NU Steelix

I don't see a harm in adding Thunder Fang to OO, but I'd agree with Punchshroom, it deals with water/flying types slightly better than rock slide, but rock slide still does does plenty against stuff like Mantine. Pelliper doesn't get KO'd by Thunder Fang regardless.

Also, Dat Blast, I started this during my summer break, and now its nearing finals season, so I've gotten a lot more busy. I'll start working on the write-up right now, please excuse my unresponsiveness.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
But my closing argument is this: that neutral coverage and SE hit on rotom-s just isn't as valuable as the ability to potentially muscle past your best counter.
Using Thunder Fang means that Rotom replaces Pelipper as LO Steelix's hardest counter, and since Rotom is far more relevant than any Water-/Flying-type, Crunch is more noteworthy than Thunder Fang. Rock Slide is the best overall compromise since it hits all of Rotom, Rotom-S, and Water-/Flying-types for decent damage.

My closing argument: hitting Pelipper is not worth losing out on hitting Rotom (and to a lesser extent, Rotom-S) since the latter is far more common. Thunder Fang can go in OO as an alternative for LO Steelix whose teammates struggle much less with Rotom than Pelipper, but that would be pretty unlikely.

boltsandbombers yeah that is pretty much what I implied, or even explicitly stated previously.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Using Thunder Fang means that Rotom replaces Pelipper as LO Steelix's hardest counter, and since Rotom is far more relevant than any Water-/Flying-type, Crunch is more noteworthy than Thunder Fang. Rock Slide is the best overall compromise since it hits all of Rotom, Rotom-S, and Water-/Flying-types for decent damage.

My closing argument: hitting Pelipper is not worth losing out on hitting Rotom (and to a lesser extent, Rotom-S) since the latter is far more common. Thunder Fang can go in OO as an alternative for LO Steelix whose teammates struggle much less with Rotom than Pelipper, but that would be pretty unlikely.
I would just like to point this out, that Pelipper is not really that common in NU. Sure, it has a great defensive typing that walls Steelix without Thunder Fang, but OO is perfectly fine for that.
NU - 1630 stat:
| 112 | Pelipper | 1.01305% | 3725 | 0.947% | 3108 | 0.980% |

This is done. Apologies for taking so long, I had finals all of last week, but am finally back for the holidays.
Also, I'm not mentioning the Mega-evo, because it's going to get banned soon enough, if Steelix doesn't get moved up a tier anyways.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
This is done. Apologies for taking so long, I had finals all of last week, but am finally back for the holidays.
Also, I'm not mentioning the Mega-evo, because it's going to get banned soon enough, if Steelix doesn't get moved up a tier anyways.
It is highly unlikely Steelixite will end up banned, while I can't say for sure if RU will be even taking Steelix from us. How I expect this to work for now is that you proceed this Steelix analysis as it currently is (relative to the XY NU meta); then when the ORAS NU meta stabilises (most likely after the tier changes occur), only then would a new Steelix analysis including Steelixite be prepared.

Otherwise yeah, carry on what you were doing (aka waiting for GP checks); posting and linking your analysis here would help speed up the process.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
this analyse is old (since it took a while), and after reading this, the team options are not good anymore.

sorry for making you do even more stuff :(

in Wall's set details:

68 Attack EVs give you a good chance of KOing both Electivire with Earthquake and Steelix with Heavy Slam.
remove that. Not worth it since Evire pmuch always run LO or cant touch you (if physical) so it doesn't rly matter to be able to OHKO from full. also heavy slam hitting steelix? thats probably a typo, but either way remove that anyway.

One of Steelix's primary roles is to set up Stealth Rock. As such, pokemon which can deal with rapid spinners and defoggers are great teammates. For example, Drifblim and Mismagius are great teammates, with will-o-wisp to weaken physical attackers. Also, they are immune to ground and fighting attacks, two of Steelix's weaknesses.
Specially defensive pokemon are also great allies, given Steelix's lack of special bulk. Dragalge and Cryogonal are great in this respect. Mantine is also specially defensive and has perfect defensive synergy wih Steelix as far as resistances go. Vileplume, albeit a physically defensive pokemon, deals with Water and Fighting types well, although they chare a weakness to fire type pokemon. Lastly, A little wish support goes a long way to preserving Steelix, given its lack of recovery.
Drifblim is a bad exemple. Rotom could be in that role but would be redundant, so obv dont mention rotom. mention gourgheist instead. ground/fighting type resist and can spread burns/leech seed around. leech seed in particuliar could even help steelix switch on like dark types more easily too for gourgheist.

