Doubles Viability Rankings (C- Votes if u care lol)

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm just going to say yes to everything because these are all good ideas.

Top and Scrafty are kind of lackluster but consistent and still have valid uses.
Cress is Cress, no other Pokemon does what Cress can (if you use offensive you're missing out)
Chomp is really cool and actually quite threatening (Sub Mega Chomp is bae) but it's outclassed at a lot of things by Lando-T.
Gard is going way up in popularity, Terrakion can't stick around in A+ long
ironically Gard shouldn't be, it has some pretty major issues
Azumarill could almost get away with S honestly, it's a lot easier to set up Megabus than you might think and then it just murders shit
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Amoonguss: 378-446 (87.5 - 103.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
Hydreigon is baller as fuck, 4MSS is a bitch but it's a great mon to use in Tailwind (or use Tailwind on if you can spare an attack) and its "shit Speed tier" actually lets it get away with Modest to hit even harder.

Hitmontop to B+: Yes
Scrafty to B+: Yes
Cresselia to A+: No
Garchomp to A-: Yes
Gardevoir to A-: No
Terrakion to A: Yes
Azumarill to A: Yes
Hydreigon to A: No way too overhyped js

Scrafty to B+: Yes
Cresselia to A+: Yes
Garchomp to A-: No
Gardevoir to A-: No
Terrakion to A: No
Azumarill to A: Yes
Hydreigon to A: Yes

--> B- Reasons: Dusclops can be used for stalling very heavily if needed. It can also attack hard- ish with Shadow punch, but overall, great staller and needs to be placed in a higher rank.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Hitmontop rising to B+ - No
Hitmontop isn't really that good tbh. While it has cool supportive options, they don't have the same impact anymore from what I've seen. In addition, it has pretty bland typing and often finds itself getting KOed too quickly through its bulk and the inevitable CC stat-drops. While Fake Out and Intimidate is cool, I often find it outclassed by Scrafty at this role. Still, if Wide Guard is needed it can be a pretty good pick.

Scrafty rising to B+ - Yes
Unlike Tops, Scrafty has a cooler typing, recovery in Drain Punch, and has way more bulk and opportunities to switch in in general. The standard Assault Vest set often finds multiple switch-in opportunities thanks to its great bulk, meaning it can do its job much longer and successfully than Hitmontop. It also has a cool Dark-typing which is always appreciated because of STAB Knock Off hurting a lot and taking out key items such as Sitrus or w/e. Scrafty pretty much checks the same things Tops but does its job better and takes out more stuff.

Cresselia rising to A+ - No
It's a bit of a "jack of all trades" type of Pokemon in that it can do a lot of things but doesn't excel at them much, except Trick Room. It's basically the face of Trick Room as a whole and is often the first mon looked at to set it. In addition, its pretty bulky and almost always manages to do its job successfully. However, this doesn't save it from the fact that its prey to a lot of things in this meta, such as Substitute users, Dark-types, and w/e.

Garchomp falling to A- - Yes
Outclassed by Lando-T and doesn't actually bring anything different to the table other than Dragon-type. Dragon-type is cool though, since it lets it check some neat stuff such as ZardY and Heatran. Also gets the edge on the magical Base 100 Speed Tier, which is always cool. Still, it just falls short at times and doesn't really do anything else.

Terrakion falling to A - No
It applies a lot of pressure and takes out lots of things through a combination of Speed and power. It also checks Zard, Kanga, Kyu-B, and other cool stuff making it a good pick in general.

Gardevoir falling to A- - Yes
It needs quite some support as it is only average in Speed and physically frail, making it easily picked off by numerous faster threats and priority. It's packed in a tough Speed tier and isn't as strong as one would think. Still cool though.

Azumarill rising to A - Yes
I've used it lately and am satisfied with the results. Contrary to what others may say, it's actually not that difficult to find opportunities for it to set up a BD and be instantly threatening. Outside of BD, it has a cool typing and is still quite bulky, letting it check stuff like Heatran, Hydreigon, etc. Bring it to A- though since without BD it's pretty underwhelming and there are things that can still check it such as Amoong and Talonflame (after BD).

