Drifblim [QC 0/3]

Overview
########
One of the Pokemon that has significantly dropped in usage thanks to certain mechanics being changed in Generation 6 Pokemon (Knock Off & Gems being unreleased)

+Surprise Factor
+Its an extremely versatile Pokemon
+Its typing gives you 3 nice immunities (normal, ground, fighting), 3 more resistances and 5 total weakness'
+can run both physical and special sets, even a support set can be extremely dangerous
-Has no gems for easy unburden abuse
-knock off is ~the~ coverage move to have this gen and drifblim is weak to it
-relatively frail despite high hp
-easily check (unless its late game)

ACRO BLIMP
########
name: ACRO BLIMP
move 1:Substitute
move 2:Acrobatics
move 3:Will-o-Wisp
move 4:Destiny Bond
ability: Unburden
item: Sitrus Berry
evs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
nature:Adamant

Moves
========

-Sub down to sitrus range
-Get access to huge speed + powerful stab
-Destiny Bond so that you can take at least one poke down with you after an unburden boost since you pretty much outspeed to entire non scarfed meta
-functions by crippling its switch ins before it switches out itself, providing nice support for other set-up sweepers

Set Details
========

-You want all your EVs invested in Attack to compensate for drifblims lack-lustre attacking stat
-Its still too weak with just 252 in Attack, therefore i give it an Adamant Nature to bolster its weak base 80 attack stat
-Invest the rest into speed so you can outspeed a lot of the unscarfed meta (timid acceglor and electrode only pokemon without a scarf able to outspeed other than ninjask)

Usage Tips
========
-Sub down on bulky attackers to sitrus range and get access to powerful stab + lots of speed
-Try and wittle your opponent down until you either knock yourself into sitrus range or the opponent does so for you
-When in sitrus range, spam acrobatics after it activates
-When on the cusp of dieing, destiny bond a foe with you
-If a pokemon slower than you is sweeping (without the unburden boost) it might be the best play to destiny bond it since this pokemon doesn't have a standard set used all the time.
-Its very difficult to predict a destiny bond coming from this
-don't sub down to sitrus range if a counter to acroblimp is on the other field as you will waste your unburden boost harming your ability to sweep late game.

Team Options
========
-Stuff that deals with what resists its main stab
-Magnet Trapper Probopass is extremely helpful for dealing with common steel types
-Seismitoad or another ground type to deal with electric mons
-Sawk or another fighting type to deal with rock pokemon

Baton Pass
########
name: Baton Pass
move 1:Stockpile
move 2:Baton Pass
move 3:Will-O-Wisp/Magic Coat/Destiny Bond/Protect
move 4:Shadow Ball
item: Weakness Policy
evs: 248 HP/ 252 Def/ 8 SpD
nature:Bold

Moves
========

-start setting up stockpiles and a weak pokemon like audino
-When the Weakness Policy activates, you have bulk and offenses to pass to any pokemon of your choice.
-For your last 2 move slots, you can decide for more longevity on field or more use after it has baton passed and its job has been finished.
-With Magic Coat, you can bounce back incoming taunts/encores that you dont want, Will-O-Wisp gives you an easier way to take physical hits (you have to consider this because of Drifblim's low defense)
-Protect so it is easier to predict what the opponents next move will be and baton pass out appropriately.
-Shadow ball in the final slot just because taunt is a thing, and i dont want to be caught with my trousers down setting up

Set Details
========

-You want all your EVs into making this thing as bulky as possible to take the incoming Super-Effective moves
-People often target this things low physical defense and as a result i put all EVs into it
-You dont need speed thanks to unburden.
-You can run more special defense EVs if you are finding special attackers a problem:
252 HP/ 140 Def/ 120 SpD with a Bold Nature is more optimised to passing bulk on both sides

Usage Tips
========

-Bring it in on weak attackers and try to lure weak knock offs to try and activate your weakness policy
-Opponents may set-up along side you, if this is threatening to you and your team baton pass as soon as possible. If the opponent lets you set-up to full and baton pass, the game is in your hands.

