XY LC LC Balanced (peaked #21, 1560)

Malley

Dominachu
This team is based around a core of Foongus, Slowpoke, and Porygon, who work fantastically together defensively while also being surprisingly potent in attack. With Foongus and Slowpoke having Regenerator, and Porygon having Recover and also often being able to trace Regenerator, they are incredibly hard to break down, and when the opponent sends out his or her strongest attackers they can tank the hits, spread paralysis like a disease, and recover up. Offensive teams can often be brought to the end-game just by these three, leaving Sash Abra and Scarf Pawniard to clear up unthreatened. The final slot goes to Eviolite DD Scraggy, who performs admirably in a utility role, providing an invaluable pivot around threats such as opposing Abras, Pawniards, and Gastlies.

What I really love about this team is that it just eats up entry hazards and isn't completely shut down with status, meaning it can't be stalled. The opponent is forced to put his or herself at the mercy of T-Waves just to have a hope of getting a kill, leaving Abra and Pawniard free to do their thing, or make unusually risky plays which more often than not work out to my advantage.

upload_2014-10-3_11-46-46.png

Porygon @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
Level: 5
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Tri Attack
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam

Porygon may seem like something of an intruder into the standard Foongus-Slowpoke defensive core, but I cannot overemphasise how perfectly it fits, transforming an annoying but offensively blunt partnership into a trio that can leave serious holes in an opponent's team. With quite obscene 26/24/24 defences after Eviolite, and very respectable 26/16/16 even before, there is almost nothing that can OHKO it. As an example, Bulky Attacker Mienfoo does 69.2 - 92.3% with High Jump Kick, and 46.1 - 53.8% with Drain Punch; one of Porygon's most common roles is as an anti-lead to just this 'mon, hitting it with a T-Wave (most often after a Knock Off) then switching out to Foongus or Slowpoke to tank the fighting move, and gaining back 30% health from the traced Regenerator as it does so. This is not just situational - if the opponent's lead is not ground/Chinchou and does not switch out, it is getting paralysed; if it is ground, it is getting Ice Beamed; and if it is Chinchou, it is taking 48 - 60% from a Tri Attack. At the other end of its remit, seen in the Chinchou example, is its offensive presence. Tri Attack 3HKOs at the least most switch-ins, and Ice Beam 2HKOs Onix and Diglett leads and OHKOs Fletchling with a little prior damage.

Porygon is perhaps not a full member of this team's defensive core; it often depends on the opponent's team. It works very well as a utility 'mon, with Trace in particular being especially frustrating to Volt Absorb Chinchou and Flash Fire Ponyta. Its ability to tank hits even without Eviolite means that it can be used to soak up Knock Offs aimed at Foongus and Slowpoke, preserving their pure defensive qualities.

upload_2014-10-3_12-34-21.png
upload_2014-10-3_12-34-45.png

Foongus @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 124 HP / 160 Def / 160 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Stun Spore

Slowpoke @ Eviolite
EVs: 236 Def / 76 SpA / 196 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off
- Fire Blast

The Foongus-Slowpoke core, when Porygon is out of the picture, is fairly standard. Dual-regenerator means that they can play around with opponents to get back to health, forcing the opponent to predict and thereby creating opportunities to Spore, T-Wave, or attack. Foongus reaches 25/21/21 defences with Eviolite, 25/14/14 without, while Slowpoke runs at 25/25/19 and 25/17/13; this slight frailty after Knock Off means that if Porygon is unable to draw off the hit they can be in trouble, but only slightly, as their typings complement each other perfectly, allowing them to take advantage of that dual-regenerator partnership. Foongus walls Chinchou, otherwise a massive threat, getting either a kill or a Spore in, while Slowpoke takes only 37 - 48.1% from a Fletchling Acrobatics before Eviolite; this makes it the perfect pivot for Pawniard to get in and kill it, since it can also soak up any Overheat and leave the Fletchling at -2 SpAtk. Stun Spore on Foongus is not often used, with Spore generally being preferred, but it makes sure that Foongus is not a sitting duck against things like Pawniard when a Pokémon is already asleep. Fire Blast on Slowpoke is also not often used, but it can come in very handy again grass types such as Bellsprout, Bulbasaur, or Foongus, which think they can switch in to Slowpoke and take the momentum.