Spdef allies? idk man. its more about defensive synergy. you need a water-type switch in when you use steelis. i mean cryo/drag works, but i don't think specially defensive allies is the best way to describe those lol. you would want more too. Add lots more of fire-type resists/checks. audino, lanturn, stuff like that. Mantine isnt that great btw. like, ik it has nice synergy, but outside of that doesn't really give much for stall and balance teams most of the time and theres way better options for defog. Team Options should mostly be Stall teammates / some balance teammates (wall steelix can be nice on some balance as a glue).

Team Options
========
Physical Sweepers like Feraligatr and Klinklang are good teammates since they can take advantage of the damage Steelix does to their counters, turning 2KOs into KOs. As far as defensive synergy goes, the same goes for this set as for the wall set. Specially bulky pokemon like Dragalge and Cryogonal. Mantine is specially defensive and has perfect defensive synergy wih Steelix as far as resistances go. Furthermore, grass types are good teammates, threatening the water types which will often switch in on Steelix. And of course, due to the lack of recovery, a little wish support can help Steelix immensely.
I probably missed that last time I checked and regret it now. why is mantine there w/ the offensive set? with this set's team option you should talk about more offensive teammates. no need for spdef walls or mantine; go with offensive synergy/stuff that likes steelix walling klinklang/archeops/kanga while being able to check rotom/slurpuff etc in 1 slot. talk about teammates that love that coverage too. lilligant/sceptile looks nice since steelix shits on poison-types too. gatr like fire fang variants (even tfang variants for the pelippers). even gurdurr works well since steelix shits on fairy types/poison types and handle psychic-types. You probably get the idea by now :o

attacker's set details:
There's no need for investment in defense given Steelix's massive defense stat. Using a Life orb allows you to do a ton of damage, although a Choice Band could be used as well.
Choice Band Stealth Rock? just remove the CB mention.

in checks and counters:

**Defog**: Pelliper, Swanna, and Mantine can scare Steelix out with water moves while also using Defog to remove entry hazards. They should all be wary of taking a rock slide or thunder fang, however.

**Rapid Spin**: Similarly, Sandslash has the bulk to take whatever Steelix throws at it and Rapid Spin away rocks, while also hitting it with SE EQs.
put those together.. and honestly idt those are even a problems lol. if anything entry hazards themself are annoying for steelix since Spikes limits Steelix's survibability by a lot and can stop it from handling threats easily.

**Special attackers**: Special attackers can easily KO Steelix. In particular, water types like Samurott and Seismitoad will force Steelix out every time they switch in. **Strong Physical attackers**: Super effeective STAB attacks will wear Steelix down quickly given its lack of recovery - Sawk and Hariyama are great examples of pokemon which will get through Steelix.
just change whole thing. give a bulletpoint for: waters, fire, ground, fighting, and then special attackers that can give steelix some issues (grass-types, specs rotom can be annoying, stuff like that).

coolking49 tag me/vm me if you have any questions

edit: oh and pls change order of the stuff in OO. Rock Polish should be at very top, not at the bottom. Protect should be around the top too: actually, it should be in the wall's moves (just moves, no slash on the main set). Protect can be really good when steelix is on a team that doesn't need it to phaze. scouting AND giving it a way to recover health is always nice.

Why'd you guys have to ban slurpuff right before I got this done? - Slurpuff mentions have been removed. Same with Sceptile.

Anyways, I made all the changes you mentioned, Soulgazer. This is ready for a GP check.

