ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
tbh at this point the main reason I'm hoping for more tutors and megas is so I can just laugh at everyone who said "well we got everything from the demo why don't we just put it on showdown OU already?!". It'd be like the biggest failure of Smogon and it would be so funny
Not really. The ladder won't be official until the games come out and we can confirm everything. Not banning Drizzle is our biggest failure anyway.

realtalk tho baseless speculation ain't allowed; we've got a shitton of data from the demo why aren't we discussing that?
We've already gone through most of the things people actually care about that we've found that isn't metagame related. Trying to comb through it for a new topic is also pretty time consuming.

Last edited:
R_N , I DID say wishful thinking XD, but yeah, your right, there probably isn't anything new, sadly, although I'd love a milotic. We'll find out when the game comes out, so not much longer to wait.

There's really not, though

things that are removed seem fairly all or nothing.
Every pokemon has their battle data in the demo including: base stats (including all megas, pikachus, and hoopa's form (!!)), level up movepools, egg moves, and move tutors.
At same time, there is information in the code that clearly shows that it is unfinished, not just removed. I'm specifically referring to the more pointless Move Tutors (and by pointless, I mean they have a Gen VI TM. Dark Pulse, for instance).
Just playing Devil's Advocate cause I honestly don't think there will be more Megas, but you just never know with Game Freak.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
So when the games comes out and we post our adventures should it be here or on another thread/board?
When the games come out, this thread will be closed, and new threads opened. As for Let's Plays, they've always been delegated to separate threads.
Chances are there will be a thread just like the one for XY where we can share experiences and talk about the general plot of the game. I will also be co-ordinating some other threads just like the ones we did for X&Y if people were around then (I know some of you guys are new).

I'm getting pretty excited now as it's less than 4 weeks for me to get the games... Just Nintendo brought forward SmashU :(

Don't know if anyone else has had this but the younger Pokemart brother left for Oldale on my version (I haven't read this anywhere on the thread so). Happened after the nugget mission.
Will add screenshots soon.

Yeah, that happens after the nugget mission as well as steven's house opening. I haven't noticed anything else different though...

If they're not adding any new Megas in this game, there's always another Kalos game/new generation.

Btw where can I find the picture of the new Route 114?

If they're not adding any new Megas in this game, there's always another Kalos game/new generation.
The only sad thing would be seeing as how Hoenn is the coolest region, and as how Flygon and Milotic are from it, and how Game Freak is still being a scum-hole-dingus-waffle about patching for content updates it'll just suck that we don't get to use those (and other) potential future megas in our beautiful Hoenn games. I mean if Mega Flygon comes around in X2Y2 it would be another 10-15 years before I could actually use it in Hoenn... if ever.

Also it'd be cool to have them in 3 weeks rather than an undetermined future.

I'm not gonna give my hopes up until a while after the games are out!

Fresh from the research thread and I am bummed about one thing--NO DEFOG TUTOR.

Well great, now I have to go digging in who-knows-where to get a defogger for WiFi...just peachy...

EDIT: Noticed that Sleep Talk is a tutor move now along with dark pulse and water pulse, not a TM, there's hope for a defog TM!

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The only sad thing would be seeing as how Hoenn is the coolest region, and as how Flygon and Milotic are from it, and how Game Freak is still being a scum-hole-dingus-waffle about patching for content updates it'll just suck that we don't get to use those (and other) potential future megas in our beautiful Hoenn games. I mean if Mega Flygon comes around in X2Y2 it would be another 10-15 years before I could actually use it in Hoenn... if ever.

Also it'd be cool to have them in 3 weeks rather than an undetermined future.

I'm not gonna give my hopes up until a while after the games are out!
You know, if there was any time to make Hoenn Mega Evolutions for this gen, it would be now. As you pointed out, it wouldn't make sense for them to release a Mega Pokemon for a Gen III Pokemon for XY2 since it would only be a few years after the Hoenn remakes. So I have a feeling for this Generation we're done with Gen III Mega Evolutions (and before you point it out, Mega Diancie is a special case and will be available in XY2).

