Beartic [QC 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overview
########
  • good bulk, but a poor defensive typing
  • nice attack
  • unique with stab ice attacks as a rain sweeper, but recieves competition from poliwrath and floatzel on a rain team.
  • good physical move pool
  • has the special attack to go mixed but lacks the move pool for it

Rain Sweeper
########
name: Polar Bear of Death
move 1: Aqua Jet
move 2: Icicle Crash
move 3: Play Rough / Night Slash
move 4: Superpower / Sword Dance
ability: Swift Swim
item: Life Orb
evs: 60 HP / 252 Att / 196 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
  • Aqua Jet is nice for those fire and rock types that you otherwise struggle with. Also priority is good for those scarfers.
  • Icicle Crash over other STAB moves, because it lets you take advantage of the speed boost and 30 flinch > 10 freeze.
  • Play rough makes it so Poliwrath doesn't completely wall you.
  • Night slash however makes it easier to deal with Musharana and annoying ghost types.
  • The last move is a toss up. It comes down to whether you want a boosting move to make the sweep easier or high damage move to dent Avalugg and Barbacle/Carcossta.

Set Details
========
  • 196 Speed allows Beartic to out speed every mon except Electrode and Ninjask, while in the rain.
  • 60 in HP for extra bulk.
  • Life orb allows extra damage and makes it possible to wipe out most of the other team while rain is still up.
  • Swift Swim is for the speed boost in the rain.

Usage Tips
========
  • make sure hazards are off the field when he comes in or he will die very quickly
  • best as a late game sweeper once the physical walls are removed
  • try to make sure you can hit poliwrath with play rough on switch in, otherwise you risk it being swift swim and beating you out.
  • keep in mind when rain runs out, otherwise beartic can run into some sticky situations
  • try to remove priority users before switching in beartic otherwise it will be worn down from the damage and life orb recoil

Team Options
========
  • beartic absolutely needs a defog or rapids spin user to keep stealth rocks off the field.
  • Pokemon like murkrow and volbeat who can prankster rain dance are very much appreciated.
  • mons that can break down avalugg and other physical walls are helpful in setting up a sweep.
  • mons like raichu who appreciate no-miss thunders and have good speed can be very helpful in removing these walls.
  • mons like golduck and manitne can be very useful as special rain sweepers and can help remove the physical walls as well

Other Options
#######
  • band is a decent option if you dont want recoil
  • can also serve as a backup dancer if you really need one, but that comes at the cost of coverage
  • can run a sub sd or bulk up set with its bulk and rains natural weakening of its most common weakness, fire
  • possibly run a mixed set with moves such as surf, blizzard, and focus blast, not a horrible base Spa, but kinda wastes the massive att stat.

Checks and Counters
########
**Entry Hazards** Entry Hazards, most importantly Stealth Rocks, can significantly lower Beartics already limited durability or reduce the number of times it can switch in.
**Bulky Rock Types** If you aren't running super power they can slowly wittle you down or force you out, which usually gives them a turn to set hazards.
**Avalugg** The defense on this thing is ridiculous. The best move against it, Stone Edge thanks to Superpower's att drop, is only a possible 3hko.
**Fast Special Attackers** In the rain only two mons can out speed Beartic without a scarf, electrode can just continously volt switch and run it down over the course of the match.
**Scarf Users** Anything that out speeds beartic can make it very difficult to keep beartic going long enough to actually sweep.
**Priority Users** Same as with scarf they can make it so beartic runs out of HP significantly quicker.

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
You dont need to mention its base stats, they will be right above that
I wouldnt say swift swim is an amazing ability for Beartic, mention that it is outclassed by other swift swimmers like floatzel and Poliwrath

[Set]
Small thing but put a space in between slashes so for instance Play Rough / Night Slash

[Moves]
I think you ment to mention Aqua Jet on the first point but you never did

[Usage Tips]
This section is lacking, you have a good base with removing hazards and making sure physical walls are removed, but after that you dont tell me how to use Beartic, what moves should I use and when, should I predict the switch into anything important? What does it struggle with and what should I switch out against? Just some ideas to help you expand that section out.

[Team Options]
Mention some bulky rain setters next to the priority ones
Bastiodon takes a ton from Superpower im not sure why its mentioned here (also isnt it more of a special wall ?.?) makes some suggestions on pokemon that are good to wear down physical walls
I wouldnt say you need something to take Will-O-Wisp specifically remove this point
Give mention of other rain sweepers to use along side Beartic

[Other Options]
Remove AV its just bad on an Ice-type with no recovery
Band seems decent, but scarf does not I would say also remove scarf
Add in Rain Dance so it can set its own rain if need be
Look in the teambuilder for some more options, like look at moves and what not

[Checks & Counters]
This is formatted wrong, should be like this **Entry Hazards**: Entry hazards like Stealth Rock and Spikes take away large portions of Beartic's HP
Mention Faster Special attackers, as like you said even in rain its outsped by electrode and some others

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########
- Remove the last point, it doesn't tell us anything useful about Beartic and it also belongs in Other Options.
- You need to mention that even after Swift Swim is accounted for, it's not very fast.
- Emphasize its role on Rain teams as a late game cleaner, especially due to most of its moves not benefiting from the Rain.

