XY OU Guerrilla Warfare (VoltTurn Team, peaked 1750)

On Latios, put HP Fire or HP FIghting??

• Total voters
Hello everyone, The Grim Garchomp here and welcome to my 4th RMT!! After being trashed by a VoltTurn team, I expeerienced first-hand how OP it is if you use it correctly (shout-out to Bloodz for indirectly helping me on this team <3). Anyways, after trynig out this team on ladder and tournaments, it was missing a bit something, and being the ignorant garchomp that I am i thought you people could help me. So here it is, my Guerrilla squad!!

Sensei (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

As the first part of my VoltTurn core, it's Sensei the Landorus-T!! With a Choice Scarf, it is guaranteed to outspeed almost every threat in the OU metagame, not counting the scarfed threats. This spot used to be occupied by Scizor and his Banded U-Turns, but the speed, ability, and moveset was too important to pass up, screwing over Chanseys, Intimidating DDancers like Dragonite and OHKO them, and the most important part, countering a former major threat to this team, Mega Charizard X. With the EVs and nature allowing Sensei to be as fast as possible and hitting the hardest it can, the moveset is pretty self-explanatory. Earthquake for STAB and Heatrans, Stone Edge for Talonflame and other flying-types not named Skarmory, Knock Off for opposing scarfed Landorus-Ts and Chanseys, and U-Turn for momentum.

Hunter (Bisharp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Low Kick
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off

You know how wise men say that to use your opponent's strength against them?? They are SO right!! With tons of Latias running around, Defogging and Roosting, I needed a strong counter against them. Knowing my weakness against Bisharp, I decided to use my weakness and make it my strength against other Latias, and it was a good decision. With the Life Orb, my Pursuits and Sucker Punches are now boosted to OHKO Latias, or the occasional Latios. Also with Defiant I get a free Swords Dance when getting Defogged, ensuring punishment on the Eon twins. The Evs and nature are not bulky as I can already tank an HP Fire coming my way, and for a fast-hitting Iron Head against fairies like Sylveon and Azumarill (it's a 2HKO on azu after Stealth Rock damage). The moveset is self-explanatory. Pursuit for the Eon twins, Knock Off for STAB and to screw with Chanseys, Iron Head for fairies and more STAB, and Sucker Punch for an OHKO before I get hit (like against any Latios with HP Fire). Replaced Pursuit with Low Kick to counter opposing Bisharps, Snorlax, and the common Mega TTar as it tanks Iron Head well. Also many Latios/Latias will stay in on Bisharp to use HP Fire/Healing Wish so Pursuit isn't the best choice in the current metagame.

Trigger (Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

As my defogger and special sweeper, we have Trigger the Latios!! (If you get the reference to this name you win life...and cookies <3!!) Needing a defogger due to lack of recovery in my VoltTurn core from hazards and no Mega Venusaur coverage, I decided on Latias at first, but switched it for Latios due to the higher attack power(besides, my Latias had a Life Orb, and Latios benefits from that a bit more, so why not??). With the EVs and nature making Trigger as fast and strong as possible (a bit more on the speed tho), I could have a fast Defog in case I was trapped from Tyranitar with Pursuit, while doing loads of damage. The moves are self-explanatory, with Draco Meteor for STAB, Psyshock for Mega Venusaur and non-scarfed Keldeo, and Defog for hazard clearance. However, the last move was a debate between HP Fire and HP Fighting. I have HP Fire for now, but please put your suggestions in the poll below.

Mom (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast

Replacing the late Ferrothorn, we have Mom the Clefable!! Suggested by Enki, it comepletely takes away the Rotom-W weakness, as with Magic Gaurd I do not have to worry about Will-o-Wisp draining away my HP. Also it allows me to tank Mega-Manectric's Thunderbolt easily, with over 50% HP remaining. With Leftovers for recovery, the EVs and nature allow mixed tanking for a guaranteed Stealth Rock setup. Also, unlike Ferrothorn, Mom is actually useful late-game, tanking attacks and slowly whittling down their HP with Moonblast and Flamethrower. If Mom's HP goes below half, I can Soft-Boil to keep it alive and keep tanking. All in all, Clefable was a better choice over Ferrothorn. Thanks to Enki for suggesting this <3

