Balanced Hackmons Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Hollywood, The Eevee General and The Immortal
Balanced Hackmons Viability Rankings

Welcome to the Balanced Hackmons Viability Ranking thread. As is implied in the title, the purpose of this thread is to rank Pokemon based on how well they perform in the metagame, with the help of you, the community. Through your opinions and thoughts on the metagame, Pokemon are listed in order of viability with the best at the top of the rankings and the least usable at the bottom.

This thread, similarly to other viability ranking threads, will list both offensive and defensive Pokemon together.

Example: Both Mega Diancie and Aegislash being placed in the A Rank means that, according to the thread, Mega Diancie's overall offensive capabilities are at a similar level of Aegislash's overall defensive capabilities.​

A unique point system will also be implemented which provides a small insight into how well each listed Pokemon functions in the metagame. While made to be as simple as possible, it is simply a small, further analysis of how well a Pokemon performs in the metagame and can be ignored if it proves to be too complicated. These ratings are achieved by giving each particular Pokemon a score out of ten for four categories, which are as follows:
  • Survivability: A measure of a Pokemon's ability to survive and its general lifespan in a game.
  • Effectiveness: A measure of how effectively a Pokemon performs its role and how consistently it does so.
  • Utility: A measure of flexibility in terms of usable sets, abilities and roles.
  • Support Required: A measure of required support from other Pokemon within the team in order for the Pokemon in question to perform its role effectively. A higher score numerically indicates a lesser need for support.
This thread will go by a council system, meaning that final decisions regarding the rankings will ultimately be made by the following people:

Without further ado, here are the rankings:

S Rank: Reserved for Pokemon with unmatched capabilities in the metagame. Pokemon within this rank have few flaws which are made to be almost inconsequential by many positive characteristics and require virtually no team support. These Pokemon score highly in most categories.

Chansey: Survivability: 8.8, Effectiveness: 8.5, Utility: 4.0, Support Required: 9.3

A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that perform greatly in the metagame. These Pokemon have few flaws that are mostly redeemed by postive traits or can be resolved through team support. Their capabilities are among the greatest within the metagame and are potentially unique, often individualising teams. These Pokemon score highly in multiple categories or score well overall.

Giratina: Survivability: 8.5, Effectiveness: 7.5, Utility: 7.3, Support Required: 7.2
Mega Mewtwo X: Survivability: 6.2, Effectiveness: 8.5, Utility: 7.8, Support Required: 7.2
Mega Mewtwo Y: Survivability: 5.3, Effectiveness: 8.7, Utility: 7.8, Support Required: 7.3
Primal Kyogre: Survivability: 7.8, Effectiveness: 7.5, Utility: 6.5, Support Required: 7.0
Mega Slowbro: Survivability: 8.5, Effectiveness: 7.8, Utility: 5.8, Support Required: 6.3
Primal Groudon: Survivability: 7.3, Effectiveness: 7.8, Utility: 6.5, Support Required: 6.7
Aegislash: Survivability: 7.8, Effectiveness: 7.3, Utility: 6.8, Support Required: 6.3
Blissey: Survivability: 8.0, Effectiveness: 7.5, Utility: 3.8, Support Required: 8.8
Mega Rayquaza: Survivability: 4.8, Effectiveness: 8.7, Utility: 7.5, Support Required: 7.0
Shedinja: Survivability: 6.5, Effectiveness: 7.7, Utility: 4.2, Support Required: 3.7
Mega Diancie: Survivability: 5.5, Effectiveness: 8.0, Utility: 5.7, Support Required: 6.5
Mega Gengar: Survivability: 3.7, Effectiveness: 8.0, Utility: 6.8, Support Required: 6.8

B Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that perform adequetely in the metagame. These Pokemon have numerous flaws that are partially patched up by positive traits or through team support. Their capabilities are certainly viable in the metagame and function well with the correct support. These Pokemon score well overall and may score highly or poorly in at least one category.

