XY OU RMT help with volt turn offensive team

So I've been off PS for a long time waiting for ORAS to come out and I've predominantly used balanced teams up till now. I decided to try out an idea I had for an offensive team centred around volt turn and Im hoping to get some help with it.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
The star of the team, able to put lots of pressure on my opponents team either by volt switching into another favorable match up when i scare my opponent out or dealing lots of damage with any of its strong attacks. Intimidate is a wonderful ability that really slows down my opponents offense as well. My most common lead which can deal with non scarfed Lando-t, garchomp, gyarados, greninja and many of the common steel types in the tier even checking talonflame to a certain extent.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
forms a strong double intimidate duo with manectric, which I think is quite useful given I have no dedicated walls. Also sets up rocks to wear down the opponents team given the constant switching he is likely to do and of course has uturn to gain the switch advantage when I scare my opponent out or when my opponent cant do much damage to me which happens often given its stellar typing and intimidate. Probably my next most common lead, being able to set up rocks and all that. Have been considering replacing this slot with intimidate staraptor to handle mega venusaur a bit better but i lose the ability to set up rocks, which has helped my team immensely given all the switches I force on their end.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

More Uturn to gain switch advantage and also raw power and priority with CB bullet punch. knock off provides good support as well to take away leftovers recovery from walls. Takes care of those fairies easily, especially cosmic power clefable, which ive found more and more commonly on teams. Scizor brings both raw power in the form of stab uturn and bullet punch and also more bulk.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Hydro Pump
- Extrasensory
- Ice Beam
Fitting into the theme of scaring out the opponent and gaining an advantage, heres greninja. Greninja is a very scary threat in todays meta and I've even found it possible to scare opponents pokemon out by bluffing moves I dont carry(eg darkpulse, grass knot) Greninja is just so scary given his wide movepool, my opponent really cant be sure what moves I'm carrying and often has to play safe and switch out. The difference here is scaring out the opponent can be used to set up spikes to further wear down the opponents team or hit the switch in for huge damage with a powerful stab move rather than gain momentum with uturn. Sheer power and coverage on the special side makes him a valuable member of the team. Another favourite lead to put pressure on the opponent on the very first turn.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Waterfall
I figured since i have no dedicated walls, Id bring some bulkier offense in the form of azumarill. Assault vest to take Special hits better since intimidate support is available. azumarill also lures electric type attacks, which manectric can take advantage of with lightningrod. Forms a decent steel fairy core with scizor.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off
same idea as azumarill. It also acts as the status absorber with guts, since I lack a cleric. Handles Bisharp and Heatran, 2 common threats in the meta right now. Invaluable knock off support.

Final thoughts
The basic Idea of the team is to use intimidate to handle physical hits and the 2 assault vests users to handle special hits, all while dealing huge damage or wearing the opponents team down by forcing them to switch, constantly gaining the switch advantage and momentum. Its worked alright so far and I really like the concept of the team. I've hit mid 1600 in the few games I've played. However I seem to have trouble with more defensive teams( skarmbliss, mega venusaur are all huge problems) though I generally have taken apart other offensive teams. Any thoughts and inputs to help would be great :3

Edit: been playing more games not and this team has peaked 1600++, having great difficulty laddering up :( would appreciate advice on my first run at a more offensive geared team.

Last edited:
Hmm... This team is great, and it has a wide variety of types, backing each other up. There is also STAB moves on the pokemon. You can add four more EVs on Conkeldurr, so speed would be good? And imo, Azumarill is better off special attacking, rather than attacking. It's just my opinion though, and it's your team. I think I would rate this a 8/10 - it's well planned, and you certainly know what you're doing with that team.

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Hi there bambamdwadle, I'm here as requested n_n This is a pretty cool Volt-Turn team you got here, though I team I can suggest some slight changes to your team structure that would make it even better. Seeing as how Bisharp, Azumarill, Mega Gardevoir, and opposing Mega Manetric look really annoying to your team, I think using Raikou over Mega Manetric and Mega Scizor over regular Scizor would be good for your team. AV Raikou let's you check Thundurus and opposing Mega Manetric, as well Greninja in a pinch. Mega Scizor's increased bulk is the reason this change is beneficial, as it lets you take on Azumarill, Bisharp and Mega Gardevoir very well, all of whom threaten your team. You also maintain you Volt-Turn core, which is great as I don't want to change the style of your team. Next up, Mega Pinsir and Mega Gyarados looks really anooying when switching away Mega Manetric. Thus, changing Landorus-T to a Scarfed variant. It makes the Volt_turn core even more annoying, as it gives you another fast Pokemon that offers a lot of momentum. This change leavs your team without Stealth Rocks, which is something every team needs. Conkeldurr looks like the most replaceable member of the team, so I suggest using SR Sash Terrakion over it. Terrakion fits perfectly into the offensive nature of the team, and still gives your team a secondary check to Bisharp. That was all I had really, hope I helped :]

Raikou @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice
- Extrasensory

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 164 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 12 Def / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

TheEnder I applied your changes :) I put aura sphere on raikou tho as I found ferrothorn and bugsteel types tough to handle without overheat on manetric. Been having decent success but still stuck at mid 1650s. Im going to try other changes like maybe switch up greninja for a scarfed victini. Thanks for the input man :)

Would appreciate any more input guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)