Gen 6 np: XY Ubers Shadow Tag Suspect Test - Stuck In The Middle With You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
As far as my opinion on the matter is, I would like to see Shadow Tag gone since I do think it is a monstrous negative element in competitive play. No matter how much you prepare for it, your team will still have a very large chance of getting dismantled by the big two (Goth n Gar) or even Wobbuffet to the point where you are so far behind that a come back is almost impossible. It is possible to come back from a successful Shadow Tag trapping set up, but the chances are slimmer than you pulling out a win against Swagger or Evasion. Removing the ability to distribute damage the way you see fit throughout your team is removal of key mechanics, especially in a hypercentralized metagame where keystone mons are more important than ever.

This is just my opinion on the matter anyways, and we all know about opinions: they are like armpits. Everyone has at least 2 and they all stink no matter how much deodorant or body-spray you put on.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nah, I just read this:

and realized, shit, he's right.

I got carried away with arguing the point due to a personal interest in seeing this concept put into words cause I feel like it could help demystify competitive play. So I'm going to give it one last shot to put it into words, but stick it into hide tags.

Anyways, the other part I liked about that nightjackal post was how even "losing" that argument goes nowhere. Alright, so let's assume you've proven that attacking is just as fundamental as switching. You still haven't shown any diminished importance of the switching mechanic so my earlier arguments are untouched. How is taking away switching any less of a problem? All you have shown is that taking away attacking could be just as bad.

js, I don't read any of your similies and comparisons. They are just so far off from the subject at hand that discussing them doesn't really have much interest to me. I'm not even politically active so the points you are trying to make through them are lost on me. I mean, they might help explain your logic to other readers but just don't write them expecting me to consider them. Dunno if that saves you time or not.
Like I said before, I'd have dropped this topic if you didn't have such a overinflated sense of switching's importance. I originally only pointed out that a key difference between uncontrolled sleep and Shadow Tag is that it limits both attacking and makes switching useless since you'd just get whatever you switched in slept as well. In a sense, uncontrolled sleep limited both. That could have been the end of it if you weren't so keen on digging yourself so far into a hole that you completely exposed how grossly you exaggerated switching's importance. This by extension, means that you see Shadow Tag, a something that restricts that freedom way out of proportion to how much it actually limits you. Even IF you'd compromised in saying attacking is equal to switching (it isn't, attacking is far more fundamental), that would come back to that flawed "Shadow Grab" analogy of yours where you specifically stated that if you had an ability that limited attacking, you wouldn't find that uncompetitive. Here, let me just pull that up:

I've got a real simple, concrete hypothetical that should help illustrate the concept. Imagine GF made a new ability called Shadow Grab. The mechanics work just like Shadow Tag except that it stops Pokemon from attacking instead of switching unless, of course, that Pokemon was a Ghost-type or holding Shed Shell. For simplicity's sake, let's imagine they only gave it to the Pokemon that currently have the Shadow Tag ability.

Such an ability doesn't destroy choice. I'd still be able to chose the option of switching to my Ghost-type / Shed Shell Pokemon or of switching to a different Pokemon entirely because I predict my opponent will expect me to go to my Shadow Grab checks, etc. I may have to dedicate a slot in teambuilding to checking Shadow Grab mons but the ability still plays out like a normal, healthy game of Pokemon and there wouldn't even be remote concerns about it being uncompetitive.
So, if we just use some simple reasoning here, by your logic:
- Limiting attacking =/= uncompetitive
- If Nightjackal's post is correct, And limiting attacking = limiting switching in terms of importance, then: (Correction, Nightjackal did not say it)
Alright, so let's assume you've proven that attacking is just as fundamental as switching.
(From you)
- Limiting switching =/= uncompetitive

The only way limiting switching would be uncompetitive in your view would be if was more a more fundamental liberty if switching was more important than attacking, which I have shown you time and again on how damn wrong that is.

And by the way, "js, I don't read any of your similies and comparisons". Maybe if you read them it'll help you understand how you are so grossly wrong. You could at least show them the respect that I show your hypotheticals and examples (Shadow Grab, anyone?), instead of stuffing your hands in your ears (or in this case, your eyes) and ignoring key information. I understand that political references may be a bit out of your grasp, which is why I changed it to money and food. Now you have no excuse.

Attacking gains value as a mechanic in creating interesting choices *only* when the possibility of switching is present.
"Food gains value as a means in creating interesting choices (for survival) *only* when the possibility of money is present". That's basically the same logic you're advocating.

Keep in mind:

Otherwise we'll just be talking past eachother because, in the global perspective, attacking is a very fundamental mechanic. However, what's important about attacking is the fact it advances the gamestate towards a resolution. As far as creating interesting choices goes, it is entirely dependent on other aspects of the game, most notably switching. You could replace the attacking mechanics with some other way of advancing the gamestate and still have a fairly decent game that would play similarly to Pokemon. (well singles battling) It just wouldn't be good, imo, because the attacking mechanics integrate so well with the rest of the game.

Switching, on the other hand, isn't needed at all to advance the game state. You could have a functioning game if you removed it completely and didn't replace it. However, your game would be boring as balls and not have much interest. (Well, again, singles battling wouldn't. Pokemon as a whole would still work.) Switching is what differentiates Pokemon battling from the multitude of other turn-based games and is what makes it fun. Every choice made in competitive Pokemon revolves around this mechanic.
And tell me, how do you have an "interesting" or "fun" metagame when you cannot even finish a battle? You don't have a metagame at all. How do you have a fun metagame when the metagame doesn't exist?

You are focusing too much on the specific example. Check out sparksblade's post because he explains in different words what I've been trying to say. I dunno if that helps you or not.

Just as an aside, you also just said "Palkia" and not "SpD Palkia" which is a very important nuance to make. I use Dtail on spdef Palkia but would just about never use it on any other set. It's also not about theoretical metagame, I'm talking about the very same metagame tag is in right now. There's more than just Gothitelle and Gengar in it and I can't afford to be building my entire team around just beating them. Again, check out edgar's post because he explains this really well.
Alright fine, let's make that normal Palkia then. In fact, let's make it the most trappable Palkia set you can have, shall we? Let's pretend you're using Spacial Rend/Hydro/Thunder Wave/Rest. It is your choice here, to run Dragon Tail over any one of those attacks. You might drop Thunder Wave for Dragon Tail or Rest or even one of the attacks. You might tell me that you'd be making yourself to vulnerable whatever you just dropped, but the choice here is that if you don't, you get trapped for free by Gothitelle. Instead of complaining that S-tag is broken, it's about time we recognised that this is nothing more than a risk-benefit analysis. If you cannot afford to have your Palkia trapped by Gothitelle, you use Dragon Tail. If you don't mind taking the risk, then you can drop it, but remember, in the end it was your choice to not run Dragon Tail. This might be focussing too much on this one example, sure, but the same concept can be expanded to everything else too. This again also highlights how much importance you put on switching. You're telling me you have no counterplay. You do have counterplay through the choices you make while teambuilding.

First off, let's not try to redefine uncompetitive. Besides the flaws with your definition that jpw elaborated well on, I'm always going to prefer a definition provided before this debate by a third party group with no bias or participation in the current discussion over one created on the spot that conveniently supports the arguments of its creator. Disregarding it because it happens to come from the OU council is a very silly thing to do considering they were merely putting into writing how the word has been used, in regards to multiple metagames, throughout Smogon's history.
Well of course it "conveniently supports" my arguments. It's my definition. I'd be a hypocrite otherwise. Anyway, number of points:
- I addressed what you see as "flaws" that jpw wrote a couple of posts below.
- Why shouldn't we question the definition that the OU council has come up with? Ignoring my personal problems with the actual content for now, it's there to first and foremost, serve the interests of the OU tier. It might be applicable to other tiers, but blindingly accepting it as gospel is also a very silly thing to do, especially when the principles judging both tiers are very different. I'm not saying my definition is necessarily right (although I think it serves our tier better than the one used for OU), but I'd prefer it if we had a proper discussion about how our own definition of uncompetitive should be before we even talk about banning things according to someone else's rules.