Stonehenge (Conkeldurr) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

After replacing Ferrothorn with Clefable, my team was tilting over to the special side, meaning special walls could counter this team in the late game. To fix this, I replaced Keldeo with Stonehenge the Conkeldurr to be the bulky sweeper to balance this team!!
With an Assault Vest, it allows me to tank special attacks like Moonblast to hit right back.
Seeing how my team is vulnerable to Will-o-Wisp/Toxic after Clefable bites the dust, I needed a physical sweeper that could take status, is a fighting-type, and can tank a few hits, making Conkeldurr a great addition to my team. With the EVs and nature making Conkeldurr be as bulky as an armored truck, it also makes Conkeldurr HIT like one. With Drain Punch, I can counter status damage by simply restoring HP. I can also counter Greninja with a max-power Mach Punch, which OHKOs it, making the threat of Greninja a thing in the past. With Knock Off I can screw with scarfed pokemon, relieve walls of their recovery items(*COUGHCOUGHleftiesCOUGHCOUGH*), and royally cripple Chansey after making it lose it's Eviolite. The last move, Poison Jab, allows me to counter fairies, after tanking their Moonblasts/Pixilate Hyper Voices (too much Sylveon!! TOO MUCH!) and also takes down Azumarill pretty well. Replacing Keldeo and it's power took Guts, and Conkeldurr has just that.
After having trouble with Talonflame, I decided to replace Poison Jab with Stone Edge for Talonflame and Charizard switch. Also Poison Jab doesnt even OHKO all the common fairies with Clefable and Sylveon.

Blackout (Manectric) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

As the second part of my VoltTurn core, and my mega special sweeper, it's Blackout the Mega Manectric!! With the Lightningrod ability, I can take any Volt Switches from unsuspecting Rotom-Ws and opposing Mega Manectrics and boost my SpAtk, for a mini-sweep or boosted VoltTurn momentum. With the EVs and nature allowing Blackout to have maximum power and speed, this Pokemon is a force to be reckoned with, taking at least 1 pokemon before it faints. Thunderbolt for STAB, Volt Switch for momentum and to work with Sensei to make an Intimidate VoltTurn core, Hidden Power Ice for any Landorus-T/Gliscor/Dragonite switching in after Stealth Rock damage, and Overheat over Flamethrower to get the OHKOs Flamthrower could never get, like against Magnezone.

So that's my Guerrilla Squad!! Now to list down the threats so you *COUGHCOUGH*assholes*COUGHCOUGH* gentlemen could counter my team <3!!
  1. Other Mixed Def Clefables (Without Hunter Iron Heading that thing to oblivion (and it STILL DOESNT KO O_o) that thing completely walls my team after Calm Minding and Moonblasting me to hell.)
  2. Mega Charizard X (Sensei may counter this thing, but if it gets at least ONE Dragon Dance up I'm pretty much dead. The bulky variant is easy to handle, but the offensive one takes some prediction to beat.)

Right now that is the only weakness I've seen, so until next RMT, this is The Grim Garchomp, signing off.

Importable:

Blackout (Manectric) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Sensei (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Stonehenge (Conkeldurr) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Hunter (Bisharp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Low Kick
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off

Trigger (Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Mom (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast

Last edited:
Hey whats up, your team it's cool and looks strong but you could make some changes to make it better.

I recommend you to change hidden power electric to flying that way you can hit venusaur and amoonguss harder.

I think its better to put power whip over gyro ball on ferrothorn, so you can hit Gyarados and Azumarill,
also change ferro spread to 88 in defense and 168 in sp.def impish nature, this spread makes ferro capable of taking more sp atk moves. Ah and put leftovers to a better hp recovery.

Keldeo checks the opposite bisharp, but when it goes down he can sweep you because intimidate gives him boost on atk and hp fire its not enough, so i recommend low kick on pursuit as an another alternative to beat him and it hits alot of mons too. Hope I helped.

Hey Garchomp!
Nice team, it's very well built! I have a couple ideas you might want to try out.

As far as hp fire/fighting, here is my take:

Hidden power Fire:
Hits ferrothorn
Hits scizor

Hidden power fighting:
Hits tyranitar
Hits bisharp
Hits heatran

I don't know if I'm missing something, though I might be. xD
If I am, please tell me.

