Project The Next Best Thing (New thread is newer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Montsegur
A little biased towards NP shiftry since I think its a pretty sweet set and I remember The Goomy using that set in the early days of NU as a lure for Vileplume.

Hollywood

I was using that set on Zoroark (with grass knot ofc) during its suspect test and it was pretty good. Although i don't get why it is Rash nature. Alomomola?

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alrighte i guess i could take a crack at this.

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Power Whip
- Knock Off / Rock Slide / Sleep Powder
- Earthquake / Knock Off

Swords Dance Tangrowth is meant to be used on bulky offensive teams as a breaker of sorts. The idea of this set is pretty simple tbh. You use Tangrowth's excellent physical bulk to get into the game, force switches, and set up a Swords Dance easily, and then try and do as much damage as possible from there. Even if Tangrowth fails to cleanly sweep because of its poor Speed, it'll still most likely inflict some serious damage on the opposing team, and it'll probably be able to get back into the game later thanks to Regenerator unless you let it die completely. Swords Dance and Power Whip are givens as the move Tangrowth uses to boost and its most powerful physical STAB move, respectively, but picking the other two moveslots isn't so simple. Knock Off is as always a great option for the damage and coverage it provides, not to mention its ability to remove the items of Pokemon that'd like to switch in on Tangrowth, whether its removing an Eviolite from Golbat, Leftovers from an Amoonguss, or Life Orb from a Moltres. Alternatively, Rock Slide can be used to nail Moltres, Fletchinder, and Mega Abomasnow on the switch, all 3 of which are pretty big threats that tend to switch into Tangrowth quite often. Hell, even Sleep Powder can be used in this moveslot to gain some more set up opportunities with Swords Dance. Earthquake is used in the last moveslot to hit Steel-types such as Cobalion, Registeel, and Doublade, but Knock Off can also be used here if you aren't using it in the third moveslot. The EVs maximize Tangrowth's Attack and give it enough Speed to smack Alomomola with a Power Whip before it can use either Wish or Toxic, while the rest are thrown into HP to increase Tangrowth's overall bulk.

This set might seem like it recieves a lot of competition from Swords Dance Virizion, but i'd argue it plays quite differently tbh given the obvious differences in stat spread, movepool, and Tangrowth's extra longevity. (For example, SD Virizion is hard countered by Doublade, but SD Tangrowth easily beats it as long as it has one of Knock Off or Earthquake)!

Likewise, it has more longevity (Regenerator, Grass STAB doesn't do recoil, no rocks weakness, better typing), more physical bulk, more speed, and the possibility of Sleep Powder over SD Mega Abomasnow

Anyways, this is the best i can think of right off the bat outside of some kind of Choice Set, which another user already said he was gonna post over irc.

Last edited:
Look here's that choice set.

Tangrowth @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide

EVs are to outspeed 0 Speed Lanturn (not just Alomomola, take that Molk), max Attack and Adamant for maximum hurt, and the rest dumped in HP for general bulk. The selected moves are just the best coverage in general, and also pretty much the only decent physical moves Tangrowth gets, unless you're real enough to run Rock Tomb. Here's a bunch of random calcs.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Power Whip vs. 104 HP / 248+ Def Alomomola: 450-530 (90.5 - 106.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Power Whip vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 126-148 (37.8 - 44.4%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock (Okay you have to go for knock off first)
252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Power Whip vs. 40 HP / 252 Def Lanturn: 590-696 (147.1 - 173.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aromatisse: 237-280 (58.3 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Power Whip vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 642-759 (148.2 - 175.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Git gud quad weakness)

252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 142-168 (45.5 - 53.8%) -- 91.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Registeel: 210-248 (57.6 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Amoonguss: 149-176 (34.4 - 40.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery (Okay iffy)
252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 160 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 240-284 (66.1 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Moltres: 488-576 (152 - 179.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tangrowth Rock Slide vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Mega Abomasnow: 216-256 (66.8 - 79.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

yo.

