XY OU Blurred Lines - MegaCham Sand Balance (1703)

Intro

I'm not good at introductions but whatever, this is my latest team. Technically it is a sand team because I have a setter but T-tar is here as a niche counter to many of MegaCham's common checks. I chose not to go down the whole Keldeo or fighting type/Pinsir/Celebi/Excadrill/Dragon or Fairy/T-Tar route, even if it is the most successful type of sand team right now. I wanted to show the power of Medicham as a team player, not as a 3rd wheel.

Screenshot (18).png
Laddering on a new alt:
Screenshot (20).png

Boasting a 598 attack stat with a jolly nature and a plethora of coverage, priority to suit your needs I felt that with the right support Medicham could work well.

Flying spam priority stops Medicham in its tracks. So do ghost and some psychic types. Say hello to ScarfTar, outspeeding positive natured 115's he'll play mind games all day and stops the MegaZards too.

Steel and Electric types are a nuisance for T-Tar and Medicham alike, oh and Slowbro and Suicune too. Fast Specs Zone is a pretty good stop to the aforementioned and paired with Celebi is a nice Volt-Turn core that I've only just realised my team has!

Keldeo counter, SR setter, Steel lure, Status sponge, Rotom counter yeah celebi is UU but still fits the bill in the OU metagame. Benn playing around with Phys ans Spec def variants, either way a solid poke in general.

Clefairy has long since earnt its place in the metagame and on my team, stops Greninja, CM destroys all. And is a very good mixed wall pivot that this team appreciates.

The last member of my team needed to fulfil two roles, speed control for Medicham and to get rid of screens/hazards. Physically defensive latias is no joke, most people expect LO fast defog, Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Knight. Yeah very good midgame poke that takes hits on both sides of the spectrum and checks more pokes than the less bulky variant.

The Team

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Psycho Cut
- High Jump Kick

This gen medicham didn't get much love because of Mega Mawile and Aegislash and Lucario. the prior two being counters and the latter being a much more successful fighting type in general. Jolly because speed ties, the added power doesn't make a difference on this team. Shiny cuz wynaut? The moveset was troubling me however. A Fake Out plus Bullet Punch can take down MegaVoir and guarantees a mega evolve and has +3 priority. BP finishes of weakened foes, Psycho Cut is for reliability and HJK nukes pretty much everything bar a select few psychic types.

"I got 99 problems but physical walls ain't one"
  • 252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 213-251 (70.5 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (This is not a switchin people!)
  • 252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mandibuzz: 271-321 (64 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (And neither is this)
  • 252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 228-268 (54.2 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Nor this)
  • 252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 201-237 (60.1 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (*coughs*)
  • 252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 153-181 (39.8 - 47.1%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (-_-)
  • 252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 252-297 (82.8 - 97.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (Fake Out + HJK)

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
-
Stone Edge
- Pursuit
-
Earthquake

The best scarfer in the game for what it is meant to kill. EdgeQuake and Dual STAB dark moves with a 134 attack stat and effectively 115+ speed is insane. Checks flying spam and counters Mega-Pinsir, Lati Twins and more. I opted for T-Tar over a pursuit trapper like Bisharp because of his rock typing, speed and higher special bulk. Sand is pretty much the dominant force this meta alongside stall and a few HO teams, it breaks sashes nullifies items like lefties even further and has the most abusable boosts in sdef and ability usage like sand rush and sand force.

"All the right places"
  • 252 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 270-318 (66.8 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery (I'd easily sacrifice a burn/taunt lol to wreck this)
  • 252 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 229-271 (82.6 - 97.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage​
  • 252 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 182-216 (46.1 - 54.8%) -- 55.9% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery (I'd risk a burn for damage on this)

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 44 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

212 Speed to slam Suicune with a Specs Tbolt before it sets up or burns me. Nearly always OHKO's Ferrothorn as U-Turn from Celebi knocks it within range. Takes out rocky helmet Skarmory with ease. Has 11 resistance and 1 immunity... let that sink in. Zone often gets a hit off each game and crucially weakens some bulky mons like MegaVenu throughout the match. Most importantly deters bulky water types from getting much say in the momentum of the game.