Xerneas: Survivability: 7.3, Effectiveness: 7.0, Utility: 7.0, Support Required: 6.8
Arceus: Survivability: 7.3, Effectiveness: 6.0, Utility: 8.2, Support Required: 6.5
Registeel: Survivability: 8.0, Effectiveness: 6.8, Utility: 6.7, Support Required: 5.8
Mega Audino: Survivability: 7.8, Effectiveness: 7.2, Utility: 5.8, Support Required: 6.3
Yveltal: Survivability: 7.0, Effectiveness: 6.5, Utility: 6.0, Support Required: 6.5
Mega Gyarados: Survivability: 6.7, Effectiveness: 6.8, Utility: 5.8, Support Required: 6.3
Mega Aggron: Survivability: 7.7, Effectiveness: 6.8, Utility: 5.5, Support Required: 5.3
Dialga: Survivability: 7.2, Effectiveness: 6.7, Utility: 5.7, Support Required: 5.7
Black Kyurem: Survivability: 5.8, Effectiveness: 7.5, Utility: 6.3, Support Required: 6.3
Mega Latios: Survivability: 5.3, Effectiveness: 6.8, Utility: 5.8, Support Required: 5.8
White Kyurem: Survivability: 5.2, Effectiveness: 7.5, Utility: 4.8, Support Required: 5.8
Mega Tyranitar: Survivability: 6.5, Effectiveness: 5.3, Utility: 5.0, Support Required: 5.7
Regigigas: Survivability: 6.0, Effectiveness: 7.0, Utility: 4.5, Support Required: 5.0
Mega Aerodactyl: Survivability: 4.5, Effectiveness: 7.0, Utility: 4.5, Support Required: 3.5
Slaking: Survivability: 6.5, Effectiveness: 5.7, Utility: 4.7, Support Required: 6.0

C Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that have very limited potential in the metagame. These Pokemon have noticeable flaws that outweigh their positive traits. Their capabilities are generally unreliable in the metagame but can work with the right support. These Pokemon score well in multiple categories and may score poorly in others.

Ho-oh: Survivability: 6.8, Effectiveness: 5.4, Utility: 4.4, Support Required: 3.8
Mega Venusaur: Survivability: 6.7, Effectiveness: 5.8, Utility: 4.8, Support Required: 5.0
Lugia: Survivability: 6.5, Effectiveness: 5.0, Utility: 5.2, Support Required: 5.3
Cresselia: Survivability: 7.3, Effectiveness: 5.3, Utility: 4.7, Support Required: 4.3
Reshiram: Survivability: 5.0, Effectiveness: 6.0, Utility: 4.0, Support Required: 6.5
Mega Scizor: Survivability: 6.0, Effectiveness: 5.3, Utility: 4.0, Support Required: 5.7
Therian-Forme Landorus: Survivability: 4.0, Effectiveness: 5.5, Utility: 5.5, Support Required: 5.0
Mega Garchomp: Survivability: 4.8, Effectiveness: 6.0, Utility: 5.2, Support Required: 5.2
Zen Mode Darmanitan: Survivability: 7.0, Effectiveness: 5.4, Utility: 3.5, Support Required: 3.5
Palkia: Survivability: 5.5, Effectiveness: 4.8, Utility: 4.5, Support Required: 4.7
Zekrom: Survivability: 5.5, Effectiveness: 6.0, Utility: 3.5, Support Required: 4.0
Speed Forme Deoxys: Survivability: 3.7, Effectiveness: 5.3, Utility: 4.3, Support Required: 5.5
Mega Kangaskhan: Survivability: 5.3, Effectiveness: 6.7, Utility: 2.7, Support Required: 4.0
Mega Charizard Y: Survivability: 4.5, Effectiveness: 7.0, Utility: 4.0, Support Required: 2.0

D Rank: Reserved for Pokemon with extremely limited potential in the metagame. These Pokemon suffer from a combination of large flaws and having most of their positive traits outclassed by other Pokemon; nevertheless, they can provide small niches that may work with a copious amount of support. These Pokemon have not been given scores as it is realistically only their niches which justify their use.
Attack Forme Deoxys
Ferrothorn
Heatran
Mega Alakazam
Mega Banette
Mega Beedrill
Mega Blaziken
Mega Gardevoir
Mega Houndoom
Mega Lucario
Mega Manectric
Mega Mawile
Mega Sceptile
Shuckle​
Skarmory
Volcanion​

Rules:
  • Post intelligently. If you think a Pokemon should be at a certain rank, don't just state it; provide evidence. Posts that do otherwise will not be tolerated and deleted.
  • Goes without saying, but no flaming. This should be a civilised discussion.