Heya, here's a am check I did n_n
add / remove / Capitalize or lowercase

With a base 200 Defense of 200, it's(add apostrophe) no surprise that Steelix acts as one of the best physical walls in the NU tier. With Due to its ten resistances, Steelix is capable of shutting down common physical threats like such as Slurpuff, Swellow, and Sneasel. Furthermore, with access to Stealth Rock and hazing moves, Steelix offers valuable support to teams Steelix has access to Stealth Rock and phazing moves, (AC) offering valuable support to teams. That being said However, its 4 four resistances are very common, and it has a lackluster Special Defense stat. Combined with its lack of real recovery, Steelix can be worn down very quickly if used incorrectly.

Wall
########
name: Wall
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Roar / Dragon Tail
move 4: Heavy Slam / Gyro Ball
ability: Sturdy
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
nature: Careful / Sassy

Moves
========
Steelix is one of the most reliable users of Stealth Rock in the tier, and given the moves overall utility, there's no reason not to run it. Earthquake is Steelix's primary STAB move, to go with your steel type move of choice pair with either Steel-type move. The two of them These two moves threaten a majority of the Pokemon that Steelix walls. While the choice of Heavy Slam or Gyro Ball is up to the user.,(RP)(AC) they both have similar damage outputs against most threats. Gyro Ball, which has a power based on the speed descrepency, does more damage against Pokemon like Scyther, Haunter, and most choice scarf wielders,; whereas Heavy Slam, based on weight descrepency, does more against Pokemon such as Granbull. Since Heavy Slam has a higher pp, and hence it is the reccomended recommended choice. The last move is a phazing move. Roar can be used to go through substitute and hit fairies,;(RC)(add semicolon) but while Dragon Tail hits Soundproof Pokemon and Xatu, as well as doing some damage. Phazing moves let you force a boosted threat out even if you can't KO it.,(RP)(AC) It while also lets you rack racking up passive damage by switiching switching in random and potentially ineffective Pokemon.

Set Details
========
The EVs maximize overall bulk, as Steelix's physical bulk doesn't need a huge boost. Even with minimal Defense investment Steelix still takes most physical hits like a rock. Leftovers give Steelix passive recovery, as it has no other form of recovery. Both natures listed boost Special Defense.,(RP)(AC) You should use a Sassy nature with Gyro Ball and or a Careful nature without it. If you do choose to use Gyro Ball, you should also set your speed IV to 0. Lastly, given the set, Sturdy is the only ability which has any given use,.(RC)(AP) despite the fact that hopefully Steelix is going to need to use it.

Usage Tips
========

Steelix has a very simple job:(remove colon) which is deal dealing with physical attackers. It should switch into Pokemon which can't damage it, and then respond with an attack or a support option. It Steelix really shouldn't stay in on a against most special attacker attackers, however, as most special attacks will do significant damage to it despite the investment in special defense. This is especially pertinent as Steelix has no way of healing off that damage. Keep in mind that a few of the Pokemon Steelix can stop, like Slurpuff and Electivire, can run special or mixed sets, so be careful when switching into such threats. This set can also stop most Uxie and Mespirit Mesprit's, although beware of getting tricked a choice item. Steelix has a variety of usable EV spreads, and thus you can change it based on what you want to stop. For example 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD and a Relaxed nature lets you focus on physical bulk while also keeping some special bulk.

Team Options
========
One of Steelix's primary roles is to set up Stealth Rock. As such, Pokemon which can deal with rapid spinners and defoggers are great teammates appreciated. For example Pokemon such as, Gourgeist and Mismagius are great teammates, with Will-O-Wisp to weaken physical attackers. Also, They are also immune to Ground-(add hyphen) and Fighting-(add hyphen) type attacks, two of Steelix's weaknesses. Specially defensive Pokemon are also great allies, given Steelix's lack of special bulk. Dragalge and Cryogonal are great in this respect.,(RP)(AC) Lanturn is another good teammate given its ability to scare both fire and water types out. Vileplume, albeit a physically defensive Pokemon, deals with Water-(add hyphen) and Fighting-(add hyphen) types well, although they chare share a weakness to fire type Pokemon. Lastly, A a little wish support goes a long way to preserving Steelix, given its lack of recovery,.(RC)(AP) so a pokemon like Audino would be a good fit with Steelix.

