ORAS OU Gallade=megamence counter

I know gallade isn't a megamence counter. The title was just to grab your attention lol.

sup guys, dragonite here again still procrastinating on stuff lol. I decided to give oras OU a go even though I said I wouldn't play till megamence is banned. Anyway, hopefully the title got your attention since gallade being a megamence counter is highly unlikely. And that's correct. Gallade is not a megamence counter. Mence has no counters :(. So I wanted to build a team around one of the new megas and gallade seemed fun because it has a really really versatile moveset.

Teambuilding process-I started off with gallade. I gave him an offensive moveset consisting of close combat, knock off, zen headbutt, and ice punch. Then I threw latias on the team. It wasnt a full offensive set. I had some evs in hp and packed draco, psyshock, defog, and recover. Then I threw in greninja. This guy gets gunk shot now so he is really difficult to switch into. With spikes in his moveset, greninja became a real threat. I needed rocks so I put in heatran. It was the typical spdef heatran with rocks, toxic, protect, and lava plume. Now I needed something to beat megamence and a scarfer in general. So I thought of kyurem-b. I decided to go all special attacker. Lastly, I needed a second way to beat kyurem and a general check to birdspam. I chose phys defensive rotom wash. After some matches I realized that although greninja is a great mon, he didnt fit into the team. I changed him to sub ddance gyarados. Gyarados was working great on the team, being able to beat megagross and take on mega swamp in the rain. He was awesome. But I just felt like I needed some priority. So here is the current team:

Gallade (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat/Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ice Punch/Substitute

Gallade is fast, strong, and versatile. I knew I was gonna run something similar to my megacham set (which was sub and 3 attacks) but when I saw gallade gets wisp, I just had to use that because it allows him to beat so many things. You sub on the predicted status attack and when the opponent switches, you use wisp. Then they may switch again and you go for knock off expecting the opponent to bring in something that can take a close combat. And boom, gallade already damaged half of the opposing team. I think he also learns twave so I may give that a shot. Oh, and about gallade being a megamence counter, he can burn mega mence which is immensely useful. I know gallade isn't a megamence counter. The title was just to grab your attention.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog/Calm mind
- Recover

Latios is on here because I wanted a defogger and just a mon with strong offensive presence. I considered changing him but I couldn't find a replacement. Anyway, latios defogs those rocks away and hits hard with dracos and psyshocks. And calm mind is just really really fun. Like, a lot of fun. I think calm mind latios will be used more since he has a mega now. Or cm mega latias. Calm mind lati@s beats megabro 1v1 (not really but I beat megabro 1v1 but my opponent sucked lol).

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Defog
- Roar

This used to be clefable but my team struggled with greninja a lot and he was packing gunk shot so I had no switch ins. Greninja can't tough empoleon at all. Empoleon also provides rocks and can burn things with scald. Also, he can defog away entry hazards. Overall he is a pretty useful addition to my team.

Bisharp @ Dread Plate
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

This used to be gyarados but something told me to use bisharp instead. Gyarados can sweep after a ddance, sure, but bisharp provides great priority in the form of sucker punch. And he can pursuit trap various threats like lati@s. I'm not sure if I should change him but currently, he's doing great on the team. EVs are standard and so is the moveset. I decided not to use life orb since the recoil is kind of annoying and it cost me games. Dread plate works just fine.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Flash Cannon

I've actually never used kyurem before. Ever. So when I first used this guy, I was amazed because he is really really good. He has amazing coverage and is dangerous with a scarf. I dont know about the moveset since I never really used him but I'm usually cleaning late game with ice beam/earth power. He forms some kind of "double draco core" with latios lol. Teravolt is an awesome ability too, helps a lot with rotom w.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

Rotom w has always been a great pokemon. The physically defensive version takes on birdspam really and helps out with megamence. I usually lead with him, volt switching out against a threat or burning something. EVs and moveset are standard. I kinda wanna run a chesto rest set to make the team more versatile and better combat a wider variety of teams but I'm not sure.

Threatlist
Greninja-he can do a huge number to my team if empoleon is down but he is worn down quickly by rocks, LO recoil, and scald from empoleon.

M-sableye-I'm not running into him too much but he can switch into 4 mons and just set up. The calm mind set is pretty dangerous since latios and kyurem can't take it down after 2 boosts. I need something to beat m-sableye.

Excadrill-scarf exca is guaranteed a kill every time he switches in. I'm lucky that I haven't ran into him too much. Mold breaker nullifies my two eq switch ins and iron head hits kyurem hard. Gallade can survive one eq but can't switch in.