The end goal of this trio is to get in enough damage that either Abra, Pawniard, or to a lesser extent Scraggy can sweep late game. For example, Fletchling - one of the biggest threats in the tier - only takes 56.5 - 69.5% from a Scarfed Iron Head, meaning that Pawniard requires some help to be a sure counter; both Porygon and Slowpoke can get off this damage while taking an Acrobatics with ease.

upload_2014-10-3_13-51-52.png

Scraggy @ Eviolite
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 36 HP / 156 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Punch

In theory, Scraggy is a bulky set-up sweeper capable of outspeeding and OHKOing pretty much every unboosted threat after one DD. In practice, its poor defensive typing and the ubiquity of Fletchling, sash Abra, and various scarfers mean that its sweeping potential is very limited. Its main use is actually in its bulk (22/21/21 with Eviolite, 22/14/14 without), typing (6.25% damage from rocks, resistance to Knock Off and immunity to Abra's psychic), and ability (allowing it to absorb status and set up on Will-O, which generally gets it at least one kill), all of which make it a fantastic pivot around the awkward 4 attack offensive 'mons such as Abra and Gastly which are so common. Ice Punch gives useful coverage against ground and flying types, which otherwise threaten. The other option would be Poison Jab for Spritzee, but Foongus and Pawniard are adequate for that.

With full defensive investment Scraggy could reach 22/16/16 - approaching Porygon levels of bulk. I am considering changing to this and replacing Dragon Dance with Fake Out; what do people think?

upload_2014-10-3_13-52-16.png

Pawniard @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Brick Break
- Iron Head

Probably this team's MVP. This is a completely standard set: coming in on a free switch or resisted hit, Pawniard can most often just spam Knock Off, 2HKOing most switch-ins and at least knocking off their item if not. Pursuit is also invaluable, destroying non- or broken-sash Gastly and Abra and making the battle far safer for the rest of the team. Brick Break is not often used - it is most often for opposing Pawniards, either non-Scarfed variants or just as a last resort in a speed tie. Iron Head coverage is important, allowing Pawniard to revenge kill most things that resist Knock Off, such as fighting or fairy types. T-wave support is greatly appreciated against other scarfers, as they are Pawniard's only firm check.

upload_2014-10-3_14-8-16.png

Abra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 240 SpA / 68 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Finally, the end-game win condition. Focus Sash means that Abra can almost always force a one-for-one with the biggest threats in the metagame, such as Fletchling, Gastly, Pawniard, Mienfoo, and other Abras. Very often this will free up Pawniard to clean up with Knock Off or Iron Head, or alternatively allow the Porygon-Foongus-Slowpoke to whittle the rest of the team down without fear. These four attacks give perfect coverage, and allow Abra to put an immense amount of pressure on switches with just a little prediction. When using Abra it is vital to not allow its Sash to be broken until it comes to the kill, so do not bring it in to revenge kill unless you are sure that the target is not Scarfed or you are revenge killing its designated target. Like Pawniard, Abra loves T-Wave support, with which it can OHKO much of the metagame while keeping its Sash intact.

I have not found a threat yet that this team cannot handle, as long as it is properly identified at the beginning of the battle and the right provisions made. Any advice would be very welcome, especially with regard to Scraggy.

Just a quick comment on your Scraggy set since you're looking for advice on it and that is that I find Iron Head or Poison Jab to be better optimal moveslot options over Ice Punch. Iron Head provides good coverage alongside it's main stabs while also hitting Croagunk for neutral damage and hitting fairies super effective. Poison Jab allows you ko Cottonee on the switch in as it likes switching in against Scraggy and can Encore whatever move you would be using.

Malley

Dominachu
I think I might try out Poison Jab. Thanks. Any thoughts on making it into a bulky pivot?

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Hello Malley
This is a very solid team! Regencore often tends to go a bit unappreciated nowadays, so it's great to see a team utilizing it effectively.
With that being said, I have a few quick suggestions.

One Pokemon that may be fairly troublesome is Croagunk; with a standard set of Knock Off/Drain Punch/Vacuum Wave/Sludge Bomb, it can severely threaten your team once something on its team absorbs Spore from Foongus. In this case, I think the easiest way to get rid of it is to simply lure it out; using Psychic over Tri Attack on Porygon will allow Porygon to nab a surprise OHKO. Tri Attack, although a useful move, is expendable in this case because the Porygon spread renders it somewhat weak, meaning Tri Attack and its lack of coverage may not be as useful. Psychic could also replace Fire Blast on Slowpoke, since it actually deals more damage to the three Grass-types you mentioned, but I think getting the surprise 2HKO on Ferroseed is too good to pass up for a team that otherwise struggles to break Ferroseed.

