XY UU Another Cro-Cune Team

Well, I have been playing XY UU for just a few months, but in this time, with my past experience and a lot of videos that I saw, I decided to build a team with my favourite competitive mons in UU right now. As you can read in the title, Cro-cune is the basis of the team and the main winning condition, but the rest of the team can give me the victory, too. Let's start:

Suicune was, of course, the first addition to the team. Cro-cune is an awesome stallbreaker, and only susceptible to very powerful physical atackers, taunt users and trickers.

Shaymin was added as a powerful special sweeper, synergizing with Suicune the electric resistance. Rest allows Shay to cure itself and then switch to eliminate the sleep.

Mega Absol joined the party as my main set-up sweeper with it's sword dance, and providing sucker punch's priority too.

With this offensive mons in the team, I needed SR support and a way to eliminate them. Donphan is another option, but I opted for Empoleon, who can roar the foes to eliminate it's boosts.

Then, CB Entei came to complete a FWT core, giving a powerful ES and FB just to kill anything that comes in to receive it.

To end the team, I wanted another mon useful vs stall, and I opted for sub nasty plot Azelf, a quite strange set, but it can surprise people that expects it to be a SR taunt explosion suicide lead.

In depth:

Cro-cune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 SpD
Bold nature
IVs: 0 Atk
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Calm Mind
-Scald

It is the usual Cro-cune set. EVs are distributed to give a 9-finished number of HP, improving leftovers recovery and minimizing hazards damage. I have to use it beeing careful with trick, taunt and water absorb users, in special Chandelure (but it doesn't like to come into a Scald), Azelf (it doesn't want to receive a scald, too), Vaporeon (completely walls me), etc.

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 6 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid nature
-Seed Flare
-Earth Power
-Air Slash Psychic
-Rest

Life orb Shaymin is GOD imo. She can spam seed flare, threatening even special walls because of it's high probability of lowering foe's special defense. This makes very difficult to switch into her. Earth Power provides great coverage in special for fire types (aka Houndoom, who is outspeeded before mega evolving, Arcanine, Chande, Darmanitan, Entei, Infernape, etc.), and air slash psyshic is a great move against Chesnaught, and Crobat in the switch.

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified => Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
-Sword Dance
-Sucker Punch
-Knock Off
-Superpower

My mega slot. Absol is my favourite mega from UU, because it's ability and it's power, beeing able to set up in front of a wall and then sweep spaming knock off and sucker punch. I can't run both knock off and play rough, wich would give me an excelent coverage aginst figh, dark and dragon mons, but I hope I can use it in ORAS. Meanwhile, superpower is a great move against M-Aggron. 6 SpD EVs will give Porygons an atack boost if they run download. Just a minor detail, but really useful.

Napoleón Bonaparte @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD
Calm nature
-Stealth Rocks
-Defog
-Roar
-Scald

The emperor penguin is my stealth rocker and defogger too, economizing team slots. I decided to make him full specially deffensive to take all hits he can while setting up and eliminating hazards. Roar combines perfect with SR, and can cripple set-up or sub mons, and Scald can improve it's resistance to physical atacks by burning all (not named Infernape, Arcanine, Entei or Darmanitan) physical threads.

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant nature
-Extreme Speed
-Flare Blitz Sacred Fire
-Bulldoze Flare Blitz
-Iron Head Stone Edge

CB Entei gives me a good way of revenge killing, hitting quite hard to everything except ghosts, wich fears it's other moves (Chande don't like it's bulldoze Stone Edge, Trevenant it's Flare Blitz Sacred Fire and Sableye can't take two SF), steels wich don't like it's fire STAB, and rocks, wich fears bulldoze and iron head walls me. Also, iron head is a great move against Florges. Fairies in general are seriously injured by sacred fire. I decided to run both FB and SF to have a secondary fire STAB when SF PP's have been used.

Yeah, is better to burn half of the time the foes. Thanks for Dudeman130498 and Bouffalant.

Azelf @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 6 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid nature
-Substitute Taunt Energy Ball => necesary for Quagsire & Swampert
-Nasty Plot Dazzling Gleam => Better coverage against Hydre
-Fire Blast
-Psyshock

Azelf is my second asset against stall. I'm actually running sub nasty plot + leftovers, but i'm seriously considering a taunt + lum berry/life orb one. Taunt is a great move against stall, and guarantees almost a free nasty plot, wich I can achieve enormous amounts of special atack to destroy all in my way except Houndoom. Honchkrow is another problem, specially without the substitute in my moveset.