Why can't I do the same with my GeoXern?
Abusing the same luck-based element gives both players equal opportunity because they are trying to abuse the same chance for advancement. The eventual outcomes may differ but it's the same case for two people abusing Shadow Tag. Plus, we can talk about that massively increased team matchup and blind 50/50s, that you and I both dislike, if we are just going to try to find if the demon, Luck, is lurking in some corner.
- You can. You can also do the thing with Moody and OHKO and whatever else you'd like to throw at me. The difference here, between Shadow Tag, or wallbreaking or luring, is that the success of S-tag/wallbreaking/luring is mostly dependent on the player, while Swagger/Moody/other luck dependent clauses are not (they are dependent on the RNG). If you ran two games side by side and made exactly the same choices, S-tag would lead you to the same result (barring much less significant hax), while Swagger does not (hence giving unequal opportunities).
- Even though Shadow Tag prevents you switching, you still have intelligent choices left at your disposal to deal with S-tag (mostly from the teambuilder), or at least downplay its effects. Even if you don't or can't use the teambuilding options to help to downplay S-tag's effects (that's a choice right there), you can still make choices in the game to avoid S-tag the best you could through double switches and the like. I'm not saying these choices are in any way reliable or a fix, but the difference between this and hax-clauses is that even though S-tag might still end up trapping you in the end, this was done via the choices made by you and/or your opponent. The factors in which S-tag works are completely human decisions. If you really want to refer to the OU definition, then the only choice removed was the choice of switching after a Pokemon that for one reason or another, was refused the choice of escaping via various means (Shed Shell/Voltturn/phazing/Ghost-type/whatever). Every other choice is still available to you. On the other hand, the hax-based clauses truly take away choices from the player because whatever choice you make (eg to use Aegislash to check GeoXern) are made irrelevant because the result is decided by the RNG, not via either your and/or your opponent's choices.

It also doesn't really line up with many other existing bans. The first, obvious, one is Sleep Clause. I know you tried to pin that on luck but I find that completely strained. Most (if not all, idr) of your cited luck elements behind it didn't even exist when Sleep Clause was invented. They also lost to Taunt/Sub so they weren't really what the game reduced to.

The fact you even use luck to claim these bans match your definition is flawed.
I already addressed this. You might find it strained but unless you dispute what I said with evidence or reasoning, I'm going to stick by it.

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Before you delete this post because you assume it's a "git gud" argument, think about Ubers philosophy and exactly how Shadow Tag interacts with it. For a quick moment let's assume Gothitelle will automatically win against any non-offense team, we know that this is not the case and rather Gothitelle is merely a great threat to non-offensive teams, but even in this extreme example where we are assuming Gothitelle is even more powerful than it actually is, would it still make sense to ban Gothitelle? Remember that Ubers does not ban to preserve playstyles or the viability of Pokemon so the answer would have to be no; if all teams were required to be offense because Gothitelle auto-wins against other playstyles, so be it. If all Defoggers have to be capable of beating Tag users, and thus, using Support Fairyceus is a liability if the opponent has Tag, so be it. It is true that Tag cannot be checked in the traditional sense of the word, but when Gothitelle has nothing that it can trap and boost to +6 on, Gothitelle actually becomes dead weight! Sure it is stale when Tag makes running certain mons a liability, and thus reduces the total number of usable mons, but the intent of Ubers is not about creating a balanced and diverse metagame. If all XY Ubers teams require Ghostceus to not auto-loose to Tag and you despise the redundancy, BW Ubers will always be there.

If the use of mons and sets that loose to Tag are used even when players know that Tag is a top threat, I think the question of risk vs. reward pops up in regards to the team building process. Are teams that utilize Tag-weak mons inherently better off against Tag-less teams than teams that don't utilize Tag-weak mons? The answer must be yes, because if they weren't it would make no sense to take such risks. Mons such as Chansey and Arceus-Grass preform excellently if the opponent doesn't have a Gothitelle or Mega Gengar, but is it worth the risk? Is this relationship of risk vs. reward so skewed that it is not at all comparable to not bringing a SD Groundceus check so that you can better check other threats? One of the greatest benefits in using Arceus-Fairy is that it is an excellent Yveltal check, you exchange better checking Yveltal for having a mon that is weak to Tag. How is this any different than choosing to reap the benefits of running Zekrom on an offensive team at the risk of not having a more reliable Kyogre check? Don't interpret this metaphor to mean that Shadow Tag can be conventionally checked in the same way Kyogre can, because it can't, but the comparison is still sound. When choosing to use Arceus-Fairy, you are making a deliberate choice during teambuilding to be more weak to Tag in exchange for being stronger against other threats.

An issue that must pop into your mind is how this inherently creates a more matchup based metagame. If two teams without Tag battle, (one is running sub-optimal sets to better handle Tag, while the other has chosen to focus on checking as many threats as possible excluding Tag) it is not unreasonable to assume that the second team has a significant advantage. Is it fair that a team that is less prepared for a certain threat should have the advantage? Isn't choosing if to run sub-optimal non-Tag weak threats just the same as choosing between Rock or Paper, because your best choice is dependent on what your opponent brings? I believe it is, but we run into a problem. The same example can be done with any threat, regardless if Tag cannot be checked in the same conventional way. So now the issue becomes if Tag does this to a greater extent than other threats, and I believe it does, but is that extent enough to be ban worthy? What are we using as reference, because this is not at all comparable to Swagger / OHKO / Moody / Evasion.

Last edited by a moderator:

yohoE

I'm jus Here for da memes r wateva dem shits called
To be fair, the reason why Chansey is considered unviable is because she can't do anything to Mega Gengar, whereas Blissey, and most other Supportceus, can at the very least trade deaths with Mega Gengar. That being said, none of the before-mentioned Pokemon can do anything to Gothitelle - whom is apart of the Shadow Tag suspect - so that topic should be discussed to an extent, rather than deleted, in my opinion.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
To be fair, the reason why Chansey is considered unviable is because she can't do anything to Mega Gengar, whereas Blissey, and most other Supportceus, can at the very least trade deaths with Mega Gengar. That being said, none of the before-mentioned Pokemon can do anything to Gothitelle - whom is apart of the Shadow Tag suspect - so that topic should be discussed to an extent, rather than deleted, in my opinion.
Chansey is actually bad for reasons other than Shadow Tag because it checks very few Pokemon in practice while being completely unable to do anything to STAG:

-Extreme hazards bait
-Loses to Taunt (most of the things that usually use Taunt are special attackers like Yveltal, Mewtwo, Deoxys formes, Darkrai, or Thundurus)
-Loses to Calm Mind Arceus formes if they are Poison/Steel/have Substitute/have Refresh/have a status other than Toxic poison (i.e. most of them except Ghost)
-No offensive ability whatsoever
-The top special attackers usually have ways to beat it: Xerneas can run Sub or Focus Blast, Kyogre can run Choice Specs, Calm Mind, or just PP stall it with Rest and Scald burns, Palkia usually beats it with Toxic/Rest sets, and see above point about CM Arceus
-Easy to wear down with passive damage sources
-Is reliant on Eviolite, so no Shed Shell (even though it sucks)

Blissey is still viable because:

-As bad as Shed Shell is, it can still use it at the cost of not checking Geomancy Xerneas/being easier to wear down
-It can viably run an attack other than Seismic Toss to at least trade itself with Gengar
-It can run Leftovers, which makes it less susceptible to passive damage sources and gives it greater freedom to switch around (its cool on sand teams)
-It's ability to use other attacks than Seismic Toss allow it to be less bait for hazards users (Flamethrower) or known anti-stall mons like Gliscor or Rayquaza (Ice Beam), which makes it harder to take advantage of than Chansey (using SToss with Leftovers is still suicide btw)

Blissey still has its own problems, but it can shore up enough of Chansey's weaknesses to still be viable. Shadow Tag isn't the only reason why Chansey got rejected for an analysis (was the biggest one though).

That being said, the Chansey question isn't really important to Minority's overall post, so it's not relevant to the discussion.

So, if we just use some simple reasoning here, by your logic:
- Limiting attacking =/= uncompetitive
- If Nightjackal's post is correct, and limiting attacking = limiting switching in terms of importance, then:
- Limiting switching =/= uncompetitive
Just clarifying here, but what I said is that I consider both uncompetitive, and I never said one is better or worse than the other; I said it doesn't matter whether attacking is more important than switching or not.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Chansey is actually bad for reasons other than Shadow Tag because it checks very few Pokemon in practice while being completely unable to do anything to STAG:

-Extreme hazards bait
-Loses to Taunt (most of the things that usually use Taunt are special attackers like Yveltal, Mewtwo, Deoxys formes, Darkrai, or Thundurus)
-Loses to Calm Mind Arceus formes if they are Poison/Steel/have Substitute/have Refresh/have a status other than Toxic poison (i.e. most of them except Ghost)
-No offensive ability whatsoever
-The top special attackers usually have ways to beat it: Xerneas can run Sub or Focus Blast, Kyogre can run Choice Specs, Calm Mind, or just PP stall it with Rest and Scald burns, Palkia usually beats it with Toxic/Rest sets, and see above point about CM Arceus
-Easy to wear down with passive damage sources
-Is reliant on Eviolite, so no Shed Shell (even though it sucks)

Blissey is still viable because:

-As bad as Shed Shell is, it can still use it at the cost of not checking Geomancy Xerneas/being easier to wear down
-It can viably run an attack other than Seismic Toss to at least trade itself with Gengar
-It can run Leftovers, which makes it less susceptible to passive damage sources and gives it greater freedom to switch around (its cool on sand teams)
-It's ability to use other attacks than Seismic Toss allow it to be less bait for hazards users (Flamethrower) or known anti-stall mons like Gliscor or Rayquaza (Ice Beam), which makes it harder to take advantage of than Chansey (using SToss with Leftovers is still suicide btw)

Blissey still has its own problems, but it can shore up enough of Chansey's weaknesses to still be viable. Shadow Tag isn't the only reason why Chansey got rejected for an analysis (was the biggest one though).