Last edited:
Changes:
Slaking: C -> B
Mega Gengar: B -> A
Ferrothorn: C -> Outclassed
Shuckle: C -> Outclassed
Attack Forme Deoxys: C -> Outclassed
Mega Blastoise: Outclassed
Outclassed Rank replaced with D rank
Ho-oh: B -> C
Mega Alakazam: D
Mega
Banette: D
Mega Beedrill: D
Mega
Blaziken: D

Mega Houndoom: D
Mega Manectric: D
Mega
Mawile: D
Volcanion: D

Last edited:
I don't see how Mega Rayquaza can be anything but S-rank. The mixed Aerilate set is so far and away the most dangerous offensive thing in the meta that it's almost comical. Without a Soundproof Steel or Rock type, it has no true counters. That is the definition of S material imo.

Also a little confused on why Giratina is not a 10 on Survivability, since it's the bulkiest thing in the game barring Eviolite Chansey cloning something. Shouldn't the most bulky mon be the baseline for a 10? Are we taking typing into account for Survivability as well? That makes some sense, but Ghost/Dragon still has plenty of great resists in this meta filled with V-Creates, Facades, and Superpowers. Draco Meteor and Spooky Plate Judgement are the only common attacks it's weak against in my experience.

I don't see how Mega Rayquaza can be anything but S-rank. The mixed Aerilate set is so far and away the most dangerous offensive thing in the meta that it's almost comical. Without a Soundproof Steel or Rock type, it has no true counters. That is the definition of S material imo.

Also a little confused on why Giratina is not a 10 on Survivability, since it's the bulkiest thing in the game barring Eviolite Chansey cloning something. Shouldn't the most bulky mon be the baseline for a 10? Are we taking typing into account for Survivability as well? That makes some sense, but Ghost/Dragon still has plenty of great resists in this meta filled with V-Creates, Facades, and Superpowers. Draco Meteor and Spooky Plate Judgement are the only common attacks it's weak against in my experience.
As you've said, Soundproof Pokemon that can take a physical hit or even a Protean King's Shield can force it to switch out. The bottom line is that it can be stopped and while it has hypothetical perfect coverage, realistically it can't put this into practise due to 4MSS.

Its typing is indeed the main problem. Other cases you haven't mentioned include the common Mega Diancie and most Protean users run coverage for Giratina, namely Moonblast of Hyperspace Hole.

As you've said, Soundproof Pokemon that can take a physical hit or even a Protean King's Shield can force it to switch out. The bottom line is that it can be stopped and while it has hypothetical perfect coverage, realistically it can't put this into practise due to 4MSS.
By that logic, should Chansey not be S because many sweepers run counter sets for her? If you're the absolute best at what you do (sweeping with no setup required, in Ray's case), is that not what S-rank means? The fact that you NEED a Steel type, preferably with Soundproof, to be able to even check this thing is evidence enough of it's dominance in my opinion. There's plenty of people that run Soundproof Registeels or Mega Aggron/Steelix specifically to check Mega Rayquaza, because otherwise it 6-0s them. It's easily the most format-warping thing in BH, including Chansey which is on every single team.

I don't know why I'm up this late, but whatever. Anyway, I don't get the point system. It determine rank, right? Then why are there A ranked Pokemon with overall better scores than S ranked Pokemon? (For example, Xerneas vs Diancie-Mega and Shedinja.) Pokemon that scored higher should be ranked higher, no? But if score doesn't have an impact then... why is the score even there?

Second, on the outclassed section, in what ways are they outclassed? Some are obvious, like Kyogre, so I don't expect any sort of explanation on those. But then you have others that either have unique typings or are the best in their typings. For example, Sceptile's typing is unique that gives it Spore immunity, making it the fastest safe Spore in the meta without boosts or item/ability support, and additionally also has the strongest special Grass-STAB, which actually matters since Kyogre-P, Slowbro-M, and Diancie-M are all weak to said STAB, and is also 4x resistant to Kyo's and Slowbro's Water-STAB. Meanwhile, Gard, while a little slower than Diancie, still isn't outsped by much of anything of note besides Diancie Mega-Ray, still has a unique typing, useful and practical megalution gimmick, and still Boombursts harder, not to mention lacks a 4x Steel weakness... or the rest of Rock's many, many weaknesses.

Others are harder to justify since their niches are much smaller. Mega-Aboma has unique typing and works great under Trick Room, though needs a lot of support because of its weaknesses. Despite being a bit frail, Mega-Luke holds a niche for being the Fighting type not weak to Fighting-type weaknesses and also being the Fighting-type that can scare off most Fairies. Pinsir's admittedly the hardest to argue for here since, offensively, the Bug typing is very bad in BH right now. But, it is the best Bug/Flying in the tier (at least physically), and megavolving to Aerilate gimmick, so it does have a rather small niche it runs better.

