XY OU Celebi/Heatran Balanced Team [Peak 1854]

all falls down

thanks ugly god
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello, this is my first RMT. I usually play Monotype, and I'm usually in the Monotype room, but I have pretty much played every tier and enjoy most of them. I've always struggled with OU team-building and this is pretty much one of the first teams I've made that works for me and that I enjoy using.

I've been laddering with this team and at the moment my peak is 1854:

Teambuilding Process

I started the team wanting to make it balanced with the main defensive core being Heatran and Celebi.

I added Mega - Gyarados to round it off as a fire water grass core.

I then added in Zapdos because I needed a way to get rid of hazards along with a way to beat Mega - Pinsir which was a huge threat to my team.

Kyurem-black worked perfectly with Gyarados, so I added it in, with the added benefit of screwing over stall teams.

Mienshao helped check Bisharp, was a good lead, lured Landorus, Garchomp, and Gliscor, and was a good wallbreaker, so I added it in.

I found that I needed a revengekiller, and Zapdos wasn't helping too much, so I replaced it with Latios.

After getting rid of Zapdos, I was very, very weak to Mega Pinsir, so I replaced Kyurem with Thundurus, because of its ability to check Pinsir nicely.

Team In-Depth

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Standard specially defensive Heatran is part of the main defensive core, and is my hazard setter. It covers Celebi's weaknesses, and Celebi covers its own weaknesses. Toxic is used so Heatran can come out on top against virtually every defogger. Heatran does a good job tanking hits from the likes of Thundurus, Mega Gardevoir, Gengar, Venusaur, Talonflame, and more.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Perish Song
- Recover
- Giga Drain

I use physically defensive Celebi to add to the defensive core with Heatran. Celebi is a great defensive pivot; with thunder wave, it can support the team by slowing things down for the rest of my team to pick apart. I originally had baton pass instead of perish song for momentum and to avoid pursuit, but after having major issues with Geomancy pass teams, I made the switch. Celebi does a good job taking on Pokemon like Excadrill, Keldeo, Breloom, Rotom-Wash, who all threaten this team greatly.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute

Gyarados finishes off the core nicely as Fire Water Grass. Its a secondary check to Bisharp and Gengar after its mega evolved, and its a nice late game cleaner. I use substitute so it can set up without fear of status on Pokemon like Slowbro and Mew, and with a substitute it gets very tough to revenge kill. Gyarados can take on Pokemon like offensive Heatran and Landorus-I, which happen to easily get past Celebi and Heatran.

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Trick
- Psyshock
- Defog

Latios serves two main purposes: revenge killer and defogger. With both Thundurus and Gyarados being weak to stealth rock, I really needed a way to get rid of hazards, and Latios does a good job of that. I tried out this set and really loved it, because with a scarf it can revenge kill many huge threats like Charizard, Greninja, and even swift swim Pokemon like Kingdra and Ludicolo. Trick is there to cripple annoying walls like Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Chansey/Blissey.

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

As it stood, my team was very weak to Mega-Pinsir, and with it being so common I needed to do something about it. That's where Thundurus comes in, as it is a very solid check to Pinsir. I use the Nasty Plot set as it can really tear apart teams to the point where Gyarados can finish them. Focus blast for Heatran and Tyranitar. As an added benefit, Thundurus also gets rid of Skarmory, which can be a pain for my team to deal with.

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 SpA / 232 Spe
Naive Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

I've always loved Mienshao, and so I really wanted to use it on a team. It usually serves as my lead, scouting with Fake Out and U-turn. Hidden Power Ice destroys Landorus, Garchomp and Gliscor. The STAB High Jump Kick carries immense power that destroys problematic walls like Ferrothorn, Chansey, Rotom-Wash, Heatran, and more. Mienshao is another check to Bisharp along with Mega Gyarados, which helps immensely. I've changed Fake Out to Knock Off, but the utility and priority of Fake Out was really missed so I changed it back. Life orb compliments its power, and Regenerator helps its longevity.