So with that said, according to GameFreak's thought process for Mega Evolutions for ORAS:

Top Priority:

(And remember, these guys as well as Pidgeot, Steelix, and Lopunny aren't in the Hoenn Dex thus available either post game of through trading with XY)

Aren't worth a thought:

(Among others)

... MAKES SENSE TO ME!

So.
The new mega evolutions are awesome. (The ones we have are good; what we're pissed about is the lack of Mega Flygon and Milotic).
The updated graphics are awesome. (I seriously never knew the weird holes in the ground on route 114 were craters.)
The tutors are awesome. (Tailwind at last!)
But what I'm most excited about out of everything is something gone unnoticed for, really, ages on this thread: (super) Secret Bases. Think about it; I'm sure that everyone who plays Pokemon has, at one point, fantasized about making a Gym, being the leader, and taking on challengers with your monotype/theme team. Yeah, this was technically sort of possible in the original RSE, but your challengers were limited to people you mixed records with (which you had to go way out of the way to do), and if you wanted to have a gym that's actually challenging (remember most people have endgame-level teams after the first week or two), you had to grind 5 or 6 mons to insane levels. But now, in ORAS, those problems have both been solved. Level grinding has become *much* easier thanks to the battle chateau in XY providing easy leveling (Whether or not a similar facility in ORAS exists is somewhat of a moot point, since you can level in XY and then bank the mons over), and StreetPass/PSS providing no shortage of challengers. (Yes, they fight against an AI with your team, but nothing's stopping you from having 6 level 100 Arceuses.)
I will definitely be taking advantage of this feature. I'm currently training a Porygon2, Klinklang, Metagross, Magnezone, Porygon-Z, and Mewtwo (SCIENCE! and yes I am using Mewtwo as my ace) to level 80-84; well above Wally's endgame team, but not crazy.

Will anyone else be making a Gym? If so, what will your team be? I look forward to potentially challenging Smogon's AI teams in... 17 days. I'm never gonna make it.

Some people were wondering about PSS icons if it turns out that trainer customisation isn't coming back, has anybody mentioned the possibility that we can dress up in contests and use that as our PSS icon? Because that would be incredibly cool and would totally make up for no trainer customisation.

I'm definitely going to enjoy Secret Bases. I'll probably make a Fire-type 'gym' with it, it'll be so rad to see other people's bases :D

Shuuuuuut uuuuuuup about Milotic and Flygon.

You all realize that they're simultaneously meeting their gameplay needs and branching out the fanservice aspect of mega evolutions by revamping Pokemon from other generations besides gen3, right?
Every choice they're made so far for MEvo expansions has been brilliant. Using Beedrill gives them both a Poison type AND a Bug type to add to the Mega meta while still expanding the reach of mega evolution further than they would have gone by choosing to MEvo Dustox instead. Turning Lopunny into a Fighting type adds another unique type combination to the game and expands on the effects of Mega evolution to gen4-mons, which fleshes out the mechanic moreso than it would have gone with just using Hariyama, for example.

I thought I've been grasping at straws for the last week, but then this comes back.

Just stop.

So.
The new mega evolutions are awesome. (The ones we have are good; what we're pissed about is the lack of Mega Flygon and Milotic).
The updated graphics are awesome. (I seriously never knew the weird holes in the ground on route 114 were craters.)
But what I'm most excited about out of everything is something gone unnoticed for, really, ages on this thread: (super) Secret Bases. Think about it; I'm sure that everyone who plays Pokemon has, at one point, fantasized about making a Gym, being the leader, and taking on challengers with your monotype/theme team. Yeah, this was technically sort of possible in the original RSE, but your challengers were limited to people you mixed records with (which you had to go way out of the way to do), and if you wanted to have a gym that's actually challenging (remember most people have endgame-level teams after the first week or two), you had to grind 5 or 6 mons to insane levels. But now, in ORAS, those problems have both been solved. Level grinding has become *much* easier thanks to the battle chateau in XY providing easy leveling (Whether or not a similar facility in ORAS exists is somewhat of a moot point, since you can level in XY and then bank the mons over), and StreetPass/PSS providing no shortage of challengers. (Yes, they fight against an AI with your team, but nothing's stopping you from having 6 level 100 Arceuses.)
I will definitely be taking advantage of this feature. I'm currently training a Porygon2, Klinklang, Metagross, Magnezone, Porygon-Z, and Mewtwo (SCIENCE! and yes I am using Mewtwo as my ace) to level 80-84; well above Wally's endgame team, but not crazy.

