Doubles CAP Project thread! Stage 8: Stat Limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Code:
VOTING RESULTS

1. grass/ground
2. water/poison
3. grass/ghost
4. poison/flying

VOTING ROUNDS
----------------------------------------------
Array ( [grass/ghost] => 2 [poison/flying] => 2 [water/poison] => 5 [grass/ground] => 14)
Array ( [water/poison] => 7 [grass/ground] => 16)
Array ( [poison/flying] => 3 [grass/ghost] => 9 [water/poison] => 10)
Array ( [grass/ghost] => 10 [water/poison] => 11)
Array ( [poison/flying] => 3 [grass/ghost] => 16)
Since Grass / Ground got a majority on the first ballot overall, there is no need to have a second round of voting. It will be the CAP's typing.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
oops forgot to reopen this

Next stage of the CAP Process is primary ability discussion! This is the part where we choose the CAP's strongest competitive ability. Not much to say here, so get posting!

The CAP so far:
Concept:
champetero said:
Name: The forgotten sand.

General Description: A pokemon that can help make sand teams more viable in a doubles XY metagame.

Explanation: When gen 6 came, weather suffered a huge blow with the new weather mechanics, while sun and rain are still relevant, sand on the other hand became rather unreleant. Tyranitar got worse this generation because of the rise of new pokemon like bisharp and landorus-T and the drop of usage of pokemon like Cresselia. Excadrill also suffered with landorus-T becoming the best pokemon.

Now the overall goal of this concept is to create a pokemon that can help sand overcome the issues it has for example being able to handle better rain,rotom-W,etc. While it's impossible to have one single pokemon check all of sand's issues but it will at least help sand become relevant in a doubles XY metagame.
Type: Grass / Ground

Inb4 everyone else.

Sand rush; it needs to be able to abuse the sandstorm somehow. This also allows us to allot less points into speed, it will be hopefully always doubled, and more into attack so it can hit hard.

Fangame10

DOU Master of Snow-based Trick Room teams
is a Tiering Contributor
Inb4 everyone else.

Sand rush; it needs to be able to abuse the sandstorm somehow. This also allows us to allot less points into speed, it will be hopefully always doubled, and more into attack so it can hit hard.
Agree 100% that Sand Rush is necessary. It has the ability to make this pokemon faster than strong fire, water and flying types that may pose a threat to this pokemon or tyranitar. And it just works in sand storm... If anything this is a REQUIREMENT.

Last edited:

Fangame10

DOU Master of Snow-based Trick Room teams
is a Tiering Contributor
OK though despite my agreeing posts I'm going to break the rules and suggest a Non-Sandstorm ability because I believe that it's typing is good enough for a Sandstorm team and it's getting 2 abilities anyways.

I propose the ability Intimidate, although this makes it a Landorus with a grass typing, This pokemon is designed to switch in a lot of Threats that may endanger Tyranitar or simply be at its side, what better way to do it then with the classic ability itself.
With Intimidate Physical hitter such as Landorus, fighting types, Steel types like mawile and scizor and Mega Kangaskhan (with the exception of Bisharp)
One scenario could be switching this pokemon in on a Landorus and considering how weak Landorus is to this pokemon our CAP pokemon could make a prediction or set up on landorus or ko its partner.
Intimidate would come at the price of having to deal with Bisharp unfortunately, but its Ground typing can take care of it IF NOT for their common use of Focus Sash.
Most of the heavy hitters of the current meta are physical so an ability like this will surely help out with this pokemon's assistance to Sand teams

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
So this is the part of the CAP where I think we can really make something cool, as you are probably aware the new Primal evolutions for Kyogre and Groudon have the abilities Primordial Sea and Desolate Land respectively. Here is the effect of Primordial Sea (taken from Bulbapedia)

When a Pokémon with Primordial Sea enters battle, the Ability creates heavy rain, a unique variation of rain. The heavy rain lasts as long as the Pokémon with Primordial Sea is in battle.
Along with the usual effects of rain, heavy rain causes Fire-type moves and Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Hail and Sandstorm to fail. It also causes the Abilities Drought, Drizzle, Sand Stream and Snow Warning to fail to activate.

I propose we modify this ability to make it work for sand, call it something like Sand Lock and..

When a Pokémon with Sand Lock enters battle, the Ability creates Heavy Sandstorm, a unique variation of Sandstorm. The Sandstorm lasts as long as the Pokémon with Sand Lock is in battle.
Along with the usual effects of Sandstorm, Heavy Sandstorm causes Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Hail and Sandstorm to fail. It also causes the Abilities Drought, Drizzle, Sandstorm, and Snow Warning to fail to activate.

I've taken out the bit about a certain type of attack failing while under the effects of the new weather. Idk if we're allowed to create new abilities but I would like to!
No custom moves/abilities though

Anyway Soundproof seems really cool. Tyranitar has huge issues against MGarde and Sylveon, and Excadrill can't really switch in on them repeatedly. Since most of the reasoning behind the typing seemed to be defensive, another couple threats to beat doesn't hurt.

Also fuck Perish Trap.

I'm going to agree with Sand Rush on this one. As far as Sand-related abilities go, the options are a bit limited, and I think that Sand Rush lets the CAP pose the largest offensive threat to compliment its good offensive/defensive typing. Some other non sand abilities mentioned could have some merit as a secondary/hidden abilities, but Sand Rush utilizes its typing and the weather to the fullest, and should therefore be the primary ability.

Not sure if Arcticblast is serious about soundproof, or I can't tell a joke.

Though sound proof would stop things like hyper voice, it wouldn't stop moon blast or other pixelated moves. And it isn't that hard to switch one of those moves up to mess up that strategy.

Anyway, intimidate can be used by a number of other mons on the team like Hitmontop or Scrafty, and doesn't really address the problem with mons like Keldeo and Politoed. It doesn't really seem to be what would benefit Ttar and Excadrill the most. Being able to move faster than the opponent and take out these threats is the best thing we can do for a mon with Grass/Ground typing.

My vote is for sand rush. Unless we want to go off the wall and give it something ridiculous like storm drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)