XY OU My first real attempt at creating a gen 6 team (advice?)

I've returned after a two year break off of any pokemon (games and battling) past g2. After a few horrible teams, I settled on this team for now. Before killing my rating by trying to recreate my old sandstorm team, this got me up to 1400 rating, but I feel that I could do MUCH better. Any advice?

Diggersby @ Focus Sash
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

This guy is pretty much the physical attacker of the group. Depending on how I set things up with Wobbuffet (or if they have a setup lead), I can get about 1-2 sword dances up. The real beauty of this guy is that focus sash because with correct switches, he can get very deadly. The only real threat to this guy after that is Gengar, but he can easily be taken care of by the Alakazam. Replacing Zapdos with this guy has helped out tremendously with those troublesome....well, any pokemon that can wall Zapdos well.

Magikarp (Wobbuffet) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 28 HP / 228 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Encore
- Counter
- Mirror Coat

This guy is still as amazing as ever! I can just wreck teams with this guy face down. When it comes to people buffing, destiny bond and encore are the most magical abilities in the world, letting me sweep an entire team with ditto. The only ability that cripples this guy 100% is Knock off or a super buffed pokemon (that I proceed to go Ditto on). As well as that, he can take care of Chansey/Blissey rather quickly if they decide to attack. The trickiest trick to pull off - but probably most rewarding - is locking your opponent into a chain substitute (especially a Gengar)

Jirachi @ Razor Fang
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Brave Nature
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Zen Headbutt

I originally started with a baton pass Celebi, but I wasn't getting enough time to really set up and throw it to my Gengar (at the time) or Togakiss. From what I've faced, this guy can either act as a very annoying flincher against more unique teams, or act as a sacrificial switch/wish against the more standard teams out there. Because Togekiss is choice scarfed, Jirachi has been a pretty amazing addition because - not only can he take a hit or two - but it allows me to be more conservative with Togekiss (and if Jirachi can get a paraflinch chain, more power to him!)

Magikarp (Ditto) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Transform
- Transform
- Transform
- Transform

This guy....he's a beast that I don't see near enough of - especially paired up with Wobbuffet. He has saved my team so many times because quite a few people tend to forget to make their teams able to counter their own team (at least as at the point in the ladder I've gone through). The best use of him, however, is if one of your pokemon can get rid of any subs or lock your opponent in a buff cycle with Wobbuffet, he can easily wreck an entire team. He is the staple of every team I have made, allowing another type of sweeper other than Alakazam or Diggersby.

Whywontyourflinch (Togekiss) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Roost
- ExtremeSpeed
- Body Slam

Instead of a bulky paraflinch Togekiss, I decided to go with a choice scarf to ensure that I am quicker than a great deal of pokemon that I go against, and surprisingly, this works VERY well. Hence the name, the only real problem I have is that he doesn't like to flinch (or even hit) pokemon who actually pose a big threat. However, he tends to do his job quite often when needed, so quite a few sweepers and even walls are kept in check. Depending on his luck, he can kill upwards to 3 pokemon by his lonesome.

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam

This guy is just a glass cannon who can possibly beat the most pokemon types out of the rest of my team combined (except ditto in some cases). Sometimes he wrecks upwards to three pokemon, and other times, he just drops dead first turn. Even with his terrible survivability, he provides a wide array of move types that at least weaken some more powerful opponents.This was a hard replacement for the typical offensive Gengar because Gengar had sludgebomb and levitation. However, he was constantly being out sped by quite a few things, so this guy stopped most of that.

Welcome Back! =) Here's a few suggestions:
  • On Alakazam-Mega, you should probably add 4 HP EV's to Alakazam, just to use the remaining amount and boost bulk by a small amount. Also, you might want to look into switching Energy Ball or Focus Blast with either Focus Blast or HP Fire. Focus Blast can help hit steel types hard that Alakazam can't really hit otherwise, and the much more accurate HP Fire can hit Steel and Bug types at the cost of base power.
  • On Diggersby, invest 4 HP EV's as well for the same reason.
  • Since you're using Choice Scarf on Togekiss, it doesn't really make sense to have Roost on there. If you want to go with Choice Scarf, then substitute Roost with Tri Attack. That 40% chance to status is quite helpful, and scarfed Roost probably won't help you that much.
  • I'm not sure if you want to have Ditto on an OU team, though. If it works, then keep it, but maybe look into a hazard setter like Ferrothorn or Skarmory.
Good luck on your team! ^-^

Great! Thank you for the suggestions...if it comes to it, ditto can be a hazard setter as well lol

This is my first non-sand team, so how is the synergy within this team?