Okay, I think I'm slightly ranting a bit, but I really don't feel that anything that has a usable niche should be marked as outclassed. Rather, it should be reserved for stuff that are literally beaten in all practical ways, such as most non-Mega forms, or things that are so weak that they're literally unusable. At the very least, pull Gard and Sceptile out of there as they both have varied niches not covered by anyone else.

Either way, I feel this ranking list is a bit pre-mature. The ORAS demo information isn't even fully implemented (EG: new weather abilities don't function correctly or at all) and we don't know for certain if there won't be anything new that slipped from the demo. Unlikely, sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a Mega-Volcanion in the full-game to finish out the Kalos event trio. Additionally, while things are sort of stabilizing, the ORAS BH meta hasn't matured. Also, there's an -ate suspect coming sooner or later and, if it bans anything, whether that be certain mons, certain moves, or even -ates themselves, then it'll jostle all the ratings pretty darn hard.

I'm also not a huge fan of the ratings system, since a lot of them seem to be given numbers at random. Why does Ferrothorn require more team support than Mega Garchomp? Garchomp has more weaknesses (3 vs 2) and fewer resists (4 vs 10). What exactly is the metric for deciding how much team support something requires? Obviously something that's 4x weak to rocks or has really crippling weaknesses (Ho-Oh, Char-Y, Mega Abomasnow) require more support, but I don't think putting a non-sense numerical value next to it means a whole lot. At the very least I would use a 1-10 scale without decimals, as it looks cleaner and is much easier to understand.

I'd also prefer just rating "Offense, Defense, and Utility" rather than the current rating categories, but that's just me.

I'm also not a huge fan of the ratings system, since a lot of them seem to be given numbers at random. Why does Ferrothorn require more team support than Mega Garchomp? Garchomp has more weaknesses (3 vs 2) and fewer resists (4 vs 10). What exactly is the metric for deciding how much team support something requires? Obviously something that's 4x weak to rocks or has really crippling weaknesses (Ho-Oh, Char-Y, Mega Abomasnow) require more support, but I don't think putting a non-sense numerical value next to it means a whole lot. At the very least I would use a 1-10 scale without decimals, as it looks cleaner and is much easier to understand.

I'd also prefer just rating "Offense, Defense, and Utility" rather than the current rating categories, but that's just me.
To answer your question, a Poison Heal sweeper such as Mega Garchomp has little need for team support (ilate counters aside,) and its offensive pressence allows Mega Garchomp to stay around for a long time. Ferrothorn, however, is a bit lacking, as it does not truly have a dedicated role in the current BH metagame. Its Flash Fire set and Prankster set is really ineffective, and Fighting coverage is extremely common in the current metagame. Survivability is really a lot more complex than it would seem.

Its typing is indeed the main problem. Other cases you haven't mentioned include the common Mega Diancie and most Protean users run coverage for Giratina, namely Moonblast of Hyperspace Hole.
The issue with relying on soundproof Pokemon to handle Mega Ray is that they can easily be broken by coverage. Aggron M, one of the best soundproof mons, can easily die to any special fire move, Arceus dies to fighting moves, and so on and so forth. Mega Ray is S because of how high BOTH of it's attacks are, allowing it to easily bypass what otherwise would be checks/counters.

Edit: Also, I would push for Mega Aggron in A rank. The meta is absolutely infested with -ate moves, and while it does die to special coverage, it can still effectively trap opposing -ates. Add on the ability to run powerful -ate sets of your own without being imposter weak, and the ability to beat imposters though PP stall, and you have a very effective Pokemon. Given that this is also only it's main set, and that it can support the team in other ways, I would argue that it's just as dangerous in the current metagame as Pokemon like Shedinja and Giratina.

Gotta say, I'm a little surprised by Kyurem-B in B rank. Does it really have "numerous flaws"? Also, I feel like its ability to beat Mega Rayquaza and Mega Gengar makes it a bit more useful. I'm not sure about A rank, but it might be worth looking at.

Also, I don't think I'm the only one who would support moving Darm-Z from C to B. It's a good stop to Kyurem-B and Mega Diancie, and can choose to wall sweepers with Unaware, go physically defensive with Fur Coat, or be specially defensive with AV + Regenerator. It's certainly better than some of the other Pokemon in the rank, like Skarmory and Cresselia.