Bulky Attacker
########
name: Bulky Attacker
move 1: Iron Head
move 3: Crunch / Rock Slide
move 4: Stealth Rock
ability: Sheer Force
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 HP / 252 Att Atk / 4 SpD
nature: Adamant / Brave

Moves
========
Earthquake and Iron Head are your two main STABs on this set, Iron Head being boosted by Sheer Force. The third attacking move depends on what you want to hit; Crunch does more damage to Rotom and the floating Psychic pixies,(AC) whereas Rock Slide hits Flying-(add hyphen) types like Pelipper, Mantine, and Rotom fan Rotom-Fan. You could also run Fire Fang or Thunder Fang can be used to hit Ferroseed or Water/Flying Water / Flying types, but the lack of power leaves these options is dissapointing disappointing more often than not. The last move in this set should still be Stealth Rock, as it still provides great team support.

Set Details
========
The EVs maximize attack and overall bulk. There's no need for investment in defense given Steelix's massive base Defense stat. Using a Life orb allows you to do a ton tons of damage, while not locking you into moves. A Adamant nature gives you an attack boost. Finally while, Sheer Force boosts the power of most of your moves and makes the damage output of this set reasonable.

Usage Tips
========

Because of With Steelix's bulk, it is easy to find time for switch Steelix to switch in and start attacking. However, because it also has very clear counters, using it as part of a double switch is often a good idea. Steelix won't(add apostrophe) sweep very often, but it can clear holes that your other sweepers can make use of.

Team Options
========
Physical Sweepers like Feraligatr and Klinklang are good teammates since they can take advantage of the damage Steelix does to their counters, turning 2KOs 2HKOs into KOs. Grass-(add hyphen) types are good teammates, threatening the Water-(add hyphen) types which will often switch in on Steelix, while Steelix deals with Poison-(add hyphen) types. This makes sweepers like Lilligant are great teammate teammates for this reason. Fighting-(add hyphen) types also enjoy Steelix's ability to deal with Psychic-(add hyphen) and Fairy-(add hyphen) Pokemon, and thus Gurdurr and Hariyama work well with it. Normal-(add hyphen) and Bug-(add hyphen) type sweepers enjoy that Steelix deals with Rock-(add hyphen) and Steel-(add hyphen) types, so Tauros, Zangoose, and Scyther are good teammates as well. And of course Finally, due to the lack of recovery, a little wish support can help Steelix immensely.

Other Options
########
Steelix has a ton of other options, but most of them are no where near as good as the ones listed above. Rock polish is usable, but Steelix is still really slow even afterwards. Protect could be used with Sturdy to scout and to also regain more HP to utilize Sturdy after entry hazards. Explosion is an option, but will often fail to KO most Pokemon. The fact that the Custap Berry hasb't been released yet makes it significantly less useful. Fire Fang can be used to deal with Ferroseed, and it gains a Sheer Force boost, but doesn't offer much else as far as coverage goes. Stone edge is another attacking option, to deal with Flying-(add hyphen) types, but is weaker than Rock Slide if you have Sheer Force. Rocky Helmet could be used, but you need all the recovery you can get on most sets from Leftovers. Rock Head's only use is with Double Edge, which is nowhere near as powerful as your other moves. Toxic can be used to spread status, although there are often better choices for such a role. Curse would boost attack while making Gyro Ball even more powerful, but Steelix usually doesn't have time to set up before a special attacker switches in. There are also lots of viable EV spreads, depending on what your team needs. Remember that if you use sturdy, there's no point in trying to use an ev spread to survive a particular attack.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fire-(add hyphen) Types**: Pokemon like Typhlosion and Pyroar can outspeed and KO Steelix with super effective fire attacks.

**Water-(add hyphen) Types**: Water-(add hyphen) types like Samurott and Seismitoad will force Steelix out every time they switch in.

**Fighting-(add hyphen) Types**: Despite its sky high physical defense, STAB Fighting-(add hyphen) type moves will wear Steelix down quickly. Sawk and Hariyama are two pokemon which can use such moves.

**Ground-(add hyphen) Types**: A strong Earthquake will put a dent in Steelix.,(RP)(AC) so Ground-(add hyphen) types like Golurk are very hard for Steelix to get around.

