ORAS OU How about a nice cold glass of Gallade?

How about a nice cold glass of Gallade?​

So I've been fiddling around on the latter a bit and figured I'd post a RMT of my team that has done well for me based around Mega Gallade. As I said this team has served me well but it's always nice to get some input from more seasoned players (Been playing for years but I'm always learning new things) So let's get down to the team shall we?

I always wanted to use Gallade in OU and became pumped when his Mega Evovle was revealed. It became even better when his Speed was revealed to be 110 with an attack of 165!

The first thing I needed was a lead to drop Stealth Rock on the field and thought Clefable would be a nice choice threatning common leads. He also helps against Mega Sableye who otherwise is a massive threat to Gallade.

Tangrowth makes an excellent sponge for special attack and more importantly handles one of my big threats Mega Sceptile. It is also very antimeta to some of the top used Pokemon currently running around in ORAS.

I needed an answer to common birdspam and of course who better to use then Rotom-W? It makes an excellent pivot and works well with Tangrowth working down each other's threats.

The team was looking good but I needed to add a revenge killer. Gengar seemed like a good choice with it's fast speed and ability to come in one Ground, Fighting and Normal attacks. It's threat to Fairy types was icing on the cake,

Bisharp was my last addition and Psychic/Ghost trapper. Not only that but he makes the perfect partner to Gallade who is of course the MVP of my team so I'd be crazy not to use him

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

The team's lead and stealth rock setter as well as my answer to Mega Sableye leads. Clefable's job is to get off SR immediately or mam the opposing lead if they happen to be weak to Fire Blast/Moonblast. After setting up SR it's best to switch out to save for later threats weak to Fairy. Fire Blast was chosen to fry common steel leads like Ferrothorn and Skamory. Moonblast wrecks Mega Sableye who is major threat to the team. Soft-Boiled gives me needed recovery to combined with Leftovers to give him more longevity. The EV spread and nature allows Clefable to take several hits from common leads. Clefable has good synergy with Bisharp sponging Fighting attacks directed at him. Magic Guard also makes Clefable a good status sponge for the team.

Tangrowth (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Power Whip
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Ice

Serves as my Mega Sceptile check and works amazingly overall with the team. Tangrowth is able to handle many of the popular threats in this current meta and 2HKO back including Pokemon like Azumarill, Bisharp, Heatran, Rotom-W, Gengar, Landorus, Keldeo and Mega Sceptile. Power Whip is it's STAB wreaking many threats that are weak or neutral to it. Rock Slide replaced Knock Off so that I had a way to check Stallbreak Talonfalme if Rotom-W faints. Earthquake covers the ever present Heatran as well as othering Steel threats. Hidden Power Ice was put in the last slot to take out Mega Sceptile who is a major threat to my team otherwise. Assault Vest allows Tangrowth to take even super effective attacks and turn them into 3HKOs. Tangrowth has excellent synergy with Bisharp and Rotom-W resistanting Ground and Grass attacks,

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

My answer to common birdspam this washer is the glue to keeping my team allow from threats like Talonflame and Mega Pinsir. Hydro Pump is it's main STAB for neutral targets and Talonflame. Volt Switch allows it to keep moment and can punish bad switch ins like Keldeo or Skarmory. Will o Wisp cripples physical threats and wears down opponents that may try to wall it. Rest is used with Chesto Berry to bring it back from the brink fainting after being worn down by the opponent. The EV spread is the typical Rotom-W setup and I doubt I need to explain it. Rotom-W synergizes well with the whole team sponging a weaknes for almost every member.

Gengar (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Gengar is my revenge killer and spin blocker. Gengar has really thrived in this new meta being one of the few good Ghost types. Shadow Ball is it's main STAB doing heavy neutral damage and 2HKO Mega Sableye though only if it switches in. It also does a nice job of checking Mega Metagross. Sludge Wave is used to take out Fairy threats like Sylveon and Azumarill. Focus Blast hurts Steels like Bisharp, Heatran and Magnezone as well as doing heavy damage to Tyranitar. Trick let's me cripple walls like Chansey. Choice Scarf let's it outside most threats and speed tie with Choice Scarf Latios.