That being said, the Chansey question isn't really important to Minority's overall post, so it's not relevant to the discussion.
Okay, I won't deny that the Chansey example wasn't a very good one. However, I think Minority's overall point regarding this example is still quite pertinent. I can accept that Chansey was not a good example, so let's use another one. You remember the debate on CB Ekiller and Wallceus in the Arc-Normal thread? Long story short, Shadow Tag was the main reason that CB Arceus was not viable this gen (I'm sure you could probably find other reasons, but there's no denying that S-tag is the main one). Ditto for Wallceus. I'm pretty sure most people accepted that it was just a bad set because of this. So, I think Minority's point for Chansey was that when we dismiss certain sets as bad, why can we not dismiss certain other sets, eg Supportceus, as, if not bad, at least problematic in the environment that Shadow Tag creates instead of pinning the blame on Shadow Tag? Sounds like a double standard here. Like Minority said in his later paragraph, it then becomes a risk-vs-reward situation, instead of "omg I can't run Supportceus therefore S-tag is broke". Sure, Supportceus is the best overall Defog user, but if it has such a problem, maybe it's time to consider using alternatives. I know Dice is going to be annoyed at me again, but really though, what makes Supportceus so unique that cannot be dismissed, but other sets/Pokemon can? The same argument applies for things like Clefable or support Xerneas that carry Heal Bell and Aromatherapy, since they're also mostly trapped by S-tag. Why can't we explore alternatives? You may tell me that those alternatives are suboptimal, but like I said, if the Pokemon can work in the metagame and not be trapped by S-tag, then it is not suboptimal.

Just clarifying here, but what I said is that I consider both uncompetitive, and I never said one is better or worse than the other; I said it doesn't matter whether attacking is more important than switching or not.
That's fine. I take that back. It was Melee himself that had:
Alright, so let's assume you've proven that attacking is just as fundamental as switching.

Last edited:
I'm going to try to keep this short cause I've had complaints about monopolizing the thread and arguing over petty details that go nowhere.

Concerning your arguments on switching, your whole point relies on two key details:
A) That attacking >= switching
B) That I argued ban because Tag gets rid of the fundamental aspect of switching

Problem is, A is completely debatable but it's pointless to bother doing so because B is false. I argued ban because Tag destroys interesting choice for the victim, switching was just explaining how. I could have said that Tag removes choice because it gets rid of my ability to switch and without that I can't replace Mega Gengar at Gothitelle's tea party. All that would change is that the reader wouldn't quite understand how it manages to destroy choice and would be led to ponder what it is about Gothitelle's tea party that I'm so desperate to attend rather than the uncompetitiveness of Shadow Tag.

On top of that, you haven't shown switching to not be fundamental so my explanation isn't false.

Interesting choices
According to Sid Meier, a [good] game is a series of interesting choices. In an interesting choice, no single option is clearly better than the other options, the options are not equally attractive, and the player must be able to make an informed choice. (Rollings & Morris 2000, p. 38.)
See fun.
source

Minority and yourself keep bringing up the same point over and over about people not using anti-tag measures and how limited play-styles / sets isn't a motive for banning. I'm sorry, but you guys are missing the point.

People have adapted A LOT to Shadow Tag. It's still a problem for many reasons, we wouldn't worry about it otherwise.

I may have chosen to [not] use the option of [insert suboptimal move] but that choice was not at all informed because I have no clue if the specialized move will even come into play. Yes, this does apply to a lot of other things in teambuilding.

Also, I'm not making the decision of being weak to tag teams or being weak to non-tag teams. I'm making the decision between being less weak to the tag mon or covering to those other 5 variables/mons that my Pokemon are intended to check. There's no way to completely prepare for Shadow Tag. The abusers have ways to beat your "answers". (plus there's three of them) Besides, what point is there in saving X mon from Tag if by doing so it no longer adequately serves the purpose it was supposed to serve in the first place?

Btw, there's a recurring argument of we aren't going to ban X because of Y since Y is also found in A, B, and C which aren't/won't be banned. In parody of that argument, I propose we remove all the existing clauses because luck is found in crits, team matchup, freeze hax, and a bunch of other places and we aren't going to ban those now are we?

The definition of uncompetitive the OU council put together aren't "rules". It doesn't decide a single thing about tiering philosophy. It just defines a word a lot of folks use so that everybody understands it and is on the same page instead of arguing a bunch of stupid semantics. The word hasn't been used any differently in regards to Ubers than it has in regards to OU, we just deal with those "uncompetitive" things differently so there's no need to make up a new definition. There's a reason Ubers has almost exactly the same clauses as OU does. The only difference is evasion which is still defined as uncompetitive and there's some folks (including you shrang) that have considered bringing Evasion Clause back. We just don't have it because Ubers treats uncompetitive aspects differently in that there's no point in banning something that nobody uses, a pragmatism OU's philosophy lacks.

Speaking of semantics, you keep using opportunity wrong. Read up to find the definition if you need to refresh your memory. None of the banned aspects gave players unequal opportunities, they just gave different results. The fact that Shadow Tag gives the user consistent results just shows how it's better than most of the other banned shit and why good players use it far more often than junk like SwagPlay. Consistency is like the Holy Grail for good players and their goal is to maximize it.

As an aside, if you meditate on this fact you'll understand the humor behind dice's signature.

One last thing since I lied and this post is still long. Luck isn't some mystical, magical force. (although some might argue it's a god named Zul) It's just a really complex, unknown formula that calculates a bunch of numbers to shit out a bunch of numbers to determine how many times level 56 haxes BKC. If we knew the formula and the numbers it uses to calculate, we could determine the results before making a decision. Stop using luck as an excuse to separate Tag from other uncompetitive elements. The fact I know, in large part, what numbers/variables I'm working with and can construct a plan around them just goes to show, again, why Shadow Tag is so good to abuse

Final aside, I'm sorry shrang but I still don't have enough courtesy to contemplate your irl comparisons. They just don't do it for me because the values change in the examples you give and I'm not sure the same came concepts apply as a result. Feel free to do the same with my hypotheticals, nobody likes them anyways ;(. Unless you've got some mini éclairs or something...

Last edited:

shrang

General Kenobi
Minority and yourself keep bringing up the same point over and over about people not using anti-tag measures and how limited play-styles / sets isn't a motive for banning. I'm sorry, but you guys are missing the point.

People have adapted A LOT to Shadow Tag. It's still a problem for many reasons, we wouldn't worry about it otherwise.

I may have chosen to [not] use the option of [insert suboptimal move] but that choice was not at all informed because I have no clue if the specialized move will even come into play. Yes, this does apply to a lot of other things in teambuilding.

Also, I'm not making the decision of being weak to tag teams or being weak to non-tag teams. I'm making the decision between being less weak to the tag mon or covering to those other 5 variables/mons that my Pokemon are intended to check. There's no way to completely prepare for Shadow Tag. The abusers have ways to beat your "answers". (plus there's three of them) Besides, what point is there in saving X mon from Tag if by doing so it no longer adequately serves the purpose it was supposed to serve in the first place?
Firstly, limiting playstyles/sets has never been a motive for banning things in Ubers. You might think that I keep repeating and repeating it, but it's true.

Secondly, just because you've attempted to adapt to Shadow Tag and failed does not mean it's bannable. I'm sorry, but this is still an argument for Shadow Tag being OP, not uncompetitive. It's time you recognised that Ubers is not a place where we try to balance things. I'm pretty sure we've recognised that Ubers is the place that things cannot be completely prepared for. If you're still thinking that we can, please take the lift down to floor called OU. I'm sure they'd be glad to serve your interests.