Tangrowth @ Life Orb | Regenerator
Naughty | 72 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 36 SpA / 144 Spe
Power Whip | Rock Slide | Hidden Power Fire | Earthquake / Sleep Powder / Leaf Storm

So Tangrowth is weird this gen, even more so than previously, but I've always found the defensive sets rather subpar, due to limited supportive capabilities making it little more than some vanilla wall. In contrast, its natural physical tankiness and solid offensive stats make it fairly useful for offensive, allowing it to use its bulk to edge out against other offensive Pokemon. Furthermore, its fairly expansive, high BP coverage allows it to deal quite a significant amount of damage to poorly-suited defensive cores. Power Whip is pretty wicked coming off it, 2HKOing most SpDef Normals and other such fat, non-resists that switch in anticipating a more specially-oriented set. Rock Slide I feel is mandatory for offering Tangrowth some means of catching Moltres on the switch, since it oftentimes will outright assure if it comes in safely vs.offense. HP Fire not only OHKOs max HP M-Aboma after SR, but 2HKOs Doublade and AV Escavalier after SR, the former of which I consider fairly significant, as switching into and pressuring Doublade is a major boon for Tangrowth on offense. The last slot is majorly based on necessity, but Earthquake is notable for its ability to 2HKO standard Registeel after SR (doing 50% min.), as well as 2HKOing Druddigon ~50% of the time after 1 round of SR damage as well. Sleep Powder offers general utility, whereas Leaf Storm offers a strong, specially-based STAB, useful for either pressuring physical walls once the set has been revealed, or baiting special walls when the set is yet unconfirmed, depending on how one chooses to play it. EV spread is fairly standard, outpacing Lanturn (which I realize is even less common now, but old habits die hard), perform as I stated offensively, and still have a few remaining EVs to toss towards bulk.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
>regenerator
>regenerator
>regenerator

WHERE THE FUCK IS INNOVATION???

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash / Modest Nature
- Sunny Day
- Growth
- Giga Drain / Solar Beam / Power Whip
- Earthquake / Hidden Power Fire

real tangrowth do not need regenerator, set up sunny day, a growth if you're lucky and start pounding dem bitches. goes really well with other chlorophyll sweepers, fire-type pokemons (sunnybeam moltres???) and so on.

Pearl. said:
WHERE THE FUCK IS INNOVATION???
am here

Tangrowth @ Leftovers / Grip Claw / Heat Rock
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 4 SpA / 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Sunny Day
- Infestation
- Grassy Terrain
- Giga Drain

Pearl. said:
real tangrowth do not need regenerator
Preach it.

Out-stall the stall with the latest in "innovative" Tangrowth!
  • Now with new, never before seen (or used) Leaf Guard/ Sunny Day combo to counteract Toxic and/or WoW!
  • Infestation! A move so niche it hurts! To ensure that those pesky walls don't go switching away!
  • GRASSY TERRAIN(!?) The latest in healing 1/16 a turn/ boosting Grass type moves by 50% technology! Perfect for healing yourself AND the opposition. (Not Cress tho)
  • Giga Drain, now with added aforementioned 50% more strongth.
srsly doe

With a Toxic Spike setter, or at least a Toxic setter; wall-y opposition lose the battle of stall. With Toxic being so integral to whittling down a wall's health, a pseudo-immunity to it and three (THAT's RIGHT, 3!!1!) forms of recovery (ish), lets TANKgrowth trap a wall and essentially starve it to death.

Of course, this thing is rather niche... But it takes on Wall Druddigon, Psyshock Wall Slowking, Alomomola the Wall and Aromatisse Wall. It prefers to avoid anything else, but still works as a solid wall against any incoming physical attackers. No Tangrowth likes Special Attacks, and this one particular hates Taunt.

Sunny Day acts as a Refresh of sorts, so being outsped and Toxic'd first is no biggie. From there, hope to infest before they flee and then sit back and leech them dry. Just like Pearl's, this set would help any Chlorophyll users you have, as well as the also mentioned Moltres.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)