Bisharp (M) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Gallade's partner in crime and check to many threats. Bisharp and Gallade go together like peanut butter and jelly checking each others threats and resisting each other's weaknesses. Knock Off is it's main STAB crippling Pokemon of their held item and dishing out heavy damage. Sucker Punch patches up it's speed getting the drop on faster threats and priority users. Iron Head smacks annoying Fairies like Sylveon, Clefable and Togekiss. Pursuit allows me to trap threats like Starmie, Lati@s twins and Gengar. Black Glasses let's me hit hard with it's dark STAB without the recoil of Life Orb. Bisharp works well with Gallade as already mention as well as Gengar, Rotom-W, Clefable and Tangrowth resisting their weakness and breaking threats they can handle.

Mega Gallade (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified -> Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off

The star of the team and all around badass Mega Gallade! He is of course my sweeper utterly tearing through team after SD boost. His new 110 speed let's him out speed threats like Garchomp, Terrakion, Keldeo and Landorus. Swords Dance for obvious reasons pushing it's base 165 attack to monsterous levels allow him to break many threats. Close Combat is his Fighting STAB of choice breaking threats weak or neutral to the attack. Zen Headbutt was chosen to smack opponents like Keldeo and Mega Venusuar hard as well as hitting targets neutral to it that resist Close Combat and Knock Off. Knock Off is his final move providing good coverage with Close Combat and crippling users that depend on their held items like Evolite and Leftovers users. Gallade has nice synergy with Bisharp and Gengar as even if he can't sweep he can break and weaken the opponent's team letting the two clean up the remaining opponents. Justified was taken since his held item can't be removed he takes less damage from Knock Off being a great way to not only stop another team member from losing their item but also getting an attack boost in the process.

Huge threat as I never know which moves it's carrying. I'd dedicate more options towards stopping it but I just feel this thing will be booted to ubers soon

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Ice

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Gengar @ Life Orb
HP IV: 29
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Destiny Bond

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Gallade @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off

Well my team in a nutshell. Thanks for taking your time to read and maybe even trying out my team. Any feedback is appreciated and I hope you enjoyed this team as much as I did in which case why not give me a rate and a like.

Last edited:
Hey man :]] nice team using Goodra something we don't see often. I have a couple of recommendations.

A bold nature with no EV's in defense on Sylveon is questionable. I understand you want it to be a tank but with only one offensive move it probably wouldn't fit that role.
I recommend a spread of
  • 252 HP
  • 220 Def
  • 36 SpD
which helps you take psyshocks from lati@s and earth power from lando-i

on greninja drop HP fire for Hydro Pump bc it is its most powerful option, you already have Gallade and Goodra for Ferrothorn. Also try a 40 Atk Spread with hasty or naive that way it can OHKO Max hp Azu which looking at it can do a number on your team

Other than that solid looking team, gl fren :]

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Hey man :]] nice team using Goodra something we don't see often. I have a couple of recommendations.

A bold nature with no EV's in defense on Sylveon is questionable. I understand you want it to be a tank but with only one offensive move it probably wouldn't fit that role.
I recommend a spread of
  • 252 HP
  • 220 Def
  • 36 SpD
which helps you take psyshocks from lati@s and earth power from lando-i

on greninja drop HP fire for Hydro Pump bc it is its most powerful option, you already have Gallade and Goodra for Ferrothorn. Also try a 40 Atk Spread with hasty or naive that way it can OHKO Max hp Azu which looking at it can do a number on your team

Other than that solid looking team, gl fren :]

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Greninja @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
That was actually a typo as that was supposed to be Def not SpA. As for Greninja I found Hydro pump didn't hit anything important that Gunk Shot didn't already damage hard neutrally. Also as I explained I won't change it's nature for an attack boost which isn't all that significant with Azumarill itself rarely ever having max HP. Thanks for the reply though.

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Naive
Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- HP Fire

I would run this EV spread and Nature, because this is the point at which Greninja is guaranteed to OHKO AV Azumarill every time. That is one of the most common Greninja checks out there, and this spread takes it out cleanly.

That's all I really have, nice team!