"You just got Zone'd"
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 428-506 (105.9 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Same goes for Slowbro and Choiced Talonflame)
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 184-217 (50.5 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 229-270 (75.3 - 88.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (Try and switchin in again)

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature

- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Celebi is often the unsung hero hero of the team. As previously mentioned it lures in many pokemon that Magnezone can fire off a hard hit on. SR setter, chip damage, continuous recovery etc. One thing that does bug me is the number of psychic types I have on this team, it hasn't caused me to lose just yet but choosing a synergetic 6th member was extremely tricky and Latias is probably only temporary. Celebi is too a status sponge and am considering a more physically defensive set but so far the lack of it hasn't hindered its usefulness. Pairs well with Pursuit trapping T-Tar too! As the time travel pokemon it can really speed up the game with a twitch reactions from the opponent and a U-Turn into Zone.

"Oh why won't senpai notice me?"
  • No calcs here except 6.5% to 50% damage from rocks means that Celebi's presence is always felt.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

The most notorious Clefable set can smash through unprepared teams and decimates Scizors on the switch. The credit goes to Tele for the Evs iirc, this allows Clef to dodge the 2HKO from the LO Hydro Pump off Greninja. Simple really, if you see a lack of a special wall, remove it with the rest of the team and watch as your opponent didn't realise how important Steel types are this gen (namely Heatran). Immune to sand and toxic stalling this is what I often beat stall with once Mew or Sableye is history. Tricks are bound to stop the effectiveness of this set however, therefore it is wise to take note of common trick users like the Lati Twins.

"I'm fairy now bitch"
  • Don't really needed calcs except 2HKO on all the common steel types without any boosts; Scizor, Ferro, Skarm and Exca.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

- Defog
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse
- Icy Wind

The hardest slot to fill I find when teambuilding is the last. I had rocks, I wanted hazard control and speed support to aid MegaCham but didn't want to increase reliance on Celebi and Clefable to handle fighting types, hence why Excadrill is not on this team. The first two moves are self explanatory, Dragon Pulse is there as a nice STAB but the crux of the set is Icy Wind for slowing down key fast threats and Ko'ing Lando's and nullifying any benefits that the opponents evs have in order to recover some hp. Max Def is more of a gen V set with CM however once I started using this it became pretty good. I was suggested 128 or so speed evs for something but I forget what it was for. Max Hp helps a lot and allows Latias to stick around for more than 2 Draco's like its counterpart set. (Edit: Testing Excadrill in this slot as an SD spinner, who needs to slow them down when I can just speed up?)

"Why won't anyone look at my vast movepool?"
  • Latias is again defensive, I guess one thing that should be noted is a 3HKO on diggersby with either STAB...not much else, it lives pretty much anything checks Keldeo nicely and once the first Knock-Off has been used it can sponge them all day.
OR

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-
Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

The testing with Excadrill has gone...superbly! However I think for the sake of the RMT I'll leave the last slot up to you. Excadrill sitting in the back shuts down any set up sweeping attempts and punishes Thundy's prankster T wave. Air balloon allows it to get an SD off common pokes like Garchomp, Landorous etc. Only 3/4 sand turns are needed for this mole to leave a mark in your team. It makes a lot more sense to speed yourself up than to slow the opponent down because icy wind is heavily reliant on switching out, as was T wave on latias (ground types like Lando). It depends on the mood your in and if a lot of people in your rating range have faced the team and know the Latias set already, think of Exca as a substitute not a 7th member. He deserves a description though because he was regularly interchanged with Latias on my alt DaftMunkey. Spin is more reliable than Defog as to not lure in Bisharps and keeps rocks up, but it does mean things like screens are bad. Exca is good Vs Hyper Offense because of his insane speed in the sand. Double STAB is more than enough with T-Tar being the main man to fling rocks at flying mons. Excadrill still lures in pokes like PhyDef MegaZor but can also do some serious damage to opposing Ferros without the reliance on Magezone. I thought of Lefties for a while but Air Balloon is just much better, it allows me to beat Mamoswine 1v1 and allows Exca to take at least 2 Hits before spinning or wrecking the opposing team at +2.