Opposing Scraggy could be fairly problematic; nothing really wants to switch in, and a Shed Skin variant can get around even Foongus. Pawniard could also be troublesome to a degree, given how Scraggy is only able to switch in once, as Iron Head 2HKOs after Scraggy's Eviolite has been Knocked Off. What could be done is to replace Stun Spore with Hidden Power Fighting on Foongus; although not very useful against Scraggy, it is enough to OHKO non-Eviolite Pawniard the vast majority of the time (and your current EV spread is already the HP Fighting spread). The issue with utilizing Scraggy as a defensive Pokemon is that it struggles to last; its only form of recovery is the weak Drain Punch, meaning it is easily worn down. As such, I would like to suggest replacing Scraggy with defensive Mienfoo. Mienfoo gets Regenerator, allowing it to take on important threats throughout the match, and completes the Regencore along with Foongus and Slowpoke.
Mienfoo @ Eviolite
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch / High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-Turn
- Stone Edge / Acrobatics / High Jump Kick
Drain Punch or High Jump Kick can act as a reliable STAB move; Drain Punch is the standard to bolster Mienfoo's longevity to ridiculous levels, but High Jump Kick is also an option for raw power. Knock Off and U-Turn should usually be the moves you use the most during the match; Knock Off cripples a variety of switch-ins permanently, while U-Turn is great for momentum, as well as getting Abra and Pawniard in safely if Mienfoo is slower than the opponent. Stone Edge is a good choice for the last slot on this team, OHKOing Larvesta, which could otherwise prove to be extremely troublesome. However, Acrobatics is an option to hit opposing Fighting-types hard once Eviolite has been knocked off, including Croagunk, and if Drain Punch was run in the first slot, High Jump Kick is an option here for when you need the damage it offers.

Other than that, Slowpoke is probably better off with an EV spread of 116 HP / 236 Def / 36 SpA / 116 SpD. This allows it to hit an HP stat divisible by 3, which is useful for maximizing Regenerator's healing, as well as increasing its physical bulk by small amount, with only a usually negligible reduction in special bulk.
Changing Pawniard's spread to 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD /196 Spe will allow it to get a Defense point over the current spread for no cost.

Anyways, welcome to Smogon! Good work, and good luck.

Malley

Dominachu
Hi Corporal Levi,
That's very helpful, thanks a lot. I've adjusted the EV spreads as you suggested, and given Foongus HP Fighting. I'll consider Psychic on Porygon, but at the moment I think the extra neutral damage will probably be enough to win it the slot. That said, I think I've only come across one Croagunk with this team, so I'll have to see how much trouble it does cause. Defensive Mienfoo is also a good thought, and one that I have considered - I'll try it with an alt and see how it works. At the moment I feel like Scraggy's extra bulk (if I give it the full investment) and ability might give the team a little more depth. But I agree that in general Mienfoo is the stronger Pokémon, so I have to consider it.

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
A Flying-type move is primarily to beat opposing Fighting-types; since most Fighting-types carry Knock Off, Mienfoo will more often than not have its Eviolite Knocked Off while facing another Fighting-type, so Acrobatics will end up doing much more. Outside of Fighting-types, Pawniard is another Pokemon Mienfoo will commonly switch into that will usually get rid of Mienfoo's Eviolite early on.

Hi there this is a really solid team, the Regenerator core is one of the best balanced cores in the meta and it can be really hard to play against.

First of all, I do agree with all of Corporal Levi's suggestions and I advise you that you make the changes he talked about.

I'd like to suggest using Energy Ball or Knock Off over Shadow Ball: Shadow Ball isn't much needed in the current meta after Misdreavus' ban as Psychic deals with the most common Ghost-type nowadays which is Gastly, on the other hand Energy Ball allows you to revenge kill stuff like Shell Smash Tirtouga (Unless its ability is Sturdy, in that case you should break it before attempting to revenge kill it) and Omanyte when its Sash is still intact and it has a 75% chance to OHKO Berry Juice Chinchou. You can also use Knock Off to cripple some walls like Porygon and Munchlax and remove Berry Juice from some Sturdy Pokémon like Magnemite.

I hope I helped and good luck! :)

Malley

Dominachu
Hi Yagura, thanks for commenting. This is an Abra running Knock Off? Wouldn't that seriously hit its offensive presence? I will try out Energy Ball - at the moment Shadow Ball is only used for the speed-tie with opposing Abras.

Hi Yagura, thanks for commenting. This is an Abra running Knock Off? Wouldn't that seriously hit its offensive presence? I will try out Energy Ball - at the moment Shadow Ball is only used for the speed-tie with opposing Abras.
Knock Off isn't used as an offensive move on Abra, its sole role is to cripple some walls like Porygon so that they can get 2HKOed by Psychic and it can also give some team support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)