Let's look at possible Pokemon to have to counter these. As far as ferrothorn and scizor, you can hit them with an overheat. However, with no way to surprise them, the switch is very likely, and these Pokemon can plague you later. You can also hit ferrothorn with hidden power fighting, but it will not do as much as hp fire would to more specially defensive builds.

For hitting bisharp, heatran, and tyranitar, you can use keldeo's secret sword. Secret sword also hits Ferro, but not as well as an hp fire would.

The hidden power choice really depends on what you think is more of a threat. Another option you could consider to deal with both of the types you aim to hit would be to give landorus-t superpower , and use hp fire on Latios. This would allow you to hit bisharp and tyranitar, while also dealing with Ferrothorn and scizor.

Finally, to deal with rotom-wash, you could use hidden power grass on mega-man. (This is not at all needed, but could be really cool) Though you would lose the power to hit dragons for weakness, you can often deal with them by using your intimidator core. To further help, you could change your lando set to a bold 252 hp 212 defense 44 special defense. This set will always live the hp ice from manectric, and can hit hard back with earthquake. Though the defense EVs could be better used, this set will help you fight dragons like Garchomp and dragonite that are harder to hit after changing to hp grass.

Changes:
Landorus --> 252 hp 44 sdef 212 anywhere else with leftovers and superpower. This will help you to better hit fighting weak Pokemon, while dealing with mega man and dragons better.

Keep HP fire on Latios.

Manectric --> hp grass (maybe)

I also second Decca's choice of putting leftovers on ferrothorn. It really helps you better use protect. Finally, remember that Latios' Draco meteor OHKO's rotom-wash at max health, it can come in handy!

Feel free to use or ignore these suggestions, I have no idea how well they will work. Good luck with the team!

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi. Your team is very good. I have used it and I am able to get a bit higher than 1750. I think that your team is really good but you are limited by your battling skill probably. If you are much better in battling your peak can be much higher. So thats how good your team is.

HP fire is better. It defeats annoying Skarmory which is problematic for Sensei and Bisharp. You lose out on Tyranitar but they arent common nowadays, and Sensei counters Mega T-tar very well. Yeh

Hello there! Imo your team is solid by this point. I don't think you need any major changes at this point. Though I do have a few things to point out.

For starters, although your team appears to have trouble with Rotom-W, Latios would be your main answer to it most of the time. It can come in on half its moveset, eat up the hit, and bop it with a Draco Meteor (unless its specially defensive).

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 261-308 (85.8 - 101.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 261-308 (85.8 - 101.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Here's the specially defensive set...
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 212 SpD Rotom-W: 216-255 (71 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

In either situation, it's a 2HKO (or a possible OHKO), so Rotom-W doesn't appear be too troubling. Speaking of Latios, you should run 29 HP IVs and move the 4 HP EVs into either SpD or Def. That way, you still have an odd IV number for HP Fire (correct me if I'm wrong there) and you take slightly less LO recoil.

Also, maybe consider Surf for Latios. It's powerful enough to hit Bisharp and Tyranitar on the switch and it doesn't lower your IVs, unlike HP Fire. However, you miss out on smacking Scizor and Ferrothorn. Although Draco Meteor does more to Bisharp, Surf still maintains a 2HKO on it and it can manage to 2HKO TTar, which Draco can't do (it puts a considerable dent into it though).

That's all I have to say for now!

I'd probably go with adamant on bisharp, considering most of your attacks are gnna be pursuit on twins, sucker, and knock off on switchins. basically you really need more power than speed.

Thank you ALL for replying (especially Metal Sonic, feels good that a mentor thinks that my team is good <3)!! I will keep HP Fire on Latios as I tried Surf but Ferrothorn and Megazor is SO common high up in ladder (don't forget Bisharp and Skarmory!) and I saw HP Fire OHKO the Bisharp after Stealth Rock damage. Also Surf does not give me any coverage what so ever (and it doesn't really OHKO Bisharp so kek). TTar tho isn't a problem as I get a nice Defog and revenge kill it with Maserati. Will say more soon, I gtg XD