"My Earthquake brings all the birds to the yard"

Afterword

So far this team has reached it's fullest potential in my hands, that is why I am Rmt'ing it. I haven't included a threats list because this team can handle most styles of play TR, HO, Stall fairly well and isn't sacrificing one thing for another. If there is a glaring weakness please point it out. Some replays are below, I urge you to check them out. Thanks for reading!

Replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-167005092 (Vs Heart Attacks 1900+ Team)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-167002531 (I repeat, Latios is not a switchin)

Last edited:
Hey, nice team! Why is sand offense everywhere these days? Meh, I'm being a hypocrite, let's get onto my suggestions:

Lati gets excess to Ice Beam, so I have no idea why you're running Icy Wind...

Excadrill should run Rock Slide over SD as like you say, EQ can bait out birds and Rock Slide can kill them. In sand, Excadrill is already powerful enough.

The rest of the team is fine and lookin' good.

Hope it helps!
-PK

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Don't have much to say, but I think Baton Pass is favored over U-turn on Celebi because it lets your escape trapping. U-turn is nonSTAB and not invested anyway so the only thing you lose is a little damage.

I would prefer Drill personally because Scarftar can't outspeed Greninja, who does a lot of work vs your team.

Hey, nice team! Why is sand offense everywhere these days? Meh, I'm being a hypocrite, let's get onto my suggestions:
Lati gets excess to Ice Beam, so I have no idea why you're running Icy Wind...

Excadrill should run Rock Slide over SD as like you say, EQ can bait out birds and Rock Slide can kill them. In sand, Excadrill is already powerful enough.

The rest of the team is fine and lookin' good.

Hope it helps!
-PK
Puzzle King Icy Wind was to slow down common scarfed switchins like jirachi and is helpful for lowering speed for MegaCham, though you're are right at hinting it is situational, Latias is mainly a bulky pivot when I use her.

I'll replace SD as suggested for coverages sake. (I just like having one set up sweeper that's physical is all).

V0x The main reason I chose U-Turn over Baton Pass was the 5% or so it does to Ferrothorn, it allows Zone to guarantee the Hp Fire OHKO if rocks weren't up.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 332-392 (94.3 - 111.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

True pursuit trapping is a problem but often I can play mind games with recover and SR for long enough to get a safe switch to Clefable.

Thanks for the help, any thoughts on replacing Excadrill with Greninja?

Hey there, cool team ^^
I would suggest running adamant > jolly on medicham! as you only really miss out on timid zard, mgarde and jirachi! and the extra power will prove significant! however that's just a nitpick. I would also run ice punch > bullet punch! as gliscor and lando else way will just run over your team! alternatively you could use ice beam in TTar! but it does not fit it as easily amd is easily dreamed setup forder for stuff like cm clefable, crocune, sub cm keldeo, sd excadrill, dd zard X just to name a few.

I would run excadrill over lati, a stacked fighting weakness is not a problem with three resists, I would also run rockslide > sd, as sd should mostly be used of you don't need rapid spin. Rockslide allows you to kill: thundu after rocks, talon, zard Y, staraptor and a lot more. Life orb is also an option, but it'll give you a significantly harder time against opposing sand, ones cele is gone or weakened.

Latias will make your team very weak to zard X, as off it gets op a dd (Latias amd clefable is setup forder for zard, celebii is for both zard and mega zard) it's basically gg, (lol fake out, switch out) therefore I think exca is the better choice.

I would also run baton pass > u-turn on celebii to avoid pesky pursuit trappers.

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch
- Psycho Cut
- High Jump Kick

Excadrill @ Air Balloon/Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
- Baton Pass

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Crunch/Ice Beam
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Earthquake/Ice Beam

Note:
-if I slashed two moves or items, the first one is what I belied is the best(air ballon is better than life orb as an example)
-highlighted is changes

WideTomato My reasons for running bullet punch are this: the huge attack stat + double priority allows cham to punish frail sweepers and can kill Mgarde before risking a speed tie. I do not have issues with lando as it usually gets worn down easily by Rocks and Exca/Latias. I did make the change to exca in response to a Char X sweep. I love SD over LO and rock slide because having set up sweepers on both sides of the spectrum make the team nicely balanced and not reliant on one or the other to do all the work/lose my wind condition. If I didn't run Jolly on Cham then a lot of Jolly 90+s would outspeed me and going from 599 atk to 656 may seem good Cham on this team does miss the speed greatly. Also Jolly still allows all the 2hkos/Ohkos on the aforementioned physical walls. Like I said earlier Bpass is not on Celebi to guarantee the Hp Fire kill on Ferro and is nice for breaking rocky helmet Skarmory sturdies.

