Halloween Party Competition

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Attention!

For anyone who is actually planning on using Super Gourgeist, the Pumpkaboo online distribution that started today has a chance (I repeat, a chance) of having Insomnia. This is, so far, the only way of having a Super Gourgeist with its Hidden Ability (normally, only Average Gourgeist can).

Does this change anything for this competition, and for Super Gourgeist as a whole?

Hi just a little update on my giveaway. I now offer 6IV 31/31/31/31/31/31 Quiet Honedge clones for FREE. I will add a 0 speed IV soon too.
I have a 5IV adamant frisk SS pumpkaboo but I don't know how to/can't clone. If you (or anyone) can clone it, I'd love to contribute.

I was thinking of giving away Shiny Adamant Shuppets in dream ball with those same egg moves, but maybe I'll hold off if you're going to.

I plan on entering. Anyone have ideas/suggestions for my supposed team?
Mega Gengar (already bred and trained) Timid 31/x/31/31/31/31 Infestation/Toxic/Venoshock/Destiny Bond (might change that moveset up a bit as it seems gimmicky)
Spritiromb (need to breed)
Trevenant Brave Harvest @ Sitrus Berry 31/31/31/x/31/0 Shadow Claw/Horn Leach/Trick Room/Phantom Force (I have feel like it wont be right without my MourningWood on my team for some reason)
Ageislash (fogot I had one bred and intially was looking for a Duskull *facepalms*) Brave 31/x/31/31/31/0 King's Shield/Sacred Sword/Flash Cannon/Shadow Sneak
XL Gougeist (have need to EV Train) I'll admit from the new Event, so kinda bad, just wanted one with Insomia in this size to use
Cofagrius (need to breed, but hope to get via EnGarde's if they are willing)
HOWEVER I am considering bringing in a Chandelure if I can get one bred.

Mega Gengar (already bred and trained) Timid 31/x/31/31/31/31 Infestation/Toxic/Venoshock/Destiny Bond (might change that moveset up a bit as it seems gimmicky)
Trevenant Brave Harvest @ Sitrus Berry 31/31/31/x/31/0 Shadow Claw/Horn Leach/Trick Room/Phantom Force (I have feel like it wont be right without my MourningWood on my team for some reason)
Ageislash (fogot I had one bred and intially was looking for a Duskull *facepalms*) Brave 31/x/31/31/31/0 King's Shield/Sacred Sword/Flash Cannon/Shadow Sneak
XL Gougeist (have need to EV Train) I'll admit from the new Event, so kinda bad, just wanted one with Insomia in this size to use
Definitely not ideal for Gengar. Also why do you want insomnia on Gourgeist for the tournament?

not really, lots of ghost type pokemon have hypnosis
3 of them do. Gengar, spiritomb, drifblim. The only way I can see it work is on a sucker punch prediction maybe. Even if you can somehow predict a hypnosis which will not be seen often I imagine, is it worth the risk to switch in Gourgeist?

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm breeding Spiritomb, but it'll be early next week before the giveaway since I'm going to Phoenix VGCs this weekend. They will be Brave with Infiltrator and Destiny Bond, Imprison, and Pain Split. But if you guys need a Spiritomb, I'll give you one if you have a little patience :)

@AV Spiritomb: That's a good idea for an item. Thank goodness almost everything notable in the meta gets DB, but again Spiritomb will be a pain in the ass.

Definitely not ideal for Gengar. Also why do you want insomnia on Gourgeist for the tournament?
I don't want it for the Tournament. I just wanted the ability for breeding porpouses later. I THINK I'll accept one of the ones Trev is giving away though.
I'm breeding Spiritomb, but it'll be early next week before the giveaway since I'm going to Phoenix VGCs this weekend. They will be Brave with Infiltrator and Destiny Bond, Imprison, and Pain Split. But if you guys need a Spiritomb, I'll give you one if you have a little patience :)
I would be very happy for one of those even as a Spitback, And have fun in Pheonix.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
I don't want it for the Tournament. I just wanted the ability for breeding porpouses later. I THINK I'll accept one of the ones Trev is giving away though.

I would be very happy for one of those even as a Spitback, And have fun in Pheonix.
The Battle Spot forum is focused on competitive play and not collecting. Please do not come to this thread to beg for free Pokemon if you do not intend to use it for the tournament. I don't mind giving away spitbacks, but please consider this a warning.

The Battle Spot forum is focused on competitive play and not collecting. Please do not come to this thread to beg for free Pokemon if you do not intend to use it for the tournament. I don't mind giving away spitbacks, but please consider this a warning.
I do intend to compete. I'm terribely sorry I wasn't trying to beg or come across as such, I just though I'd wish you luck and state I was interested in one since it was mentioned. I plan on and have started breeding my own Spiritomb for this competition. I also plan on fixing my Mega Gengar's moveset.

