XY OU Balanced RMT, Will Help in Return (maxed in 1500's)

Initial rules for when I was creating my team:
1. No legendaries
2. Should be easy to make on my ds (ie. no hidden power)
3. Prefer not more than 1 pseudo-legendary

The reasons for this is to make things feel more balanced when I battle with friends and we're just trying to have fun as opposed to creating the ultimate team.

Started out by picking my lead and a stealth rocks user. I chose talonflame since he is awesome, and followed up that choice with ferrothorn since they can cover each other's weaknesses pretty well. I often go straight from talonflame to ferrothorn when a talonflame threat appears.

Since a team looking to have minimal legendaries and pseudo-legendaries, I needed to think of a good counter towards the plethora of DD'ers in the game. That's where mamoswine comes in. After SR and an attack from someone else, a mamoswine ice shard can handle what's required. Someone that can handle a lot of mamoswine threats was what I wanted next, leading me to mega-charizard-y. I like charizard y over x for revenge killing since it's faster than most. Next, I wanted another priority move on someone who can swords dance or nasty plot. Who better for this than scizor who also forces a lot of other to switch out, allowing me to swords dance. Finally, I wanted a special wall on my team. Went simple with chansey because she's so basic.

Finally, here is my team.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Me First

The prototypical anti-lead. Brave bird serves as a priority move, which has pretty good coverage with flare blitz. Me first is mainly for rock attacks, on something like an aerodactyl. U-turn away in a hurry if there is a threat, most likely to either ferrothorn or chansey. Gale wings is the obvious choice for the brave bird priority, and the EVs are standard. Since talonflame is so fast, I can outspeed almost all non-scarfers. So I chose choice band for super strong attacks.

SpikedDrink (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

This set was stolen from the suggested. I debated going with rocky helmet over leftovers, but I like the idea of ferrothorn surviving longer so I can leech seed pokemon I'm having trouble killing in late game situations. Knock off over protect because I noticed how annoying it was to have people knock off all of my items.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- SolarBeam
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

This is what Marsellus Wallace from Pulp Fiction had in mind when he was talking about some "hard, pipe-hitting ni**as, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch." Such great coverage of attacks he can take out so many different types of pokemon. Timid is to help outspeed as much as possible. When I see someone about to use stealth rocks, I usually send him into the game and let him do work until he dies.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- X-Scissor
- Roost

Scizor is my revenge killer/late game sweeper. If he is out to revenge kill, I will usually switch out right after bullet punching someone to death. For late game sweeping situations, I put him in against someone who has no option but to switch out, swords dance on the switch, then run train. I considered superpower for more coverage, but I'll usually play it smart to only try and sweep with bullet punch and x-scissor only.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled

Heal bell was a must to help out scizor and charizard. Seismic toss is most consistent for attacking. Soft-boiled over wish... I can't explain why. I've debated going to wish so I could help put charizard in after stealth rocks were put out, but I feel like I would need protect also to make it more effective and I would rather have an attack and a status inducer. Speaking of status inducers, I chose thunder wave over toxic because I like the idea of slowing people down. Helps mamoswine and charizard a lot.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Naughty Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Freeze-Dry

My dragon killer. Freeze-dry is here to help with gyarados. I had trouble choosing between icicle crash and icicle spear. Life orb and 252 atk are a necessity to help deal as much damage as possible to those pesky dragons.

leremyju

Banned deucer.
Rip charizard y without defog or rapid spin.

However, that's an easy fix, run defog over x scissor on scizor. Here's a better set that works better as mega scizor but is still a late game cleaner. Note bullet punch is only necessary since late game you should have eliminated most threats

Scizor Life Orb/leftovers
Ability:Technician
EVs: 248 Hp/ 252 def/ 8atk
Impish nature
-defog
-bullet punch
-swords dance
-roost

That also gives you a better defensive wall to work with Chaney and ferrothorn in a defensive core. However, two quad weaknesses to fire is ehhhh

Thanks a lot Leremyju and Ohioisonfire. In response to everything in order:
1. I'll give the scizor set a try, I like it. Thanks. I do have Platinum, so I could figure out how to get it.
2. The two quad fire weaknesses haven't been an issue for me so far due to the fact that almost all fire attackers are special and chansey has been able to absorb them all. Plus, Ferrothorn does his work in the early game and scizor is saved for later. The fire threat that takes out ferrothorn is usually taken care of before scizor comes in.
3. I know this team is only 'eeh', the limitations of not wanting to use any legendaries makes it hard to compete in OU. But it's not doing terrible, so I'm not complaining. That's why I'm here looking for help. I don't know the intricacies of this generation yet, so any unique ideas to fill holes will be very helpful.
4. Charizard is an early game attacker for me. I switch him in on the turn I see the stealth rocks coming and he has always been able to get at least one or two kills every game to hold his own early on. I'd explore replacing him with someone else if anyone has any good ideas.
5. I don't like Excadrill on this team. He has many more weaknesses than Scizor, which is why I'm sticking with him.
6. Not going to use latios because of the not wanting to use legendaries thing.
7. Talonflame's HP EVs are now in defense, thanks.

Update: I replaced Talonflame with a Choice Specs Starmie and things have looked much better. Debating getting rid of mamoswine for someone else since I have ice beam. Definitely would like someone with a priority move if I did replace him.

Starmie @ Choice Specs
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Last edited:

leremyju

Banned deucer.
Keldeo kinda wrecks most of your team. Sword is effective against ferro but I think you can take a hit and try to ko with power whip, but unreliable. Scizor isn't weak to any keldeo moves but it can't hurt keldeo either. You also don't want a burn from keldeo scald.

But you out in starmie, which could also run rapid spin but ehhh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)