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-179208411 Good game overall check it out.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-179209423
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-179366340 Handling rain and mega swampert
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-179372233 Another awesome replay showcasing m-gallade's unique set

Conclusion
Thanks for reading and I'd appreciate any feedback. I think I'm getting the hang of teambuilding since I'm actually using more and more of my own teams. In XY OU I'd just steal teams from here or from joey. Anyway, starting off with this team was a bit weird since it didnt feel as hyperoffensive as I'm accustomed too but that isn't a big deal. I like this team so far and I'd like to know what you guys think.

Last edited:
Hey mate, interesting team!
Um..about Mega Gallade being a Mega Mence counter...how? (no disrespect, just wondering)
Because, although you state that Mega Gallade can burn Mega Mence, Salamence outspeeds Gallade without Mega-evolving, and its Mega-evolved form outspeeds Mega Gallade. The only way to pull off a burn would be in a situation where Mega Gallade was faced with a non-Mega Salamence; however, no pre-Mega Salamence will stay in on a Mega Gallade, fearing an Ice Punch.

Secondly, before I give a rate, you might want to read the rules here. RMTs require at least three lines of descriptions per pokemon, describing why you chose the movesets and EV spreads that you did. Otherwise, this thread could be locked by a mod.

Hey mate, interesting team!
Um..about Mega Gallade being a Mega Mence counter...how? (no disrespect, just wondering)
Because, although you state that Mega Gallade can burn Mega Mence, Salamence outspeeds Gallade without Mega-evolving, and its Mega-evolved form outspeeds Mega Gallade. The only way to pull off a burn would be in a situation where Mega Gallade was faced with a non-Mega Salamence; however, no pre-Mega Salamence will stay in on a Mega Gallade, fearing an Ice Punch.

Secondly, before I give a rate, you might want to read the rules here. RMTs require at least three lines of descriptions per pokemon, describing why you chose the movesets and EV spreads that you did. Otherwise, this thread could be locked by a mod.
Well the title was just to grab your attention XD. I know mega gallade isnt a counter to megamence. I mentioned it in the intro. And thanks for the heads up. I'll add some more stuff to it in a bit.

Why give kyurem special attacks when he is an insane physical sweeper
Not sure exactly. I see most people running mixed kyurem. But that's why I rmt'd. To get some suggestions.

napty

Banned deucer.
You can add Mega Sableye in your threat list. Free switch into Gallade, Ferrothorn, Rotom-Wash, and Bisharp, and can burn them or remove their item with knock off. Definitly something you should be able to deal with, that's why I would tell you to replace your Stealth Rock setter, which is actually Ferrothorn, by Clefable or something.

Why give kyurem special attacks when he is an insane physical sweeper
Because kyurem-b has a pretty terrible physical movepool for the most part, and ice/ground provides nice coverage for things such as dragonite, heatran etc. However, I would change your Kyurem to a mixed set, because it does have a nice attack stat and fusion bolt allows you to hit things like azumarill and keldeo who currently destroy your kyurem. Here is a set you cold try:

(Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 120 Atk / 140 SpA / 248 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

The special attack evs allow you to OHKO mega pinsir and thundurus, and 2HKO rotom-w. It also has enough attack to OHKO zard-y,who seems to be a huge threat to your team since latios has a hard time switching in with rocks/life orb damage adding up. Also, gallade is by no means a salamence counter. +1 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gallade: 810-954 (292.4 - 344.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Because kyurem-b has a pretty terrible physical movepool for the most part, and ice/ground provides nice coverage for things such as dragonite, heatran etc. However, I would change your Kyurem to a mixed set, because it does have a nice attack stat and fusion bolt allows you to hit things like azumarill and keldeo who currently destroy your kyurem. Here is a set you cold try:

(Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 120 Atk / 140 SpA / 248 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

The special attack evs allow you to OHKO mega pinsir and thundurus, and 2HKO rotom-w. It also has enough attack to OHKO zard-y,who seems to be a huge threat to your team since latios has a hard time switching in with rocks/life orb damage adding up. Also, gallade is by no means a salamence counter. +1 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gallade: 810-954 (292.4 - 344.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I'm actually thinking about changing kyurem. I'm not sure to what but my team is really weak to drill.

You should make Gallade's ability Justified. This allows you to switch in on dark moves like knock off and gain an attack boost.

Good team but you should really be more carful. In those replays you made some really risky play that payed off only because the opponent misplayed. Other than that good job.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Good team but you should really be more carful. In those replays you made some really risky play that payed off only because the opponent misplayed. Other than that good job.
Not gonna lie but why pull up this can of worms. the team was built 4 months ago for threats that are no longer in the metagame lmao.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)