**Special Attackers**: Any strong nuetral neutral special attack will take a chunk out of Steelix, so Pokemon like Specs Rotom, Lilligant, and Mismagius can all put a dent in Steelix cause serious problems.

**Burn**: Getting burned is annoying will cripple and leaves leave Steelix with very little to do as far as damage output is concerned.,(RP)(AC) and will It also slowly will KO you.

**Xatu**: If running roar, Xatu is a counter, since it can Roost off any damage and bounce back Stealth Rock, all while setting up with Calm Mind.

**Defog and Rapid Spin**: Pelliper Pelipper, Swanna, and Mantine can scare Steelix out with Water-(add hyphen) type moves while also using Defog to remove entry hazards. They should all be wary of taking a Rock Slide or Thunder Fang, however. Similarly, Sandslash has the bulk to take whatever Steelix throws at it and Rapid Spin away rocks, while also hitting it with super effective Earthquakes.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You also have a mention of Dragalge which has moved to RU by usage.

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1/2 :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

With a base 200 Defense stat, it's no surprise that Steelix is acts as one of the best physical walls in NU. Due to its ten resistances, Steelix is capable of shutting down common physical threats such as Swellow and Sneasel. Furthermore, Steelix has access to Stealth Rock and phazing moves, offering valuable support to teams. However, its four resistances weaknesses are very common, and it has a lackluster Special Defense stat. This, combined with its lack of real reliable recovery, means Steelix can be worn down very quickly if used incorrectly.

Wall
########

Moves
========
Steelix is one of the most reliable users of Stealth Rock in the tier, and given the move's overall utility, there's no reason not to run it. Earthquake is Steelix's primary STAB move, to pair with either Steel-type move. These two moves threatening a majority of the Pokemon that Steelix walls when paired with its Steel-type STAB move. (*) While the choice of Heavy Slam or Gyro Ball is up to the user, they both have similar damage outputs. Gyro Ball does deals more damage to faster against Pokemon such as like Scyther, Haunter, and most Choice Scarf wielders; whereas Heavy Slam deals does more to lighter against Pokemon such as Granbull. Since Heavy Slam has a higher pp, it is the recommended choice. The last move is a phazing move. Roar can be used to goes through Substitutes and hit Fairies, (semicolon to comma) while Dragon Tail hits Soundproof users and deals Pokemon, as well as doing some damage. Either of these phazing moves lets Steelix you force a boosted threat out even if you can't KO it, while also racking up passive damage by switching in random and potentially ineffective Pokemon. (move italicized sentences to *)

Set Details
========
The EVs maximize overall bulk, as Steelix's physical bulk doesn't need a huge boost: (colon) even with minimal Defense investment, (comma) Steelix can easily still takes most physical hits like a rock. Leftovers gives Steelix passive recovery, as it has no other form of recovery. Both natures listed boost Special Defense; use a Sassy nature with Gyro Ball or and a Careful nature without it. If you do choose to use Gyro Ball, you should also set your speed IV to give Steelix 0 Speed IVs. Lastly, Sturdy is the only ability which has with any given use.
(line break)
Usage Tips
========

Steelix has a very simple job, (comma) which is dealing with physical attackers. It should switch into Pokemon which that can't damage it, (remove comma) and then respond with an attack or a support option. Steelix shouldn't stay in against most special attackers, however, as most special attacks will do significant damage to it. This is especially pertinent as because Steelix has no way of healing off that damage. Keep in mind that a few of the Pokemon Steelix can stop, like Electivire, can run special or mixed sets, so be careful when switching into such threats. This set can also stop most Uxie and Mesprit's variants, although you need to beware of getting tricked a Choice item. Steelix has a variety of usable EV spreads, so and thus you can change it based on what you want to stop. For example, (comma) a spread of 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD and a Relaxed nature lets you Steelix focus more on physical bulk while also keeping some special bulk. (move italicized sentences to Set Details) (these sentences conflict with the statement in Other Options that there isn't any need to survive a particular attack if you use Sturdy)

