Kabutops

Overview
########

One of the best Offensive Rapid Spinners in NU (competes with Offensive Cryo)
Great typing lets it check Fire-types very well
Faces competition from Feraligatr

Offensive Rapid Spin
########
name: Offensive Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Aqua Jet
ability: Swift Swim
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
Rapid Spin removes hazards :)
Aqua Jet revenge kills Typh / Pyroar. And can clean up late game
Stone Edge is your power move, 2HKOs Garbodor

Waterfall / Knock Off / Superpower

Set Details
========
Adamant is for the power, it gets an OHKO on SpD Roselia (although PhysDef is better) and guarantees a 2HKO on PhysDef Garbodor before SR.
Swift Swim is used because it allows Kabutops to counter-sweep Rain teams
Life Orb used to get the big power boost, needed to be offensively relevant

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========
F/W/G cores. Remove hazards for Fire-types, Grass-types cover your weaknesses.
Spikes-stacking teams in general. Works with Crustle, Accelgor because Kabutops can keep up offensive pressure very well
Works on Rain teams (Liepard, Uxie, Ludicolo)

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Aqua Jet
ability: Swift Swim
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
  • SD to boost your attack and sweep teams late game, or wall break early game.
  • Waterfall is used because it is STAB and accurate, main attack used to sweep
  • Stone Edge is used to hit Water-type resists and offer a bit more power vs Pokemon that +2 LO Waterfall doesnt beat (bulky Carracosta and Garbodor, also doesnt activate Rocky Helmet)
  • Aqua Jet is used to hit Faster Pokemon that can revenge kill you (Fire-types primarily), it can also be used to allow Kabutops to revenge kill other sweepers that are low on HP.
  • Can drop either Waterfall or Stone Edge for Knock Off to hit Ghosts harder (mainly Gourgeist) and still have great neutral coverage
  • Superpower can be used to muscle past Ferroseed

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Other Options
########
Natural Gift
Giga Drain / HP Fire
Weak Armor
Rock Polish
X-Scissor for Grass-types

Checks & Counters
########

Seismitoad
Ferroseed
Offensive Pressure
Gurdurr

This is really barebones rn cause ive been johningbusy. But I do have a question that I don't know the answer to. Should I split Kabutops up into 2 sets? One based around Rapid Spin, without a Waterfall slash, and then a 2nd set without Rapid Spin that is a straight up SD Sweeper? I'm leaning towards no, because the SD set plays quite similarly, and faces a lot of competition from Feraligatr, who is the better SD sweeper most of the time. But if people want it added I can do it. I'll add more to the skeleton tmrw :)

Soulgazer FLCL Montsegur
Moves
========
Stone Edge is your power move

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========
Spikes-stacking teams in general. Works with Crustle, Accelgor because Kabutops can keep up offensive pressure very well
Moves
========
Stone Edge is your power move

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Gourgeist should be in C&C since it can spinblock + hardwall Kabutops if it lacks Knock Off. Even if Tops does carry Knock Off, it cannot go for the KO immediately since SmallGeist outspeeds while SuperGeist survives the second Knock Off, forcing Tops out to potentially rack up enough residual damage on Tops (from hazards + LO) to prevent the spin anyway.

I'm more for putting it without Rapid Spin in OO if you have a weather setter only. Otherwise it's really not good for that. Those EVs are great tho 252 Atk only new meta? xD
Not Jolly? Are you sure about that? Rapid Spin should pull off the fastest Spin possible y/n?

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Personally I don't like Spin + SD very much. I think it has way too much 4MSS because the lack of Waterfall really sucks for it (no reliable STAB, and nothing to hit Fighters or something like Steelix on the switch with). Waterfall should definitely be first imo

I'd be okay if SD + 3 attacks gets its own set, it still has a niche over Gatr due to its Rock STAB being much stronger than Gatr's coverage (the latter is still better most of the time, but I think it has a big enough niche to be separated). I don't mind too much either way though

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Rapid Spin

Being a Rock-type that can check Ludicolo in Rain 100% of the time and outspeed Adamant Sawk / Adamant Zangoose / Kangaskhan outside of rain is honestly better than the boost in power that Adamant gives. Jolly LO Aqua Jet is around the same power as Feraligatr's Adamant Mystic Water Aqua Jet too (I think its a bit stronger, you would need to calc though), so its not like Kabutops becomes weak either. So yeah in my opinion if Kabutops is using Rapid Spin, it should use this. Superpower and Knock Off can stay in Moves too I guess, but since this set won't boost Kabutops won't really be able to touch Ground-types (I guess Superpower has the same BP when you factor Waterfall's STAB against neutral targets, but eh being walled by Sandslash kinda suck. Atleast you can do still do damage to Fighting-types and hit Ferroseed).

SD / Aqua Jet / Stone Edge / Rapid Spin is honestly not that good. I would be fine with a Swords Dance set (SD / Stone Edge / Aqua Jet / Waterfall | Superpower, Knock Off in Moves)

CB in OO

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ugh, this thing wants like 20 moves on one set. Im going to have to agree with the above set posted by Soulgazer. I would also like to see an offensive set with SD and no Rapid Spin listed second.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Lum slash on the set or at the very least mentioned in Set Details. I usually use Lum because I hate taking LO recoil from Rapid Spin. It's also nice to be able to take a stray Will-O-Wisp from spinblockers and to switch into Toxic Spikes and spin them away without being poisoned.

I agree with Soulgazer's set and think we could go afford to add an SD set. It's great on rain teams and works fine outside of them. Especially outside of rain, it has a huge niche over Feraligatr as an SD sweeper just by having its Normal and Flying resists, which can be hard to fit onto offensive teams unless you're using a different Spikes setter than Crustle or no Spikes setter and Golem or Rhydon as a Stealth Rock setter.

This isn't a major C&C but I think it should get a mention:

A lot of Fire-types in NU run Hidden Power Grass pretty commonly, such as Magmortar and Pyroar. This allows them to lure in and KO Kabutops with smart play. It can really affect your gameplan when Kabutops gets knocked out by an unforeseen HP Grass, as Kabutops usually makes up a key component of your team. He spins, supplies priority, and checks a lot of stuff in the tier. Just thought that should be mentioned

Also Stealth Rock on the Offensive Rapid Spin set might deserve a brief mention in OO (but it's not good because 4MSS)

This isn't a major C&C but I think it should get a mention:

A lot of Fire-types in NU run Hidden Power Grass pretty commonly, such as Magmortar and Pyroar. This allows them to lure in and KO Kabutops with smart play. It can really affect your gameplan when Kabutops gets knocked out by an unforeseen HP Grass, as Kabutops usually makes up a key component of your team. He spins, supplies priority, and checks a lot of stuff in the tier. Just thought that should be mentioned

Also Stealth Rock on the Offensive Rapid Spin set might deserve a brief mention in OO (but it's not good because 4MSS)
Kabutops is pressed for moveslots as is, but Stealth Rock is OO material, I guess.

bleh im not going to get this done, its to much work for someone lazy like me. So im going to drop this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)