Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

breh

強いだね
or you could just play classic and press home til you pause buffer to customs

also won my first match in for glory with bowser vs what I think was a japanese lil mac; 100% win rate \o/

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is it just me or has Bowser been buffed? His attacks seem to be faster (though he still has some ending and landing lag for aerials) and his recovery is better (spam B to go higher according to one of the Hints).

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is it just me or has Bowser been buffed? His attacks seem to be faster (though he still has some ending and landing lag for aerials) and his recovery is better (spam B to go higher according to one of the Hints).
Yeah, Bowser has been buffed significantly. He's almost godlike compared to his reputation in Brawl and Melee. Most of his moves have become faster (especially his B-Air, which is sooo good), he never dies, and he even has launch resistance for some of his attacks. I'd go as far as to say that he's the best character in the game right now, but y'know... opinions.

Some day one and two impressions!

• Bowser Jr is really cool. Morton is best koopa. His forward air is a great gimping tool. The Side-B jump cancel thing is really handy. U-Air is a little under the radar for an attack that does like 10 damage very quickly. Running attack is cool to punish spot dodges and rolls.
  • Smash run is a lot of fun! It carries that same sort of satisfaction and fun from gradually leveling up a character and feeling them get more powerful that games like Kirby airride and TF2's MvM mode had.
  • Level 9 Classic is hard! Spent what felt like 90 minutes grinding out a win against it. Word of advice for Master Hand / Core: Try to find a character with a really quick damaging attack or an attack that has multiple full power hitboxes that don't usually connect (G&W's Uair, Link's Dair / Uair) and spam that. Master Core also attacks in a pretty noticible rhythem, so just attack, and get the hell out when the rhythem comes back to his turn.
  • Bowser's really fun now with his new Bair and F-Smash. He feels really good. I didn't realize this while I was playing with him, but he's very similar to Donkey Kong now in terms of having big ranged attacks with high knockback.
  • Not really as happy with Dr.Mario as I thought I might be. The fatal flaw is that his Down throw has lots of knockback as opposed to Mario's virtually none. He still has nearly the same utilt at least.
  • Custom moves have been pretty hard to get so far. I'm doing the home button buffer trick, but I seem to be getting custom equipment most of the time. Was able to get Bowser Jr's custom stuff complete fairly easily somehow, though.
  • Custom equipment is pretty fun and pretty broken to the point where I don't think we'll see it without heavy regulation in competitions. One of the powers flat out gives you a Bob-omb to start the match. Another heals you every few seconds. Lots of fun for smash run and dicking around with friends though.
  • Lucario is AMAZING! All of his moves have amazing scaling when he's injured. Side B is absolutely ridiculous and stretches like a 2/5ths of FD when he's heavily damaged. His kill potential is insane; I remember killing a mario with a d smash at 82% in the middle of the stage. His recovery is godly, you can freely come back to the stage however you like. I've been playing Morton primarily, but I think Lucario is going to be who takes over for who I play the most.
  • This game has completely fucked up my sleep schedule. I got it at a midnight release and played it until 6 am. That's mostly continued.

Also Miis are very fun

I love chickens Eddy!

Mii Gunner is seriously so good with dat fair, dash attack and smashes. Forward smash especially is so spammable and hard to punish. His up special are all kinda meh but I think arm cannon is best for recovery

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
You can still do an Up Smash during a dash. I think that tech is called DACUS or something (unless I'm thinking of something else)?

Pac-Man's Side-B is SO much fun to use. If you're quick you can do a complete U-turn with it and it doesn't make you helpless when used in the air, which is sweet. His Down-B can double as a good kill move when you knock the fire hydrant away.

I can concur with the equipment being broken; I was able to buff Villager with a set with neutral power and positive defense + speed at the cost of starting each match already at 30% (though I also get 20% damage resistance).

EDIT: Villager item you want for the damage resist at the cost of 30% damage at the start is called Trade-Off defender Lloid. I combined it with Stylish Clothes and Agility badge to get +0 Attack, +9 Def, +5 Speed.

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You can still do an Up Smash during a dash. I think that tech is called DACUS or something (unless I'm thinking of something else)?
Everyone could always up smash out of a dash, but a DACUS is only for a few characters where they cancel the dash and can then slide across the stage while charging their up smash, rather than just stopping in place. It's removed now.

Kind of hope they patch up DACUS or something, I'm probably going to stick to my 3DS version and not mod a gamecube controller in and don't want to be in an inherent disadvantage just because some people can exploit something that's impossible without modding the 3ds.