I think I battled you :D I did sweep you with Salamence though... Hah sorry. Salamence is to common for you not to have anything for it dude. And you really do have nothing for it. With steal rocks up Sylveon is OHKO'd at +1, which is just horrible. And it can set up on your TTar, Excadrill, Gallade. That's half your team. Klefki over Sylveon maybe? Since with draing kiss it's a pretty good check to none Earthquake Salamence's.

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Naive
Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- HP Fire

I would run this EV spread and Nature, because this is the point at which Greninja is guaranteed to OHKO AV Azumarill every time. That is one of the most common Greninja checks out there, and this spread takes it out cleanly.

That's all I really have, nice team!
Yeah originally I would have stuck with Timid but people have become privy to Gunk Shot Greninja and adjusted their Azumarills for it. Made the changes thanks!

I think I battled you :D I did sweep you with Salamence though... Hah sorry. Salamence is to common for you not to have anything for it dude. And you really do have nothing for it. With steal rocks up Sylveon is OHKO'd at +1, which is just horrible. And it can set up on your TTar, Excadrill, Gallade. That's half your team. Klefki over Sylveon maybe? Since with draing kiss it's a pretty good check to none Earthquake Salamence's.
Maybe...not sure but MegaMence is so damn broken I'm not gonna bother with a check since ORAS release is coming soon and hopefully he'll get booted to Ubers quick. I've actually seen less of him lately anyways and I'm guessing people are starting to feel guilty using him to ladder lol.

Yo nice teama ut 1 thing: I would run Ice Punch over Knock of on Gallade so you can hit stuff like gliscor, and Landorus for super effective damage

Bumping for a major overhaul to the team. Look it over and bring on the rates as I am really proud of how this turned out.

Hey dude! This is a very nice team. I have on suggestion though. Tangrowth is not very useful in OU, so I reccomendation replacing it with Talonflame. You mentioned that your team is weak to Greninja. If you use Talonflame, then you can take out Greninja before it changes its typing. Also, he can take out bulky threats like Mega-Venusaur and Mega Sceptile.
That's it for now.
Hope it helps.

Hey dude! This is a very nice team. I have on suggestion though. Tangrowth is not very useful in OU, so I reccomendation replacing it with Talonflame. You mentioned that your team is weak to Greninja. If you use Talonflame, then you can take out Greninja before it changes its typing. Also, he can take out bulky threats like Mega-Venusaur and Mega Sceptile.
That's it for now.
Hope it helps.
It'd be more helpful it you mention which Talonflame set to use. As well I have no means of removing SR which Talonflame is very weak to. I can also assure you Tangrowth though not A tier has it's niche and has gotten this team very far.

Damn, that is a nice set you have indeed. Shame Talonflame wrecks it. Besides Rotom-W, it really does look like birdspam, or even Talonflame alone, can put in the finest. My solution on first thought isn't very good, but I'll share regardless. Run Heatran as your Rock setter in place of Gengar and turn Clef into a Calm Minding set. Although less potent than X/Y, Clef still puts in some mighty fine work punching holes and picking off loose ends, it would be a shame to waste that prowess to let her get hazards up, and Heatran is a superb birdspam blocker in his own right, you don't have to worry about a T-Flame sweep if Rotom goes down while he's still there. Also, do not replace Tangrowth, if you do then replace him with something like Celebi, but Tangrowth does deal with some problems rather well. Good luck, man!

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Thanks to you both for the rate and glad you guys see the value of Tangrowth. I will take some of these suggestions into consideration. My issue with Heatran is that removing Clefable for it leaves me open to Mega Sableye and removing Gengar for it removes my solid revenge killer. In truth I don't have major fears of Talonflame (I've fought it so much I can predict it pretty easy and off it with a well placed Sucker Punch) I do believe I may have a solution though. I could always replace a move on Tangrowth with Rock Slide.

0 Atk Tangrowth Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 288-340 (80.2 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tangrowth: 180-212 (44.5 - 52.4%) -- 20.7% chance to 2HKO

This would be able to handle Stallbreaker Talonflame as most players would just try to off it with Brave Bird.