I'm not blaming you on not using more Shadow Tag-proof teams, so long as it came out of your risk-benefit analysis. However, if that's the case, then you have no excuse to blame Shadow Tag on losing to it. You're right, there's no point from saving a Pokemon from Tag if it's lost the purpose that it's supposed to serve. If that's the case, then it's a suboptimal Pokemon. Ubers has always been a place where you considered risk-benefit instead of "I need to check threat list A-Z". If you decide you'd rather check 5-6 different threats with a specific mon instead of making a small change because you think it's more worth checking those 5 threats instead of giving your mon something to escape Tag, that is your conscious decision.

The definition of uncompetitive the OU council put together aren't "rules". It doesn't decide a single thing about tiering philosopy. It just defines a word a lot of folks use so that everybody understands it and is on the same page instead of arguing a bunch of stupid semantics. The word hasn't been used any differently in regards to Ubers than it has in regards to OU, we just deal with those "uncompetitive" things differently so there's no need to make up a new definition. There's a reason Ubers has almost exactly the same clauses as OU does. The only difference is evasion which is still defined as uncompetitive and there's some folks (including you shrang) that have considered bringing Evasion Clause back. We just don't have it because Ubers treats uncompetitive aspects differently in that there's no point in banning something that nobody uses, a pragmatism OU's philosophy lacks.
What do you mean it doesn't decide a single thing about tiering philosophy? You're using the definition right now. Rules or not, it is the basis on which you are attempting to justify a ban on Shadow Tag. If I'm going to call anything to scrutiny, it'll be your use of the word to justify such a ban.

Speaking of semantics, you keep using opportunity wrong. Read up to find the definition if you need to refresh your memory. None of the banned aspects gave players unequal opportunities, they just gave different results. The fact that Shadow Tag gives the user consistent results just shows how it's better than most of the other banned shit and why good players use it far more often than junk like SwagPlay. Consistency is like the Holy Grail for good players and their goal is to maximize it.

As an aside, if you meditate on this fact you'll understand the humor behind dice's signature.

One last thing since I lied and this post is still long. Luck isn't some mystical, magical force. (although some might argue it's a god named Zul) It's just a really complex, unknown formula that calculates a bunch of numbers to shit out a bunch of numbers to determine how many times level 56 haxes BKC. If we knew the formula and the numbers it uses to calculate, we could determine the results before making a decision. Stop using luck as an excuse to separate Tag from other uncompetitive elements. The fact I know, in large part, what numbers/variables I'm working with and can construct a plan around them just goes to show, again, why Shadow Tag is so good to abuse
What is this whole excerpt supposed to mean? All I see is an attempt to dismiss what I have to say just because I'm not in your circle of "good players" and understand your ways.

(If you want to read ANYTHING from this post, make it this next paragraph because it's the most important. I know you haven't got the courtesy to read my analogies, but make sure you read the following because it's the most high yield)

Anyway, I'm not here to overhype luck. I am here to give you an explanation on why luck has been a major factor (and usually deciding factor) in every ban we've had so far, and why, if you're going to even consider referring to past bans in Ubers, that you're going to have to come to terms of what made luck such an important factor in all the bans we've had. Like I said in my last post which you don't seem to have registered (of course I understand you don't even think what I have to say is worth reading any more), what makes Shadow Tag different from all the bans we've had so far is the fact that everything that Shadow Tag is based on are choices made by you and your opponent. Everything that Shadow Tag depends on are human decisions. You have intelligent, conscious choices that you make to either avoid/succumb to getting trapped by S-tag. If you lose to someone with Shadow Tag, it's not because it was something out of your control, but because you chose (whether you knew what was going to happen or not, whether you were forced to through your opponent's plays or not) to go in a sequence of events that led you to being beaten by Shadow Tag. If you want a quick summary of the last few lines, it comes down to "you were outplayed". For the most part apart from the intrinsic luck elements that we couldn't ban, if you outplayed your opponent (factoring in decisions regarding Shadow Tag), you won. The result depended on decisions made by both players. It's different from every other ban we've had (with the exception of Sleep Clause, which I've gone into in detail). For the other bans based on uncompetitiveness, be it Moody or Swagger or OHKO or Evasion in the past, you could outplay your opponent and still lose because the result depended on an external factor that is not in the control of either player. That external factor is conveniently what we refer to as luck. It has nothing to do with consistency/inconsistency. We didn't ban these things because it let you beat your opponent sometimes with luck and therefore something as consistent as S-tag deserves to banned. This is what is meant by the OU council's definition of "taking away control of the player", not whatever garbage to do with choice of switching, or what have you.

Final aside, I'm sorry shrang but I still don't have enough courtesy to contemplate your irl comparisons. They just don't do it for me because the values change in the examples you give and I'm not sure the same came concepts apply as a result. Feel free to do the same with my hypotheticals, nobody likes them anyways ;(. Unless you've got some mini éclairs or something...
Um, isn't your responsibility as mod and co-leader of this tier to read what people have to say? If you're not going to read what I have to say, then please at least show the courtesy of not commenting on it, because you're probably missing something important. Although, now I get why you keep missing the point because you're not even bothering to read what I have to say. I get that things are different because I changed certain things, but if you believe that it is irrelevant to the matter at hand, maybe it would serve us both best if you disputed why you think it's irrelevant instead of brushing it off because you think my opinion is below your attention.

Also, to everyone else that have been reading to everything Melee and I have both been arguing, I do apologise that we've taken up so much of the thread. I get that you want to be involved. I'm grateful that you've been able to put up with the both of us. However, everything that's said contributes to the debate at hand. If you guys can't stand us going at each other's throats all the time, then it would be good if you all got your voices heard. The more discussion the better.

Last edited:
?
(no not mega mence)

All I said is that I've not read your irl analogies. That's a far cry from not [worth] reading your posts. I actually reread your posts multiple times to make sure I'm not accidentally taking your words out of concept or misinterpreting what you have to say. I just skim the IRL analogies cause it's pointless to me for me to try to grasp our meaning behind them, especially when that message is found elsewhere in your post. I didn't know you were so attached to them and I apologize if I inadvertently insulted you by expressing my disinterest in them. Believe me, I only did so with the intention of saving you the time and effort that you were investing if it was only for my sake.

Also, I don't want to discuss why I think it's irrelevant because doing so is not answering whether or not Shadow Tag is uncompetitive. Feel free to keep using analogies (thanks, forgot the word), I'm just advising you to not bother if they are intended for me.

Firstly, limiting playstyles/sets has never been a motive for banning things in Ubers. You might think that I keep repeating and repeating it, but it's true.
Nobody's contested this, I've even posted saying the exact same thing multiple times. It's just not relevant and so you are missing the point by repeating it.

Let me try to change the approach. Show me just one team that is immune to Shadow Tag and adequately handles every other threat in the metagame. Otherwise, it'll show that I don't really have a choice in the matter because no matter what I choose I'm still leaving the result up to the multiple unknown variables that my opponent happens to bring, aka luck. Does that necessarily mean it's banable? I'm not even sure but I don't even care because it would mean that you would have to stop mentioning shit like Dtail Lustkia or whatever because it would be as pointless a discussion as Sturdy for OHKO or Haze Murkrow for Moody. That's all I want out of this particular point.

Yes, I'm using the definition. You can argue about the way I use it if you want but you shouldn't be arguing about the definition itself because you disagree with how I'm using it. It's to prevent exactly that that the OU council bothered making the definition in the first place.

That excerpt was just supposed to show how your conditions for banning / not banning isn't in the slightest reflected by the current list of bans. The reason for showing that? So we can argue about whether or not Shadow Tag is uncompetitive (our motive for banning) using a perfectly fine definition instead of wasting time trying to create a new definition or motive for banning.

There's no "circle of good players" and I've not said anybody is or isn't in it. I was just trying to show how the differences you have been drawing between Tag and other uncompetitive abilities is only the difference between an uncompetitive ability that's worth trying to abuse and one that's not. (well, unless you don't know how to abuse tag but do know how to abuse the other stuff but otherwise you are more often better off with tag) If you felt like I was attacking you because I brought up dice's sig, it was just an anecdote that came to mind because you misunderstood the concept of consistency then much like how you are now. I did so in the hopes that an example from a different context would help make things clearer. I apologize if that part offended you, wasn't the intention behind it.

that is your conscious decision.
Shadow Tag is based on are choices made by you and your opponent.
The result depended on decisions made by both players.
the result depended on an external factor that is not in the control of either player
This is what is meant by the OU council's definition of "taking away control of the player", not whatever garbage to do with choice of switching, or what have you.
Okay, here we are on the same page. I won't use choice anymore since that seems to have just muddled things up instead of making them clearer. (point was to use words that came from outside mons to better explain what was happening inside)
What we disagree on is:
1) luck is not in the control of a player
2) the result of tag is controlled by both players

I'd argue that for every uncompetitive element, including Shadow Tag:

1: The abuser controls
That external factor is actually under the control of the abuser. I start that random number generator when I click on the move Swagger just like how I start the Shadow Tag trapping by clicking on Gothitelle or the sleep spam by clicking on Dark Void. I might be doing so without knowing the eventual outcome of that click but that would be the same thing as me covering up my opponent's side of the field (team, active mon, etc) and clicking Gothitelle or sleep. If I were to remove that covering I may find I just brought Gothitelle in on an Yveltal or clicked sleep on an Noctowl, or I've got Goth in on Chansey / slept the opposing Pokemon.

