ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As long as Mega Pidgeot's hair is more majestic than Mega Ampharos', all is good in this world. I find it hard to believe that something that went bald can suddenly have that kind of hair, so I expect only the absolutely smexiest hair from Mega Pidgeot.

*Edit

Yeah, that works.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I'd say I really didn't expect Mega Beedrill...
But it's good to know they worked on buffing an otherwise weak mon.

Speaking of hair...
I hope they do have a Mega Jynx with a heap (hairstyle) on her head.
Better make her look hideous and funny.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Ah... Pidgeot and Beedrill. Two of the most bad-ass, yet technically wimpy, Pokémon ever to feature in the dreams of young kids. I feel like an homage is in order.

Both were among the first Pokémon you ever caught. They were both likely to stick in your party until final evolution, Beedrill because it evolved early, and Pidgeot because it was decently powerful and very useful, so it stuck with your team from day on and throughout your entire adventure (I don't think there ever existed a Pidgeot in R/B/Y that didn't eventually learn Fly). And both had really cool designs too.

Beedrill was featured in the Anime as the worst thing you could ever encounter early in your adventure. It was a bug more than a metre tall, it could fly a lot faster than you could run, it had a buzzing cry as loud and intense as a chainsaw, and it spared no opportunity to show off its weapons: Stingers the size of daggers, dripping with venom. Worse still, it attacked in swarms. If encountered in real life, this thing was guaranteed to ruin your day.

Pidgeot, on the other hand, was a companion to be trusted. It smacked around Bug types without any resistance, and it helped greatly against Grass and Fighting types too. It could hit most enemies in the game with neutral attacks, while being hit neutrally in return too. It was the sort of Pokémon that could always be trusted to do the job, or transport you around whenever you needed. It could bring your battle-weary and poisoned team safely back to the Pokémon centre in an instant. Its flying success during TPP is a testament to the pure reliability of this 'mon. Its design was also awesome, it was big enough to ride on, and it was easily pictured swooping down from the sky, screaming a high-pitched battle cry before plunging its talons into unlucky prey.

Too bad, then, that in the power department, both of those Pokémon, by most objective measures, sucked.
Beedrill sported one of the crappiest movepools ever seen in Pokémon, and its stats were sub-par even by the time you reached the second gym. It was designed to be an early-game Pokémon, being useful for the first part of your adventure, but falling in relevance faster than a Golem on a diving board, so you'd be incentivized to swap it for another Pokémon later on (after all, the game would be poorly designed if you could catch any Pokémon you needed for the entirety of the game within the first five minutes).

Pidgeot's problem wasn't objective crappiness, it was relative crappiness. Face it, most other Flying Pokémon could do Pidgeot's job just as well, if not better. The only thing Pidgeot has going for it is that it appears conveniently early, so you catch it and stick with it. It's decent enough to pull its weight throughout RBY, but so is its cousin Fearow, and Dodrio outclasses it due to better STAB and higher Speed and Attack. And don't even get me started on the Legendary Birds. Even in Gen. I, Pidgeot was the underdog on the competitive scene. In later generations, it was accompanied or surpassed by a plethora of other Flying Pokémon, and it was never given any tools to claim any place on a pedestal. Pidgeot is a good in-game utility 'mon, the bread and butter of a team, but there are so many Pokémon out there that can do all its jobs better.

Let's hope the Mega Evolutions will give Beedrill and Pidgeot the badassery they so rightfully deserve. Both are immensely cool Pokémon, but victims to Pokémon's version of a caste system - both being early-game Pokémon, designed to be outclassed.

They look pretty cool! Hoping for Bug/Dark on Beedrill :D thanks for the pictures!

EDIT: Still Bug/Poison... Oh well :p still looks awesome! Oh and Serebii confirms that Dialga/Palkia/Reshiram/Zekrom are obtainable in these games!!!

Let's hope the Mega Evolutions will give Beedrill and Pidgeot the badassery they so rightfully deserve.
Well, Beedrill seems to have Adaptability, which is one of the best abilities ever, so badassery confirmed for that one.
BulbaNews made a mistake in stating it was Poison/Dragon, which it isn't.... shame :(

edit: k, MegaBeedrill is appearently still Bug/Poison, while MegaPidgeot is Normal/Flying with No Guard.

