Rampardos [QC : 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

QC: / /
GP: /
Overview
########
  • Great lead thanks to unique combination of Stealth Rock and Endeavor.
  • Very impressive Attack stat.
  • Powerful Stone Edge that hits a wide portion of the tier effectively.
  • Mold Breaker and Sheer Force are two very usable abilities.
  • Quite a wide movepool with a variety of options.
  • Not very good bulk; coupled with its Speed, it get hits quite a bit before moving.
  • Attack stat is great, but thanks to its Speed it doesn't have the ability to abuse it to its full extent.
Lead
########
name: Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Endeavor
move 4: Superpower / Earthquake
ability: Mold Breaker
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========
  • Stealth Rock is a fantastic move in every regard and is especially useful to slowly wear down Sneasel and Musharna.
  • Endeavor is used when Rampardos is brought into Focus Sash range, where it can bring down something to 1 HP alongside it.
  • Stone Edge is mainly filler but works well thanks to many Defog users being of the Flying-type.
  • Final slot is mainly filler for coverage; Superpower to hits Bastiodon and Golem and more, Earthquake for all around coverage.
  • Can also run Thunder Punch or something along those lines for specific coverage should an opposing lead worry you.
Set Details
========
  • A Jolly nature and 252 Speed EVs allow Rampardos to be as fast as it possibly can; do keep in mind, however, that it still isn't particularly fast.
  • Running 252 Atk EVs is important because no other EV allocation is important
  • Focus Sash should always be the item of choice to allow Rampardos to survive a hit and use Endeavor.
  • Mold Breaker is especially useful to break Sturdy and allows Stealth Rock to be used against the extremely off Natu.
  • Running a bulkier spread could be used, but this is better left to something other than Rampardos.
Usage Tips
========
  • The most effective way to use this set is to send Rampardos at first as a lead.
  • From here, using Stealth Rock is the best course of option.
  • Once brought down to 1 HP, use Endeavor.
  • If the opponent does not bring you to 1 HP, then attack.
  • It should be noted that if you know a Pokemon is faster and you're worried about whether to use Stealth Rock or Endeavor, just use Stealth Rock.
  • Stealth Rock is the primary goal of Rampardos' lead duty, not Endeavor [a very nice bonus]
  • Cannot block hazards itself, but is very effective at seading them.
Team Options
========
  • Being a suicide lead, Rampardos is the one supporting its teammates.
  • Blocking hazard removal through a Ghost-type such as Haunter or a Defog blocker like Purugly is appreciated.
  • Pokemon that enjoy Stealth Rock wearing down bulkier Pokemon such as Carracosta appreciate Rampardos' support quite a bit.
  • Simipour is nice as well.
  • Scyther :o
  • Sneasel enjoys Pokemon being weakened as well.
  • Using Rapid Spin is appreciated over Defog when thinking of hazard removal because since Rampardos will likely faint, it won't be able to set Stealth Rock again.
Other Options
#######
  • Sheer Force is an option with Rock Slide and many of other Ramprados' moves like Crunch and Zen Headbutt
  • Choice Band and Choice Scarf are quite viable
  • Superpower is cute to mow down Lickilicky
  • Swords Dance turns it into a ferocious Pokemon
  • Toxic is neat to cripple defensively-oriented Pokemon
  • Pain Split :o
Checks and Counters
########
  • Taunt: Prevents Rampardos from doing its main job [Misdreavus is a prime counter, only invested ones can outspeed though] :[
  • Bulky Ground-types: Torterra etc don't mind Stone Edge or Rampardos' coverage.
  • Bulky Pokemon: Musharna, Tangela, all brush off Stone Edge and can go about doing their own stuff after Stealth Rock has been set. Tangela also threatens in return with its STABs.
  • Poliwrath: Threatens to set up a Substitute or flat out Waterfall Rampardos

Last edited:
This is ready for QC o_o. Also, I decided not to add any other set because I feel this is the best set, it's the one I'm most familiar with and most comfortable using, and I think it deserves the main set tbh. If you have a concern with that then let me know :].

[Overview]
-Remove the Choice Band and Choice scarf thing as they are not receiving any set and a sentence like that can be moved to other options

[Lead]
-The moves could see some reorder (maybe Sr, Stone Edge, Endeavor, Coverage)
-Move Fire Punch to OO as it only hits Torterra harder and replace it with Superpower (which should be the first slash imo :/). Also add more target for both (piloswine, golem, bastion, ecc)
-Change the main EV spread to 252 attack/252 speed to maximise endeavor damage and offensive presence. Remove ANY mention of max hp
-Mention in usage tips that this set can't really stop other entry hazards setters bar like bastiodon but it is very effective at setting up its own even against natu
-team options needs serious improvement, Remove the rapid spin part, avalugg doesn't fit in hyper offensive teams at all.
Replace wigglytuff and meowstick with Purugly as it is the best defog deterrent and mention misdreavus alongside haunter as a spin blocker. Add more pokemon that see use in offense/ho like scyther, simipour, that stuff, and add spikes setters like garbodor

[OO]
Remove dragon tail and whirlwind and give a big mention to a mixed sheer force set

[C&C]
Add bulky ground types (like torterra) and expand the areas in general. Mention that walls cnatw directly stop it from getting rocks up, and lickilicky is not a counter o.O
Also haunter can't brush off stone edge at all, remove it and mention it in taunt users with stuff like misdreavus

Do this and tag me back :)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Rampardos wants a Wallbreaker set, cos it hits like a fuker. Here's a skeleton of the set I recommended to the NU analysis of Rampardos, tweaked for the PU meta.

Rampardos @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake / Superpower
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Beam

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm not too sold on this tbh. Hardly anybody uses Natu, and Rampardos cannot OHKO 4 HP Golem, much less those that invest in bulk. Bastiodon is the only thing it can OHKO (Natu I guess), and Golem can already accomplish much of what Rampy can do (nobody keeps Bastiodon in on Golem and Rampardos anyway, unless they absolutely need SR). The wallbreaker set probably accomplishes a lot more than the current lead set. QC thoughts?

If the set is being kept, Adamant probably should be the nature to KO 4 HP Golem.

252 Atk Mold Breaker Rampardos Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Golem: 250-296 (82.7 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

scorpdestroyer I was told by galbia to not include that set until QC decided n_n. I understand that Golem is great as well, but it doesn't have Endeavor. Golem is also quite slow, and so is Rampardos, but not as slow ya know? I think they are comparable in the lead role but Rampardos does have Endeavor to seperate it. I'm fine with Adamant idrc, any other QC input is nice.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Personally I'm still in favor of Sheer Force being included as a main set, because its coverage is amazing for PU and almost nothing defensive wants to switch into it, plus being a Sheer Force user = no LO recoil = more effective wallbreaking. Thoughts galbia?

Reactions: g
After having tested the set Punchshroom posted with Stealth Rock over Ice Beam I have to say it is good enough to be on the analysis as a standalone set. I'd like Unfixable to try it though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)