ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose Freeze-dry will be included in Glalie's level-up movepool, but I really wanted it to be in Snorunt's (or as an egg move) because Freeze-dry Froslass would be really cool. Also, why is Technician Draining Kiss still not a thing? Roserade and Mr. Mime would love it (the image of Mr. Mime using the move is pretty disturbing, though).
Because we have Dazzling Gleam. It might not be bad on bulky Roserade though.

I think that move animation Dusknoir used is Hex.

From what I remember on the trailer the protagonist was battling Phoebe`s Dusknoir with Mega-Diancie. If I remember it correctly, dusknoir used will-o-wisp which was then bounced back due to mega diancie`s magic bounce.

From what I remember on the trailer the protagonist was battling Phoebe`s Dusknoir with Mega-Diancie. If I remember it correctly, dusknoir used will-o-wisp which was then bounced back due to mega diancie`s magic bounce.
Mega Diancie was never shown battling Phoebe.

It's still one of the worst parts about Pokemon that needs to be hacked out and replaced with a system that doesn't require any sort of luck.
Its only a 'worst part' because of people who hack in legendaries force others to go to obscene lengths to run teams that rely on unique hard to obtain mons. Some of the best VGC'rs used simple to get easy mons and trolled the competition. This concept that 'perfection' is exactly what must be played with is a poor excuse to justify bending rules implemented by official Nintendo tournaments and only underlines a philosophy of 'win at any cost' not a 'compete justly' spirit. Keep the theoretical metagame with the simulations, thats why they exist.

Besides, apart from niche HP strategies (which is even further nerfed in gen 6), perfect IVs mean nothing when levels are capped at 50 or lower. Excluding the speed calculations there is plenty of wiggle room between the RNG battle mechanics and the IVs of any mon.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Okay, just finished looking through the teams of the games rivals and here is what I found. Incase you don't want to look back, here is also links to my Gym Leader and Hoenn League analysis:

Gym Leaders
Hoenn League

Now, onto the Rivals:

Chose Mudkip:
Treecko (Lv. 5) (Ability: Overgrow) (Moves: Pound/-----/-----/-----)
Chose Treecho:
Torchic (Lv. 5) (Ability: Blaze) (Moves: Scratch/-----/-----/-----)
Chose Torchic:
Mudkip (Lv. 5) (Ability: Torrent) (Moves: Tackle/-----/-----/-----)
Changes:
1. Treecko/Torchic/Mudkip lost Growl.
Opinion:
This battle actually may have become more diffcult. Without a Status Move to potentially waste a turn on means they could just as easily win the battle.
Actually, it's odd they're missing the Status Move, I have a feeling that this might be a mistake.

Chose Mudkip:
Slugma (Lv 18. Magma Armor), Wailmer (Lv 18. Water Veil), Grovyle (Lv 20. Overgrow)
Chose Treecho:
Wailmer, Shroomish (Lv 18. Effect Spore), Combusken (Lv 20. Blaze)
Chose Torchic:
Shroomish, Slugma, Marshtomp (Lv 20. Torrent)
Changes:
1. Instead of a Numel, May/Brendan uses a Slugma (though they did use a Slugma (and later Magcargo) in Emerald, but it had Flame Body instead of Magma Armor).
Opinion:
The rival's Pokemon moves aren't listed, so as far as we know it's the same. As for the Fire-type switch, I'm guessing since Slugma starts out a a pure Fire-type its preferable to Numel who's part Ground, esepcially if May/Brendan have the Mudkip family. Don't know why they switched Abilities, I'd say to make it easier but then again Shroomish's Ability is just as bad.
They'll start with the Pokemon your is super effective against, so you may want to consider setting up if you can. If they have a Shroomish, remember not to directly attack it. Expect each of their Pokemon to have a STAB move (two if their dual-type) and the starters to possibly have additional coverage.

Chose Mudkip:
Slugma (Lv 24. Magma Armor), Wailmer (Lv 24. Water Veil), Grovyle (Lv 26. Overgrow)
Chose Treecho:
Wailmer, Shroomish (Lv 24. Effect Spore), Combusken (Lv 26. Blaze)
Chose Torchic:
Shroomish, Slugma, Marshtomp (Lv 26. Torrent)
Opinion:
So looks like they added a new battle here, looks the same as Route 110 but their Pokemon are higher levels and they probably have stronger moves.