Hydreigon rising to A - Yes
It's pretty underwhelming and because of its awkward Speed it often finds itself at the mercy of multiple Pokemon faster than it such as Terrakion and Latios. However, it has a cool typing and great coverage, which lets it check
slower things such as Rotom-A, Aegislash, and stuff, to make up for it. It can be quite versatile with its moveslots too; depending on what it decides to carry, it can check different things. For example, if it carries Earth Power, it beats Heatran and if it carries Fire Blast, it beats Ferro. It can also use TW to boost its and its teammate's Speeds, which is good since it's quite scary under it. Cool mon. A-

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
--> B- Reasons: Dusclops can be used for stalling very heavily if needed. It can also attack hard- ish with Shadow punch, but overall, great staller and needs to be placed in a higher rank.
It's deadweight on most teams and is incredibly reliant on its item (hi Knock Off). Its only real niche is as a TR setter and it's not even that great at that. Also lol "it hits hard-ish" base 70 Attack using a base 60 power move

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hitmontop rising to B+.
Yes
Scrafty rising to B+.
No

Grouping these together because they compete for the poke slot but imo, hitmontop is just better. To start with, none of them are too strong, and are mainly used as bulky intimidate tanks. Scrafty just is not as good; it lacks the huge support (feint/both guards/hh), it runs 4 attacks yet its damage output is awful, even without burns/intimidate it is weak, whilst hitmontop doesn't attack as much and when it does, cc hits a whole lot harder than drain punch. Scrafty does have more bulk, but it isnt that much more important in this current meta imo.

Cresselia rising to A+.
Yes. Semi room is one of the most viable/best play styles right now; and cress is semi room queen. Yes its icywind/twave support roles are struggling to find a place, but offensive and trick room sets are still good enough for a+ (judging from other peoples posts this thing should be d-rank)

Garchomp falling to A-.
Yes, i never found this mon any good, earthquake is always shaky, and dragon claw is just weak (esp with intimidate n bulky shit). Worse than a lot of the a- ranks anyway

Terrakion falling to A.
Yes, originally on the fence, although it has a great offensive typing and has a cool spread move, lando-t really messes with it, and there are faster shit that eat it (skymin/talonflame/GRENINJa etc)

Gardevoir falling to A-.
Yes. WHen i first nom'd it to a i always thought it was a-, middling speed and low def make it not too hard to revenge kill, still a pain to switch into.

Azumarill rising to A.
No, requires a lot of support for belly drum to function (or even i team based around it in one case...) and regular sets dont hit too hard, but it is fun screwing the main intimidators

Hydreigon rising to A.
No, it fits in much better at b-rank, receives tough competition from other dragons, dark-type is nice, and although you gain neutrality from sucker punch, you also lose to fighting types, which isnt helped by an annoying speed tier

It's deadweight on most teams and is incredibly reliant on its item (hi Knock Off). Its only real niche is as a TR setter and it's not even that great at that. Also lol "it hits hard-ish" base 70 Attack using a base 60 power move
Also, we are currently in the voting phase, so new nominations are currently not being accepted.

Hitmontop to B+: Yes - Although Hitmontop is a very popular target of Will-o-Wisp, it retains its value as a supporter even when burnt. Close combat hits Kang and Tran hard (also Terrakion and others), and dual guard + feint and fake out as a support movepool are really nice. Also, Hitmontop is an amazing partner for char y.
Scrafty to B+: Yes - Scrafty has very good defensive typing, and with an assault vest, pretty amazing bulk. In my opinion, scrafty is one of the best pokemon to bring against rain, because it beats most rain sweepers 1v1. Intimidate + fake out is amazing, and Scrafty is simply a very solid utility pokemon, so it merits B+.
Cresselia to A+: No - Cress does a lot of things, but the only think it foes really well is set trick room. It is simply outclassed at many roles, so I believe it should stay in A
Garchomp to A-: Yes - Garchomp sucks. It loses to many prominent mons (rotom-w, landoge, etc.), and becomes a pitiful weakling after intimidate. There is literally 0 reason to ever use chomp over landoge.
Gardevoir to A-: Yes - Gardevoir dies to any STAB physical attack, and just isn't A material imo.
Terrakion to A: HELL NO - Idk how high the person who nommed this was, but terrak is one of the hardest hitters in the tier, and one of the best kang checks. Fighting + Rock is amazing coverage, and it gets access to quick guard. I see no reason for a mon that beats the majority of the tier due to its sheer power to regress from its rank.
Azumarill to A: Yes - The belly drum variant takes souls, and most teams nowadays are required to bring a check to it.
Hydreigon to A: Yes - although hydreigon loses to faster dragon types, and faster fighting types (which happen to include some of the most prominent threats in the tier; keldeo, terrak, latios, etc), it absolutely dismantles slower, bulkier balance teams, and is a monster in tailwind.

EDIT: Typed this on my phone, so sorry about lazy capitalization and spelling errors.