The abuser is always under control of the use of uncompetitive elements. They might not know the outcome but a common compensation for that is using things like SpDef Kyogre for your Sheer Cold spamming or prankster Substitutes for your Swagger spam to give you a bit more control over the outcome by playing to the only thing you do know about the random number generator: laws of probability.

2: The victim has no control
The other guy, the victim, doesn't have control in the matter. I mean, you could argue it was his fault letting that SpDef Kyogre come in or for not using Haze Murkrow to beat that Glalie but I'd consider that really strained. Just as I consider that strained that it's my fault for trying to stop a Yveltal from sweeping my ass by killing it a with Klefki and getting trapped by Gothitelle on the revenge kill. (you know what comes after) I don't really think you can say the victim was "outplayed" for choosing to attack and advance the gamestate. (especially when not attacking is going to lose him the game, anyways) Even ignoring the scenarios where the abuser can just sack a mon and force you into getting trapped, I dislike the idea that blind doubles all over the place is being "outplayed".
dice said:
i would also like to reiterate that many players are missing the point on the double switches that shadow tag may cause. shrang may not know this, surprise surprise, ad hominem ad hominem; however, effective double switches made by good players take risk vs reward, the integral concept of pokemon, into play. if shadow isn't involved, typical double switches which are almost always a "if i am correct, i gain an advantage. if i am wrong, i will not become so behind as to where i cannot come back". with tag involved, however, it is truly a crapshoot of intuition for the most part. there is no skill in a 5050 where one option gives you the upper hand and one option can lose you a very important pokemon which can almost ascertain a gigantic momentum loss.
godfuckingdamnit I can't make them short, gonna use hide tags.

Last edited:

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I won't deny that the Chansey example wasn't a very good one. However, I think Minority's overall point regarding this example is still quite pertinent. I can accept that Chansey was not a good example, so let's use another one. You remember the debate on CB Ekiller and Wallceus in the Arc-Normal thread? Long story short, Shadow Tag was the main reason that CB Arceus was not viable this gen (I'm sure you could probably find other reasons, but there's no denying that S-tag is the main one). Ditto for Wallceus. I'm pretty sure most people accepted that it was just a bad set because of this. So, I think Minority's point for Chansey was that when we dismiss certain sets as bad, why can we not dismiss certain other sets, eg Supportceus, as, if not bad, at least problematic in the environment that Shadow Tag creates instead of pinning the blame on Shadow Tag? Sounds like a double standard here. Like Minority said in his later paragraph, it then becomes a risk-vs-reward situation, instead of "omg I can't run Supportceus therefore S-tag is broke". Sure, Supportceus is the best overall Defog user, but if it has such a problem, maybe it's time to consider using alternatives. I know Dice is going to be annoyed at me again, but really though, what makes Supportceus so unique that cannot be dismissed, but other sets/Pokemon can? The same argument applies for things like Clefable or support Xerneas that carry Heal Bell and Aromatherapy, since they're also mostly trapped by S-tag. Why can't we explore alternatives? You may tell me that those alternatives are suboptimal, but like I said, if the Pokemon can work in the metagame and not be trapped by S-tag, then it is not suboptimal.
"I'm not going to run a Yveltal check because defensive Fairies/Tyranitar (TTar loses to DBond/Focus Blast Mega Gengar at least) can be trapped by Shadow Tag"

"I'm not going to run a Kyogre check because Water Arceus/Grass Arceus/Palkia/Gastrodon can be trapped by Shadow Tag"

Well, crap, what other choices do we have then? Would be nice if we had one!

Also the "debate on CB Ekiller and Wallceus" example is the same as Chansey: they're bad for reasons other than Shadow Tag. Wallceus lacks resistances and is bad at checking a lot of top physical threats like Zekrom, Blaziken, Ho-Oh, Mewtwo X - there is very little reason to stick with Normal-typing when you can pick a type that actually synergizes well with your team, even with the ability to hold Leftovers. CB Arceus isn't really better at revenge killing and lacks the flexibility of the EKiller set which can revenge stuff AND sweep. Also, Trick sucks in this metagame since it fails on Giratina-O/Megas like Scizor/other Arceus formes/things holding Plates like Phys Def Yveltal or Groudon. That's a lot of stuff that also checks Arceus-Normal anyway. The small increase of power in ExtremeSpeed isn't worth giving up the sweeping potential and flexibility of the standard EKiller.

While Shadow Tag is a huge reason why both sets are bad, it isn't the only reason sets like this (and stuff like Chansey) are bad. (No one would probably use Wallceus/CBceus in a STAGless metagame anyway just because other types/EKiller are too good) We may joke around with stuff like Chansey rank in the viability thread because "lol Shadow Tag," the truth is that these sets don't need help from Shadow Tag to suck. The comparison is flawed because the things claimed unviable just because of Shadow Tag suck or are outclassed anyway.

A better example is probably Choice Scarf Terrakion, though even that is debatable because Xerneas (also the reason why very few people run Choiced Dragons in the tier - Zekrom gets away with it because of Bolt Strike/Volt Switch) exists, Mega Mewtwo formes exist, Ghosts still exist, and competition from stuff like Blaziken and Mega Lucario also exists.

Also tagging dice because shrang called you out. :o

Last edited:
"I'm not going to run a Yveltal check because defensive Fairies/Tyranitar (TTar loses to DBond/Focus Blast Mega Gengar at least) can be trapped by Shadow Tag"

"I'm not going to run a Kyogre check because Water Arceus/Grass Arceus/Palkia/Gastrodon can be trapped by Shadow Tag"

Well, crap, what other choices do we have then? Would be nice if we had one!
I'm ignoring the rest of post because these are irrelevant details about Shadow Tag discussion and frankly, I agree that these are bad sets with or without Shadow Tag.

Tyranitar checks Yveltal well, while being a strong check vs Shadow Tag in general.

SpD Palkia with DTail is the best Kyogre counter and is very difficult to be trapped by Shadow Tag. Gengar Taunt->Dbond is a shaky method of dealing with Palkia since it can phaze Gengar and forces it to accumulate hazard dmg and reduces Gengar's switch in potential massively. Gothitelle just gets phazed and I guess, you could argue that trick-scarf could potentially beat SpD Palkia but it's such as a bad set and has very small trapping potential.

Not to mention that you can simply use offensive mons that are least effected by Shadow Tag and click attack and kill these pokemons... If you still think that you need counter/reliable check for everything to have a successful ubers team, then you're teambuilding wrong. Even BW Ubers had this issue. You cannot check everything in ubers metagame. This is not arguable. You can give me any ubers team and I'll find a specific pokemon and its set that will seriously threaten the team. It's just the nature of Ubers, since it's inherently unbalanced, so it's always match up based. There's no need to be hyperbolic and claim that it's impossible to construct a team that minimize the impact of Shadow Tag. It's a threat, just like all other mons in the metagame.

However, I suppose, it's arguable that there's a degree of match up where it eventually becomes uncompetitive metagame to play in. However, XY Ubers is nowhere close to that degree. This is observable by the fact that successful Ubers tournament players win more often than other players. Hack is currently 7-0 in POCL, a feat that will come close to Blim's 7-1 record in POCL in BW Ubers metagame. Hack faced few shadow tag teams, yet he did not lose any of these matches because he actually constructs his team in such way that Shadow Tag's impact is minimized while handling the general metagame well.

Last edited:
Nobody's contested that you can reduce your Tag weakness and still have a solid team. Dice has a full thread of those, it'd be stupid to argue that.

What's being contested is the constant argument that comes up that basically blames the victim for losing to Shadow Tag. You can remove but not eliminate every possible Shadow Tag weakness and I've yet to see a team that proves that false.