Chose Mudkip:
Slugma (Lv 31. Magma Armor), Wailmer (Lv 31. Water Veil), Grovyle (Lv 33. Overgrow)
Chose Treecho:
Wailmer, Shroomish (Lv 31. Effect Spore), Combusken (Lv 33. Blaze)
Chose Torchic:
Shroomish, Slugma, Marshtomp (Lv 33. Torrent)
Changes:
All their Pokemon gain 2 levels.
Opinion:
Third time battling against the same team...

Chose Mudkip:
Swellow (Lv 37. Guts), Magcargo (Lv 37. Magma Armor), Wailord (Lv 37. Water Veil), Sceptile (Lv 39. Overgrow)
Chose Treecho:
Swellow, Wailord, Breloom (Lv 37. Effect Spore), Blaziken (Lv 39. Blaze)
Chose Torchic:
Swellow, Breloom, Magcargo, Swampert (Lv 39. Torrent)
Changes:
1. Swellow gains 6 levels.
2. Their Grass/Fire/Water "replacers" and starters evolved and gained 5 levels.
Opinion:
This is a new and very welcomed change! In Gen III May/Brendan never fully evolved their starters (nor the Grass/Fire/Water "replacers) so in addition to missing the starter family you didn't pick you'll also missing their staters final evolution. Well they fixed that and more!
They'll start with Swellow which may trip up your starter as Flying is super effective & resistant Grass an Fighting while immune to Ground. Also remember that upon evolving that Breloom and Magcargo gain a secondary type so have a new STAB and type chart. And now with their Starter fully evolved it may provide some challenge.

Chose Mudkip:
Swellow (Lv. 48) (Ability: Guts) (Moves: Aerial Ace/Quick Attack/U-turn/Steel Wing)
Raichu (Lv. 48) (Ability: Static) (Moves: Thunder Wave/Thunderbolt/Quick Attack/Light Screen)
Magcargo (Lv. 48) (Ability: Magma Armor) (Moves: Earth Power/Lava Plume/Body Slam/Rock Slide)
Wailord (Lv. 48) (Ability: Water Veil) (Moves: Surf/Heavy Slam/Bulldoze/Ice Beam)
Sceptile (Lv. 50) @Sceptilite (Ability: Overgrow) (Moves: Leaf Blade/X-Scissor/Dual Chop/Night Slash)
Chose Mudkip:
Swellow, Raichu, Wailord
Breloom (Lv. 48) (Ability: Effect Spore) (Moves: Seed Bomb/Force Palm/Venoshock/Rock Tomb)
Blaziken (Lv. 50) @Blazikenite (Ability: Blaze) (Moves: Blaze Kick/Brick Break/Quick Attack/Shadow Claw)
Chose Torchic:
Swellow, Raichu, Breloom, Magcargo
Swampert (Lv. 50) @Swampertite (Ability: Torrent) (Moves: Earthquake/Muddy Water/Rock Slide/Brick Break)
Opinion:
Wha... when does THIS battle happen? May/Brendan is stronger than Wally is at Victory Road right before you face the Hoenn League. Did they maybe move things around, like maybe you'll face Wally at the beginning of Victory Road and May/Brendan right before facing the Hoenn League?
Well, at least there are moves. They start off with Swellow just like last time, but if things aren't looking so good for it it'll probably switch out with U-turn. Raichu can set up Light Screen as well as paralyze with Thunder Wave. The rest of their Pokemon are purely offensive. From the Grass/Fire/Water "replacers" there's nothing that noteworthy, though take note Wailord has Heavy Slam and a decent amount of Pokemon will take the full 120 damage from it (the Pokemon's weight would need to be equal to or lower 175.48 lbs/79.6 kg). But that starter, wow, considering the role May/Brendan had in Gen III I would have never thought they'd be pulling out a Start Mega Evolution (which reminds me, didn't Serena/Calem and Shauna also get a Kanto Starter and their Mega Stone?). Only thing I can say here is that remember Mega Sceptile becomes parts Dragon-type and Mega Blaziken gets the Speed Boost ability. That said, I do think Swampert should have been given Rain Dance so it could activate its Mega Swampert's Swift Swim.

Ralts (Lv. 17) (Ability: Synchronize)
Changes:
1. Ralts gained 1 level.
Opinion:
I would say that it might get a Fairy-type move, but the only damaging Fairy-type move Ralts can learn is Dazzling Gleam from TM. So just be aware that it's part Fairy-type now which means it's type chart has changed. However it shouldn't be that hard of a battle.

