Ninetales [QC 3/3]

Overview
########

⦁ Weak to stealth rock
⦁ What sets Ninetales apart from other fire types is its fantastic coverage and ability to boost. Fire / Psychic / Grass is near perfect coverage in NU, and being able to boost with this great coverage means Ninetales destroys almost everything slower than it.
⦁ Ability helps check other fire types and absorb Will-O-Wisps for the team.
⦁ Mediocre stats overall, but great speed and special defense.
⦁ Great typing for checking the abundant amount of grass types in the tier.​

Offensive
########
name: Offensive
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Flamethrower / Fire Blast
move 3: Energy Ball / Will-O-Wisp / Substitute
move 4: Psyshock
ability: Flash Fire
item: Leftovers / Life Orb / Passho Berry
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

⦁ Flamethrower is a more reliable way of sweeping while Fire Blast is used for more power.
⦁ Energy Ball hits bulky waters and rock types, really great coverage with Fire Blast.
⦁ Psyshock allows Ninetales to get past Hariyama and Dragalge, a problem for other fire types.
⦁ Will-O-Wisp to give Ninetales more setup opportunity late game and wear down Ninetales's switch-ins.
⦁ Nasty plot makes Ninetales a devastating sweeper, able to OHKO or severely dent most of the tier after a boost.

Set Details
========

⦁ Life Orb gives Ninetales the necessary power to break walls. It ensures the OHKO after Nasty Plot on Dragalge and Hariyama. Leftovers gives Ninetales more longevity and lets it switch into stealth rock more than 4 times. Passho Berry lets Ninetales take Aqua Jets that would normally stop its sweep.
⦁ The EV spread is a simple max speed and max special attack to get as much speed and power out of Ninetales as possible. An alternate EV spread of 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe can be used if you're using Leftovers because it hits a leftovers number and makes Ninetales survive longer and outspeed timid Rotom-S.
⦁ Timid nature allows Ninetales to outpace most of the tier, speed tieing with Typhlosion and other base 100's.
⦁ Nasty Plot lets Ninetales boost it's average special attack stat to frightening levels that can let Ninetales sweep late-game or break down walls early to mid-game.​

Usage Tips
========

⦁ For leftovers Ninetales, try to predict Ninetales's switch-ins and use a coverage move that hits them super effectively so that they're slowly whittled enough for Ninetales to sweep late-game. Alternatively, if they have a special wall like Audino which doesn't get hit super effectively by one of Ninetales's coverage moves go for Nasty Plot on the switch to break through Audino. For Life Orb Ninetales, it's best to Nasty Plot when given a chance because with a Life Orb Ninetales has enough power to OHKO most of the tier. Will-O-Wisp variants should use WOW when they expect a Hariyama, Dragalge, or Archeops to switch in. Although Dragalge doesn't mind the attack drop from burn, the burn will whittle dragalge down for later in the game. Will-O-Wisp is only useful for the initial switch-in though, so generally Psyshock is a better choice unless you have a pokemon that can setup on a burned Hariyama such as Scyther.
⦁ Ninetales is especially useful against stall and balanced teams since it can boost and break common switch-ins to fire types with its coverage, unlike Typhlosion.
⦁ Ninetales can be used as a late-game cleaner or an early game wallbreaker.
⦁ Ninetales has setup opportunities against Vileplume, Lilligant (be careful of sleep powder), Pyroar and Typhlosion locked into fire moves, Cryogonal, and Ferroseed.
⦁ Ninetales is good for absorbing Will-O-Wisp from Weezing, Pyroar, and Mismagius. This gives Ninetales a defensive role as well as an offensive role.

Team Options
========

⦁ Ninetales enjoys hazard removal, so spin support from Cryogonal, Sandslash, or Kabutops is great. Defog also alleviates Ninetales hazard weakness, so pair Ninetales with Prinplup or Swanna.
⦁ Pairing Ninetales with another fire type can create a powerful fire-type core. Ninetales easily gets rid of pokemon that disrupt other fire type team members, such as Hariyama, Dragalge, or Seismitoad. This is only advised on very offensive teams.
⦁ It's also good to pair Ninetales with a poison type to absorb toxic spikes. A good pokemon in particular would be Vileplume. Vileplume doesn't stack a ground weakness with Ninetales, and Vileplume resists water while Ninetales resists ice and immune to fire. This poison type is also useful for switching into Hariyama's close combat if Hariyama isn't in psyshock range.
⦁ Pokemon that can switch into common switch-ins to Ninetales such as Hariyama, Dragalge, or Seismitoad make great partners; so Vileplume, Rotom-S, Klinklang for Dragalge's case, etc.
⦁ Pokemon that can switch into Aqua Jet are good partners, so Seismitoad or a bulky grass.​

Other Options
########
⦁ Calm Mind lets Ninetales beat Calm Mind Slurpuff.
⦁ Hidden Power Ground provides good nuetral coverage with Fire Blast and lets Ninetales hit Probopass and Bastiodon harder.​

Checks & Counters
########

**Entry Hazards**: Ninetales is easily worn down by spikes, toxic spikes, and especially stealth rock.

**Faster Offensive Pokémon**: Archeops outspeeds and OHKO's with stone edge. Swellow can OHKO with a toxic-boosted façade. Faster rock, water, and ground types can check Ninetales fairly easily.

