Almost Any Ability ORAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just here to say that with the new threats rising it's getting harder and harder to fit a decent keldeo check in your team. Including the fact that most keldeo checks/counters can be dealt with just by swaping ability on keldeo. And because of that keldeo is getting sort of impredictable, from the classic adaptability keldeo to deal with stall to swift swim keldeo to wreck offense. Even defensive keldeo is kinda too good imo.
Here's a calc to prove my point : 252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Jellicent: 186-220 (46 - 54.4%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

The fact that keldeo can hit on phisical and special side makes it even worse.

I'm really wondering why weavile got banned instead of keldeo. I mean when you think about it, keldeo can wall weavile.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just here to say that with the new threats rising it's getting harder and harder to fit a decent keldeo check in your team. Including the fact that most keldeo checks/counters can be dealt with just by swaping ability on keldeo. And because of that keldeo is getting sort of impredictable, from the classic adaptability keldeo to deal with stall to swift swim keldeo to wreck offense. Even defensive keldeo is kinda too good imo.
Here's a calc to prove my point : 252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Jellicent: 186-220 (46 - 54.4%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

The fact that keldeo can hit on phisical and special side makes it even worse.

I'm really wondering why weavile got banned instead of keldeo. I mean when you think about it, keldeo can wall weavile.
252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Weavile Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 146-172 (45.2 - 53.2%) -- 32.8% chance to 2HKO

The only Keldeo that can wall Weavile is the physically defensive Poison Heal one, and though I never used it myself I don't think it's the best set it can have.

I agree with you however. Keldeo seems to get more and more overpowered, and so called ''counters'' aren't even real counters. Some days ago my Dry Skin Sylveon got 2HKO'd (and the rest of my team followed) by a Tinted Lens Keldeo because I expected an Adaptability set.

252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Weavile Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 146-172 (45.2 - 53.2%) -- 32.8% chance to 2HKO

The only Keldeo that can wall Weavile is the physically defensive Poison Heal one, and though I never used it myself I don't think it's the best set it can have.

I agree with you however. Keldeo seems to get more and more overpowered, and so called ''counters'' aren't even real counters. Some days ago my Dry Skin Sylveon got 2HKO'd (and the rest of my team followed) by a Tinted Lens Keldeo because I expected an Adaptability set.
My point exacly, every counter can be dealt with another ability or item
Water absorb doublade--> mold breaker
celebi/jellicent--> tinted lens
Faster checks (thunderus/alakazam...) swift swim/scarf (I've seen it before)
The only thing that seems to always scheck keldeo is gale wing users. But most teams are prepared for them.

Also did I mention it centralises the meta ? Maybe a little ?

And saying it walls weavile was kinda to exagerate my point, not really an argument. But defensive keldeo is still a pain like here

Edit: Max Sdef/hp ph jellicent with psych up is the only keldeo counter i can think off that counters all keldeo forms.

Last edited:

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Yeah, I haven't played AAA in a couple of weeks.

I agree with Motherlove that Keldeo is much more of a threat than Weavile.

It is not as centralizing as an Aerilate Dnite or Lando, but definitely harder to check/counter than Weavile was.

I've played a few matches with some dumb deo-s cheese team that I threw together and I have to say that Tinted Lense Skymin is really cool. The ability to blast through checks with STAB Seed Flare/Air Slash is p cool :]]

Some other things I've tried that ppl have likely tried before me:

Defiant + Rock Polish lando-t (http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-164663996)

lo + sheer force gene (see game above, doesn't put in that much work but still ok)

yeah that's about it but this tier looks like a lot of fun

Last edited:
Sry if I'm not allowed to mention unreleased mons, but I came up with a pretty scary looking set that might be worth mentioning...

Volcanion @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Modest
EVs: 248 HP, 252 SpA, 8 Spe
~Fire Blast
~Steam Eruption
~Sludge Wave/something else, idk
~filler

If you haven't heard about it, here's what Steam Eruption does: it's Water-type move with a base power of 110. It has better accuracy than Hydro Pump (95% accuracy) and has a 30% chance to burn. It's essentially an ultra-Scald. And Sheer Force + LO boosted STABs coming off of a base 130 SpA...yeah, have fun eating it up. (Also, if you can come up with a better EV spread and a filler, please, tell meh.)

I'm not too experienced with AAA, but I just thought I'd share this. As a side note, Steam Eruption isn't on the calc yet (obviously), so use Fire Blast as an indicator to show how powerful it is (unless Fire Blast is super effective or something, in which case, you're on your own).

EDIT: I just now realize there's a thing called Adaptability, but then again, Sheer Force prevents LO recoil.

This is a pretty fun set (that I actually laddered to the top 10 with on a full gimmick team), but it's surprisingly effective and really funny to use:

Mamoswine @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Earthquake (Earth power is incompatible, plus, being mixed can be good)
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Sleep Talk (Because Breloom is annoying)

What three things check Mamoswine? Let's see...Defensive Keldeo, Suicune, Bulky Water types, Skarmory, etc. So I basically found out that Mamoswine gets freeze dry, slapped a specs on it, gave it adaptability, and called it a day. After building a team around it with gimmicks like prankster copycat samurott, fridge victini, and WP unburden terrakion, something weird happened and it actually worked.