Make sure you have an odd amount if HP on all your pokes so you take less damage from stealth rocks, life orb, sandstorm etc.

Should I replace Jirachi or Togekiss then? And would it be a good idea to replace it with a Ferrothorn/idk what else then?
Hmm, try switching Jirachi with Ferrothorn. Togekiss is pretty great this meta compared to Jirachi, and Ferro can help you set up hazards. Try a set like this:
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
IVs: 0 Speed
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip/Spikes
- Gyro Ball/Spikes
Utility Ferrothorn is always great to use. I slashed Rocky Helmet in case you want to punish physical attackers, but Leftovers is preferred to stack with Leech Seed. 0 IVs in speed is important to make Ferro as slow as possible, making Gyro Ball hit a lot harder (You don't need it if you're going for spikes instead of gyro ball). Stealth Rock and Leech Seed are self explanatory, and you can go with any combination of Power Whip, Gyro Ball, and Spikes. Power Whip and Gyro Ball are great STABs, and Spikes are a great hazard.
Good luck! =)

The first post is wrong, 4 extra HP EVs makes you take more residual damage, so you should put the extra 4 EVs into either Defense or Special Defense.
Also, you have a sash diggersby, and a togekiss, and no way of removing hazards. You also have no way of putting up your own hazards. Also, paraflinching in general is a bad strategy because relying on hax makes you a bad player, and it's too inconsistent so it won't get you up high on the ladder.
So to fix these problems, I would first suggest replacing Jirachi with Skarmory. Skarmory does a better job of walling physical attackers, and can also set up rocks. I would also recommend taking out Togekiss for Latias. Latias can take care of your hazards problem, and is also decently bulky and gives your team a good special wall, and a good switch in to Keldeo, a top-tier threat. Your Alakazam set is sort of weird. I would recommend Psychic over Psyshock, because when you trace Sheer Force, Psychic becomes insanely strong. Psyshock doesn't help break through chansey either since it doesn't do a lot of damage, so Psychic is better. I would also replace Signal Beam with Focus Blast, as Focus Blast hits dark types way harder, and nails Tyranitar which threatens to pursuit trap you. Also, modest nature is better than timid nature because timid does not really outspeed anything important in OU, and modest gives you more power. That's about all I have to say about this team, good luck :)

Summary of changes
Add 4 extra EVs to def/Sdef
Togekiss ---> Latias
Jirachi ---> Skarmory
On Alakazam, Signal Beam ---> Focus Blast
Psyshock ---> Psychic
Timid Nature ---> Modest Nature

Sets:

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Taunt/Whirlwind
- Stealth Rocks
- Brave Bird/Counter

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock/Hidden Power Fire/Hidden Power Fighting
- Recover/Healing Wish

72 HP avoids the 2HKO from Thundurus's HP Ice, and hits LO number, rest dumped in speed and special attack.

Alakazam @ Alakazite
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Thank you so much for your input everyone! Now I remember why I played this so much when I did back in the day :)

I have yet to really take advantage of Latias, but here's my new team (I've gone 5-0 so far)!

Diggersby @ Focus Sash
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

Magikarp (Wobbuffet) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 27 HP / 229 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Encore
- Counter
- Mirror Coat

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover

Magikarp (Ditto) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 251 HP / 5 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Transform
- Transform
- Transform
- Transform

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Counter

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

*Note Alakazam cannot outspeed quite a few things before it goes mega...I've been learning that the hard way

And Bisharp is awful to face :(

Last edited:
You can always run sub over energy ball if you are afraid of bisharp, but Modest is still definitely better than Timid because most of the time Alakazam will be coming on on something it forces out, like Breloom, and then Breloom will switch out giving Alakazam a chance to mevo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)