Third, if Aegislash is in A rank, Registeel deserves it as well. It has better HP and no weakness to Knock Off or Gengar-Mega's Judgment. The main thing it loses out on is Fighting immunity, which isn't that great.

Mega Latias should be in C rank rather than not being anywhere.

I'm a little concerned by the implications of Blissey in A rank. I don't think we should really be giving random people who look at this thread the idea that Blissey is as useful as other Pokemon in that rank, when in fact it's outclassed in all but a very small subsection of roles that beginning players probably won't use anyway. And even in those roles, it could be argued that Chansey is better, because it can bluff Eviolite. I agree that, if Chansey didn't exist, Blissey being in A would be a good idea. But in this case it just comes off a little strange.

Last, a general thought: the gap in quality between B and C rank is just staggering. We go from Pokemon like Mega Gengar, one of the best special sweepers in the metagame, to things like the Deoxys formes and Cresselia.

By the way Rumors, the weather abilities have been implemented.

Uselesscrab Functioning properly, such as Desolate Lands stopping water attacks? If so, then I missed that update.

@ The list: Two other things I noticed: Slaking and Regigigas are in different tiers when they're virtually interchangeable. The only notable differences between are some base stat differences that don't mean a lot (Slaking has higher physical bulk, Gigas special) and the fact that, for whatever reason, they don't share sets. I don't know why you never see PH Slaking or Belly Speed Gigas when they'd both handle the sets about the same.

Also, Deo-A is on the list. Why? Last Gen we were telling people to stop using it over Mewtwo, who is outclassed now, and it has always been the poster boy for new players who don't know what they're doing yet. This Gen the only tiny niche it got was that it did mixed Protean fairly well, but that's completely murdered by Mega-Ray now.

Also, Blastoise-M should be under outclassed, since newer players still tend to run it even though it offered nothing over Kyogre, let alone Kyogre-P, except a very tiny improvement in physical bulk at the cost of everything else. Suicune may also be worth including there too since it's fairly prevalent in other meta-games, particularly the somewhat similar AAA.

CactusCacti The Protean set is outclassed by the likes of Mega Mewtwo Y due to the difference in Special Attack and while it has the slightest advantage over said Pokemon due to higher speed, realistically it's not that practical since the advantage of the higher Special Attack outweighs threatening another Protean user or what have you. The Contrary set can be stopped by three -ates and Steel Types resist its STABs.

Uselesscrab Rumors Your points are being discussed.

CactusCacti The Protean set is outclassed by the likes of Mega Mewtwo Y due to the difference in Special Attack and while it has the slightest advantage over said Pokemon due to higher speed, realistically it's not that practical since the advantage of the higher Special Attack outweighs threatening another Protean user or what have you. The Contrary set can be stopped by three -ates and Steel Types resist its STABs.
Very, VERY set dependant there. Mega Skeptiles niche is being able to outspeed and ohko mega mewtwo Y tho. Specially now with hyperspace fury around.
-Ate and steels are also very, very set dependant and apply to mewtwo mega Y aswell, so ???.

Speed's important, ya know.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
Sceptile's fast protean set is ouclassed by Alakazam-Mega though, which has a much higher spA and a higher speed stat.

While I agree that the protean set is outclassed, I wouldn't say Sceptile is outclassed entirely. It's effectively replaced Skymin, which while not very popular, has always been around the ladder using quick feet sets and whatnot. It's just better at doing the quick feet and flare boost things that Skymin has done due to higher speed and special attack, and keeps the 4x ice weakness for Judgment sets too. It's the only 'mon to get STAB on both Draco and Leaf Storm too so I guess it's also a unique Contrary user? O_o

That being said, it's not exactly great on the ladder (mostly because -ates will do unspeakable things to it), but it's not outclassed.

I wouldn't say Deoxys-A is outclassed either, since while having such bad bulk is usually horrible for you, and don't get me wrong it still is, it does have the niche of pretty much destroying any imposter switch-in. So if you were counting on using Chansey for your Protean check, you're going to have a bad time.

Mega Abomasnow has a cool niche: Primordial Sea removes Fire Weakness completely, boosts a Water move like Steam Eruption for some Rock and Fire coverage, and under Trick Room can sweep fairly well.

Ice Beam, Seed Flare, Steam Eruption, Trick Room, with Primordial Sea as the ability gives it basically 3 STAB moves, guarantees it'll go first and makes a 4x weakness an immunity. Also, Immunity to Freeze, Spore, Leech Seed.

