The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
so Psycho Pass season 2 episode 1 is finally out and released with subs and at least 720p quality

Anyone interested?

I enjoyed the first season so I'm looking forward myself.

also stfu you fkin buzzkills and let us enjoy f/sn in peace :P

first episode was 'kay

pretty sure you can't immediately kill enforcers like that - mr. criminal himself kogami had his coefficient in the 200s iirc and was due for paralysis before sibyl intervened (you know the scene)

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
In older anime business

I'm kind of trying to watch A Certain Scientific Railgun, which prompted me to kind of try to watch A Certain Magical Index. I'm four episodes into both now. Magical Index is kind of fascinating as a total ripoff of the Nasuverse, but it's also really stupid and boring. I think I enjoy Railgun more, but I just reeeaaally wish the characters were in high school. Is the 12 year old rapist character funny? I don't know, it's really confusing.

Anyone seen these shows and have any thoughts?

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Railgun > Index
I like the show more without Touma and Index, the soundtrack is better, the storyline doesn't require you to piece it together bit-by-bit, is generally much 'deeper', and doesn't require as much suspension of disbelief, and there's just more character development overall imo.
Personal preference, but I prefer the tsundere + perv over the super shounen guy + annoying loli

RODAN

Banned deucer.
in other old anime news, i started watching the kara no kyoukai movies. ive finished the first one and i think ill watch one a day at this pace. it is absolutely fucking gorgeous though so im looking forward to it

EDIT: actually i take it back it was pretty tedious all things considered with a few standout scenes (its still beautiful tho)

Last edited:

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
yeah railgun > index, the roommate provides for less creepy entertainment and idk railguns are cool. Also the story overall made more sense I guess, index introduces like a scientist faction or whatever that doesn't really get expanded upon imo. I prefer the mc being someone super strong rather than that scrub with a magic hand

also i'm hype for psycho-pass 2, i think kogami is going to be the main story arc so i'm curious how that turns out

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
in other old anime news, i started watching the kara no kyoukai movies. ive finished the first one and i think ill watch one a day at this pace. it is absolutely fucking gorgeous though so im looking forward to it

EDIT: actually i take it back it was pretty tedious all things considered with a few standout scenes (its still beautiful tho)
The first movie is pretty fucking strange, hell one of the main characters spends almost the whole time in bed. The third one is probably the best but the second one actually establishes characters and is really interesting for how fucking nuts it is.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
No, I got it the first time, people who treat characters like acquaintances generally don't like Shirou.
Nah it's more of getting tired of the archetype itself. I mean watching generic foolhardy do-gooders from anime over the years can bum you out. For the record, the red-haired shana clone is another archetype i'm beginning to get tired of, too.
I'm pretty sure F/Z's LN was written the same way, so they just followed the script Urobuchi gave them.

Not sure why people are still on this whole Shirou hate train, it's getting really old really fast. I personally think that Shirou, in the context of all 3 routes of F/SN and also F/Z, is a really well written character. That might be a different case if you view him separately for each route.
Well ofc the anime Shirou from the 1st FSN anime was worse than VN Shirou, but yea like i said above, I really don't like the character and the "hate train" of Shirou most likely pertains to the anime Shirou anyway.

Hmm just watched Shirobako, which seems like a light-hearted slice of life anime. Probably giving it a few more eps since i'm sort of interested lol

The first movie is pretty fucking strange, hell one of the main characters spends almost the whole time in bed. The third one is probably the best but the second one actually establishes characters and is really interesting for how fucking nuts it is.
Movie three freaking made me choke on my spit because it starts off with a really messed up scene.

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In older anime business

I'm kind of trying to watch A Certain Scientific Railgun, which prompted me to kind of try to watch A Certain Magical Index. I'm four episodes into both now. Magical Index is kind of fascinating as a total ripoff of the Nasuverse, but it's also really stupid and boring. I think I enjoy Railgun more, but I just reeeaaally wish the characters were in high school. Is the 12 year old rapist character funny? I don't know, it's really confusing.

Anyone seen these shows and have any thoughts?
Railgun universe is one of my favourites.