Team Options
========

-You should pass into a Pokemon that isnt easily affected by status and can easily abuse all the boosts given by drifblim.
-My favourite baton pass recipient has to be Xatu, since it isnt affected by status and the extra bulk physical allow it to set-up calm minds with ease.
- Crits definately bring this set down, be sure to have that in mind every time you set-up so try not to be too greedy

Calm Mind
########
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Fighting
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Rest/Substitute
item: Chesto Berry / Sitrus Berry
evs: 140 SpA/ 208 Spe/ 160 HP
nature: Modest

Moves
========
-Perfect Neutral Coverage with ghost/fighting ( if you decide to go down that route).
-Shadow Ball and TBolt are only resisted by
-Substitute so you can sub down to your sitrus range if your opponent doesnt attack you and get your unburden boost ready for a sweep
-Substitute can be used over Rest with a sitrus berry if your finding drifblims physical bulk rather problematic

Set Details
========
-252 in speed so its easier to sub down to sitrus range in the first place
-timid nature allows you to outspeed the entire meta after an unburden boost! (and speed tie with max speed ninjask lol)
-weak special attack, invest rest into special attack
-gives menace before even setting up

Usage Tips
========

-Start Calm Minding as soon as you get a free turn
-When something faster than you comes in (provided you have a substitute up) sub down into sitrus range
-Or start calm minding until you are threatened, live the hit it throws, rest back to full (thus activating chesto berry) and therefore able to sweep easier
-After the unburden boost, spam high powered shadow balls at the other team
-At +2 Sp.Attack Drifblim is a threat

Team Options
========

-Best Paired with hazard stackers to give drifblim extra turns to set-up (most hazard removers are special and therefore set-up fodder, sandslash has small sp def anyway)
-Pokemon that deal with physical threats and are physically defensive e.g. vileplume or spiritomb
-Powerful Wall Softeners that make it easier for blimp to sweep late game

Other Options
########
-defog + 3 attacks: It has the niche "the only defogger that can spinblock" if thats really a niche
-Flare Boost+ Flame Orb: Can cool for more instant access to power but is alot worse generally that unburden sub calm mind drifblim. It isnt worth the trade of

Checks & Counters
########
**Ferroseed** The most common answer to this set. Just sets up hazards while you are struggling behind a substitute. I just attack it with weak acrobatics until iron barbs puts me in sitrus range
**Physical Tanks** Stuff like Regirock literally stop this and set-up hazards whilst this is behind a sub. I normally destiny bond these pokes to force them out, or take them down with me. This should only be really take into account if you are using AcroBlimp
**Infiltrators** Spiritomb is an even better answer now since it can will-o-wisp through a sub should it feel endangered. Foul Play does ~a lot~ through the substitute
**Taunter's/Encore** Especially liepard and this is especially true for the first 2 sets as they require set-up. This probably the biggest threat to all drifblim so plan around liepard with caution

Last edited:
I personally think that AcroBlimp should be the first set listed. Even without Flying gem, it is the most consistent of all Drifblim sets, and is incredibly powerful at disrupting Stall and Offense alike, and easily nabs 1-2 KOs when played well. Its honestly Drifblim's best set, and imo should be the first thing newcomers should see.

I personally think that AcroBlimp should be the first set listed. Even without Flying gem, it is the most consistent of all Drifblim sets, and is incredibly powerful at disrupting Stall and Offense alike, and easily nabs 1-2 KOs when played well. Its honestly Drifblim's best set, and imo should be the first thing newcomers should see.
I've tried all these sets on the ladder and ordered them on how I think they did for me for the 5 or so games I used them. If I'm honest acroblimp isn't what it used to be subcm and blimppass are both better options. For me, blimppass into xatu was very effective and on its own won me games, reminiscent of chicken mind you. I understand problems with order and if its a lgt big problem, I'll change it :]

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
AcroBlimp also does not ever use Sucker Punch to my knowledge. It usually uses Will-O-Wisp to cripple Acro switch-ins, in a similar manner to Fletchinder (tbf Blimp did it before Fletch). In Usage Tips, mention that if Acro resists are present then you do not want to be activating Unburden in a hurry.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hi, your formatting is wrong. click here to find the format, you can copy/paste from there and fill it up. also no custom set names unless they have historical value. AcroBlimp is ok because it's been the word for it ever since BW1 but just name the others stuff like Calm Mind and Baton Pass

I'll check the actual quality once you get it out of WIP

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Checks and counters should be for the whole Pokemon, not each set. Other Options is a section you didn't mention as well

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
- I feel like the moves section of the first set has more of a Usage Tips feel to it. like, you're explain how to use the moves as opposed to why you choose them. fix pls
- don't mention fletchinder, as it won't make any sense to newer NU players :\

The last set should be the same as the one I've been using since gen 4, lol
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Rest
item: Chesto Berry
evs: 160 HP / 140 SpA / 208 Spe
nature: Modest

