Special Season 7, aka NO KANGA META

I'm struggling to find an answer to M-Salamence, and starting to consider weird stuff like Regice. Holding Lefties a Bold set can tank an Aerilate Return, Protect for lefties and retaliate with Ice Beam for a OHKO even with no SpA investment. If Salamence is +1 this is a no go though. That same bold set easily switch and tank any special move Salamence can throw and still gets the OHKO.

Valzy

Destroyer of Worlds
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm struggling to find an answer to M-Salamence, and starting to consider weird stuff like Regice. Holding Lefties a Bold set can tank an Aerilate Return, Protect for lefties and retaliate with Ice Beam for a OHKO even with no SpA investment. If Salamence is +1 this is a no go though. That same bold set easily switch and tank any special move Salamence can throw and still gets the OHKO.
Scarfed Salamence, Latios, and Latias can kill with Draco Meteor. LO or Mega Alakazam can OHKO with HP Ice. Mega Altaria and Mega Swampert can tank a hit and kill Mega Salamence in return.

Something else to consider is the fact that Sableye is the lone natural Prankster in this meta. The only other is Mega Banette, and I doubt many people will give up their mega slot for Prankster support they have to sacrifice a turn for.

With this in mind, I'm in the process of crafting a rain team featuring Mega Swampert and utilizing Sableye as the rain setter. Beyond usual suspects Ludicolo and Manectric, what would you guys think to be viable in this meta?

Something else to consider is the fact that Sableye is the lone natural Prankster in this meta. The only other is Mega Banette, and I doubt many people will give up their mega slot for Prankster support they have to sacrifice a turn for.

With this in mind, I'm in the process of crafting a rain team featuring Mega Swampert and utilizing Sableye as the rain setter. Beyond usual suspects Ludicolo and Manectric, what would you guys think to be viable in this meta?
The Hoenn Dex is pretty limited, I'd look into options like Magnezone and Crobat to support your core 3's weaknesses and maybe glue it together with a decent fighting type as they tend to get good mileage and coverage. Kingdra is another excellent option if you're running rain, and Armaldo could put in some good work on a rain team.

Looking through Glalie's abilities, I have found that it in its base form has the unmitigated terror known as Moody. Be afraid. Be very, very afraid. Smogon may ban it, but Nintendo doesn't.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Looking through Glalie's abilities, I have found that it in its base form has the unmitigated terror known as Moody. Be afraid. Be very, very afraid. Smogon may ban it, but Nintendo doesn't.
That's true, but I'm not sure if people will want to stick around with regular Glalie for long. Maybe it's getting one boost on a Protect turn, but I don't see it being too problematic. The boosts are really luck based too.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Moody is really only a problem in singles where you can protect + substitute while also holding leftovers to accumulate boosts. It also boosts evasion which contributed to it being banned from smogon tiers. In doubles (and only being wielded by Glalie) where you can be double targeted I don't think it will be much of an issue...

Mever
Moody is really only a problem in singles where you can protect + substitute while also holding leftovers to accumulate boosts. It also boosts evasion which contributed to it being banned from smogon tiers. In doubles (and only being wielded by Glalie) where you can be double targeted I don't think it will be much of an issue...
Never tried it but does mat block allow protect afterwards?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Never tried it but does mat block allow protect afterwards?
I'm not sure. I'd assume it would but it doesn't matter because this is Hoenn only, no Greninja allowed...

edit: and Smeargle is a poor user of Mat Block (if only it had priority) so don't even think about using it. Besides, with only two guaranteed turns of Moody you may just end up with -2 speed, attack or accuracy and get like +4 special attack or boosts in defence. It's too much of a gamble trying to get attack and speed boosts with Moody in just one or two turns (I'm assuming a Mega Glalie set here, if you want to go dedicated non-mega Moody booster then be my guest but it will probably die quickly...)

Last edited:
Does anyone think that belly drum Azumarill will be good in this? Also, tail wind looks really strong with some decent setters and some good abusers.

Does anyone think that belly drum Azumarill will be good in this? Also, tail wind looks really strong with some decent setters and some good abusers.
Considering BD azu has always been pretty good in doubles I can't imagine why it wouldn't do well here as well.

Considering BD azu has always been pretty good in doubles I can't imagine why it wouldn't do well here as well.
Agreed, I've been running a BD azumarill set that includes helping hand, belly drum, aqua jet, and play rough. Small coverage but works well with my teammates, and I've been getting off belly drums with hariyamas wide guard support due to people instinctively spamming mega mence hyper voice.

Edit: in case you're wondering, I've been using Zogs EV spread from this year's earlier vgc season @ 212hp/252atk/4def/36spdef/4spe

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)