Railgun anime is better than the index anime in my opinion, the best parts in Index are the episodes including around Mikoto Misaka (The MC of Railgun), I found the parts involving magic tended to be overloaded with information which made it hard to follow and kind of not interesting. Touma is also much more interesting/mysterious in the Railgun story arcs. Aside from a few meh filler eps mid way through the first season on Railgun, its a lot of fun, and the first arc of the Second season (Railgun S) is absolutely brilliant and could watch it over and over again.

As for Kuroko (12 y/o rapist girl) I think its excellent that her creepiest moments are accompanied by this ost.

eg

Last edited:
just watched ep 1 of shigatsu wa kimi no uso and im really liking it, looking like its gonna join stuff like sakurasou and toradora in the group of good rom/com/dram's

and i used to play violin at a fairly high level so it has a personal note too :)

Shirou is an excellent character once you factor the entire story of Fate/Stay Night in

Railgun is incredibly unbalanced; parts of it are good to great, the main arc of s2 in particular, but it's also marred by K-ON fluff filler or just bad filler in general, I think the entire second half of s1 is filler and a couple of episodes in the first half are too.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I'm so very glad that I got 5 episodes into A Certain Magical Index. I've seen a lot of last second life-saving asspulls, but I've never seen one where the twist is literally that the plot is too stupid to be true.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
^ can't wait for tetra vs marie shenanigans lel

Just watched the Twintails anime. Damn. I don't know if I should laugh, should cry, should abandon all reason, should ask for 24 minutes of my life back, or all of the above, or none of the above. o3o

I read the little description on anichart and knew from the get go that I would never want to watch a show with "twintails" in its title. It just looks way too stupid to me.

On another note: The first episode of Fate/Stay Night UBW is out.

GAE ..... BOLG!!!! ============= <3 =====>>>>>

PV1 for season 2 of Tokyo Ghoul is out:

Also reported that this season will actually have some anime-exclusive content including, quite possibly, a different ending instead of the really ambiguous cliffhanger that the manga ended on.

Also, the first chapter of Tokyo Ghoul: re (which continues the storyline with a completely new main character) is out and scanned and can be found here:
http://imperialscans.com/read/tokyo-ghoul-re/1-bone-1/3
(spoilers for the manga, obviously)

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I like the adaptation of UBW so far but

Why are the official subs so fucking terrible? Tons of important lines range from being flatout incorrect (this is my house vs. this is my home) to just being really stupid (hero of justice vs. superhero).

I like the adaptation of UBW so far but

Why are the official subs so fucking terrible? Tons of important lines range from being flatout incorrect (this is my house vs. this is my home) to just being really stupid (hero of justice vs. superhero).
To be fair, the term you're referring to "seigi no mikata" means "ally of justice" if translated literally. As such, I think the term "hero of justice" is just fine, but mostly because anytime the word "superhero" comes up, I think of large-chinned americans wearing red underwear over their blue overalls, an image I just can't apply to this situation. D:
Otherwise yes, the subtitles are really jarring, especially when you already know what the source material orginially said.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
To be fair, the term you're referring to "seigi no mikata" means "ally of justice" if translated literally. As such, I think the term "hero of justice" is just fine, but mostly because anytime the word "superhero" comes up, I think of large-chinned americans wearing red underwear over their blue overalls, an image I just can't apply to this situation. D:
Otherwise yes, the subtitles are really jarring, especially when you already know what the source material orginially said.
Ally of Justice doesn't have the benefit of being an easily recognizable trope in English that we can use as the basis of the very important juxtaposition in the series, whereas superhero does. The Hero bit may be most important, as the story compares modern ideals of heroism to the stories of mythological heroes, but it's not quite bombastic enough given the original text (and indeed even of Shirou's wishes to save everyone). Hero of Justice isn't incorrect, but it's a silly phrase to be used as often as it needs to be used. I don't agree with all of Mirror-Moon's translations, but this is one that is absolutely spot-on.

I'm not a native English speaker, nor did I study the language on an above high school level. That's probably why inherent implications such as the one you described don't pop up in my head when I read or hear the term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)