**Status**: Thunderwave cripples Ninetales's sweeping potential. Toxic wears down Ninetales very quickly because it needs a turn to boost.

**Aqua Jet Water-Types**: Pokemon like Feraligatr, Kabutops, and Samurott can easily check Ninetales with aqua jet since Ninetales has a less than stellar defense stat. These pokemon need to watch out for Passho Berry variants of Ninetales though.

**Probopass**: Probopass doesn't take much from Flamethrower and can hit Ninetales with a STAB super-effective Power Gem.

Last edited:

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Uhm, add Passho berry to OO, I know I've run that before with some success :]
Also, point out that CM ninetails beats CM pluff, but NP ninetails loses to it cause +1 slurpuff Psychic 2hkos you, and slurpuff will be faster on the 2nd turn.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
tennisace used a cool wow leftovers np set which was pretty effective so should be mentioned somewhere

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You should expand on CM Ninetales' niche a bit more. I didn't get any information on why Calm Mind is superior to Nasty Plot except for beating Slurpuff. If there are more reasons to use CM > NP be sure to mention it.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
psyshock shouldnt even be slashed on the cm set. its only for draglage while energy ball hits pretty much every water type. draglage cant do much to you outside of phazing either and is worn down by wisp

does CM really deserve a set? I've never seen it used well and think its better off in OO

also remove random AV pokemon from checks and counters, it doesnt teach people anything at all.

will look this over in more detail later

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
does CM really deserve a set? I've never seen it used well and think its better off in OO

also remove random AV pokemon from checks and counters, it doesnt teach people anything at all.

will look this over in more detail later
Tagging TheCanadianWifier because he used it once or twice to some success, and I guess he could vouch for whether or not it deserves a set.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Kind of. It beats different things than the NP set, but idk they mioght as well just be slashed as long as you go over the difference in set details [np is purely offensive, cm beats cm puff which np loses to, cm is decently bulky, etc] :]

I'm all for it being a slash though and not it's own set, they play really similarly

kk I slashed cm on the nasty plot set, removed the calm mind set altogether, and removed random av mons rom c&c

ok so me and TheCanadianWifier were testing if calm mind ninetales beats slurpuff if it has surf. we came to the conclusion that if slurpuff setups along side ninetales, ninetales will win. if slurpuff just attacks, then slurpuff will most like win as long as ninetales doesn't get min damage on the first psyshock then max on the second psyshock.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-159564051
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-159564854

edit: I'm dumb. Ninetales can just fire blast and OHKO Slurpuff at +2 xD

Last edited:

watashi

World Defender
but if slurpuff doesn't have cm boosts you can just kill it with fire blast

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just thought I'd point out the spacing error here:
Offensive
########

name: Offensive
move 1: Fire blast
move 2: Energy ball
move 3: Psyshock / Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Nasty plot / Calm Mind
ability: Flash Fire
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid
you need to remove the space between the hashtags and the "name" tag.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Honestly I don't like CM. I don't think anyone actually uses it and its niche is pretty small since it's pretty unlikely you'll be boosting alongside Slurpuff with no prior damage 1v1. I think it should be removed.

Anyway in Set Details you should also note what Leftovers is useful for

Usage Tips kinda has some weird wording too, it's contradictory to say "use it sparingly" in one point but "use it frequently" if running WoW. Also idk if it's only good exclusively as a cleaner either; it's rather nice midgame as well for wallbreaking through shit like Hariyama and softening up defensive cores

Aqua Jet Water-types in C&C

Davon

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[Set]
Leftovers should be slashed before LO as right now lefties is just so much better against defensive teams, and on a stall team imo.

[Usage Tips]
This needs to be updated a little bit, add in how good Ninetales is against stall as it can beat many common answers to Fire Spam like Dragalge.

[oo]
Calm Mind in oo

Do the above and it'll be QC 1/3

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Usage Tips
========

⦁ Use Will-O-Wisp frequently to wear down Ninetales's switch-ins.
⦁ Ninetales can be used as a late-game cleaner or an early game wallbreaker.
⦁ Ninetales has setup opportunities against Vileplume, Lilligant (be careful of sleep powder), Pyroar and Typhlosion locked into fire moves, Cryogonal, and Ferroseed.
Since Wisp is not a primary slash, this needs to be adjusted. Mention that Tales can attempt to catch Fire resists on the switch with its coverage move, so that it can break through them with Nasty Plot later. Alternatively, against special walls not weak to its coverage but cannot do much back (aka Audino), Nasty Plot can be used on the switch instead.

ok, added passho to set details, fixed usage tips, item order is now lefties / lo / passho, and cm is in oo

Is there a reason Drought isn't being mentioned? I know Sun only lasts 5 turns now (or 8 with the Heat Rock), but I think there are decent Chlorophyll users and Fire-types in the tier :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)