Suggested by Bouffalant and Dudeman130498, I decided to run a taunt + 3 atacks Azelf, but the enormous problem of Quagsire and Swampert when Shaymin has left made me change taunt for energy ball. Also helps with Hippo, Starmie, Vapo, Suicune, etc.

Well, this is my UU team. I don't post this to show you an excellent team for your use, I do it expecting your help to improve it. I hope you enjoyed the team and can help me to improve it. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Hey man, this looks like a solid team.

The first major thing I'd suggest though is to change Entei's set to Sacred Fire/Extremespeed/Stone Edge/a filler of your choice. The main reason to use Entei over the various other physical fire types is to Spam a high BP attack with a 50% chance to burn switchins that generally hate burns like Swampert. Stone Edge provides a stronger way to hit Chandelure as well as Aerodactyl on the switch if you want to make that prediction. The filler can be Iron Head like you already have or Flare Blitz as a more powerful alternative once you've already burned stuff.

Another weakness I can see with your team is that given you have only 1 resist to Electric, Volt-turn cores could really ruin your game once a chain gets started. For example if a Raikou switches into your Empoleon, it can just Volt Switch as you switch in your Shaymin, threaten that out with Scarf Darmanitan, etc. I'm not saying that this warrants any changes but if you do see a team that can do this to you, it's immensely important to maintain hazard control at all times.

Something I personally prefer is to use Synthesis over Rest on Shaymin, as this gives your opponent less free turns, and you can cure statuses anyway by just switching out. Psychic also has merits over Air Slash as a more powerful and accurate option that hits all the same things in addition to Crobat who can otherwise get in for free.

And finally, I'd consider running just three attacks on Azelf because literally every Pokemon in UU can break your subs no problem (except hippo which will just whirlwind you out), and subs will just wear your HP down faster. Your options include Dazzling Gleam for Hydreigon and other dragons or Shadow Ball for Victini and Psychic types in general. If you want to use something that can make a good use of Substitute, you can try out SubCM Jirachi with Psyshock and Moonblast (note that every steel type and Victini wall this, however) that has a lot more setup opportunities against both offense and stall.

I hope you find my suggestions useful, and good luck using this team in the future!

Well, sacred fire is a quite better option over flare blitz, I forgot this move when I built the team.
Synthesis is quite good in Shaymin, too. I will try to use she with it and then I'l decide wich move I'll use.
Seeing your opinion about Azelf, I decided taunt > substitute, since is more usual to kick Azelf rather than stutusing it. Taunt allows me to block status too, and hazards, recovery and phazing, but I'll lose againts sucker punch users, wich is not good for me. If I see that this weakness is too bad, I'll change back again. Thanks :)

Hey Alfonso Dragonlord , there's not much I have to say since Dudeman kinda hit the nail on this one. However, there are some other suggestions I'd make.

As Dudeman said, three attacks on Azelf is probably better for you, as Taunt doesn't really do much for you at all, as does Sub. I would suggest changing it to Dazzling Gleam, so you can hit Dark-types such as Hydreigon and Krookodile for super-effective damage. With your current set, you get walled by one of the most common mons in the meta, which is kinda bad for a sweeper.

Honestly, your Entei set is kinda weird. Iron Head doesn't hit much besides Fairy-types, who already get smacked by Sacred Fire, and Rock-types, who either can tank one and check Entei very easily (Aero) or can tank multiple and just wall Entei as well (Rhyp). Because of this, I would suggest going Stone Edge over Iron Head. I also think that Entei's Sacred Fire PP is somewhat limited which can screw it over later on in the match; because of this, and also because Stone Edge has better coverage than Bulldoze does, I would recommend putting back Flare Blitz on the set, except over Bulldoze. This gives Entei a good STAB move which can be used in case it runs out of Sacred Fire PP.

Lastly, I would just put the 68 SpD EVs in Defense, because since you'll be boosting Special Defense with Calm Mind you'll want as much physical bulk as possible.

Hope I helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)