I've bred shiny Flash Fire 31/x/31/31/31/31 modest Litwick with Endure in a dusk ball for this tournament. I also bred shiny Frisk 31/31/31/31/30/31 adamant Shuppet with Destony Bond, Phantom Force, Disable, and Imprison in a dream ball. I'm working on Gastly, Aegislash, Sableye, and Spiritomb as well. I most likely will not get shiny competitives in all 4 since I breed and hatch myself (Not a fan of TSV hatching, I like having my own OT). Any that I do get shiny and competitive I will be posting in a large giveaway within the next week or so.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
I do intend to compete. I'm terribely sorry I wasn't trying to beg or come across as such, I just though I'd wish you luck and state I was interested in one since it was mentioned. I plan on and have started breeding my own Spiritomb for this competition. I also plan on fixing my Mega Gengar's moveset.
Just wanted to make that crystal clear :)

That Gengar set isn't very good because stalling Gengar, even Mega Gengar, cannot last very long in a metagame where everything hits it supereffectively. Toxic is also of dubious use because other Gengar and Aegislash are immune to it, and they are shaping up to be two of the biggest threats in the metagame. You should definitely have Shadow Ball for STAB and Destiny Bond for trades. Afterwards, consider WoW, Taunt, Sub, Dazzling Gleam or Protect depending on what you want to accomplish. I suggest considering Specs or LO if you want a primarily offensive Gengar, since it hits harder than the Mega forme.

Horn Leech isn't a very good move on Trevenant because the only thing that it will be useful against is Jellicent and you have plenty of STAB for it.

Perhaps consider running Trick Room on your Cofagrigus, due to the relative slowness of your team. I know Trevenant has it, but Cofagrigus makes better use of TR due to being even slower than 0 Speed Spiritomb, Disable goodness, and better defenses.

Those are some helpful changes I would suggest, also try out the PS! ladder.

i like the concept of this tournament lol. are holiday themed tournaments common here on smogon? also how viable toes driblim seem in this tournament? also is a strategy of spreading status around and using hex for increased damage something that seems plausible in a meta with so much priority?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Any viable sets for Sableye?
I've seen a whole bunch of different sets around. There's the usual taunt/wow/recover/(foul play or knock off) one, but I've also seen sets with sucker punch or trick

i like the concept of this tournament lol. are holiday themed tournaments common here on smogon? also how viable toes driblim seem in this tournament? also is a strategy of spreading status around and using hex for increased damage something that seems plausible in a meta with so much priority?
It's a tournament held by pokemon global link (TCPi), not smogon.

I can't see hex being too useful. Both aegislash and gengar are immune to toxic, very few ghosts have access to paralysis, so the only status I expect to see much of are burns, since almost everything learns WoW. Depending on your target, it might be better to just use shadow ball twice instead of WoW + hex

It's a tournament held by pokemon global link (TCPi), not smogon.

I can't see hex being too useful. Both aegislash and gengar are immune to toxic, very few ghosts have access to paralysis, so the only status I expect to see much of are burns, since almost everything learns WoW. Depending on your target, it might be better to just use shadow ball twice instead of WoW + hex
Thanks for clarifying, I'm new to the scene this gen. You are probably a lot more experienced in the competitive scene than i am which is why i was asking. But are things such as Thunder Wave on Mismagius, Frosslass, Bannette(/mega) and Drifblim something that won't be too common?

Also to note is Drifblim is the only pokemon in this meta with the ability to use both Hypnosis and Thunder Wave for a pseudo Double-powder set that can include Hex and substitute/will-o-wisp/sucker punch/filler as a way to combat sucker punch reliant pokemon. the main flaw with this would be shadow sneak and phantom force vulnerability. unsure if Unburden can be used to take advantage of speed somehow in this high-priority meta or if trying to absorb will-o-wisps for the Flare Boost would be more viable, if any at all. just thinking out load i guess.

May be worth noting only Gengar, Spiritomb and Drifblim have hypnosis in this meta, if it hasn't been mentioned already. they can also use double status in hypnosis and will-o-wisp. food for thought

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you really want to go for the toxic + boosted move combo please use Hex instead of Venoshock. But I still don't believe that set would be very effective, Shadow Ball can 2hko everything anyway, and everything can hit Gengar super effectively in return so trying to get a toxic in and hit with Hex / stall could turn into you just losing Gengar. Also I'm sure you just CP'd the Aegislash you have available, at least I hope so, because Sacred Sword and Flash Cannon are useless here. Aegislash only needs Shadow Ball and Sneak for attacks, then you can use King's Shield (ofc) and then something like Swords Dance or even Autotomize (Worker my thoughts on a Weakness Policy set).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)