I personally have found Kirby to be pretty damn good, which is just perfect since he is my absolute favorite! There aren't many noticeable changes, but the changes in mechanics and overall pace of the game have helped me out a lot with him, plus, that Final Smash...

In fact, I am having a great with almost all characters, they all are a joy to play with! This makes me incredibly happy.

I still have to truly get the hang of Rosalina, though, haven't learned how to properly make use of Luma, unfortunately.

I think it's far far far too early to pass final judgement on anything, when JP release was out everyone said Mac was garbage and now everyone thinks he's top tier two days after release...

I completely agree with what your message is smashlloyd20 but most Japanese players stated that Little Mac was amazing, and he's still amazing at punishing mistakes.

I still think people should just play what they think will be good/fun (most importantly the latter) and just try to get good with those characters. The meta is fresh and now is our time to utilize it. :3

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've been playing over the past few days, and all I can say is... I want the C-stick. I need the C-stick. Give me the C-stick and I shall be happy.

Anyway, thoughts on characters so far (that I've played):

Zero Suit Samus: I am so maining with her; not because she's so good, but because dat alternate outfit
Lucario: I still find Lucario to be quite awesome; if anything, I've found to have had more success with Lucario here than I did in Brawl, even though he plays exactly like he did in Brawl. But... ugh, his voice suuuuucks, his old one sounded so sexy
Little Mac: For some reason, I hate playing as Little Mac and yet he's the one I've had the most success with. I mean, hitting that knockout punch is just satisfying as hell, and he deals amazing damage, but I just really hate how bad his recovery is. Can't say I blame Sakurai though; if Little Mac had decent recovery, he'd be SSBB Meta Knight tier.
Shulk: Two words: Shirtless Shulk. Anyway, beyond that, I've actually had some success with Shulk; how he plays makes it easier to KO other players considering it's fucking impossible to do Smash attacks without the C-stick
Robin:
I really like Robin; he/she is a pretty solid character with good Specials (especially when you get Thoron, that is satisfying as fuck.) Also, Chrom occasionally on the victory screen. Still the closest I am to having Chrom in Smash. My main problem is that Robin is really slow; the fucker barely even runs!
Duck Hunt: Cancer.

Also, Is Tumblr saying the same shit about shirtless Shulk that they're saying about ZSS's alternate outfit? If not, then hypocrites

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sonic: Love playing as this guy. Not only are his attacks fast, but they actually pack a decent punch now. His homing attack got a big buff, so you can travel REEEEALLY far with it, and the move itself is kind of hard to punish after shielding it from what I can tell. Spin Dashing is a mix. Even though it does some pretty good damage and can actually combo into Homing Attack, the constant spinning noise is just ear raping. Other than that, he's improved a good deal during the transition from Brawl.

Meta Knight: Oh, how the mighty hath fallen. Both his side and neutral B's have lost the ability to grab the ledge, thus greatly limiting his recovery options. Along with that, neutral's lost a lot of duration time, and side's lost its draw-in effect, so you can blow by your opponent after hitting them and barely do any damage, and it also lost the little jump thing it does when it ends in the air, making it a pretty terrible move. On the bright side though, Galacta Knight costume!

Bowser Jr.: Gotta say, it's pretty fun playing as him. He has a lot to offer, like a god damn cannon, a throwable bomb, and he isn't completely helpless after using his recovery. His side special is also pretty neat for approaching. His Side Smash is really satisfying to land, whether it kills or not, though his other Smash attacks leave a bit to be desired in my opinion. Also, his tilts and pummel are adorable.

Lucina: At first I thought I'd hate her, since she doesn't have the tipper effect like Marth does. But then I started playing as her, and sure enough, I can't find myself using Marth over her now. She's like an easy mode version of Marth; you don't get super powerful attacks for tipping, but your power is nice and consistent no matter what. Besides, she still has her spike, so no complaints here. She probably won't be super good in tournament level play, but it's good to not rely on tippers to KO.

Charizard: It's one big step forward, one little step back with this one. A lot of his attacks are much faster, he has a lovely F-Air now compared to Brawl's, and Flare Blitz is both a decent recovery option and a nasty move to get hit with. Sadly, his D-Air seems to have received reduced range, as well as a sourspot if you don't hit with the foot. It's a shame, since that was my favorite move to hit people with.