That sounds like it could work, but you'd probably have a lot of problems with Chansey if you loose your Bisharp early on in the battle, or the likes. I'll mess around with the team tonight since I have a lot of free time haha
True but Gengar can always Trick Choice Scarf onto Chansey if needed.

That could be a good solution, it's always fun and pretty effective to bait something in and neuter it on the switch, that's why I value my HP Ice Heatran so much (gotta fuck up those Landos). However, if you're going to do that then I think it's more reliable to get the OHKO on it. The one problem is that would require pretty heavy EV investment (232 in Atk with Sassy nature) to guarantee that KO on the demonstrated Talonflame.

232 Atk Tangrowth Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 360-424 (100.2 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(360, 364, 368, 372, 376, 380, 384, 388, 392, 396, 400, 404, 408, 412, 416, 424)

And yeah, there is the issue of what move to remove. Knock Off is the most expendable, but it is a risk vs reward of whether crippling a T-Flame is worth being walled by Chansey or generally the great utility of Knock Off.

That could be a good solution, it's always fun and pretty effective to bait something in and neuter it on the switch, that's why I value my HP Ice Heatran so much (gotta fuck up those Landos). However, if you're going to do that then I think it's more reliable to get the OHKO on it. The one problem is that would require pretty heavy EV investment (232 in Atk with Sassy nature) to guarantee that KO on the demonstrated Talonflame.

232 Atk Tangrowth Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 360-424 (100.2 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(360, 364, 368, 372, 376, 380, 384, 388, 392, 396, 400, 404, 408, 412, 416, 424)

And yeah, there is the issue of what move to remove. Knock Off is the most expendable, but it is a risk vs reward of whether crippling a T-Flame is worth being walled by Chansey or generally the great utility of Knock Off.
This is true but then I lose a lot of bulk preventing me from checking/countering other threats as my 3HKOs become 2HKOs which is bad on something as slow as Tangrowth. A lot of hard decisions to make here lol.

Exactly my point. The investment isn't worth it. I guess from uninvested it does bring it down to a point where recoil from its next Brave Bird will take it out so you could just send in Rotom on that to sponge it, I guess. Either way, I'd really really advise against the offensive investment, I only brought it up because I like my safe OHKOs on the switch. Aside from that, getting a shit-load of damage on T-Flame vs the utility of Knock Off is your choice, I can't say for certain which is better.

Updated my team with some of the suggested changes. Adding Rock Slide has screwed over many Talonflame switching into expecting for him to switch out to Rotom-W as well as checking when Rotom-W is down. Also added Choice Scarf to Gengar letting me revenge kill better including Mega Sceptile.

How about a nice cold glass of Gallade?

So I've been fiddling around on the latter a bit and figured I'd post a RMT of my team that has done well for me based around Mega Gallade. As I said this team has served me well but it's always nice to get some input from more seasoned players (Been playing for years but I'm always learning new things) So let's get down to the team shall we?

Gengar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Gengar is my revenge killer and spin blocker. Gengar has really thrived in this new meta being one of the few good Ghost types. Shadow Ball is it's main STAB doing heavy neutral damage and 2HKO Mega Sableye though only if it switches in. It also does a nice job of checking Mega Metagross. Sludge Wave is used to take out Fairy threats like Sylveon and Azumarill. Focus Blast hurts Steels like Bisharp, Heatran and Magnezone as well as doing heavy damage to Tyranitar. Trick let's me cripple walls like Mega Slowbro, Mega Sableye and Chansey. Choice Scarf let's it outside most threats and speed tie with Choice Scarf Latios.

Well my team in a nutshell. Thanks for taking your time to read and maybe even trying out my team. Any feedback is appreciated and I hope you enjoyed this team as much as I did in which case why not give me a rate and a like.
Do you even basic game mechanics? Trick doesn't work on mega evolution stones

Awesome team 7 of 10 In my opinion Clefable would be better if you run

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 208 Def / 60 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic

Awesome team 7 of 10 In my opinion Clefable would be better if you run

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 208 Def / 60 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
This set is terrible and you should feel terrible for recommending it. Also removing Stealth Rock setter from my team...also terrible.

HP Ice Heatran is god.
I loved using it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)