Team Options
========
One of Steelix's primary roles is to set up Stealth Rock. As such, Pokemon which that can deal with Rapid Spinners and Defoggers are appreciated. Pokemon such as, Gourgeist and Mismagius are great teammates, with Will-O-Wisp to weaken physical attackers. They are also immune to Ground- and Fighting-type attacks, two of Steelix's weaknesses, respectively. Specially defensive Pokemon are also great allies, (remove comma) given Steelix's lack of special bulk. Cryogonal is great in this respect. Lanturn is another good teammate given its ability to scare both Fire- and Water-types fire and water types out. Vileplume deals with Water- and Fighting-types well, although they it shares a weakness to Fire with Steelix fire type Pokemon. Lastly, a little Wish support goes a long way to in preserving Steelix, (remove comma) given its lack of recovery.

Bulky Attacker
########
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

Moves
========
Earthquake and Iron Head are your Steelix's two main STAB moves on this set, Iron Head being boosted by Sheer Force. The third attacking move depends on what you want to hit; Crunch does more damage to Rotom, Uxie, and Mesprit and the floating Psychic pixies, whereas Rock Slide hits Flying-types like Pelipper, Mantine, and Rotom-SFan. Stone Edge is not used because Rock Slide is more accurate and, with Sheer Force, more powerful. Fire Fang or Thunder Fang can be used to hit Ferroseed or Water / Flying types, but the lack of power is disappointing more often than not. The last move in this set should be Stealth Rock, as it provides great team support.

Set Details
========
The EVs maximize Steelix's Attack and overall bulk. There's no need for investment in Defense given Steelix's massive base Defense stat. Using a Life Orb allows Steelix you to do tons of damage, (remove comma) while not locking it you into a moves. An Adamant nature gives Steelix you an attack boost, (comma) while Sheer Force boosts the power of most of its your moves and makes the damage output of this set reasonable.

Usage Tips
========

With Steelix's bulk, it is easy to switch in and start attacking. However, because it has very clear counters, using it as part of bringing it in through a double switch is often a good idea. Steelix won't sweep very often, but it can clear punch holes in the opposing team that your other sweepers can make use of.

Team Options
========
Physical sweepers like Feraligatr and Klinklang are good teammates since because they can take advantage of the damage Steelix does to their counters, turning 2HKOs into OHKOs. Grass-types such as Lilligant are good teammates, threatening the Water-types which will that often switch into on Steelix, while Steelix deals with Poison-types. This makes sweepers like Lilligant great teammates for this reason. Fighting-types also enjoy Steelix's ability to deal with Psychic- and Fairy-type Pokemon, so and thus Gurdurr and Hariyama work well with it. Normal- and Bug-type sweepers enjoy that Steelix deals with Rock- and Steel-types, so Tauros, Zangoose, and Scyther are good teammates as well. Finally, due to its the lack of recovery, a little Wish support can help Steelix immensely.

Other Options
########
Steelix has a ton of other options, but most of them are nowhere near as good as the ones listed. Rock Polish is usable, but Steelix is still really slow even afterwards. Protect + Leftovers could be used with Sturdy to scout and to also regain more HP lost to utilize Sturdy after entry hazards, allowing Steelix to use Sturdy again. Explosion is an option, (remove comma) but will often fail to KO most Pokemon, (remove comma) and is significantly less useful than it would be have been with a the unreleased Custap Berry. Fire Fang can be used to deal with Ferroseed, and it gains a Sheer Force boost, but doesn't offer much else as far as coverage goes. Stone edge is another attacking option, to deal with Flying-types, but is weaker than Rock Slide if you have Sheer Force. Rocky Helmet could be used, but you Steelix needs all the recovery it you can get from Leftovers. Rock Head's only use is with Double-Edge, which is nowhere near as powerful as Steelix's your other moves. Toxic can be used to spread status, although but there are often better choices for such a role, such as (examples). Curse would boosts Attack and Defense while making Gyro Ball even more powerful, but Steelix usually doesn't have time to set up before a special attacker switches in. Remember that if you use sturdy, there's no point in trying to use an ev spread to survive a particular attack.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fire-types**: Fire-type Pokemon like Typhlosion and Pyroar can outspeed and KO Steelix with super effective Fire-type attacks.