Threatlist

Greninja can prove to be a problem with stab hydro pump and ice beam. My usual check is to go into Gyarados, but Gyarados can be worn down pretty easily. Latios also checks it, but can't switch in.

Mamoswine has the potential to be a huge threat, as it dismantles Celebi and Heatran. Nothing can really switch in on it, but Mienshao and Gyarados check it.

MEGA PINSIR is one of the biggest threats to my team so it deserves the biggest picture. This thing completely demolishes my team even without a swords dance. My checks to it are Thundurus and Latios, but if they go down its pretty much over for me.

If Mega Charizard X has earthquake, it can be a problem, because it gets past Heatran. It can be fairly easily revenge killed by Latios and Gyarados, though. It will also have trouble setting up on anything besides Thundurus, as Celebi has thunder wave, Heatran has toxic, Mienshao can nearly OHKO with HJK, Latios can obviously draco meteor it, and Gyarados can earthquake it.

Mega Gardevoir is a threat as well, but has to rely on shaky accuracy Focus Blast to get past Heatran, and can be weakened by Mienshao's hit and run. Once its in a good place, though, nothing on my team can switch into it.

Importable

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 SpA / 232 Spe
Naive Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Trick
- Psyshock
- Defog

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Toxic

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this!

Last edited:

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Nice lege yeezy...you may want to resize your images a bit though.

I think celebi is kind of a luxury here, and your team might just benefit from slapping a scarf land-t on here in place of it. Checks a bunch of pokes on your threat list and is a solid mon overall for keeping momentum and holding a team together. Anyways dropping Latios' scarf can pretty much replicate the threats that keldeo beats, along with land-t beating excadrill. Also you are a less weak to garde, since it at least fears psyshock and won't be able to come directly in on latios a bunch of times during the match [as opposed to facing a choiced one that has 3 attacks it can come in on]. Final change I would make would be trying out a Magnezone in place of Thundurus, to go with the other changes. Magnezone helps trap Ferrothorn and have a slightly better switchin to stuff like azumarill. Scarfzone might be best since you can use it as a secondary check to some of the stuff on your threatlist.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Explosion
- Stone Edge

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

all falls down

thanks ugly god
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Nice lege yeezy...you may want to resize your images a bit though.

I think celebi is kind of a luxury here, and your team might just benefit from slapping a scarf land-t on here in place of it. Checks a bunch of pokes on your threat list and is a solid mon overall for keeping momentum and holding a team together. Anyways dropping Latios' scarf can pretty much replicate the threats that keldeo beats, along with land-t beating excadrill. Also you are a less weak to garde, since it at least fears psyshock and won't be able to come directly in on latios a bunch of times during the match [as opposed to facing a choiced one that has 3 attacks it can come in on]. Final change I would make would be trying out a Magnezone in place of Thundurus, to go with the other changes. Magnezone helps trap Ferrothorn and have a slightly better switchin to stuff like azumarill. Scarfzone might be best since you can use it as a secondary check to some of the stuff on your threatlist.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Explosion
- Stone Edge

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Thanks for your response!

I understand your changes, but I question the addition of Magnezone here. I don't have that much of a problem with Ferrothorn and Skarmory, and adding Magnezone seems redundant because Thundurus can severely weaken the other team and overall does a better job than Magnezone. Celebi can already switch in great on Azumarill, it can even recover off a banded Knock Off. I agree with your Latios set, and I'll try using the Landorus, but I feel like adding it will make my team severely weak to Keldeo along with increasing my weakness to Greninja. I think Celebi's speed control would also be missed.

Once again, I'll test out the changes and respond later.

Last edited:

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for your response!

I understand your changes, but I question the addition of Magnezone here. I don't have that much of a problem with Ferrothorn and Skarmory, and adding Magnezone seems redundant because Thundurus can severely weaken the other team and overall does a better job than Magnezone. Celebi can already switch in great on Azumarill, it can even recover off a banded Knock Off. I agree with your Latios set, and I'll try using the Landorus, but I feel like adding it will make my team severely weak to Keldeo along with increasing my weakness to Greninja. I think Celebi's speed control would also be missed.