You absolutely don't need more than 208 speed EVs, as it outspeeds the entire Meta up to and including Scarf Typhlosion [who the fuck uses scarf pyroar n_n] after the Unburden boost. I don't see the need to have HP Fighting. Yes, ghost + fighting is unresisted, but that doesn't mean it's better - especially with how weak Hidden Power is in XY. Thunderbolt + Shadowball only misses out on Sawsbuck, Zweilous, and Cacturne, 2 of which kill you regardless, and one of which you kill anyway; and all of which are rather rare / irrelevant. 140 SAtk gets you to a jump point, and the rest goes in that already huge HP stat to allow for a bit more bulk. You can obviously run 252+ Satk, but I find the HP is nice to fall back on. Regardless, I think the 3rd set should look at least close to this :]

In general there's a lot of weird little grammatical quirks and informal stuff all over [things like - Be a hax god and dodge the crits!]. most of the key information is there, so you're off to a good start. clean it up a bit and tag me for first check :]

TheCanadianWifier, ive made sure that i mentioned your ev spread (since that really isnt my forte) and i have stacked all possible moves on drifblim including your idea of a chesto resto set. Ive made sure to cut out some silliness of mine from the initial post and have removed my fletchinder remarks (Since unexperienced players will be reading this anyway.) I have made adjustments to move tips (albeit not many). Apart from that stuff, i think its been cleaned and is ready :]

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
i'd separate the overview into a more "Pros vs Cons" kinda thing. Once again I feel all the important info is there [at least most of it], but it's just kinda lost as each line combines a lot of them

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd QC this, but I honestly have no fucking clue what Drifblim does well or what it even could do well. The only set I've ever used was Liechi Unburden with Sub / Baton Pass / Sucker Punch / Acrobatics, which should probably be somewhere on the analysis but hardly makes me a Drifblim expert. Bumping for QC checks. If no other QC members know what to do with it either, we can play around with some different stuff and see what works. I will mention that I don't think dedicated BP deserves a set, but that's all I've got.

Not sure if this is the right place, but there is this Drifblim I've thought up and I'd really like to know if it is worth anything in the eyes of informed Smogonauts:

move 1:Phantom Force
move 3:Will-O-Wisp
move 4:Tailwind/Disable/Protect
item: Power Herb
EVs: not sure
nature: Adamant

Mostly I'm thinking Doubles with this. Phantom Force is a new STAB which uses up the Power Herb, activating Unburden and increasing the power of Acrobatics. With doubled speed, Drifblim can either strike surprisingly fast or mess with the opponent by burning the physical attackers or Disabling the last move used. Phantom Force also ignores and cancels all kinds of Protects and Guards, which are everywhere in Doubles. Sure, it needs a charge turn after the first use, but it acts like a Protect and can't be Protected against. And even if the opponent switches, they will most likely take SOME damage anyway, since Normal types are regrettably rare. This Drifblim has ways to cripple the opponent, attack with respectable power or even mess with protecting tactics, so it might be neat for mind battles.

I'm not sure about the EV investment though. Obviously 252 Atk comes to mind, but I don't want to use 252 Speed if I don't need it to outspeed anything significant on that first turn. The remainder should probably go into HP or (Special) Defence (since Drifblim's HP is already massive).

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if this is the right place, but there is this Drifblim I've thought up and I'd really like to know if it is worth anything in the eyes of informed Smogonauts:

move 1:Phantom Force
move 3:Will-O-Wisp
move 4:Tailwind/Disable/Protect
item: Power Herb
EVs: not sure
nature: Adamant

Mostly I'm thinking Doubles with this. Phantom Force is a new STAB which uses up the Power Herb, activating Unburden and increasing the power of Acrobatics. With doubled speed, Drifblim can either strike surprisingly fast or mess with the opponent by burning the physical attackers or Disabling the last move used. Phantom Force also ignores and cancels all kinds of Protects and Guards, which are everywhere in Doubles. Sure, it needs a charge turn after the first use, but it acts like a Protect and can't be Protected against. And even if the opponent switches, they will most likely take SOME damage anyway, since Normal types are regrettably rare. This Drifblim has ways to cripple the opponent, attack with respectable power or even mess with protecting tactics, so it might be neat for mind battles.

I'm not sure about the EV investment though. Obviously 252 Atk comes to mind, but I don't want to use 252 Speed if I don't need it to outspeed anything significant on that first turn. The remainder should probably go into HP or (Special) Defence (since Drifblim's HP is already massive).
A good place to start for anything Doubles related would be the Doubles Sub-forum that we have on site, they have a nifty Q/A Thread right here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ks-and-q-a-thread—read-before-asking.3498688/ where I'm sure someone with more experience would be glad to answer any questions about your set.

The purpose of this forum is writing analyses for the NU metagame to go on-site, so we really don't handle that sort of thing here. :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)