ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't need a CB for that. 140+ STAB flying-type move coming off 170+ Atk is going to hurt everything. AND there's Outrage. AND with a mere +5 Speed boost Rayquaza will tie with Palkia and be one of the fastest dragons in Ubers. +15 and it'll tie with Lati@s. AND it learns Extremespeed. AND it has an excellent typing with all the perks of a flying-type and none of the drawbacks.

And we thought Primal Groudon was broken... (though we don't know what Precipice Blade does yet)
Were the stat boosts and the base power of Dragon Ascent confirmed yet?

Were the stat boosts and the base power of Dragon Ascent confirmed yet?
No, but we can make a pretty good educated guess. Attack and Special Attack are confirmed to get the bigger boosts so probably +30 to both of those imo.

By the way, does anyone else just love the timing of showing off Mega Ray? Just before October 3rd? It's like Game Freak are just saying "Were you REALLY thinking of getting Smash Bros over ORAS?" before slapping you across the face with Dragon Ascent.

Just look at the lore I posted at the top of the page; it's clearly stating Primal Devolution as something exclusive to Groudon and Kyogre that happened only to them and then Rayquaza got a Mega to save everyone. It would honestly feel like a bit of a shoehorn to then say "THEN IT WENT PRIMAL AND TRIED TO KILL EVERYONE" imo; Ray having a Mega and Groudon/Kyogre having a Primal with that lore in mind seems a really nice story balance to me. Primal Ray would just ruin it.
"It was a primal age, early in the world's history... The natural world was overflowing with energy. That energy granted Groudon and Kyogre an overwhelming power. Seeking ever more of that energy for themselves, the two clashed again and again, and their battles cast the people and Pokémon of Hoenn into great danger. Brimming with the overwhelming power granted by the energy of nature, this transformation was named by later people "Primal Reversion." And the people called their tormentors Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre.

One Pokémon looked down upon this battle from the sky above. The Pokémon that dances in the heavens: Rayquaza. Rayquaza is venerated by the people of Hoenn as their protector and savior. When Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre had battled for 20 dawns and 20 nights, the world began to lose its natural balance and tilt toward destruction. The people, unable to endure any more, cried out to their mighty savior Rayquaza before a great stone that shone with rainbow brilliance. And a change came upon Rayquaza, weaving in the sky above Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre. Suffused in brilliant light, its body began to transform visibly. And then..."
~Main ORAS Website
the lore is incomplete though... Like what happened next? It mega evolved and then realized it actually needed to go Primal? lol XD
It's new ability is the main thing that makes a second form sound unlikely to me. Otherwise I'd still be totally banking on it. There's nothing in the lore saying anything about Primal Devolution being exclusive to the two. Just an incomplete story about how two of them can primal-devolve and one of them can mega-evolve. There's definitely still information they're waiting to fill us in on about Rayquaza. They are not telling us the full story on purpose. Even if it's not "Primal" I still kind of expect we'll find out that this is Mega Rayquaza A and there's also a Mega Rayquaza O or something. Everyone thought Charizard and Mewtwo Ys where THE megas for those two for a good while. And if anything is getting two forms in ORAs it's gonna be Rayquaza.

Last edited:
I'm guessing Mixed would work best as Mega.

Tho it would be more hit and run.

Draco Meteor
Dragon Ascent
Earthquake / V-Create (hoping for tutor move)
Extreme Speed

DD and SD will still be a thing tho.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I could imagine Delta Stream affecting SR damage ONLY if it's already present on the field. That means in singles, this will only happen if you're already facing an enemy Mega Rayquaza. Considering that the weather ends as soon as mega rayquaza swaps out, it would have to reactivate it on switching in. Since entry hazards activate before abilities, it would take full SR damage.

You can't give Mega Rayquaza a Choice Band because mega stone just saying :)
I was quoting to the person responding to a post regarding the statement GF released that Mega Rayquaza "mega evolves in a way different from other Pokemon" and the idea someone said was that it could Mega Evolve and still hold an item.