Once again, I'll test out the changes and respond later.
it's there to go along with the proposed landorus change, as azumarill sort of becomes difficult to beat if you swap out celebi for land-t. obviously your team can beat skarmory and ferrothorn, but a good player is going to keep them healthy, and immediately switch them out of anything that looks threatening because they stop your gyara froms weeping, which is the main goal of the team. magnezone forgoes this by trapping/killing them, and opens up a path for gyarados for any teams that have one. i dont really see how you are that weak to keldeo with a gyarados and latios on the squad. with offense you are not going to have an 100% counter to everything [even though both are solid ways to beat keld most of the time], you have to play aggresively and set the tempo of the match with your own plays, it's usually better to have a general response to many threats then solid counters to a fraction of them

Hello All Falls Down this team is pretty solid, but i'm noticing a very strong weak to Mega Pinsir, you don't have a solid response to its Return or Close Combat, and it kills your entire team.

Also, your team can't deal with Mega Charizard X.
Ok, its revengekilled by Latios, but you can't come into its moves, it kills at least one of your 'mon, and if it has EQ Heatran will be screwed out.

First, I would change Thunder Wave > Nasty Plot on Thundurus, it helps a lot against them, making useless Mega Charizard's Dragon Dance, and Pinsir has to relie on its priority in order to attack first.
Also, you're pretty weak to Flying users, thats why you can put Scarf Tyranitar > Mienshao.
I don't really like the latter in this team, most of the time its very useless, but the first is very useful to deal against other Thundurus / Gardevoir / Greninja.

Ok now change Celebi's Thunder Wave into Heal Bell, with that you can throw away status problems, that cripple this team.
Last, change Latios's Scarf into Life Orb, and Roost > Trick, you need it alive because hazards are problematic to deal with.

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Perish Song / Psychic
- Recover
- Giga Drain

Tyranitar @Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Defog

Hope this helps, good luck!

Mix

mahmood soldi
is a Past WCoP Champion
Hi there, nice team
I saw your team and I have a purpose for your treaths, Jirachi can stop Gardevoir, Thundurus so i purpose a chenge with Zapdos>Hetran for Mega-Pinsir is has a better defense and can give you momentum with volt switch, thundurus can't take Pinsir, and Ferrothorn>Celeby, ferrothron can beat easily Mamoswine,greninja and with gyro ball can beat garde, for last change Terrakion>Latios, scarf kion beat easily all of your treaths with stone edge and you don't need a defogger now because you have zapdos, here the sets.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 14 HP / 252 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Classic Zapdos can take Pinsir easily and can beat it with volt switch.

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 194 HP / 248+ Def Zapdos: 99-117 (26.8 - 31.7%) -- 33.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 194 HP / 248+ Def Zapdos: 198-234 (53.6 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Zapdos Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 200-236 (73.8 - 87%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 180-214 (66.4 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn, can take Greninja easily because now no one use HP Fire on it, beat mamoswine very easily, also thundurs has beated by ferro, because with superpower can't 2hko it and ferro can set the lseed.

0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 438-516 (158.1 - 186.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 88 SpD Ferrothorn: 256-302 (72.7 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
70 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 182-216 (51.7 - 61.3%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 70 Atk Life Orb Thundurus Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 120-143 (34 - 40.6%) -- 41% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
244+ Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 156-185 (44.3 - 52.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 372-438 (103.6 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Nice scarf kion, close combat + stone edge the STAB, eq for jirachi and x-scissors for latwins, beat all of your threaths very easily, and is the revenge killer or mega-charizard-x.

252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 296-350 (99.6 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 556-660 (205.1 - 243.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 542-638 (189.5 - 223%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Terrakion X-Scissor vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 242-286 (84.6 - 100%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 470-554 (130.9 - 154.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 434-512 (145.1 - 171.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Hope I Helped, bye!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)