Altaria (Lv. 46) (Ability: Natural Cure) (Moves: Aerial Ace/Safeguard/Dragon Pulse/Cotton Guard)
Delcatty (Lv. 46) (Ability: Cute Charm) (Moves: Sing/Disarming Voice/Charm/Feint Attack)
Roselia (Lv. 46) (Ability: Poison Point) (Moves: Synthesis/Leech Seed/Petal Blizzard/Toxic)
Magneton (Lv. 46) (Ability: Sturdy) (Moves: Screech/Discharge/Tri Attack/Flash Cannon)
Gallade (Lv. 48) @[~ 756] (Ability: Steadfast) (Moves: Psycho Cut/Close Combat/Slash/Swords Dance)
Changes:
1. Switched Gardevoir for a Gallade who's holding its Mega Stone.
2. Altaria gained 2 levels; lost Dragon Dance and Dragon Breath; & gained Dragon Pulse and Cotton Guard.
3. Delcatty gained 3 levels; lost Charm; & gained Disarming Voice.
4. Roselia gained 2 levels; lost Magical Leaf and Giga Drain; & gained Synthesis and Petal Blizzard.
5. Magneton gained 5 levels; switched Abilities from Magnet Pull to Sturdy; lost Thunderbolt and Supersonic; & gained Discharge and Flash Cannon.
Opinion:
Altaria will focus on setting up Safe Guard and using Cotton Guard. Delcatty has Sing and Charm which could be annoying, not to mention attacking it physcially may activate Cute Charm and infatuate your Pokemon. Roselia's focus looks on healing itself (Synthesis and Leech Seed) and poisoning you (Toxic and Poison Point), try attacing it with a Special attacker if you can. Magneton has Screech which seems odd but it helps set up for his next Pokemon: Gallade. Or more specifically, Mega Gallade. It'll use a Sword Dance and then probably go onto sweeping you, good luck with that.
With Mega Gallade his other Pokemon are just a footnote so there's really no need to improve his team, but I got some nitpicks. Its odd that Roselia and Magneton aren't fully evolved being this is end game. Also its odd Roselia's only attacking move is Physical when its a Special attacker and has access to Giga Drain (would go along wit its healing strategy). Finally Gallade could replace Slash with Leaf Blade, Night Slash. Earthquake, or Poison Jab for type coverage.

Altaria (Lv 64), Delcatty (Lv 64), Roserade (Lv 64), Magnezone (Lv 64), Gallade (Lv 66) @[~ 756]
Changes:
Though you can rematch Wally in Gen III, his Pokemon's levels gradually increased. However in thia rematch his Pokemon's levels are higher then even the last time his Pokemon's level raise, which isn't a bad thing mind you. It just means I can't relate him to his Gen III version anymore.
If I were to mention any changes, I guess it would be with his previous Victory Road(?) team above. He finally fully evolved his Roserade and Magnezone. However they still have the same moves, they're just higher leveled and a few are evolved now.
Opinion:
Well nice he evolved Roserade and Magnezone, though Roserade still has its Physical attack. Not really much else to mention here.

Roserade (Lv. 79) Bright Powder (Ability: Poison Point) (Moves: Shadow Ball/Leech Seed/Petal Blizzard/Poison Jab)
Talonflame (Lv. 79) Life Orb (Ability: Gale Wings) (Moves: Brave Bird/Flare Blitz/Steel Wing/Tailwind)
Azumarill (Lv. 79) @Assault Vest (Ability: Huge Power) (Moves: Aqua Jet/Play Rough/Aqua Tail/Iron Tail)
Magnezone (Lv. 79) Air Balloon (Ability: Sturdy) (Moves: Thunder Wave/Discharge/Reflect/Flash Cannon)
Garchomp (Lv. 79) Rocky Helmet (Ability: Rough Skin) (Moves: Dragon Claw/Crunch/Earthquake/Stone Edge)
Gallade (Lv. 81) @[~ 756] (Ability: Steadfast) (Moves: Psycho Cut/Close Combat/Leaf Blade/Swords Dance)
Changes:
Once again, the changes will be from his previous team above rather then something which was in Gen III.
1. Uses a full party of 6 Pokemon.
2. Swapped out Altaria, Delcatty for a Talonflame, Azumarill, and Garchomp.
3. All his Pokemon are now holding items (Gallade still has its Mega Stone).
4. Roserade is now holding a Bright Powder; lost Synthesis and Toxic; & gained Shadow Ball and Poison Jab.
5. Magnezone is now holding a Air Balloon; lost Screech and Tri Attack; & gained Thunder Wave and Reflect.
6. Gallade lost Slash and gained Leaf Blade.
Opinion:
Oh look, Wally is the first trainer I covered that remembered that a Pokemon can hold an item other then a Mega Stone!
Boy, what team. First out will be Roserade who's holding a Bright Powder so you may be missing it sometimes, probably giving it enough time to set up a Leech Seed. Talonflame is holding a Life Orb, has its Hidden Ability Gale Wings, and Brave Bird (though it may first try setting up a Tailwind); good luck with that. Azumarill is an offensive powerhouse who has high Special Defense, so use Physical attacks. Magnezone temporarily loses its quadruple Ground-type weakness thanks to Air Balloon and will probably try setting up a Reflect or paralyze our Pokemon with a Thunder Wave. Garhomp is another offensive powerhouse with a Rocky Helmet for your Physical attackers. Finally Gallade had took my advice and switched out Slash for Leaf Blade for more coverage.
So yeah, you'll be in for quite a battle here. But I'm curious now about these rematches. I'm beginning to wonder whether "Rematch 1" may actually be an initial post game battle with him and then later in the game, probably somewhere in the Battle Resort, you'll find him there and once every day he'll battle you; sort of like Barry in Gen DPP or Serena/Calem in XY.