**Water-types**: Water-types like Samurott and Seismitoad will force Steelix out every time they switch in.

**Fighting-types**: Despite its sky-high physical defense, STAB Fighting-type moves will wear Steelix down quickly. Sawk and Hariyama are two Pokemon that which can use such moves.

**Ground-types**: A strong Earthquake will put a dent in Steelix, so Ground-types like Golurk are very hard for Steelix to get around.

**Special Attackers**: Any strong neutral special attack will take a chunk out of Steelix, so Pokemon like Choice Specs Rotom, Lilligant, and Mismagius can cause serious problems.

**Burn**: Getting burned will cripples Steelix by lowering its damage output and wearing it down and leave Steelix with very little to do as far as damage output is concerned, and will also slowly KO you.

**Xatu**: If Steelix is running Roar, Xatu is a counter, since because it can Roost off any damage and bounce back Stealth Rock, all while setting up with Calm Mind.

**Defog and Rapid Spin**: Pelipper, Swanna, and Mantine can scare Steelix out with Water-type moves while also using Defog to remove its entry hazards. They should all be wary of taking a Rock Slide or Thunder Fang, however. Similarly, Sandslash has the bulk to take whatever Steelix throws at it and Rapid Spin away Stealth Rockrocks, while also hitting it with super effective Earthquakes.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overview
########
With a base 200 Defense stat, it's no surprise that Steelix is one of the best physical walls in NU. Due to its ten resistances, Steelix is capable of shutting down common physical threats such as Swellow and Sneasel. Furthermore, Steelix has access to Stealth Rock and phazing moves, offering valuable support to teams. However, its four weaknesses are very common, and it has a lackluster Special Defense stat. This, combined with its lack of reliable recovery, means that Steelix can be worn down very quickly if used incorrectly.

Wall
########

Moves
========
Steelix is one of the most reliable users of Stealth Rock in the tier, and, (AC) given the move's overall utility, there's no reason not to run it. Earthquake is Steelix's primary STAB move, threatening a majority of the Pokemon that Steelix walls when paired with its Steel-type STAB move. While the choice of Heavy Slam or Gyro Ball is up to the user, they both have similar damage outputs. Gyro Ball deals more damage to faster Pokemon such as Scyther, Haunter, and most Choice Scarf wielders; whereas Heavy Slam deals more to lighter Pokemon such as Granbull. Since Because Heavy Slam has a higher pp PP, it is the recommended choice. Roar goes through Substitutes and hit Fairies, while Dragon Tail hits Soundproof users and deals some damage. Either of these phazing moves lets Steelix force a boosted threat out while also racking up passive damage by switching in random and potentially ineffective Pokemon.

Set Details
========
The EVs maximize overall bulk, as Steelix's physical bulk doesn't need a huge boost: (colon) (in the future please don't just CP checks) even with minimal Defense investment, (comma) Steelix can easily takes most physical hits. Leftovers gives Steelix passive recovery, as it has no other form of recovery. Both natures listed boost Special Defense; use a Sassy nature with Gyro Ball and a Careful nature without it. Steelix has a variety of usable EV spreads, so you can change it based on what you want to stop. For example, a spread of 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD and a Relaxed nature lets Steelix focus more on physical bulk while keeping some special bulk. If you do choose to use Gyro Ball, you should also give Steelix 0 Speed IVs. Lastly, Sturdy is the only ability with any use.

Usage Tips
========

Steelix has a very simple job, which is dealing with physical attackers. It should switch into Pokemon that can't damage it and then respond with an attack or a support option. Steelix shouldn't stay in against special attackers, however, as most special attacks will do significant damage to it. This is especially pertinent because Steelix has no way of healing off that damage. Keep in mind that a few of the Pokemon Steelix can stop, like Electivire, can run special or mixed sets, so be careful when switching into such threats. This set can also stop most Uxie and Mesprit variants, although you need to beware of getting tricked a Choice item.