Flash Fire has officially been replaced, same for Scizor, unless you want a Fire move, and want Flast Fire to boost it when you switch it in.

Mega Camerupt can function similarily, if you use Desolate Landon Camerupt, Trick Room the first turn, and Mega Evolve so you can sweep. (You have to start out as the Mega for Abomasnow otherwise Snow Warning kicks in).

Regigigas is among the best of Toxic Healers, while also getting STAB Facade out of it unlike other viable Toxic Healers out there. Equipped with King's Shield it puts a stop to almost all Physical Attackers. It deserves at least an A. I know S would be pushing it, but I won't mind it seeing there as well.

Regigigas is among the best of Toxic Healers, while also getting STAB Facade out of it unlike other viable Toxic Healers out there. Equipped with King's Shield it puts a stop to almost all Physical Attackers. It deserves at least an A. I know S would be pushing it, but I won't mind it seeing there as well.
I'd agree with this last generation, but Gen VI has not been friendly to Gigas. Xtwo is common and frequently runs its Fighting-STAB, which often outright OHKOs Gigas and still inflicts serious damage after a King's Shield drop. Proteans with Fighting coverage are also in the same boat and Gigas can't take their higher powered, other typed hits anyway. Gigas also struggles with Boombursters, especially faster ones, and more so now since it can't always run 252 in Speed since it needs bulk. Offensively, the rise of Gengar, Aegislash, and Aggron have made its ability to punch holes in the opposing team with Facade much more difficult, whereas it used to only really have difficulties with Giratina regularly. Its classic SporeTail set also runs into issues with Fairy types now, particularly Spore immune Fairies, and it can't simply just switch to SporeThrow because Ghosts.

Speaking as a frequent Gigas user, it's still a good and reliable mon. It's just not the terror that it was last gen anymore.

I think Registeel could move up, honestly. It's one of the bulkiest things we have access to, it's got a great typing, and has gained all kinds of viability as one of the few walls that can stand up to Mega Ray using Soundproof.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Recover/Milk Drink
- Spikes/Stealth Rock
- Toxic/Iron Head
- Defog/Rapid Spin/Heart Swap (whatever utility you need really)

This hard walls Mega Ray without a special fire/ground/fighting coverage (Extreme Speed is a 5HKO lol). Yes, I realize Searing Shot is among the most common coverage moves on Mega Ray right now, but many are running Earthquake/Precipice Blades instead. EQ is only a 52% chance to 2HKO with Life Orb. With Sharp Beak (more common right now?) it's a 3HKO.

If they're using the rare Techno Blast set over Boomburst:
252+ SpA Life Orb Aerilate Rayquaza Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Registeel: 162-191 (44.5 - 52.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
(modified Boomburst BP to 120)

Hard countering one of the 3-headed monster core (Mega Ray, Chansey, Sturdinja) is a pretty big plus for a fairly well-rounded wall.

Last edited:
Changes:
Slaking: C -> B
While the opposite held true before the EV Cap, Regigigas' better Special Defense bulk can be said to be virtually inconsequential in the current metagame, hence Slaking is not particularly overshadowed by Regigigas.

Mega Gengar: B -> A
While Mega Gengar has been always been threatened by -ates, especially with the introduction of Mega Rayquaza, its Specially Offensive capabilities and do indeed allow it to perform greatly in the metagame, to an A level.

Ferrothorn: C -> Outclassed
Most of the current metagame, especially mixed -ates and Proteans can easily overcome Ferrothorn, and thus is generally unusable even as a niche.

Skarmory: C -> Outclassed
Similar reason as the above.

Shuckle: C-> Outclassed
Similar reason as the above, and while it is perhaps more usable than those two there really is no point in using it even as a niche.

Attack Forme Deoxys: C -> Outclassed
Mega Mewtwo Y generally outclasses most of its sets, the introduction of Mega Rayquaza means that its 180/180 mixed offenses are no longer unique and Focus Sash sets that attempt to alleviate its abysmal bulk are stopped by -ates.

Mega Blastoise: Outclassed
The introduction of Primal Kyogre indeed overshadows Mega Blastoise.

I think Ferrothorn is fine in C. It's great typing and bulk shouldn't be underestimated. It isn't a strong force in the metagame because of -ates and fire coverage being semi-common, but it's still got that great typing that lets it act as a decent Prankster hazard lead. I used it for ~25 matches and it was rarely bad. It flat out walled stuff to death with King's Shield/Leech Seed in many of those matches, and was very consistently getting up multiple layers of spikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)