ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero2exe

Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
is a Contributor Alumnus
So I finally got to one of the secret missions in the demo ("let's go somewhere secret" one) and a couple of tries later (seeking the nugget one now) I got the same secret mission randomly from the first option but against the other team, is this how it's supposed to work or did I just had an amazing RNG going there? lol

No offense but how do you plan to beat Scarf Lati@s ? Bar Sucker Punch from Toxicroak, the rest of the team seems to be helpless to it.
I never said it was the greatest Poison team ever made. It is, in the end, meant to be a fun Gym team. Also, you are underestimating my Scolipede. One Megahorn (without a Swords Dance) will OHKO and it is holding a Focus Sash, meaning that a Lati can't OHKO it. Finally, after one Speed Boost, Scolipede is actually faster (max speed for a Latios is 350 where my 'Pede has 355).

I never said it was the greatest Poison team ever made. It is, in the end, meant to be a fun Gym team. Also, you are underestimating my Scolipede. One Megahorn (without a Swords Dance) will OHKO and it is holding a Focus Sash, meaning that a Lati can't OHKO it. Finally, after one Speed Boost, Scolipede is actually faster (max speed for a Latios is 350 where my 'Pede has 355).
Looks like my stereotype of Scolipede = Baton Pass hurts me here since I forgot Scoli has Megahorn.
Speed Boost is one of the most broken ability ever imo, right up there with Shadow Tag, the weather abilities, Protean, the -ate abilities, Moody,Prankster, Multitype, Regenerator, Sheer Force, Magic Bounce and Multiscale.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Will anyone else be making a Gym? If so, what will your team be? I look forward to potentially challenging Smogon's AI teams in... 17 days. I'm never gonna make it.
I'm making a "Psuedo Dragon" Team, a team of Pokemon who look like dragons but aren't Dragon-types.

Some people were wondering about PSS icons if it turns out that trainer customisation isn't coming back, has anybody mentioned the possibility that we can dress up in contests and use that as our PSS icon? Because that would be incredibly cool and would totally make up for no trainer customisation.
There's only one costume for Contests apparently (though honestly both characters should have gotten at least 5 costumes, one for each Contest). Don't forget you can also use a class trainer's face which will provide some more diversity.

I've built my Gym team months ago:

They are all level 100 and have only lost one battle since I finished the team back in June/July.
Can you earn the Venom Badge?
Sadly, most people will because the AI will be controlling it. I've tried this gym leader thing in XY. It's easy. Just use your DS (1) and your cartridge (1) and borrow one from a friend (2). Trade your gym leader team to cartridge 2 and challenge cartridge 1 for a battle. Run from the battle and save the video. Cartridge 1 will be able to challenge the gym leader team from cartridge 2 any time with the party you have at the moment of the challenge. And unfortunately the AI is incredibly predictble. It took me a team full of water type NU (Crawdaunt as the only one from a higher tier) to lose to a dragon team with both Dialga and Palkia (I had to sacrifice so much to beat the first one the second one would sweep the rest of my team). Other than that, there's always a way around it.

Oh, and NEVER give your gym leader team a choice item. I made that mistake. The AI probably won't switch out unless they're facing something immune to the attack, so the opponent can just switch in something resistant and boost itself. Gym leader challenges are much less exciting than they sound when the AI is in charge of them.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Charizard-Y, Aerodactyl, and Gyarados, but what else could that be?
Well, we're going to be a bit loose with the term "dragon" here, pretty much any reptilian serpent, dinosaur, and Pokemon in an Egg Group will count (as well as Ampharos since it can Mega Evolve into a part Dragon-type).

Charizard (Charizard Y would be my Mega), Arbok, Gyarados, Lapras, Aerodactyl, Meganium, Ampharos, Tyranitar, Sceptile, Seviper, Milotic, Tropius, Rampardos, Bastiodon, Rhyperior, Serperior, Scrafty, Archeops, Heliolisk, and Aurorus.

Also thinking maybe crocodile/alligator Pokemon like Feraligatr and Krookodile since those are ancient animals and reptilian?

As for the name of by badge, maybe the Wyvern/Wyrm Badge?

Looks like my stereotype of Scolipede = Baton Pass hurts me here since I forgot Scoli has Megahorn.
Speed Boost is one of the most broken ability ever imo, right up there with Shadow Tag, the weather abilities, Protean, the -ate abilities, Moody,Prankster, Multitype, Regenerator, Sheer Force, Magic Bounce and Multiscale.
That's a LOT of abilities to put in the "most broken category", and barely any of them even seem that broken imo.

I'm just gonna make theme teams for my Gym. Now what can I do for a Doctor Who team...

Yeah. Because the game is definitely going to let you make your own badge.

The term "gym" in "Super Secret Base Gym" is mostly there for aesthetics. I doubt that they'll have any way to keep track of whose NPC you've won against, like they do with badges in the main game. Your secret base is going to function a bit more like a personal challenge made in a level editor.

That was cute, though.

Gym teams?
I might make a Stallcore team for a gym team.

Where does it say we can make our own badges?
That never happened. Why do people think that they can suddenly give out badges?
For me the idea of having a "gym" in your secret base sounds like some fun little thing to do with a friend.

Last edited:

The term "gym" in "Super Secret Base Gym" is mostly there for aesthetics. I doubt that they'll have any way to keep track of whose NPC you've won against, like they do with badges in the main game.