I think I covered it all. Oh and rock slide works well with your set but not necessarily the way I play Excadrill.

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The main reason I chose U-Turn over Baton Pass was the 5% or so it does to Ferrothorn, it allows Zone to guarantee the Hp Fire OHKO if rocks weren't up.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 332-392 (94.3 - 111.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
Ferrothorn will recover this HP on the switch by virtue of Leftovers and can't do much to Magnezone, anyway. Baton Pass allows you to escape Pursuit from a range of Pokemon, including Tyranitar above all. Even hitting for super effective damage, U-turn is abysmally weak. By the way, have you considered running Ice Punch on Mega Medicham over Fake Out (or even Bullet Punch)? Your team doesn't look very weak to Gardevoir, so having the Fake Out/BP combo for it alone seems far from mandatory given the coverage that Ice Punch can provide. This could also free room on your Latias not to have to run Icy Wind, with which you could try standard LO Latias.

It hasn't caused me any trouble at all - talking about gengar here. Sand, Bullet Punch, Sdef Celebi Turn into ScarfTar...sure Celebi takes 65% but It has reliable recovery.

very nice team. It looks like banded Crawdaunt could be a big threat u have sme faster things to revenge it but nothing wants to switch in and every time it comes in it can deal a lot of damage. Did u already face some Crawdaunt with this team?

I did yeah and well...its close every time but as you say banded Crawdaunt is often predicted around + frail. The LO variant is quickly killed by sand + LO recoil and fake out.

Hi man, nice team. I wanto to suggest you some thinks to fix your team.

Do you really need Magnezone with M-Medi in the team? Medi slams by itself steel type 'mon like Ferrothorn and 2HKOs Skarmory and M-Scizor.
I think a faster electric type for bird checking could be more useful than Magnezone. I suggest to replace it with Raikou, AVest version. It also allows Latios' trap (voltswitching on Tyra), that is a real trouble for Medicham.
Raikou @ Assault Vest
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Shadow Ball

Use Excadrill over Latias, the mole works very well in sand, and it also makes pressure on Lando-T that is a problem for Ice Punch-less Medicham.
Use Air Ballon imho to gain a free switch in on ground moves.

Finally I would replace Clefable with BandAzumarill. It helps a lot against Greninja and Keldeo, it has also a strong priority that hits and rkills Landorus and Excadrill that could be a tad problematic for the team. Moreover band Knock Off is really useful against stall team.
Azumarill @ Choice Band
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk/252 HP/4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)-
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Waterfall

Anyway gj, it's a real solid team overall!
The choice of Celebi is interesting, it fills very well the role of srocker and Keldeo counter.

Congrats for the peak.

Enki Yeah I agree about Raikou, seems liike hed bring a lot to the table, its just I hate protecting ferros that reduce megachams potential switchins and HJKS via the 50% crash damage.

Also AV raikou would stop greninja in its tracks and keldeo is hard walled by celebi anyway.

Thanks for the rate, I think I will change out Zone for Raikou, but I'll test it before I do.

Enki Yeah I agree about Raikou, seems liike hed bring a lot to the table, its just I hate protecting ferros that reduce megachams potential switchins and HJKS via the 50% crash damage.

Also AV raikou would stop greninja in its tracks and keldeo is hard walled by celebi anyway.

Thanks for the rate, I think I will change out Zone for Raikou, but I'll test it before I do.
If you run AV Raikou, you may want to run:

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Extrasensory
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

HP Flying is inferior to Extrasensory on every target that matters, and HP Ice since you outspeed a fair number of dragons anyways.

You could argue that you need Shadow Ball for the Lati pair, but a CB Azu or Clef makes handy work of it anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)