Yea, knock off is a thing, forgot about that haha

Hitmontop to B+: No - Hitmontop dies too quickly thanks to CC drops and in order to use it best, you need to constantly switch it out, putting a strain on the defensive backbone of your team. I don't feel the given support deserves a B+.
Scrafty to B+: Yes - Basically Hitmontop but better. Drain Punch and Knock Off serve as good, reliable STABs and both the Assault Vest and Lum Berry sets fix one of its flaws (meh special bulk and burn magnet). Probably one of the better support mons out there.
Cresselia to A+: No - Tough decision, but all this thing really does effectively is provide speed control. The offensive set is now more expected and although it's great at providing speed control, it's a sitting duck a lot of the time (hehehe). Also weak to Knock Off and stuffs.
Garchomp to A-: Yes - SD set is cool but not A worthy
Gardevoir to A-: Yes - Good amount of power, but too physically frail and sometimes requires a bit more power to knock out targets thanks to spread reduction.
Terrakion to A: Abstain - okay i'd feel silly voting no on my own nom. at this point, I realize how much of a threat Terrak is because it's able to check and damage so many prominent mons.
Azumarill to A: Yes - look at my nom post
Hydreigon to A: Yes - I can see A- for this mon, it does large amounts of damage to bulky offense and can still pull its weight vs. offense with a tailwind or thunder wave set.

Hitmontop to B+: No - Hitmontop dies too quickly thanks to CC drops and in order to use it best, you need to constantly switch it out, putting a strain on the defensive backbone of your team. I don't feel the given support deserves a B+.
Scrafty to B+: Yes - Basically Hitmontop but better. Drain Punch and Knock Off serve as good, reliable STABs and both the Assault Vest and Lum Berry sets fix one of its flaws (meh special bulk and burn magnet). Probably one of the better support mons out there.
Cresselia to A+: No - Tough decision, but all this thing really does effectively is provide speed control. The offensive set is now more expected and although it's great at providing speed control, it's a sitting duck a lot of the time (hehehe). Also weak to Knock Off and stuffs.
Garchomp to A-: Yes - SD set is cool but not A worthy
Gardevoir to A-: Yes - Good amount of power, but too physically frail and sometimes requires a bit more power to knock out targets thanks to spread reduction.
Terrakion to A: Abstain - okay i'd feel silly voting no on my own nom. at this point, I realize how much of a threat Terrak is because it's able to check and damage so many prominent mons.
Azumarill to A: Yes - look at my nom post
Hydreigon to A: Yes - I can see A- for this mon, it does large amounts of damage to bulky offense and can still pull its weight vs. offense with a tailwind or thunder wave set.
Cool ideas, but I have, finally some1 else agrees with scrafty for B+! Other ideas are great, I can see the garchomp idea very well and the hydreigon I might have to disagree, if it get's para'd, that's maybe the end of it honestly.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Scrafty to B+: Yes thought both of these should have stayed in A-

Cresselia to A+: Yes for sure. y'all voting regular A are smoking crack.

Garchomp to A-: Yes afaik good on Sun teams and not much else and tbh it's not that great on Sun either

Gardevoir to A-: No I've been more and more impressed with Gard as time has gone on. It definitely deserves to be higher than Sylveon, which I initially wans't sure about. It seems better than the mons in A- so I vote it stays A.

Terrakion to A: No see: Cresselia

Azumarill to A: No lol. Band is kinda fun, MegaBus is obviously the main set. Still not too hard to stop tbh

Hydreigon to A: Yes some handy resistances, very strong power, and doesn't mind Bisharp. Easy addition to A- (eventually)

Hitmontop rises to B+
Scrafty rises to B+
Cresselia remains in A
Garchomp falls to A-
Terrakion remains in A+
Gardevoir falls to A-
Azumarill rises to A
Hydreigon rises to A

Now that D and E rank are dead I wanna divide C rank. Nominate C+ worthy Pokemon in addition to other tier shifts.

My C+ Nominations:

Ampharos: Very powerful Mega that can put in a lot of work in Trick Room, very powerful and bulky with a good defensive typing. Mold Breaker is also a pretty cool ability. Also while kinda gimmicky, Electric Terrain is really cool to help deal with Sleep spam and power up Ampharos.
Gothitelle: Trapping is really strong, as it can allow you to keep in Pokemon that do poorly against your teammate. For example, forcing a Keldeo and Charizard-Y to stay in against a Latios.
Raikou: Really nice offensive Electric-type with good bulk, deals with Thundurus / Togekiss / Talonflame / others well, also very fast, meaning it will usually attack first.
Rhyperior: Really, really strong Trick Room mon with great STAB combination and good defensive typing that can even function outside Trick Room fairly well. Also has two great abilities in Lightningrod and Solid Rock.