1. Also, jolly nature works better to OHKO bisharp with low kick, as low kick is over pursuit, as I realize there are more Latios with HP Fire around, making them OHKO me in the process. Also with Low Kick this allows me to OHKO Bisharp and snorlax just fine (did have a bit of trouble with curse snorlax :P). I will also put Power Whip over Gyro Ball to hit the Azumarills/Megados around(testing my luck here, cross ur fingers peeps ;)) and change the EVs on Ferrothorn. Also I'll increase the IVs on SpAtk as you suggested as that helped me OHKO Bisharp. Once again, thanks everyone!!
    Last edited: Today at 8:29 AM
    The Grim Garchomp, Today at 5:36 AMEditHistoryDeleteSpamIPWarn
    #8LikeReply

2. The Grim Garchomp
    However, I disagree on the Lefties recovery, as it will give Backbone longevity, and that i do not want. Late-game, Backbone is almost completely useless, and used for cannon fodder to switch into a reliable sweeper. However, as cannon fodder I want to use his ability to the fullest and damage the pokemon that faints it the most (assuming it is a physical attacker), making Rocky Helmet the better choice in my part (the uncommon cinccino and the mach punches from Conk tanked by Backbone do well in getting the revenge kills from Sensei or Blackout). Also, I dont need the Lefties on Lando-T or that set as with scarf, Landorus-T already outspeeds mega-man, allowing me to OHKO it with Earthquake OR U-Turning out to tank the HP Ice with Backbone/Maserati, then playing smart from there.
    The Grim Garchomp, Today at 8:53 AMEditDeleteSpamIPWarn
    #9LikeReply
    Vinc608 likes this.

3. The Grim Garchomp
    Sadly, after trying the HP EV idea i got HP Dragon instead of Fire, so if anyone could help I would accept it. Just do not take away any IVs on spatk or speed <3.

I NEED TO NOTICE THE EDIT BUTTON

Last edited by a moderator:

Crestfall

levitate, levitate, levitate, levitate
Although you can't switch in, enemy manecs cannot come into your bisharp. +1 sucker punch with orb will always kill him. Also if you removed Gyro remember to put back on the speed IVs on ferro.

Hello there, interesting Volturn team.

Mostly I see you struggle against Rotom-wash and Greninja.
greninja resists Bisharp's Sucker Punch, and has no qualms to ohko him with Hydro Pump, Keldeo also has troubles against Extrasensory/Grass Knot, since he's slower, Lan-therian while faster, cannot come in on greninja's attacks, Manectric is faster only after megaevolving, and doesn't really have the bulk to tank greninja's attacks anyway, the fact that HP Fire saw more popularity isn't helpful to Ferrothorn too.
Rotom-wash on the other hand, can be annoying, and not outright a killer like Greninja, he can easily set up on a scald locked Keldeo, and has no qualms against Landorus coverage, wow also makes ferrothorn weak.
So, where do we go from here.
I would suggest you to change Ferrothorn to mixed Defensive Clefable.

Thanks to Magic Guard Clefable won't be worn down by hazards, as such he can easily help you against Manectric (thunderbolt only does 34-41) Thundurus and Greninja (since the two of them cannot 2hko him) and Rotom-wash, able to tank Hydro Pump, and doesn't care about burn for obvious reasons.
At the same time, you still get another dragon check (especially one who is not weak to Hidden Power Fire) and a Stealth Rock user

Set:

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast

Hope it helped, good luck!

Last edited:

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Awesome team nothings wrong with but make a few suggestions. you dont need defog really none that make pokemon are weak to rocks really. Use adamant bisharp jolly is useless. you can replace protect with t-wave on ferrothorn.

I actually do need Defog as with VoltTurn and no cleric backing me up with Wish for something, the residual damage will keep adding up, causing me to lose my VoltTurn early in the time. And in a way, my VoltTurn is my win condition, as I can keep switching out and predicting the enemy through VoltTurn. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

And thanks Enki, this works out better than Ferrothorn. With Clefable I do not need to worry about Will-o-Wisp/Toxic, and it prevents me getting trapped by Magnezone.

I will do Adamant Bisharp tho, Iron Head just barely failed to KO weakened Azu, to not be caught in that situation again I'll put Adamant.

Last edited:

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Lol I use that clefable set and its awesome. You might want to update your threats list because ferrothorn is still mentioned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)