Pokémon Magnezone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think anyone trying to "fake" having magnet pull is fooling themselves. It's beyond obvious if your steel type is trapped (scizor won't u-turn, he'll just switch).

Is assault vest really better than leftovers? Which special attackers are you tanking hits from? The only ones I see are greninja without HP fire. Most other top special attackers eat zone for lunch, right? (serious question, not trying to be snarky)

I think anyone trying to "fake" having magnet pull is fooling themselves. It's beyond obvious if your steel type is trapped (scizor won't u-turn, he'll just switch).

Is assault vest really better than leftovers? Which special attackers are you tanking hits from? The only ones I see are greninja without HP fire. Most other top special attackers eat zone for lunch, right? (serious question, not trying to be snarky)
There are actually quite a few strong special attacks Zone can take vested that it can't otherwise.
252 SpA Life Orb Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 255-302 (74.1 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 159-190 (46.2 - 55.2%) -- 68.4% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 250-294 (72.6 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 270-320 (78.4 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 207-245 (60.1 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 242-286 (70.3 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Heatran Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 236-278 (68.6 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Not that you'll switch into any of these, but if the opponent tries to revenge Zone with one of these, you tank their attack. Sash Zam wins, however, if Fail Blast hits twice (read: almost never).

And you're right about Magnet Pull. I should have been more clear. I meant that most Zones are HP Fire / Ground Magnet Pull with Specs to trap Steels, and it's normally a fairly obvious switch on both sides. So Zone can scare non - Shed Shell Skarms off the field without even switching in. It's just his presence on your team that makes your opponent be careful about switching their Steels in.

I am sorry if this has been mentioned, I haven't read the thread, but is a LO Magnezone good? I lost because I was locked into HP fire against a Mandibuzz, and I really couldn't have gone for Vswitch (Last poke) or Tbolt, considering there was a Zygarde waiting >_<

252+ SpA Life Orb Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Mega Scizor: 343-406 (100 - 118.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Ferrothorn: 265-317 (75.2 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 328-390 (93.1 - 110.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
Ferrothorn can't really do anything to you anyways, unless its holding a Shed shell, which I don't even know is a thing.

As for ol' skarmory
252+ SpA Life Orb Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 562-663 (168.2 - 198.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Skarmory: 416-491 (124.5 - 147%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mandibuzz: 346-408 (81.6 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

If a Lando comes in to take a Tbolt, Flash cannon hits for a decent amount on the switch.
252+ SpA Life Orb Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 226-266 (59.1 - 69.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Found out when I had Zone against Azumarill, and predicted a Tbolt lol.

I think Magnezone is a good trapper. Magnezone can trapp steel pokemons and kill them for all the battle. Also Magnezone can use volt switch if is necessary, and it can be not only a trapper, it's a good especial sweeper. Its type combination has 11 resistances and 1 inmunity.

I think Magnezone is a good trapper. Magnezone can trapp steel pokemons and kill them for all the battle. Also Magnezone can use volt switch if is necessary, and it can be not only a trapper, it's a good especial sweeper. Its type combination has 11 resistances and 1 inmunity.
I agree that it has resistances, but it is 4x weak to ground and fire and fighting type attacks are also very common in OU. I haven't really used him in OU since I didn't think he had a niche there, but all round is he viable in OU?
And also choice specs might be a good idea for more power but if it is locked into an electric type move, wouldn't it be set up fodder for pokemon like landorus and kyurem-B?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I agree that it has resistances, but it is 4x weak to ground and fire and fighting type attacks are also very common in OU. I haven't really used him in OU since I didn't think he had a niche there, but all round is he viable in OU?
And also choice specs might be a good idea for more power but if it is locked into an electric type move, wouldn't it be set up fodder for pokemon like landorus and kyurem-B?
Yes, it's definitely viable in OU, for its ability to destroy Skarmory, Scizor, and Ferrothorn no matter the set, while also being able to check BirdSpam if using a scarf and Excadrill if using the Magnet Rise + Air Balloon Combo. Its three weaknesses are terrible, however, they don't hold it from having a niche in trapping steels. Btw if you just want a fast check to see how viable something is, you could always check out the viability thread, in which Magnezone is currently B+ and probably should move up to A-.

Yes, it's definitely viable in OU, for its ability to destroy Skarmory, Scizor, and Ferrothorn no matter the set, while also being able to check BirdSpam if using a scarf and Excadrill if using the Magnet Rise + Air Balloon Combo. Its three weaknesses are terrible, however, they don't hold it from having a niche in trapping steels. Btw if you just want a fast check to see how viable something is, you could always check out the viability thread, in which Magnezone is currently B+ and probably should move up to A-.
I do agree that it is a great answer to many of the steel types but most of the time, if predicted correctly, scizor can u-turn away and switch to a pokemon with e-quake. But I really agree that it is a counter to skarmory and ferrothorn. But without running choice specs, hidden power just doesn't have enough power especially because of the nerf this gen.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I do agree that it is a great answer to many of the steel types but most of the time, if predicted correctly, scizor can u-turn away and switch to a pokemon with e-quake. But I really agree that it is a counter to skarmory and ferrothorn. But without running choice specs, hidden power just doesn't have enough power especially because of the nerf this gen.
Scarf Hidden Power Fire 2hkos specially defensive Ferro, which is fine considering Ferro can't do anything to it. It also 2hkos Scizor, which is fine since scizor very rarely runs superpower. Also, Scizor doesn't use u-turn that often this gen, so switching in on a u-turn isn't that likely, nor is it that painful, since a) magnezone is really bulky, and b) Magnezone can just switch out of the EQ user. In your situation, Magnezone hasn't chosen a move yet. So, it can pick off an eq user with Flash Cannon (provided it isn't scarfed) or just Volt Switch out, if it isn't a ground type. Magnezone resists SR and resists a bunch of common moves like Stone Edge, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Draco Meteor, etc., so switching and pivoting around isn't hard for it.