I hope that they don't mean Base Power on par with V-Create when they say it's the strongest Flying-type move...

the lore is incomplete though... Like what happened next? It mega evolved and then realized it actually needed to go Primal? lol XD
It's new ability is the main thing that makes a second form sound unlikely to me. Otherwise I'd still be totally banking on it. There's nothing in the lore saying anything about Primal Devolution being exclusive to the two. Just an incomplete story about how two of them can primal-devolve and one of them can mega-evolve. There's definitely still information they're waiting to fill us in on about Rayquaza. They are not telling us the full story on purpose. Even if it's not "Primal" I still kind of expect we'll find out that this is Mega Rayquaza A and there's also a Mega Rayquaza O or something. Everyone one thought Charizard and Mewtwo Ys where THE megas for those two for a good while. And if anything is getting two forms in ORAs it's gonna be Rayquaza.
Big difference is that Charizard and Mewtwo had absolutely zero story relevance - which is admittedly very confusing with how much they hyped up Mewtwo then said hype sort of died out - so they could do whatever they wanted with them. IN addition, those two had very specific stats upgraded - Mewtwo and Charizard Y had special stats upgraded, while the X forms had physical stats upgraded. Mega Ray's info very specifically states that both it's Attack and Special Attack are upgraded with no preference towards either one, and then goes onto say almost all it's stats are upgraded. If this was just one of two Mega Rays, I don't quite see the obvious path to take. Defensive Ray? For a Primal? Doesn't make sense to me. In addition, there's absolutely no story reason for it either. It'd be a very pointless addition to a lore that's already so strong, and again, the balance of Ray having a Mega while Groudon and Kyogre have a Primal is just too strong to me. I feel you're interpreting it a little incorrectly based on false hope for a Primal - it's very obviously leaving it open at "and then..." to make Mega Ray seem even more mysterious or have it as part of the lore that the people of Hoenn don't know or have forgotten or have vague memories of it or whatever.
Oh and also not sure what other ability they could do for a Primal that's not Delta Stream.
I really don't see any reason to believe Primal Rayquaza'll be a thing other than the fact that Groudon and Kyogre got one. They make a very clear distinction of why Rayquaza got a Mega instead of a Primal, and if it were to have a Primal I'm 100% certain they'd want to leave it open rather than outright state it like that.

Do you think they aren't doing the two mega forms thing in these games or do you think something other than Rayquaza is getting the special treatment? idk, I don't really see any of those reasons as being dead stops to why there can't be two forms. The story reason is the weakest imo, we don't even have the full story yet, lol. And they haven't used the word "instead" that's just a word you bolded and used yourself :p All they've told us that Rayquaza gets a Mega, that it will be unique in some way, and that we still don't know everything about it and its lore...

Mega Ray's info very specifically states that both it's Attack and Special Attack are upgraded with no preference towards either one, and then goes onto say almost all it's stats are upgraded.
Wait, so does that pretty much confirm that its speed is not getting an upgrade? Because if they're leaving something out, then it's gotta be speed. Rayquaza's offenses and defenses have always been equal and it would be a pretty weird move to boost, say its Sp.Def without boosting his defense.

This stinks, because Rayquaza's speed is okay for an Uber dragon but just a few more points would've made a huge difference. But I guess that after Dragon Ascent and Delta Stream they had to do something to keep Mega Rayquaza from single-handedly destroying everything. (Do you guys remember Rayquaza kicking Salamence's ass in the trailer from last month? Well, it looks like it'll actually be the other way around).

Do you think they aren't doing the two mega forms thing in these games or do you think something other than Rayquaza is getting the special treatment? idk, I don't really see any of those reasons as being dead stops to why there can't be two forms. The story reason is the weakest imo, we don't even have the full story yet, lol. And they haven't used the word "instead" that's just a word you bolded and used yourself :p All they've told us that Rayquaza gets a Mega that it will be unique in some way and that we still don't know everything about it and its lore...
Okay, sorry, they said why it gets a Mega Evolution and not a Primal Devolution. That better?

Wait, so does that pretty much confirm that its speed is not getting an upgrade? Because if they're leaving something out, then it's gotta be speed. Rayquaza's offenses and defenses have always been equal and it would be a pretty weird move to boost, say its Sp.Def without boosting his defense.

This stinks, because Rayquaza's speed is okay for an Uber dragon but just a few more points would've made a huge difference. But I guess that after Dragon Ascent and Delta Stream they had to do something to keep Mega Rayquaza from single-handedly destroying everything. (Do you guys remember Rayquaza kicking Salamence's ass in the trailer from last month? Well, it looks like it'll actually be the other way around).
Dragon Dance exists.