There are probably some other Pokemon that can work well in C+, including stuff like Metagross, Milotic, Staraptor, and Greninja, but these four stand out to me the most.

All my votes went through (pretty sure at least), so I'm feeling pretty good :). Kyle I tried Meowstic with prankster Trick Room lol, and to my surprise, it was awful!

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Ampharos: super strong under TR, and cotton guard is insane
Blastoise: i have used this myself, and it is really great if you give it proper support. if.
Dragonite: super strong even if you don't go for boosting and even better with it. DD + Multiscale can force double targets quite a bit and take pressure off your allies.
Dusclops: one of the most reliable TR setters for sure, almost nothing kills this thing and under TR it can go ham with will-o-wisp.
Gothitelle: amazing trapper. yeah.
Raikou: very strong and not completely outclassed by other electric-types due to snarl and its very fastly fastness.
Staraptor: u-turn + intimidate is very cute, Final Gambit to drop huge HP bombs is also fairly nice at least in theory.
Victini: this thing is pretty amazing, it can put in good work with its super strong moves, STAB and coverage alike. glaciate is also fun i guess!!
Whimsicott: wonderful support, prankster encore is always fun, also being the only fairy-type naturally faster than most dragons and the musketeers gives it that niche.

Okay for C rank Poke's vote "yes" if you want them to rise to C+.

Ampharos
Blastoise
Dragonite
Dusclops
Liepard
Meowstic-M
Milotic
Raikou
Rhyperior
Staraptor
Victini
Whimsicott

Also vote for these rank shift noms that I accidentally left out last round:

Gothitelle rising to B rank.
Deoxys-A rising to A rank.
Latias falling to C rank. (nomming this now cause it sucks and its only niche is bulky/fast heal pulse and I hate seeing it compared to all of the other better B rank mons)

Also my votes:

Ampharos: Yes
Blastoise: Yes
Dragonite: No
Dusclops: No
Liepard: Yes
Meowstic-M: No
Milotic: Yes
Raikou: Yes
Rhyperior: Yes
Staraptor: Yes
Victini: Yes
Whimsicott: Yes

Gothitelle rising: Hell yes
Deoxys-A rising: kinda iffy but no for now
Latias falling: yes

Ampharos: No
Blastoise: Yes
Dragonite: No
Dusclops: No
Liepard: No
Meowstic-M: Yes
Raikou: Yes
Rhyperior: Yes
Staraptor: Yes
Victini: Yes
Whimsicott: Yes

Gothitelle rising: Yes
Deoxys-A rising: Yes
Latias falling: No

Ampharos: Yes, good on Trick Room and powerful in general, also really useful typing.
Blastoise: No, it seems difficult to make room for on a team due to it taking up your Mega slot, and doesn't even offer much outside of Water Spout under Tailwind if you do decide to make room for it.
Dragonite: No, it pretty slow, Intimidate / burn weak, and weak as hell to Ice. I'd much rather use either Mence due to Intimidate or a Lati due to their better Speed and typing.
Dusclops: I'll actually go yes on this one. I was originally kind of iffy because of how Taunt / sleep weak this thing is, but if you can avoid those things Dusclops is great at setting up TR and destroying the opponents team with burn.
Liepard: No, it's very frail for a support Pokemon, and IMO there are better users of Encore out there. Encore + Taunt isn't really enough of a niche for me.
Meowstic-M: No, seems like a weaker Klefki except with Fake Out (and I guess Charm). Typing is bad and very easy to take advantage of.
Raikou: Yes, a it's a fast offensive Electric-type pivot for teams who can't fit Mega Manectric.
Rhyperior: Yes, powerful in Trick Room and even outside of it, great dual STAB combo, and two amazing abilities.
Staraptor: Yeah, Intimidate is nice, STABs hit hard, and Final Gambit can be extremely detrimental.
Victini: Yeah I like this thing a lot, it's powerful, decently fast, and has a really helpful ability.
Whimsicott: No tbh. I think there are better users of shit like Tailwind out there. This thing has like no offensive presence and isn't even that bulky.

Gothitelle rising: Yes, trapping is a bitch and can really help powerful mons set up and deal a ton of damage.
Deoxys-A rising: No, really priority and speed control weak, and in general just really hard to fit onto a team due how little bulk it has.
Latias falling: No, I've seen this thing used well, a higher SpD stat is nice and helps it set up things like screens more effectively.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)