Next up, Team Aqua/Magma teams!​

Last edited:
The demo is almost certainly based on an old build, probably a previous trade-show demo or something.
The stats are probably pretty reliable (since the demo Pokemon should play like their final form) but the movepools might not be especially since we weren't even meant to see them.

Freeze Dry Glalie (if it's a thing) will be interesting since it'll have a way to hit waters with effectively 210 power.
The fact that it's special and a few other interesting moves (eg. Ice Shard, Explosion) are physical is kind of annoying though.
It might need a rather carefully crafted EV spread depending on its intended role given that its stats are rather modest for a Mega while having to split EVs across both offenses and speed.

I don't want to spoil myself, thanks Pikachu#Numbers

Btw, who is going to buy Alpha Sapphire too because expanding land is actually awesome and not something we would regret?

Btw, who is going to buy Alpha Sapphire too because expanding land is actually awesome and not something we would regret?
I really hope that was sarcastic; it's kind of hard to tell...

I'm getting Omega Ruby regardless, since I've never had a chance to get Groudon and Latios before and fuck yeah Zangoose.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

I understand, that's why everything is in spoiler tags. Though I personally don't care for spoilers (at least in terms of teams), I know some do and want to be surprised by what has and hasn't changed.

I'm getting Omega Ruby regardless, since I've never had a chance to get Groudon and Latios before and fuck yeah Zangoose.
This may sound silly, but I'm mainly getting it to see what changes they've done to the story and how the new additions to Pokemon will affect a way a previous game was played.

I actually didn't get FRLF or HGSS since it didn't look like they changed the story that much. Sure FRLG has the Sevii Islands added and HGSS gave the Rocket admins more personality and extended the post game by quite a bit, but it just felt like a add on to the original games and I'd already played those. However ORAS looks like it wants to shake things up storywise by quite a bit. Not only are they implementing Mega Evolutions/Primal Reversion into the story but Team Aqua/Magma are getting way more personality.

Other then that there's also there's nostalgia, new Mega Evoutions, getting most of the Legendaries, having a game that's compatible with official Pokemon tournaments and events, etc..

This may sound silly, but I'm mainly getting it to see what changes they've done to the story and how the new additions to Pokemon will affect a way a previous game was played.
Well yeah so am I and I'm sure a lot of people are; I'm just clarifying why I was getting Ruby instead of Sapphire.

I'm getting OR just because I think Maxie is cooler and I like red. Although I will get AS after the price drops like I did with X and Y.

I'm getting Omega Ruby on release. Pokémon Ruby was my first Generation III game, so I'm going to mimic it and make Omega Ruby my first Generation III remake game.

I'm inevitably picking up the other version if the differences are great enough for my birthday though. Plus it would be nice to have Alpha Sapphire to use as my 'replay' game (to pick up doubles of Mega Stones for trade bait, etc).

On a side note, has anyone taken a look at the dll file dump? Fairly interesting.

Is there anything known about version exclusives? (mostly mega stones, I wana know wich megastones are in wich game, but I guess that can't be found yet?)

Is there anything known about version exclusives? (mostly mega stones, I wana know wich megastones are in wich game, but I guess that can't be found yet?)
Zangoose, Latios, Latiosite and Groudon in Ruby, Seviper, Latias, Latiasite and Kyogre in Sapphire. That's all that's confirmed, but I've no doubt the version exclusives will be the exact same as the originals (with some new additions and mega stones).