They probably just wanted to draw the line in the sand that primal devolution is a bad thing m'kay? Despite whatever game bonuses, it seems that the story might be treating it like shadow pokemon, power at the cost of madness. Mega-evolution is power of friendship, so the hero Rayquaza mega-evolves based on positive feelings while the other two go through devolution due to negative ones.

This isn't new, since the very first primal (Primal Dialga) was depicted as a very very bad thing too.

While there isn't any information explicitly ruling out Primal Rayquaza, there also isn't any to support it either. Please stop bringing it up. We got a mega, be happy.

Okay, sorry, they said why it gets a Mega Evolution and not a Primal Devolution. That better?
Well, however you want to word it as long as long as the implication that it can't primal devolve isn't hidden in the words. Like you could say "they explained why this form is a mega and not a primal" :p

is it just me or is your main goal on this forum to just try and shoot down every suggestion people make? I'm not meaning to get too confrontational here, I just realized suddenly that almost every conversation I see you having is about how someone's suggestion obviously won't be included in the game.

They probably just wanted to draw the line in the sand that primal devolution is a bad thing m'kay? Despite whatever game bonuses, it seems that the story might be treating it like shadow pokemon, power at the cost of madness. Mega-evolution is power of friendship, so the hero Rayquaza mega-evolves based on positive feelings while the other two go through devolution due to negative ones.

This isn't new, since the very first primal (Primal Dialga) was depicted as a very very bad thing too.

While there isn't any information explicitly ruling out Primal Rayquaza, there also isn't any to support it either. Please stop bringing it up. We got a mega, be happy.
Eh.
The issue with "Primal" Dialga is another translation issue. In the original PMD, it was Dark Dialga whowent mad because he lost control of time thanks to Darkrai's mucking around. They didn't want to call it "dark" in the english, so they tweaked the story to explain that dialga had his own primal reversion.

It makes sense where you're going with that thought, though.

*drools*

That thing is going to wreck all the things. So what if it isn't getting a boost to Speed. 1 Dragon Dance on that monster and it will sweep your team so hard that it knocks out three other teams that had nothing to do with the battle.
OK, that's an exaggeration. Actually, even people saying that this is going to break Ubers is a bit of an exaggeration. Why?
I did some basic calculations based on the 105/180/110/180/110/95 estimation on it's stats. It still has trouble taking out Lugia. Assuming that 180 is correct, a 252 Atk Adamant Mega Quaza would 7HKO on a 248 HP/252 Def Bold Lugia with Leftovers if it uses Outrage (At 150 BP, a physical Dragon Ascent would be a 5HKO). Even if it has a Choice Band (also known as 1 Dragon Dance), it would be a 1.1% chance of a 4HKO.
Powerful? Hell yeah. Wreaking everything? No. (I think a lot of people are going to be using Lugia now)

The design isn't quite as good as regular Quaza, but is fine.
Part of me hopes that Shiny Mega Rayquaza is red just so I can make a Yu-Gi-Oh reference in naming it Slifer. A guy can dream, can't he?

It said all weather. So.

Also, this: "It will also Mega Evolve through a way different to other Pokémon"
If it can Mega in such a way it can hold an item...
Since the official English reveal video still mentions a Mega Stone, I think that it will still need to hold it.

No, but we can make a pretty good educated guess. Attack and Special Attack are confirmed to get the bigger boosts so probably +30 to both of those imo.

By the way, does anyone else just love the timing of showing off Mega Ray? Just before October 3rd? It's like Game Freak are just saying "Were you REALLY thinking of getting Smash Bros over ORAS?" before slapping you across the face with Dragon Ascent.
If Game Freak thinks that I'm not getting both Smash and ORAS, then they have lost their minds.

Dragon Dance exists.
And that's going to be scary. But still revenge killed by any Choice Scarfed Mence/Chomp/Latias. On the other hand, unless said Scarfers are at full health, I don't know if they could stand a +1 Extremespeed.

ES complements M-Quaza so well that even after a couple of defense drops you can't just send out any priority user to revenge kill it. So here's my new motto: never switch out when you're facing Mega Rayquaza. You're better off losing whatever's on the field than letting this beast get a DD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)