Replay against New Old Competitor (who uses semistall):
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-167155404

Also:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 296-352 (73.2 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Jellicent: 320-380 (79.4 - 94.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Mamoswine Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 286-338 (85.6 - 101.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Mamoswine Freeze Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 364-432 (94.3 - 111.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

I know this is a bit abrupt, but Protean is now banned. It's too easy to spam, and gives pokemon the capacity to do so much with one set that other abilities are really pushed to the side, protean spam and some adaptability backed my moldy hazards was way too common and good, so Protean is now banned.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
I know this is a bit abrupt, but Protean is now banned. It's too easy to spam, and gives pokemon the capacity to do so much with one set that other abilities are really pushed to the side, protean spam and some adaptability backed my moldy hazards was way too common and good, so Protean is now banned.
Welp Lance's team is useless now so I stand a chance

And by extension my team is useless now </3

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
I just want to put out there that this is the reason metas go to shit, and its people go elsewhere. Lets give the comm zero imput and give a few sentences reasoning for a massive ban. I am sure you guys had major conversation on this, so can you expand on this and shed some light from those convos here? This isint going to be pretty, and not because of me (i for one am neutral on this)

I just want to put out there that this is the reason metas go to shit, and its people go elsewhere. Lets give the comm zero imput and give a few sentences reasoning for a massive ban. I am sure you guys had major conversation on this, so can you expand on this and shed some light from those convos here? This isint going to be pretty, and not because of me (i for one am neutral on this)
A protean ban idea has been in the air for quite some time. If we're talking ladder: Kl4ng gets to number 1 with 5 protean mons on the AAA ladder fairly easily. Lance gets to number 1 on AAA ladder with 5 protean mons as well. In fact, based on ladder rankings alone, 4 out of 5 (if i'm not mistaken) people in the top 5 use protean spam. It is literally on half the teams in the tier. It practically has no counters. Protean deoxys-s is one of the most terrifying revenge killers in the tier. Protean espeed rips apart offense, and if you happen to survive, guess what? Another espeeder takes you down. It's nearly impossible to stall. It practically mandated SF LO Gengar on every single team for a revenge killer, because LITERALLY NOTHING else could successfully revenge kill protean without taking at least half health.

I personally wasn't in the convo, but it seemed pretty obvious that protean is broken.

Sry if I'm not allowed to mention unreleased mons, but I came up with a pretty scary looking set that might be worth mentioning...

Volcanion @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Modest
EVs: 248 HP, 252 SpA, 8 Spe
~Fire Blast
~Steam Eruption
~Sludge Wave/something else, idk
~filler

If you haven't heard about it, here's what Steam Eruption does: it's Water-type move with a base power of 110. It has better accuracy than Hydro Pump (95% accuracy) and has a 30% chance to burn. It's essentially an ultra-Scald. And Sheer Force + LO boosted STABs coming off of a base 130 SpA...yeah, have fun eating it up. (Also, if you can come up with a better EV spread and a filler, please, tell meh.)

I'm not too experienced with AAA, but I just thought I'd share this. As a side note, Steam Eruption isn't on the calc yet (obviously), so use Fire Blast as an indicator to show how powerful it is (unless Fire Blast is super effective or something, in which case, you're on your own).

EDIT: I just now realize there's a thing called Adaptability, but then again, Sheer Force prevents LO recoil.
Firstly, I'm pretty sure people can figure out lo+sheer force on their own by now :)
Other than that, Not too sure it's the best ability to be honest. Since you have no speed investment, you probably want to stallbreak and because most of volanion's moves are stabs, adaptability looks better, maybe with specs.
Not to mention that what makes steam eruption so good is the burn chance. When looking at the moves you are suggesting. The first thing that comes to mind is serene grace (goes well with slugge bomb too)

Volcanion looks like a cool pokemon, can even run mixed sets. but i doubt that sheer force is the best ability for it.

So I wanted to get a few words on my team. I thought my team was a bit gimmicky until coming second place in a tour with it. I play on showdown all the time, but I've never made a forum post before. I'd call myself semi new to the meta, but I still do pretty decent with my team.

I'll start by saying that I use a standard gale wings honchkrow set and a drought houndoom->mega set, those seem like they would be pretty common sets. I also have a magic bounce garchomp, because chompy's regular abilities arent really that great and magic bounce is good on anything. Now lets get to the other 3.

Skarmory Check (Jolteon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Shadow Ball

That one is what it's nickname says, a check to skarmory+other steel types. I don't know if it's just me or not, but I see lots of skarmorys, and its good to be able to get rid of them for the rest of my team to shred through them. This also checks other bulky steel types like eviolite doublade. I went with hp fighting over fire because I haven't run into any scizor mawile or klefki yet in AAA, so fighting would be better for things like heatran.