That was cute, though.
Well, no, there won't be an in game badge, so it is purely for the sake of wish fulfillment. I fully agree with you there. However, if the battles videos could be saved, it wouldn't be such a stretch that if people were willing to build the teams, then maybe there could be a thread here were badges could be earned by showing proof of victory, if there are people who would want to take it that far. I'm sure that if there's interest, then gym's could be registered in a thread, and an unofficial gym league could tracked that way, or something. I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas out there, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this pop up by the end of the year, anyway.

All I know, is that there will likely be a demand for level 100 Blisseys with hindering natures in and zero IVs in defense, who only know Healing Wish.

Well, no, there won't be an in game badge, so it is purely for the sake of wish fulfillment. However, if the battles videos could be saved, it wouldn't be such a stretch that if people were willing to build the teams, then maybe there could be a thread here were badges could be earned by showing proof of victory, if there are people who would want to take it that far. I'm sure that if there's interest, then gym's could be registered in a thread, and an unofficial gym league could tracked that way, or something. I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas out there, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this pop up by the end of the year, anyway.
When people discovered Friend Safaris, smogon made a pastebin for Friend Codes. Making a file to keep track of Secret Base QR codes definitely sounds like something that would happen here and that's fine.
I wouldn't mind seeing the roleplaying aspect of "beat my gym challenge" when the games are actually out. For now, though, while there are still things that hackers haven't confirmed through the data dump, I'm worried that some unlearned child will read comments like "Earn the Venom Badge" and take it the wrong way.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I'm just gonna make theme teams for my Gym. Now what can I do for a Doctor Who team...
Well you need to have at least Celebi in that case. :P

The term "gym" in "Super Secret Base Gym" is mostly there for aesthetics. I doubt that they'll have any way to keep track of whose NPC you've won against, like they do with badges in the main game. Your secret base is going to function a bit more like a personal challenge made in a level editor.

That was cute, though.
We know that. :P We all know that if people were given free reign to make badges their would be a ton of Penis Badges within the first day. Because we can't have nice things.

There are 100% chance rates of EV hordes for each stat in this game. i.e. there's a route where the only horde that appears is Shuppet, hence perfect Defence training route.
While Shuppet grants attack, I get your point 100%. The thing is, the hordes aren't exactly of the best level--typically below that of the route so as not to wreck you if you encounter them during the ingame. Beyond that, I wasn't really saying that it was the best way to EV train, just a possibility (that also grants a boatload of EXP). For me, at least, I found it annoying to go into the menu and constantly trigger sweet scent/honey every time, which is why I was part of the group that still used super training (don't judge). I think that the secret base trainer will also grant money as well (don't quote me on that), so while EV gyms aren't as efficient as hordes, they have other benefits (and can be fun to build too).

Sadly, most people will because the AI will be controlling it. I've tried this gym leader thing in XY. It's easy. Just use your DS (1) and your cartridge (1) and borrow one from a friend (2). Trade your gym leader team to cartridge 2 and challenge cartridge 1 for a battle. Run from the battle and save the video. Cartridge 1 will be able to challenge the gym leader team from cartridge 2 any time with the party you have at the moment of the challenge. And unfortunately the AI is incredibly predictble. It took me a team full of water type NU (Crawdaunt as the only one from a higher tier) to lose to a dragon team with both Dialga and Palkia (I had to sacrifice so much to beat the first one the second one would sweep the rest of my team). Other than that, there's always a way around it.

Oh, and NEVER give your gym leader team a choice item. I made that mistake. The AI probably won't switch out unless they're facing something immune to the attack, so the opponent can just switch in something resistant and boost itself. Gym leader challenges are much less exciting than they sound when the AI is in charge of them.
Since the Battle Video is saved on the 3DS, not the card, all you need to do is switch 3DSes.
Also, I don't use Choice items usually anyway. I don't like being locked into moves. Plus, I actually saw that recently with a Talonflame using Flare Blitz on my Vaporeon. I figured it had to be Choiced into it.

As for the name of by badge, maybe the Wyvern/Wyrm Badge?
Go with Wyvern.
That's a LOT of abilities to put in the "most broken category", and barely any of them even seem that broken imo.

Celebi named "The Doctor" (I named the Bank Celebi that) and a Dialga "TARDIS".
You know I'm right.

That was cute, though.
I know that. That's why I made my own:

Behold the Venom Badge!

Celebi named "The Doctor" (I named the Bank Celebi that) and a Dialga "TARDIS".
You know I'm right.
Please; the Dialga gets the name 'Master'~
I guess Magnezone would be my best hope for a Dalek... Bisharp for a Cyberman, anyone? Makes sense since they're supposed to be equally threatening but Daleks just wreck Cybermen anyway. I might just end up going for two teams though; one for doctors 1-6 and another for 7-11 (war included)

ANYWAY. With the whole Gym Leader Roleplaying thing, perhaps the locations of your secret bases should also be considered? Like you could totally have one in the bit before Meteor Falls; we could get really creative with this.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Why are people so psyched for their own Gyms anyway? The AI is too stupid to make the fights fun, so just battle your friends with themed teams over WiFi if you want to have your roleplaying fix.

Why are people so psyched for their own Gyms anyway? The AI is too stupid to make the fights fun, so just battle your friends with themed teams over WiFi if you want to have your roleplaying fix.
We get to actually make the Gym itself. That's what makes it fun. True, we have to have an AI surrogate, but that's what level 100 Pokémon are for.

Please; the Dialga gets the name 'Master'~
Or you could name it
Missy.

But in all honesty, Dialga's blue, just like the TARDIS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)