Can we start addressing the real culprit of this issue here, Shadow Tag, and discuss if it is uncompetitive or not?

shrang

General Kenobi
Okay, here we are on the same page. I won't use choice anymore since that seems to have just muddled things up instead of making them clearer. (point was to use words that came from outside mons to better explain what was happening inside)
What we disagree on is:
1) luck is not in the control of a player
2) the result of tag is controlled by both players

I'd argue that for every uncompetitive element, including Shadow Tag:

1: The abuser controls
That external factor is actually under the control of the abuser. I start that random number generator when I click on the move Swagger just like how I start the Shadow Tag trapping by clicking on Gothitelle or the sleep spam by clicking on Dark Void. I might be doing so without knowing the eventual outcome of that click but that would be the same thing as me covering up my opponent's side of the field (team, active mon, etc) and clicking Gothitelle or sleep. If I were to remove that covering I may find I just brought Gothitelle in on an Yveltal or clicked sleep on an Noctowl, or I've got Goth in on Chansey / slept the opposing Pokemon.

The abuser is always under control of the use of uncompetitive elements. They might not know the outcome but a common compensation for that is using things like SpDef Kyogre for your Sheer Cold spamming or prankster Substitutes for your Swagger spam to give you a bit more control over the outcome by playing to the only thing you do know about the random number generator: laws of probability.

2: The victim has no control
The other guy, the victim, doesn't have control in the matter. I mean, you could argue it was his fault letting that SpDef Kyogre come in or for not using Haze Murkrow to beat that Glalie but I'd consider that really strained. Just as I consider that strained that it's my fault for trying to stop a Yveltal from sweeping my ass by killing it a with Klefki and getting trapped by Gothitelle on the revenge kill. (you know what comes after) I don't really think you can say the victim was "outplayed" for choosing to attack and advance the gamestate. (especially when not attacking is going to lose him the game, anyways) Even ignoring the scenarios where the abuser can just sack a mon and force you into getting trapped, I dislike the idea that blind doubles all over the place is being "outplayed".

godfuckingdamnit I can't make them short, gonna use hide tags.
Okay good, at least we have something to debate here. I don't how to really resolve this since you and I really see your two points differently, but I'll just give you what I think.

1) Abuser controls
- This might be semantics (although I think it's more than just semantics), but I think you're confusing "initiate" and "control". Does the "abuser" really have control (when we're talking about past clauses)? I don't think they do. Basically, it's kind of the same as if abuser got to a decision, turned around to a random bystander and told him: "You pick". The control is therefore, in that 3rd party, not in the hands of the abuser. I get your argument that the abuser gets to initiate the sequence, but in the end, control is out of both players' hands. Let's just use the Swagger GeoXern example again. Lets just pretend that GeoXern got past my Aegislash because Aegislash got confused and hit itself, but somehow (use your imagination here), I sacrifice about 3 other Pokemon, I end up taking down the opposing GeoXern. Now imagine that I have my own Swagger GeoXern, and if the opponent's one check (let's just make it Aegislash too, for simplicity's sake) can be cheesed past by my Swagger GeoXern, then I win. I set up my GeoXern, and predictably, Aegislash comes in. I click Swagger, hoping to get past the Aegislash, and it smashes Xerneas's face with Gyro Ball. Am I really in control here? Obviously, there was a clear discrimination in how one player is treated by luck compared to the other.

2) Victim has no control
- I wouldn't exactly say that it was the "victim"'s fault. It could even be that the one is (for lack of a better word) "abusing" the mechanic outplayed the "victim" in a way that forced them into such a position (using your Klefki vs Yveltal + Goth example). I know you'll probably ignore this, but it's kind of like how a player could potentially force his opponent to a smothered mate in chess. The "victim" in that case only had one choice for every move once the sequence started, and there was only way of ending, and was them losing. It's not that the victim has no control, more of the fact that they were outplayed by the opponent. Another example is if I use my knight to fork 2 rooks in chess. You can pick one, but can't save the other. Long story short, it is again, through choices made through both players that you got such a result. You can argue in both ways, whether it's the victim choked or the other player (I'm getting really uncomfortable saying "victim" vs "abuser", lol) outplayed, it really doesn't matter. What matters is that it is through human decisions that Shadow Tag manifests itself, while for the other clauses, there are further external causes.

Just a side, the use of "victim" and "abuser" and "blaming the victim" sounds really awkward. I'd think I was a Catholic priest sexual predator if you didn't have the context, lol. Can we use different terms please?

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
If the suspect is Gothitelle:

1) Gothitelle is very uncommon. I didn't see a single Gothitelle while laddering (aside from my own Gothitelle). If it were really so good I don't see why it should be so rare.
2) Gothitelle has little defensive use. Unlike Mega Gengar, which is fast + attacks hit pretty hard, Gothitelle doesn't do anything else other than trap stuff. It doesn't have any useful resistances either. A major case of playing 5v6 while waiting for that one key moment, unlike the real titans of the tier e.g. Kyogre which can switch into Ho Oh's Sacred Fire or Xerneas which can switch into Yveltal, even if they are running offensive sets.
3) The Pokemon that Gothitelle traps can usually run something to beat it, e.g. Roar on Arceus. Support Arceus has major 4MSS, but it is still possible. If support Arceus has Roar then Gothitelle becomes pretty useless. Oh yeah and Roar beats the stupid Baton Pass teams out there.
4) Team preview warns you if there's a Gothitelle on the other team so you can hopefully double switch out of it successfully.
5) Gothitelle has 100% counters even if it gets to +6 and has TR up.

Probably the most annoying thing about Gothitelle is how long it actually takes to kill stuff. So long it might as well violate endless battle clause. But I do not find it broken.

In my laddering experience Mega Gengar (can't speak for Gothitelle since I never played against one) is a dangerous Pokemon that I'm afraid of and treat seriously, but it is manageable. There are better things to ban. If we are banning a Pokemon then ban Xerneas and possibly Arceus, since Geo Xern and EKiller are super strong and kill everything with appropriate sets. If we don't ban Pokemon then there's still evasion and Baton Pass that deserve more attention than STag.
----

Whoever is going to evaluate the paragraphs please let me know if there's something inadequate about this, thanks.
The bold and italics I want to point out. The reason why you didn't actually see too many Gothitelles is cause there was an enormous risk running it on the ladder. There was pretty much very little defensive play that was seen and as such Gothitelle is designed to break down more defensive builds or support mons. It was basically a liability in most cases to even use one cause most people just spammed offense to get reqs quick. In reality the suspect ladder is a poor representation if ST was uncompetitive cause the most common abuser was M-Gengar and even then wasn't a huge amount of trouble if using a half decent team. Also justifying certain bans might shed to light on some issues but really doesn't focus on the core of the argument the goal of the suspect.

So anyways post ladder opinion going to be voting no ban as well. I'm going to ignore the arguments where people use their biased opinion against STag by establishing some sort of concrete reason that when read between the fine lines looks like, "This shit sucks, I don't want to deal with it", or "This shit sucks I can't use this because of STag." I guess it really comes down to philosophies in how you view STag in Ubers honestly. Do you view it as an element that could potentially give you an unfair advantage that rewards the use of it more than say, someone who doesn't use it, by virtue of removing choice? Or do you view the loss of choice as something that can be considered a competitive trait towards battling and teambuilding? I personally would go with the latter in my own case. These 50/50s that keep getting brought up are in the hands of the player, not the RNG. Had that been the case then sure I would be on board for removing it but it isn't, so as such I don't see how something that still provides control to both players either more or less is grounds for something to be uncompetitive. Yes, if Gothitelle traps your support mon the control is primarily in the hands of the Goth user. If M-Gengar traps something offensive for example and is running Taunt/Dbond, it's in the hands of both players to consider opportunity costs of using their available options. Before the battle even starts, it is the hand of the player using M-Gengar to choose what they need appropriately to handle better threats. It is in the hand of the players to mitigate the issues of STag in teambuilding to improve there likelihood of winning. These are just some examples as of course it can be elaborated on more with the various options the STag users outside of Wobbuffet provide. However all of this comes down to what you find an acceptable form of removing choice in various scenarios. Considering that the centralization of one strong element isn't grounds, at least in my eyes, to ban something from Ubers and considering that both players have a given amount of substantial choice before hand I'm going to have to disagree that STag is uncompetitive.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Reading further, and thinking hard, i think the biggest thing about STag users isn't there ability ti switch in on something and trap, but actually to come in after a kill to trap. I'll give one example, and hopefully it'll explain what i mean. Consider that your Kyogre counter/check(i don't know who's who, but the one that switches in on attacks) has fainted, and the Kyogre is Burned/Poisoned. You have a Chansey/Blissey and you bring it in to to Kyogre's one final blow, and you succeed. Then, Goth/MGar switched in and traps your precious blob, and you lose easily.
Basically what i mean is, that after one of your Pokemon who KOs something, but isn't prepared to beat STag users, is good as gone. What all matters is switching the STag mon after losing one of your Pokes, and you can take care of it.
Majickary said:
3) Mega Gengar takes a turn to mega evolve. Since Mega Gengar is very frail, this is something not easily done.
That's why many Gengars run Protect, so that they're not killed when in base 110 Speed, and can DB when they reach 130.