I wonder is salamence will be as per tyranitite and aggronite.
Considering it's the Mega of an E4 Member and the fact Garchompite wasn't version exclusive... I'd doubt it. Would have theorized that Metagrossite and Salamencite would be version exclusive but then they're doing that shiny beldum event so yeah.

Considering it's the Mega of an E4 Member and the fact Garchompite wasn't version exclusive... I'd doubt it. Would have theorized that Metagrossite and Salamencite would be version exclusive but then they're doing that shiny beldum event so yeah.
Personally I feel that besides the Lati@site Mega Stones, I don't think there will be any version exclusive Mega Stones unless there are more Mega Stones we don't know of yet. The reason why I think this is the case is because most of the version exclusive stuff is related to Wild Pokemon and Storyline differences. The only version exclusive Mega Stones I could see happening are Sableye and Mawile's Mega Stones.

Personally I feel that besides the Lati@site Mega Stones, I don't think there will be any version exclusive Mega Stones unless there are more Mega Stones we don't know of yet. The reason why I think this is the case is because most of the version exclusive stuff is related to Wild Pokemon and Storyline differences. The only version exclusive Mega Stones I could see happening are Sableye and Mawile's Mega Stones.
I'd also argue Sharpedonite and Cameruptinite, due to Sharpedo being the main Pokémon of Sapphire's antagonist and Camerupt being the main Pokémon of Ruby's antagonist.
And, of course, Red Orb and Blue Orb will be exclusive. I really hope they don't circumvent the whole "both primals on same team" thing by making them key items...

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I actually think you'll get Sharpedonite and Cameruptite in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, respectively. In the originals you allied with one of the teams, so it would makes sense if Archie gave you Sharpedonite for helping stop Team Magma and Maxie gave you Cameruptite for stopping Team Aqua instead of somehow getting the villain team's Mega Stones.

I'd also argue Sharpedonite and Cameruptinite, due to Sharpedo being the main Pokémon of Sapphire's antagonist and Camerupt being the main Pokémon of Ruby's antagonist.
And, of course, Red Orb and Blue Orb will be exclusive. I really hope they don't circumvent the whole "both primals on same team" thing by making them key items...
Oh yeah, I forgot about Camerupt and Sharpedo's Mega Stones. Also, I doubt the Red and Blue Orb items will become Key Items since they're now hold items, unless they restrict the trading of them between the two versions, which I don't see them doing.

In the end it doesn't seem like there will be many version exclusives outside of Mega Stones if no more are going to be added.

The only things that could possibly become version exclusives other than Wild Pokemon:

• Sabeye and Mawile Mega Stones
  • Camerupt and Sharpedo Mega Stones
  • Red and Blue Orb items

I actually think you'll get Sharpedonite and Cameruptite in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, respectively. In the originals you allied with one of the teams, so it would makes sense if Archie gave you Sharpedonite for helping stop Team Magma and Maxie gave you Cameruptite for stopping Team Aqua.
This makes a lot of sense. There could also possibly be a post-game event where you take down the opposite team according to which version you have as well.

I actually think you'll get Sharpedonite and Cameruptite in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, respectively. In the originals you allied with one of the teams, so it would makes sense if Archie gave you Sharpedonite for helping stop Team Magma and Maxie gave you Cameruptite for stopping Team Aqua instead of somehow getting the villain team's Mega Stones.
That's sort of along the lines I was thinking, too - would be a bit weird for you to get the Mega of the big bad.
//hit over head with lysandre's mega gyarados

So, anyone knows yet if Red/Blue Orb could be tradeable items or key items?
I'm getting OR just because I think Maxie is cooler and I like red. Although I will get AS after the price drops like I did with X and Y.
I will get AS as I think both Archie and Maxie are awesome, but Aqua Admins are much cooler:) Also Sapphire was first game I played, and despite me absolutely loving Promal Groudon much more than Kyogre, I will buy AS.
Unless Blue Orb is untradeable item, if it is, I will buy OR. But I think it will be tradeable (or both orbs will be gettable, like Silver/Rainbow wings in HGSS)

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Blue and Red Orbs are held items, so they'll almost certainly be tradeable between ORAS games. Jade Orb, on the other hand, is a key item (an unobtainable one, however).

Blue and Red Orbs are held items, so they'll almost certainly be tradeable between ORAS games. Jade Orb, on the other hand, is a key item (an unobtainable one, however).
Leftover data from HGSS, maybe? Is there any other Leftover Data from HGSS like the Apricorn Box or whatever to confirm that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)