Gen 1 RoA Mini-Tournament 15: Psyches Out RBY - Won by Isa

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Reflect Chansey is a thing as is Lax and zapper so it's not only Zam getting buffed.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I'm not really sure how that invalidates my statement, since Reflect's functions should be totally irrelevant to a game of RBY when you aren't using it (like you shouldn't be).

plus that whole not being serious thing because it's a joke (but Seismic Toss being better on Zam isn't)

I'm not really sure how that invalidates my statement, since Reflect's functions should be totally irrelevant to a game of RBY when you aren't using it (like you shouldn't be).

plus that whole not being serious thing because it's a joke (but Seismic Toss being better on Zam isn't)
It's invalid because your assessment of "nobody should use Reflect anyway" is based on Reflect not working against crits. One of the biggest reasons Reflect sucks is because it's unreliable against the biggest physical threat i.e. Tauros.

Your argument is analogous to "it doesn't matter if GSC Sleep Talk + Roar is bugged to always work because nobody uses Sleep Talk + Roar anyway".

SToss Zam is better (assuming no bug) if you're leading with it (which you shouldn't be :V) or if you can keep it para-free (a.k.a. you use it more wisely than 70% of RBYers). Otherwise ReflectZam is better (even without being bugged).

I contacted my opponent and we had it scheduled for Saturday, but I couldn't make it on time. I tried to contact him again but he didn't show up since then. Hopefully we can play soon.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
It's invalid because your assessment of "nobody should use Reflect anyway" is based on Reflect not working against crits. One of the biggest reasons Reflect sucks is because it's unreliable against the biggest physical threat i.e. Tauros.
Who are you to tell me what my assessment is based off? The only mon that would reasonably use Reflect, Alakazam, simply has a better option for that moveslot. Zapdos should use T-Wave. Chansey doesn't have room for it. Snorlax pls.

I'd totally use Sleep Talk Roar Suicune in GSC if it worked like it does in later gens.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-gen1oubeta-1111413

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

to coin a phrase, "lucky n bad"
You did some pretty stupid things too; you switched into Tauros multiple times (you should have just Exploded Muk) and you switched Gengar out of Lapras (specfalled or not, you should still have gone for Tbolt or boom). Also your team was pretty shit what with having Muk, Selfdestruct on Gengar, and getting rekt by specials in general (Articuno with Agility damned near sweeps you, for instance).

All that said, you did get haxed, but don't complain too much.

Who are you to tell me what my assessment is based off? The only mon that would reasonably use Reflect, Alakazam, simply has a better option for that moveslot. Zapdos should use T-Wave. Chansey doesn't have room for it. Snorlax pls.

I'd totally use Sleep Talk Roar Suicune in GSC if it worked like it does in later gens.
Raishey is a massive pain to deal with. Reflect on Zam is necessary if you let it get paralysed; otherwise it gets killed by Tauros/Snorlax/Golem/Rhydon/etc.

Also I've gotten swept by TankLax before.

Last edited:

Isa

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
mr. e, if you think that agility (or whatever fourth move you run) is so set in stone on zapdos that you'd rather drop twave, i think you should play more rby before making further comments on the subject

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.
I'll try to get it done tomorrow, but if we can't, feel free to give Marco the win. I haven't been active at all, and I lack general interest in tourney play anyway atm.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
mr. e, if you think that agility (or whatever fourth move you run) is so set in stone on zapdos that you'd rather drop twave, i think you should play more rby before making further comments on the subject
Bro, I think you don't know how to read. Bro. Who said anything about dropping T-Wave? I'm confused, bro.

Personally I was just assuming the other move on Zapdos was Rest (STAB attacks obviously being the other two), since it's bulky enough to survive whatever while fishing for free turns against "thing that is paralyzed because everything in RBY gets paralyzed eventually." I guess Reflect is useful for Snorlax, less so against Tauros because you want to T-Wave it first anyway and at that point you're probably better off just throwing Thunderbolts and hoping it dies before it sticks a Body Slam PAR. It doesn't help at all against Goldon since that's a hopeless matchup for Zapdos anyway.

Would you use Reflect + Rest, forgoing T-Wave? It makes Resting safer, but not that much safer since special attackers are the majority in RBY and you still lose the 25% chance of a free turn to burn sleep counters against all attackers (physical too) that weren't already PAR by a teammate. It's a non-Amnesia Lax counter, big whoop. And then there's Agility which you should feel bad about using. Toxic or Mimic if you really want to attempt dealing with Goldon with Zapdos.

Reflect on Zam is necessary if you let it get paralysed; otherwise it gets killed by Tauros/Snorlax/Golem/Rhydon/etc.
Those things don't matter because without Seismic Toss, you're gonna be the one switching Zam out of mirror matches and shit anyway.

That's kinda funny. Toss Zam > Reflect Zam, causing Reflect Zam to switch to Tauros and friends, causing Toss Zam to perhaps resent not having Reflect. Meanwhile, Reflect Zam user is annoyed because he's the one forced to switch in the first place and potentially end up taking a Psychic to the face with something that has like 200 Special and doesn't resist Psychic.

Isa

marcoasd vs MoxieInfinite
innovamania vs Xeze
Aerodactyl Legend vs Crystal_
Isa vs rmaff_10

just a reminder that the round ends tomorrow; let's try to get these battles done in the next 24 hours~
My opponent missed our scheduled time during the weekend, and said I could have the win as a result. An effort was made to have the game played shortly afterwards but no result.

I'm without a reliable internet connection for a few days so my ability to play the game is heavily limited, next round should be without issues though.

My opponent told me that if we can't play during these days that I could take the activity win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)