PS: don't take the example to be specific, but rather replace Chansey/Blissey and Kyogre with w/e you want as long as it falls in with i what i said in 2nd para.

So when voting we have to write a paragraph on why we came up with the decision we made and votes will not count if they have a bad reason. My question is who's to judge what is or isn't bad reasoning?

idk man, Gothitelle looks like a sexual predator to me. In all seriousness, though, I don't really know of any alternative words that are appropriate so I'll just keep using those in the mean time.

1) I think this first point is a false dichotomy and ultimately doesn't show how something is or isn't uncompetitive.

Elaboration: The semantics point I think is accurate but it doesn't help much. In the case of every banned element and Shadow Tag, the abuser chooses to initiate. For some, like Swagger and Moody, he may not know enough about the values used to generate the result and so be ignorant as to what outcome that initiation will produce. While with others, like Sleep and Shadow Tag, the abuser knows a lot more about the values and the outcome is much more predictable. Even in the case of those reliant on the RNG, they initiate that action knowing full well the risk they are taking and can *still* apply their knowledge of that risk and the laws of probability to influence the values to produce more predictable and consistent outcomes. (through use of Substitute for example.

Regardless, I don't think the abuser's ignorance or lack of in terms of the results of their action helps to determine uncompetitiveness. It's the victim's lack of autonomy that is key since uncompetitive elements have never been triggered by the operation of the holy ghost but by the will of the abuser.

2) I don't think the victim is outplayed when his only option is to lose.

Elaboration:
The "victim" in that case only had one choice for every move once the sequence started, and there was only way of ending, and was them losing. It's not that the victim has no control, more of the fact that they were outplayed by the opponent. Long story short, it is again, through choices made through both players that you got such a result.
I'm sorry but when I read this I can't help but think, wtf???? You can't acknowledge that the victim only had one choice (which is the same as none, btw) and then say he got outplayed cause he had a choice in the matter.

3) The fact the victim can not make a choice that can prevent his ultimate loss is a sign of uncompetitiveness.

Elaboration:
To remind you guys of the definition of uncompetitive:
Uncompetitive game aspects (or strategies) are those that take away autonomy (control of the game's events), take it out of the hand's of player's decisions-- and do so to a degree that can be considered uncompetitive.

This can be luck-based, but doesn't have to be (see: 4th gen Wobb, who was effective enough then to remove the ability to "do anything about it" largely from the enemy player, and was banned for uncompetitive-ness); but most uncompetitive strategies that are banned usually have a high appeal to luck.

While there is always luck involved in Pokemon, the problem is the degree to which control is taken away from the player. Removal of autonomy is the key to an uncompetitive tiering decision or clause.

Note: the word "degree" as there are many game aspects that remove autonomy, but the problem is degree of removal (Moody / Double Team remove more autonomy than Quick Claw or fast U-Turn/Volt Switch).

Whether the "degree" of autonomy removal is uncompetitive is debatable, and is subjective (based off of player experience).
If I have only one option to choose from I clearly have no control over the game's events. If that only option that I must choose and the only result that I can embrace is a loss, then that lack of control is very severe. With these two facts in mind, I think it's very clear that Shadow Tag is inherently uncompetitive and shouldn't continue to be allowed in Ubers.

Aside: You don't see Gothitelle on the ladder because either
A) You are a ladderscrub and don't know how to use Gothitelle or that he is even viable in Ubers
or
B) You are one of the players who are in the know and therefore know how much time abusing Gothitelle takes and don't want to bother doing so because your goal is to get reqs asap so you can bitch about the ladder

Last edited:
So when voting we have to write a paragraph on why we came up with the decision we made and votes will not count if they have a bad reason. My question is who's to judge what is or isn't bad reasoning?
Ubers mods. Although, we'll probably get a trusted member to help out if some mods are too inactive to participate to prevent bias.

Shadow tag is an easily counter-able ability. If you prepare right you can easily defeat it. If you haven't you still can beat it, you might just end up 1 down. In team preview you can tell which pokemon have it and use one who can deal with it. Also All shadow taggers are either Psychic / Ghost. Arena Trappers are Ground. Perfect Counter = Greninja. There are a lot more, so don't ban S-tag.

PLEASE don't Write this off as Off Topic! Its useful info.
I probably shouldn't be responding to this, but there are a couple things you're missing. The most important one you seem to be missing is the value of a check in Ubers. Unlike every other tier, Ubers is very over-centralized, which means that losing one of your Xerneas checks can mean being swept. Even if you kill the Shadow Tagger, if you lost your most vital check then there's a good chance that even if you kill the Mega-Gengar you will still lose the game. Losing a check is not nearly as trivial as you make it out to be. In addition, by the definition of a counter, there are NO counters to Shadow Tag because countering requires switching, which you can't do unless your opponent tried to trap something with Shed Shell, a Ghost type, or another Shadow Tag user, so it's preposterous to declare anything as a true counter to Shadow Tag. This also makes naming random Pokes who can kill Shadow Taggers pointless since if the Shadow Tagger has done its job, it won't matter if it gets killed. As to whether Shadow Tag is uncompetitive, I couldn't say since I've only lurked herenever played on Ubers before (on my to-do list) and therefore can't say whether it truly takes away autonomy from players or whether it can be prepared for in teambuilder, but the points you are trying to make show a lack of knowledge on the subject. If you can't figure out why your first message was deleted, you probably shouldn't be posting on this matter any more than I should.

I shouldn't leave your post since it's out of context and defeats the purpose of deleting his but you put it so well that it broke my heart to do it. Just gonna leave it as a reference point for other similarly stupid posts. ~MM2

Last edited by a moderator:

shrang

General Kenobi
It's nice that I can finally make this one relatively short:

idk man, Gothitelle looks like a sexual predator to me. In all seriousness, though, I don't really know of any alternative words that are appropriate so I'll just keep using those in the mean time.

1) I think this first point is a false dichotomy and ultimately doesn't show how something is or isn't uncompetitive.
Then why did you bring it up in the first place o_0

2) I don't think the victim is outplayed when his only option is to lose.

Elaboration:

I'm sorry but when I read this I can't help but think, wtf???? You can't acknowledge that the victim only had one choice (which is the same as none, btw) and then say he got outplayed cause he had a choice in the matter.

3) The fact the victim can not make a choice that can prevent his ultimate loss is a sign of uncompetitiveness.

Elaboration:
To remind you guys of the definition of uncompetitive:

If I have only one option to choose from I clearly have no control over the game's events. If that only option that I must choose and the only result that I can embrace is a loss, then that lack of control is very severe. With these two facts in mind, I think it's very clear that Shadow Tag is inherently uncompetitive and shouldn't continue to be allowed in Ubers.
Thing is, the victim DID have control. He had control X number of turns before being faced with the Yveltal/Gothitelle fork.

Let me just give you a couple of quick examples for you to think about here, and yes, they are Pokemon ones this time just to make sure you read them. I'm basically taking your Klefki vs Yveltal/Gothitelle example as a base.

- Imagine you have a Scarf Zekrom vs a 55% +2 SpA/+2 SpD Ghostceus. If you can't stop Ghostceus this turn, then you're going to lose. However, Outrage is not going to be able to OHKO the Ghostceus so your only chance is Bolt Strike. However, if you do use Bolt Strike (which only has about a 50% chance of OHKOing at that range anyway, regardless, higher than an Outrage crit), your opponent has a Double Dance Groudon waiting in the wings (which is low enough on health that you can OHKO with Outrage) that sweeps the rest of your team.
- Even easier scenario: Your only Pokemon left is a 9% Ekiller with a Life Orb. On the opposing team you have 2 Pokemon left and a 20% MMY is in play. If you KO the MMY then you succumb to LO damage and lose, if you don't you get killed by the MMY. Either way, you lose.