Will anyone else be making a Gym? If so, what will your team be? I look forward to potentially challenging Smogon's AI teams in... 17 days. I'm never gonna make it.
Thinking of making a gym too, but unsure of what to do with it (Leaning toward ghost or steel). If anything, I'm wondering if you can pass PokeRus to people with this--all the while making "EV Gyms" of 6 3-EV pokes (makes EV training ridiculously easy)--or give the pokes items to abuse trick/thief and get infinite of some item (infinite Lefties anyone? easy passing of rare berries/Maison Items?).

Big thing I'm wondering is how often you can rebattle the Secret Base Trainers (RSE had once per day, I think).

Thinking of making a gym too, but unsure of what to do with it (Leaning toward ghost or steel). If anything, I'm wondering if you can pass PokeRus to people with this--all the while making "EV Gyms" of 6 3-EV pokes (makes EV training ridiculously easy)--or give the pokes items to abuse trick/thief and get infinite of some item (infinite Lefties anyone? easy passing of rare berries/Maison Items?).

Big thing I'm wondering is how often you can rebattle the Secret Base Trainers (RSE had once per day, I think).
I don't think Trick/Thief works on Trainer mons anymore - you steal the item, but then after the battle you don't have it.
Also, I may be wrong, but I think EV gyms have been made obsolete by hordes.

I don't think Trick/Thief works on Trainer mons anymore - you steal the item, but then after the battle you don't have it.
EV training may be obsolete with hordes now, but maybe level grinding with Audinos could be a viable option?
I'm just super pumped about the Secret Bases having made a return since they were one of my absolute favorite aspects of RSE. I know I'll spend hours searching for the "perfect" base (assuming the locations and layouts have changed) and then hours more decorating it and whatnot.

EV training may be obsolete with hordes now, but maybe level grinding with Audinos could be a viable option?
I'm just super pumped about the Secret Bases having made a return since they were one of my absolute favorite aspects of RSE. I know I'll spend hours searching for the "perfect" base (assuming the locations and layouts have changed) and then hours more decorating it and whatnot.
Blissey actually yields the most EXP of any Pokémon, so prepare to train a ton of those with Healing Wish.

Nevertheless, it is 6 pokes rather than 5, and of any level, mind you. You could even take that as a challenge and make a gym where the pokes all give out one type of EV (but are still competent). It might be something I do, tbh. And it's not that hard either, I mean, a mono-speed gym could go like this:

Jolteon/Starmie/(Mega?)Aerodactyl/(Mega?)Sceptile/Greninja/Talonflame (all of which are pretty decent, mind you)

The one thing I hated about hordes was that they were inconsistent (some routes could have multiple hordes possible and summoning them was a PAIN, at least for me) and their levels were atrocious for experience. The way I see it, an EV gym kills two birds with one stone.

Nevertheless, it is 6 pokes rather than 5, and of any level, mind you. You could even take that as a challenge and make a gym where the pokes all give out one type of EV (but are still competent). It might be something I do, tbh. And it's not that hard either, I mean, a mono-speed gym could go like this:

Jolteon/Starmie/(Mega?)Aerodactyl/(Mega?)Sceptile/Greninja/Talonflame (all of which are pretty decent, mind you)

The one thing I hated about hordes was that they were inconsistent (some routes could have multiple hordes possible and summoning them was a PAIN, at least for me) and their levels were atrocious for experience. The way I see it, an EV gym kills two birds with one stone.
There are 100% chance rates of EV hordes for each stat in this game. i.e. there's a route where the only horde that appears is Shuppet, hence perfect Defence training route.

So.

I've built my Gym team months ago:

They are all level 100 and have only lost one battle since I finished the team back in June/July.
Can you earn the Venom Badge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)