Yoshi: I'm actually quite surprised by how much Yoshi's improved. His second jump doesn't have any delay when rising, his B-Air is pretty powerful, his Up Smash is a little faster, his Egg Roll is smoother and more reliable to use, and his Dash Attack has become better overall. Some of his moves got faster, and I've found that you can jab and then combo into a tilt or Up Smash, so his combo game got a little better. An enjoyable new spin on an old relic.

Samus:

Pic of the day. Conquest mode is now open to overseas players. This is when things finally get serious. We've increased the frequency for updates, too. The Global Smash Power rankings will get interesting with more players involved. Connect online, and keep updating your status. This screenshot is the result from the last Conquest challenge. (image is from the Japanese version)

(Side note, new conquest is Villager and Bowser and it appears Villager is getting destroyed)

Last edited:
Charizard: Can I just say, Charizard is my current favorite Pokemon to use in Smash. Side B [Flare Blitz] is quite spammable, the recoil kind of sucks, but it's manageable. At first, I was having trouble controlling it, but after more testing and a lot of playing it's becoming so much easier to adjust and learn the controls and timing of using it properly. Rock Smash, when used correctly, forms a pretty sick combo to smash something then use the rock bits to deflect something and smack it with Flare Blitz. I hardly use Flamethrower, but I must say that Fire Fang is very fun to use. As much as I hate to say it, I'm not a fan of its mega in this game. I find it too hard to control and it de-megas so quickly. Fire Blast is pretty sick from it, but the spinning attack is kinda meh and is hard to control imo. It's definitely so cool to see the graphics for it though! Anyways, I've been using this with high attack boosts and it's doing fantastically. On Classic mode, my highest score is 7.4 with Charizard. For aesthetics, I think the whitish-silver skin is super cool and I usually stick with it. I've been using this when battling with Typhlito and it's been a bundle of fun! He's pretty good I must admit ;].

Greninja: Greninja is so spammable and fast. Once again, I spam Side B [Shadow Sneak]. It deals solid damage and Greninja can get out of tricky situations so quickly. I've discovered that just rapidly shooting Water Shuriken is a much better idea than using a charged one, it deals more damage and is more long-range. One thing I have a love-hate relationship with is Greninja's speed. On one hand I love that it can pretty much jump and get out of anything, on the other hand I have a bit of difficulty controlling it. Hydro Pump is really neat as well, I've pushed a foe off with it before and it was a nice feeling haha. Up A is also so much fun to spam against a lot of stuff. I need to practice using Substitute a bit more, but it works sometimes for me. I've been using it with maximum attack investment because ya know, gotta be as strong as possible. Very cool Pokemon and is quite powerful versus a lot of threats.

Pac-Man: I've also been using Pac-Man, but couldn't find a sprite for it. It's a bit difficult to use a first, but after adjusting to it I can confidently say it's one of my favorites to use. I spent the majority of my day today practicing with it and it got up to 6.5 on Classic mode. I've been getting better at timing Side A to smack foes around. Speaking of Side A, it's so strong when charged. After two hits it has a possibility to instantly KO if timed and hit correctly, it will be three usually though. B is kind of weird, the fruits are neat and all but changing it to random throwing breaks the move; don't do it. Side B is kind of ok, it's not very strong but it works to cause damage and get away. Now, let me talk about its Smash. Its Smash oml, it's so fun to use and causes great damage; not to mention how cool it looks as well! It's definitely a great character after you practice with it more!

Been having so much fun playing this game, I especially love customizing fighters and the sheer variety of the game itself. Definitely a great game for those who've yet or are hesitant to buy it, I highly encourage you to buy it as soon as you can haha!

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
So I've been playing a fair bit in SP. Done some online with MikeAU (He's an Aussie) and it was working ok in 1v1 yesterday. We tried a threeway sometime on Saturday and it was not horrific, but pretty laggy/buffery in spots.

I think the more players you get the worse the online experience goes... But that was like first day of launch and I've heard reports of it getting better since. I think they've realised a lot more people are playing online than expected and bumped up the servers.

I've been playing a fair bit of everyone cause no one has really grabbed my attention. I'm liking all the people I've always liked (Luigi, Ness, Kirby, DDD, Samus, Falcon etc). Mii Gunner seems hilarious, and I am amazed at some of the huge buffs that the heavier characters have gotten. Bowser is much faster now, Ganondorf has some armour on his moves. I've been looking at doing the challenges and things too, but some of them are stupid. Idek what Street Smash is, i messed about in it a few times, but there are a bunch on the second challenge page related to it...

I like almost everyone really. Can we set up some leaderboard or something for Target Blast scores/Sand Bag hits etc? I think that would be cool too :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)