Mega Beedrill has Adaptability, and Mega Pidgeot has No Guard. Not sure if that's enough to make Mega Beedrill viable unless it gets some extra coverage moves, as Bug/Poison isn't a great STAB combination. Would be very surprised to see it in a tier above RU. It also needs an defense buff, as 65 HP/40 Def leaves it very vulnerable to physical priority. Mega Pidgeot gets 100% accurate Hurricanes, as well as the 90 to 100% accuracy buff on Heat Wave, which is reasonably useful, and depending on the base speed it reaches, may give it a niche in OU.

Last edited:
Beedrill is a bug/poison type with the ability inner focus.

Yup the Mega of NU you shall be

Edit. What adaptability? That's not what Serebii says

Edit 2. They changed it to adaptability. Phew what a relief!!!

Seribii also says you can fly on Mega Lati@s to find Reshiram, Zekrom, Dialga & Palkia in the sky. That is just awesome, although possibly needing a event (Eon flute) to do so is less so :-/

So the Eon ticket returns. Remind me again but that is where you can get the other Lati with Soul dew right? So this item is still going to exist despite what all the pundits say. :-)

Beedrill looks almost the same as the base form except its main stinger has got bigger. It looks cool and streamlined. Adaptability is a great ability which will let it deal out plenty of pain. If it gets a nice speed boost it should be a good Mega.

Pidgeot with no guard will be all about hurricane spamming. Lets hope its speed and Special attack get some love. Again the changes in design are modest but it makes its best features (i.e. the hair) cooler.

And the Mega Lati@s look identical to the X/Y versions, no surprises there.

Last edited:
Mega Pidgeot and Beedrill, That's great and I'ma let you finish, but

The mega Latis have a flying cinematic.
Yes.
GAWD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Mega Beedrill's ass is quite literally bad.

Adaptability is nice but Bug/Poison isn't exactly a good STAB combo (especially when its strongest option has 80 BP).

Mega Pidgeot looks meh but No Guard Hurricane's pretty cool. Too bad Stone Edge will always hit it.

Fuck you GF Mega Latis still look bad.

No Guard Hurricane sounds awesome. 0.0

Luckily I have a Special Pidgeot with Hurricane and Heat Wave. :[]

Beedril looks good. Adaptability X-Scissor and Poison Jab is neat.

OMG! Mega beedrill is amazing :D. It looks so badass, and by its design, it might get megahorn added to its movepool (hopefully).

Mega pidgeot is cool, doesn't look that much different but whatever. No guard hurricanes for daysssssssssssssssss.

I always thought of Pidgeot being the 'weakest-looking' of its evolutionary line. The rumoured Mega patches this up. And the thought of No Guard Hurricane and (Potentially) Thunder is interesting. Its low BST is a huge issue, though - it would have to rely on those No Guard moves to deal any significant damage. Hey, at least it learns U-Turn...

Beedrill has a good ability but it still feels pointless (AKA filler) to me.

Last edited:
I found Beedril and Pidgeot pretty strange choices at first, though I totally forgot about the RBY nostalgia so it does make more sense now. (I mean, outside of the fact that they did need boosts in order for there to be a reason to use them over a lot of other stuff.)

Mega Beedrill will have a BST of 495. That's 5 less than Scyther and is not really going to be making a dent in the fixes it would need.

Pidgeot should do much better from getting a Mega Evolution as it's already at 101 speed so it just depends where they focus the stat boosts and whether it will receive any upgrades to it's movepool.

That's another 2 Gen I megas though, after Audino I was really hoping we'd get some more Gen V megas :(

The Latis finally being released is awesome though, and I'm loving the concept of the floating islands and capturing pokemon in the air, just like Dive but in the other direction ^^

GF have been giving many new Pokemon with Megas new moves to play with. E.g. Bullet seed for Herracross, HJK for Mega Lopunny, dragon pulse for Ampharos etc. Megahorn for Beedrill is not out of the question, it would give it some serious raw power! That along with a big speed and def boost should make it a real threat. Oh and for laalal45 pin missile is too unreliable without skill link, if it does not get Megahorn then X-scissor is better.

Pidgeot currently has 70 special attack so it really needs a 50-60 boost for it to be viable. I think GF have done a good job with these Megas. I don't get the Lati hate really. Yes they looks similar (but other people have explained that and I still think they look cool) and yes Soul dew is better overall, but the Megas still have niches. Latias has better physical bulk than its soul dew version (no knock off problem either) and Latios will be a good mixed attacker who has dragon dance to make it even better. I am looking forward to using them.

Edit. Beedrill confirmed to get a speed and attack boost while for Pidgeot they just mention a special attack boost.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)