Rain Sweeper
########
- I would rename it "Swift Swim Sweeper" but regardless you need to change your set name to match.
- Move Order should be: Icicle Crash, Play Rough, Superpower, Swords Dance / Aqua Jet. I actually am not a fan of Aqua Jet, it's pretty weak and your Speed is boosted in the Rain regardless (and yet in the Rain is where it at least has mild power, oh the irony).
- I'm thinking bump the speed to 216 EVs, to outspeed min speed Garbodor and Adamant Golem and Marowak. In fact, use the EV spread from last gen NU.

Moves
========
- Order this the way it is on the set. Night Slash should be removed, Icicle Crash does about the same to Psychic and Ghost-types.

Set Details
========
- Adjust to to set changes

Usage Tips
========
- The stuff here is either obvious for any sweeper, or far too specific. I think the first, second, and last points can even be merged into:
  • make sure hazards are off the field when Beartic comes in or it will be worn down very quickly between them and Life Orb recoil
  • best as a late game sweeper once the physical walls and priority users are removed
- Honestly, early-mid game Beartic should be used as a hit and run attacker regardless, so the point about Poliwrath is moot as you shouldn't stay in.

Team Options
========
- Don't exaggerate, Beartic doesn't NEED hazard removal to work, especially considering that you should only use it on a Rain team. You cannot afford the momentum drain from Rapid Spinners and defensive Defoger, so think of better options.
- Ok, mons that break physical walls, such as?
- mons like Raichu? please explain better, because you could be saying use Thunder users like Lickitung or Electric-types like Pachirisu for all I'm seeing. Basically, say what you mean

Other Options
#######
- SubBU should get its own mention, and be mentioned first in fact. It's not a bad set, it just has trouble setting up for the most part.

Checks and Counters
########
- Avalugg should be first, then entry hazards, then status, then Scarf users (be sure they actually outspeed though), then Rock-types (as a check), then priority, then finally special attackers. You also need to explain why they check or counter Beartic more in depth.

The competition with sneasel should definitely mentioned in overview as there is little reason to use beartic over it.

Also I think Low Kick>Superpower so change them if it doesnt miss any ko

I'm not QC, just a few thoughts of mine. I think this could be useful adding in, though you don't have to, of course.

Overview:

- I think you should just remove the part about the Special Attack, Beartic is terrible on the special side.
- Mention that Swift Swim is good as it helps to patch up its underaverage Speed (50 base, this could probably be mentioned along with point 3 in one sentence)
- Mention it has good coverage
- You should add in what galbia said :p

Set:
- Slash in Icicle Crash first

Moves:
- I think you should reword the first part, to something like:
  • Aqua Jet is good for hitting Fire-types and Rock-types where Beartic usually struggles with. Along with that, priority is quite useful to outspeed Choice Scarfed Pokemon.
- I also think you should reword the 2nd and 3rd part. Not gonna do that.
- Remove Musharna for examples that Night Slash hits, add in examples for Ghost-types and other Psychic-types (Haunter, Metang, etc.)

Set Details:
  • 196 Speed allows Beartic to out speed every mon except Electrode and Ninjask, while in the rain.
- Mention after every unboosted. Scarf Tauros will still be able to outspeed, for example.
- Though I just think the spread should be 70 HP / 252 Atk / 186 Speed because 186 Speed already allows you to outspeed Zebstrika when rain is up, seeing Zebstrika is the third fastest mon in the tier.

Usage Tips:
  • best as a late game sweeper once the physical walls are removed
- I think you should mention why it is the best once physical walls are removed (allows it to clean up when rain's up)

Team Options:
- Sticky Web support is also useful for when the rain runs out, it still allows Beartic to outrun base uninvested 80s.
- Thunder Wave is for the exact same reason quite useful (just merge these first two points together in one sentence)

• mons like raichu who appreciate no-miss thunders and have good speed can be very helpful in removing these walls.
  • mons like golduck and manitne can be very useful as special rain sweepers and can help remove the physical walls as well
- You should mention that these are useful when rain is up, as they can have some trouble removing them without rain (Golduck's STAB will have less power, Raichu either has to rely on accuracy or has to pick a lower BP move)
- Mention cleric to help with burns.

Other Options:
- Mention why the sets/moves in point 1&3 aren't worth it.
- Mention Hone Claws to ensure Icicle Crash hits.
- Mention Encore to trap setup and for helping to setup on the forced switch.
- Mention Rock Slide to beat up Fire-types.

C&C:
- Mention examples of Pokemon for all sections.
- Mention burn, just completely screws over Beartic.
- Mention Poliwrath, as Play Rough only 3HKOes it and can phaze it out with Circle Throw as well as doing a hefty chunk of damage (It can just recover with Rest and continue with Sleep Talk). It can also use Scald to burn Beartic.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Randa Are you still planning on working on this? You have 48 hours to implement mine and galbia's checks as well as whatever you wish from soulblaster's check, or I will have to reassign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)