Brain Damaged (Rampardos) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Rock Polish

471 attack+150 base power STAB move+life orb=pain. It is a bit of a game of chance with the 80% accuracy on head smash, but that hasn't become a problem too much. If it becomes a problem I'll just replace rock polish with another coverage move, scarf it, and change the ability to no guard. So far this thing 1-2 hit KOs pretty much every non resist, but it's really frail so I need to be careful using it. Otherwise it's been working great.

Now for the thing that comes in once a few of their main walls are down and "cuts their team into pieces".

Papa Roach (Ambipom) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Last Resort

Only 2 moves, because it's all he needs. This thing is more accurate and faster than the rampardos, rampardos is just for the walliest of walls before I send this monster out. It has the speed to do what rampardos can't, and it can cut anyone's team into pieces.

xJownage

Droughtdoom is very underrated. I personally like staraptor or braviary as a gale wings but there are lots of possibilities. I will say that since you are running magpull jolteon, hp fire will serve you better than tbolt since neutral tbolt hits as hard as 2x hp fight. Even then, hp ice would probably be better, as there isint a lot tbolt cant hit (ferro is very uncommon in my experience). You also need to get rid of rock types and physical walls in general, such as regirock. I really think you want a special wallbreaker in there somewhere (jolt is a trapper and pivot)

Droughtdoom is very underrated. I personally like staraptor or braviary as a gale wings but there are lots of possibilities. I will say that since you are running magpull jolteon, hp fire will serve you better than tbolt since neutral tbolt hits as hard as 2x hp fight. Even then, hp ice would probably be better, as there isint a lot tbolt cant hit (ferro is very uncommon in my experience). You also need to get rid of rock types and physical walls in general, such as regirock. I really think you want a special wallbreaker in there somewhere (jolt is a trapper and pivot)
HP Fire is vulnerable to Flash Fire though, which is so common on Steel types that it is kind of pointless to have it to target them. HP Fighting is the only move SE against Steel that doesn't have any ability immunities unlike Fire and Ground which have Flash Fire and Levitate, and hits Ferro, Bisharp and Heatran for SE damage. (Tbolt is hitting Heatran harder though)

xJownage

Tran is hit for the same damage, and bisharp shouldnt be trapped anyways. Ferro really isint very common. Tbolt hits almost every steel neutrally (lol lightningrod skarm) and that is why i said hp ice might be best.

Sorry guys, I haven't been posting here much. Going forward I'm going to do my best to maintain biweekly posts to help lead/instigate discussion. Remember that if you make a lot of good posts here, you could earn a spot on the council!

xJownage
Your argument isn't completely ridiculous, and I apologize for just dropping the bomb on all of you. The council has been frustrated by how protean has roadblocked metagame diversity for some time, and we knew something had to be done. The AAA ladder has been infested with teams that spam protean, usually coupled with a (Mold Breaker) Deoxys-S lead and maybe a Sheer Force Gengar to block opposing ExtremeSpeed spam. Offensive teams with more varied abilities have a difficult time keeping up with all of the ExtremeSpeed spam, and the ridiculous power behind other moves taking out slower, bulkier pokemon. Stall teams don't have problems with ExtremeSpeed, but pokemon could easily bypass supposed counters with the appropriate powered up moves- for example, Arcanine could wreck face with Wild Charge against water types and wreck steels with Close Combat. Initially we were going to go for an ability clause, but this was more completely addressing the issue (2 proteans for adaptability spam isn't much better.) and also is a less complex ban, being concrete in nature instead of choosing an arbitrary line that was too much for one team.

In order to not drop a bomb on you guys again we are next looking to solve the issue of Keldeo's extreme power. Especially when backed by Bisharp's pursuit support, it's really hard to beat Keldeo without resorting to a water absorb fighting resist. Stuff like Latios and Celebi that should check Keldeo can't take Bisharp's extreme power, especially when both of the pair are backed by Adaptability. Most regular players probably know exactly what I'm talking about. If you go the viability ranks, Keldeo is high S and Bisharp is mid (low?) S. They're the only S rank pokemon besides Deoxys-S, and they pose a more direct threat. Personally I would like to ban Adaptability- it's a bit like Protean in nature, and a ban really only hurts a few mons who I personally find to be overpowered right now. Bisharp will still have tough claws which is ALMOST as good as Adaptability, and Mamoswine can switch to Refrigerate. Keldeo has a lot of other solid options to use. Terrakion will probably see a drop in viability, but it's not as good as the others with the reintroduction of Deoxys formes and Aegislash anyways. I think an Adaptability ban will fix the current issue with Keldeo, and it will further diversify the legitimate choices for an offensive ability in AAA. This is what I really want to see as a tier leader, great diversity that isn't hampered by anything being way better than everything else. I think a ban is warranted here because Adaptability Keldeo is really difficult to handle when supported correctly. The other option is to ban Keldeo outright, but I feel it's other sets deserve a chance and the other Adaptability users are a bit unhealthy as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)