Also magnezone isn't meant to one shot everything, it's meant to trap stuff once they're vulnerable. Don't bring it in early v. Scizor, since scarf variants aren't doing 100% damage to it. Instead, wait for scizor to get weakened, and then either on a predicted BP or SD, bring zone into trap it. Most Pokemon are capable of switching out when something threatens them, but Zor + Ferro can't at all, which gives Zone a huge niche. Venusaur is immensely threatened by Pinsir, and so it switches out as soon as pinsir comes in. Ferro + Zor don't have this luxury of being able to switch, and this is what gives Zone a niche.

Scarf Hidden Power Fire 2hkos specially defensive Ferro, which is fine considering Ferro can't do anything to it. It also 2hkos Scizor, which is fine since scizor very rarely runs superpower. Also, Scizor doesn't use u-turn that often this gen, so switching in on a u-turn isn't that likely, nor is it that painful, since a) magnezone is really bulky, and b) Magnezone can just switch out of the EQ user. In your situation, Magnezone hasn't chosen a move yet. So, it can pick off an eq user with Flash Cannon (provided it isn't scarfed) or just Volt Switch out, if it isn't a ground type. Magnezone resists SR and resists a bunch of common moves like Stone Edge, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Draco Meteor, etc., so switching and pivoting around isn't hard for it.
Yeah I agree that scizor doesn't run u-turn that much this gen but if a zone runs choice scarf then I don't think it can be bulky at same time. I've seen some replays with zone and it gets easily killed if it is hit by attacks such as shadow ball and knock off since it lost it's ghost and dark resistance this gen. And also, specially defensive heatran is a nightmare for zone since it is nearly walled by it. T-bolt will do nearly no damage to it(35% or something max) Damage calc: 252+ SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Heatran: 115-136 (29.8 - 35.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
So it really needs e-quake support to take it down. Other wise I agree it is good to take out the rest of the steel types in OU: 252+ SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 288-340 (102.4 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO and 252+ SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Scizor: 308-364 (89.7 - 106.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
Though it does lack a bit of damage with scarf, I'm sure it's pretty good with specs:252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Mega Scizor: 392-464 (114.2 - 135.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO and 252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 164 SpD Scizor: 428-508 (124.7 - 148.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO.
All round it is good with specs and scarf doesn't really OHKO scizor-M but just like you said, only a low amount of scizors run superpower so 2HKO is alright.

I've been running a sub mag for a little while now and I must say it does wonders!

Magnezone @ Life Orb
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Flash Cannon

Bring him in on ferrothorn, setup a sub, then HP fire as well as forcing something else to get hit while hiding behind sub. I may be tricky to pull off though since scizor has u-turn and skarm has whirlwind.

Magnet pull is overrated. Generally I see where it can be effective but other than that analytic with focus sash or life orb seems to work really well. I also use it with a light clay/light screen combo when switching from a 4x weakness ice pokemon on a water type. Quite a versatile pokemon and underrated in OU in my opinion.

Magnet pull is overrated. Generally I see where it can be effective but other than that analytic with focus sash or life orb seems to work really well. I also use it with a light clay/light screen combo when switching from a 4x weakness ice pokemon on a water type. Quite a versatile pokemon and underrated in OU in my opinion.
The main reason people focus on Magnet Pull is because it's the main thing that gives Magnezone a niche in OU. For a powerful Focus Sash abuser, you could use SD Diggersby or Garchomp; for Dual Screens, you could use the Latis or Cresselia, who also have Memento/Healing Wish for further sweeping support.

The one job that nothing can do as well as Magnezone is eliminating Steel Types; given how common the typing is amongst both defensive and offensive threats like Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Skarmory (who's giving up leftovers just to avoid trapping with Shed Shell), Magnet Pull is an invaluable asset to teams that need Steel types eliminated for a sweep, such as Bird Spam (Mega Pinsir is running Knock Off more often, and the others wear themselves out fast hitting Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs), Balanced or Stall Teams needing Bisharp gone to Defog hazards, Offensive teams that need Jirachi broken for an otherwise effective Wallbreaker like Gardevoir, etc.

It's not that Magnezone can't do other jobs, it's just that his OU viability, while great, stems specifically from the trapping niche. There's almost always a better option if you're not using him for the role of Steel Destroyer.

Not to mention at the click of a button you can find out if it's magnet pull or not risk free. I really don't think anatylic is a great ability on mag tbh since most switch ins and hits will easily take him out and if it wasn't for his trapping he wouldn't really be that viable in OU at all.

Well in practice I found analytic quite underrated. Especially if coupled with volt switch and a good battle sense. But then again, that's my experience.

Magnezone, although viable, may find some tough times ahead in the current OU. With Greninja gone, he no longer covers what could have been a rather easy kill for him. Given, that obviously wasn't his only role, but with the prevalence of water types already down a large percentage, you may be better off filling with another steel type to give similar coverage.

Dunno what you were thinking necro'ing a post either honestly. Magnezone isn't much to write home about, though he is pretty nifty.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
I've seen a few people run Sturdy on Magnezone. It's gimmicky as hell, but can be used as an effective lure, since most people will automatically assume that it has Magnet Pull, send in something to OHKO it, and Mag can then proceed to 2HKO its otherwise checks such as Scarftran.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)