You might think I've contrived these scenarios to give you scenarios which are inevitable for the person on the receiving end to lose but that's exactly the same as your Klefki vs Ygod/Goth fork (well I guess you could say that for example 1, Zekrom can try to land a crit with Outrage, but for all intents and purposes, you've lost). Are ANY of the Pokemon mentioned, classified as uncompetitive? No. The reason is, and you'll gladly tell me, is that "it is the choices that you and your opponent made that led you this situation". Now, I would say the same thing about your Klefki vs Yveltal/Goth scenario. Just because Gothitelle prevents your Klefki from switching doesn't mean that it is robbing you of control. The thing is that because of choices made by both the "victim" and the "abuser" led you to that scenario. The opponent has outplayed the Klefki user into such a position, just like the Ghostceus user outplayed the Zekrom user into the other losing position. You might tell me Gothitelle prevents switching and what not, but you need to recognise that this is a scenario where 1 person has lost the game already (barring outstanding hax). The ability to prevent switching is a merely a means in which you are already in that position, just like how Groudon's immunity to Bolt Strike is a means to seal your fate if you are already in that position. The ability to switch around your remaining Pokemon against Double Dance Groudon is irrelevant because they're all going to die anyway.

Another irl comparison for anyone who's not Melee and who is interested:
Imagine you're stuck in a maze with a serial killer carrying a chainsaw. Your objective (therefore "victory") is to find the exit and escape. Your assailant's objective is to kill you. You have free rein on where to go in the maze. However, you can't say "you had no control" if through your own choices of where to go in the maze when you find yourself backed up against a dead end and your assailant has cut off the only way out.

Last edited:

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Since this is all essentially a continuation of the Gengarite test, I'll just quote my feelings nearing the end of that test and see what changed.
It might be premature to talk about Shadow Tag in general (there will be plenty of time to do that in the next test), but since Mega Gengar only has that as its ability, it is worth addressing. Shadow Tag itself is not overpowered, broken, uncompetitive, or whatever-buzzword-you-can-think-of. The Pokémon that get Shadow Tag are the problem. It can certainly push a crappy Pokémon over the edge into threatening territory, but each dangerous trapper has just the tools it needs to make its ability work. Mega Gengar is not a threat because of its ability; it is a threat because of its ability+typing+stats+movepool. Just as switching is part of the game of Pokémon, so is diminishing the opponent's options. Taunt, Encore, Trick (Choice items), Disable, Shadow Tag, Arena Trap, Magnet Pull, Mean Look, Infestation, and many other things do just that. Shadow Tag is the most prominent of all of these at the moment, but I find the idea that switching being a mechanic of the game that should necessarily be preserved to be illogical. I tentatively have trouble finding merit to ban Shadow Tag.
My opinion on Gengar hasn't changed. Call it uncompetitive if you must, but I think it has a place in the Ubers metagame regardless. Maybe it's just me, but I've seen less Gengar on the ladder lately. Gothitelle and Wobbuffet also. As a matter of fact, I don't remember seeing these last two in the last couple weeks at all. Maybe Gothitelle was hyped up a bit too much as an Uber threat. Maybe the mediocre-to-decent PS ladderers are bad at exploiting broken stuff. Maybe Goth and Wobb just much worse on the ladder than in tournaments. Heck, maybe my own memory is at fault. Either way, the ladder hasn't exactly convinced me that Shadow Tag is too toxic to be dealt with in Ubers. Maybe I will join in on the discussion later when I have the energy.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
Maybe it's just me, but I've seen less Gengar on the ladder lately. Gothitelle and Wobbuffet also. As a matter of fact, I don't remember seeing these last two in the last couple weeks at all. Maybe Gothitelle was hyped up a bit too much as an Uber threat. Maybe the mediocre-to-decent PS ladderers are bad at exploiting broken stuff. Maybe Goth and Wobb just much worse on the ladder than in tournaments. Heck, maybe my own memory is at fault. Either way, the ladder hasn't exactly convinced me that Shadow Tag is too toxic to be dealt with in Ubers. Maybe I will join in on the discussion later when I have the energy.
Aside: You don't see Gothitelle on the ladder because either
A) You are a ladderscrub and don't know how to use Gothitelle or that he is even viable in Ubers
or
B) You are one of the players who are in the know and therefore know how much time abusing Gothitelle takes and don't want to bother doing so because your goal is to get reqs asap so you can bitch about the ladder

Then why did you bring it up in the first place o_0
I brought it up cause it was your flawed and misleading argument.

Anyways,

Thing is, the victim DID have control. He had control X number of turns before being faced with the Yveltal/Gothitelle fork.

Let me just give you a couple of quick examples for you to think about here, and yes, they are Pokemon ones this time just to make sure you read them. I'm basically taking your Klefki vs Yveltal/Gothitelle example as a base.

- Imagine you have a Scarf Zekrom vs a 55% +2 SpA/+2 SpD Ghostceus. If you can't stop Ghostceus this turn, then you're going to lose. However, Outrage is not going to be able to OHKO the Ghostceus so your only chance is Bolt Strike. However, if you do use Bolt Strike (which only has about a 50% chance of OHKOing at that range anyway, regardless, higher than an Outrage crit), your opponent has a Double Dance Groudon waiting in the wings (which is low enough on health that you can OHKO with Outrage) that sweeps the rest of your team.
- Even easier scenario: Your only Pokemon left is a 9% Ekiller with a Life Orb. On the opposing team you have 2 Pokemon left and a 20% MMY is in play. If you KO the MMY then you succumb to LO damage and lose, if you don't you get killed by the MMY. Either way, you lose.

You might think I've contrived these scenarios to give you scenarios which are inevitable for the person on the receiving end to lose but that's exactly the same as your Klefki vs Ygod/Goth fork (well I guess you could say that for example 1, Zekrom can try to land a crit with Outrage, but for all intents and purposes, you've lost). Are ANY of the Pokemon mentioned, classified as uncompetitive? No. The reason is, and you'll gladly tell me, is that "it is the choices that you and your opponent made that led you this situation". Now, I would say the same thing about your Klefki vs Yveltal/Goth scenario. Just because Gothitelle prevents your Klefki from switching doesn't mean that it is robbing you of control. The thing is that because of choices made by both the "victim" and the "abuser" led you to that scenario. The opponent has outplayed the Klefki user into such a position, just like the Ghostceus user outplayed the Zekrom user into the other losing position. You might tell me Gothitelle prevents switching and what not, but you need to recognise that this is a scenario where 1 person has lost the game already (barring outstanding hax). The ability to prevent switching is a merely a means in which you are already in that position, just like how Groudon's immunity to Bolt Strike is a means to seal your fate if you are already in that position. The ability to switch around your remaining Pokemon against Double Dance Groudon is irrelevant because they're all going to die anyway.

Another irl comparison for anyone who's not Melee and who is interested:
Imagine you're stuck in a maze with a serial killer carrying a chainsaw. Your objective (therefore "victory") is to find the exit and escape. Your assailant's objective is to kill you. You have free rein on where to go in the maze. However, you can't say "you had no control" if through your own choices of where to go in the maze when you find yourself backed up against a dead end and your assailant has cut off the only way out.
Of course if you make an amalgam of how battling works you wouldn't see the difference between your examples and the instances where Shadow Tag removes the victim's autonomy.

Your examples are just a few hypothetical scenarios for an end-game. So, yes, it is the result of choices you and your opponent made. The thing is, it's the result of a LOT of choices you and your opponent made. Those two players went through a full early-, mid-, and most of the end-game to arrive at those last, final turns.

This is not the case with Shadow Tag. First of all, we don't know if this Klefki hypothetical (or any other Tag scenario but it's simpler to keep the same one) took place in the early-game, or in the mid-game, or in the end-game. Hell, it could have taken place on the very first turn. That's a lot of possible choices, sometimes even all of them, that have been taken away from the game. At any point Shadow Tag can come in and take away control of the game's events from the victim, just like every other banned element.

So having acknowledged this:
The "victim" in that case only had one choice for every move once the sequence started, and there was only way of ending, and was them losing.
in regards to the Klefki example (of which it is only one of many). I don't think you can continue to claim Shadow Tag doesn't do this:
Uncompetitive game aspects (or strategies) are those that take away autonomy (control of the game's events), take it out of the hand's of player's decisions-- and do so to a degree that can be considered uncompetitive.
while considering just how many potential choices and opportunities to change the course of the game's events that the victim was robbed from as a result of it.

Also, just to stroke my e-peen a bit.
Btw, there's a recurring argument of we aren't going to ban X because of Y since Y is also found in A, B, and C which aren't/won't be banned. In parody of that argument, I propose we remove all the existing clauses because luck is found in crits, team matchup, freeze hax, and a bunch of other places and we aren't going to ban those now are we?
You might think I've contrived these scenarios to give you scenarios which are inevitable for the person on the receiving end to lose but that's exactly the same as your Klefki vs Ygod/Goth fork (well I guess you could say that for example 1, Zekrom can try to land a crit with Outrage, but for all intents and purposes, you've lost). Are ANY of the Pokemon mentioned, classified as uncompetitive?
It's almost like I'm clairvoyant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)