Team Options
========
One of Steelix's primary roles is to set up Stealth Rock. As such, Pokemon that can deal with Rapid Spinners Spin users and Defoggers are appreciated. Gourgeist and Mismagius are great teammates, as they have access to with Will-O-Wisp to weaken physical attackers. (remove period) They and are also immune to Ground- and Fighting-type attacks, two of Steelix's weaknesses, respectively. Specially defensive Pokemon such as Cryogonal are also great allies given Steelix's lack of special bulk. Cryogonal is great in this respect. Lanturn is another good teammate given its ability to scare both Fire- and Water-types out. Vileplume deals with Water- and Fighting-types well, although it shares a weakness to Fire with Steelix. Lastly, a little Wish support goes a long way in preserving Steelix given its lack of recovery.

Bulky Attacker
########
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

Moves
========
Earthquake and Iron Head are Steelix's two main STAB moves on this set, with Iron Head being boosted by Sheer Force. The third attacking move depends on what you want to hit; Crunch does more damage to Rotom, Uxie, and Mesprit, whereas Rock Slide hits Flying-types like such as Pelipper, Mantine, and Rotom-S. Stone Edge is not used because Rock Slide is more accurate and, with Sheer Force, more powerful. Fire Fang or Thunder Fang can be used to hit Ferroseed or Water / Flying types (do you mean Pokemon that have both of these types, like Pelipper, or Water-type Pokemon and Flying-type Pokemon? If you mean the latter, use "or Water- and Flying-types"), but the lack of power is disappointing. The last move in this set should be Stealth Rock, as it provides great team support.

Set Details
========
The EVs maximize Steelix's Attack and overall bulk. There's no need for investment in Defense given Steelix's massive base Defense stat. Using a Life Orb allows Steelix to do tons of damage while not locking itself into a one move. An Adamant nature gives Steelix an Attack boost, while Sheer Force boosts the power of most of its moves and makes the damage output of this set reasonable.

Usage Tips
========
(remove empty line) With Steelix's bulk, it is easy to switch in and start attacking. However, because it has very clear counters, bringing it in through a double switch is often a good idea. Steelix won't sweep very often, but it can punch holes in the opposing team that your other sweepers can make use of.

Team Options
========
Physical sweepers like Feraligatr and Klinklang are good teammates because they can take advantage of the damage Steelix does to their counters, turning 2HKOs into OHKOs. Grass-types such as Lilligant are good teammates, threatening the Water-types that often switch into Steelix, while Steelix deals with the Poison-types that threaten them. Fighting-types also enjoy Steelix's ability to deal with Psychic- and Fairy-type Pokemon, so Gurdurr and Hariyama work well with it. Normal- and Bug-type sweepers enjoy that Steelix deals with Rock- and Steel-types, so Tauros, Zangoose, and Scyther are good teammates as well. Finally, due to its lack of recovery, a little Wish support can help Steelix immensely.

Other Options
########
Steelix has a ton of other options, but most of them are nowhere near as good as the ones listed. Rock Polish is usable, but Steelix is still too really slow after using it even afterwards. Protect + Leftovers could be used with Sturdy to scout and regain HP lost to entry hazards, allowing Steelix to use Sturdy again. Explosion is an option, (AC) but it will often fail to KO most Pokemon and (add spaces between words) is significantly less useful than it would be with the unreleased Custap Berry. Rocky Helmet could be used, but Steelix needs all the recovery it can get from Leftovers. Rock Head's only use is with Double-Edge, which is nowhere near as powerful as Steelix's other moves. (What? Double-Edge has 120 Base Power?) Toxic can be used to spread status, but there are often better choices for such a role, such as Sandslash or Seismitoad. Curse boosts Steelix's Attack and Defense while making Gyro Ball even more powerful, but Steelix usually doesn't have time to set up before a special attacker switches in.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fire-types**: Fire-type Pokemon like such as Typhlosion and Pyroar can outspeed and KO Steelix with their super effective Fire-type attacks.

**Water-types**: Water-types like such as Samurott and Seismitoad force Steelix out every time they switch in.

**Fighting-types**: Despite its sky-high physical defense, STAB Fighting-type moves from Pokemon such as Sawk and Hariyama will wear Steelix down quickly. Sawk and Hariyama are two Pokemon that can use such moves.

**Ground-types**: A strong Earthquake will put a dent in Steelix, so Ground-types like such as Golurk are very hard for Steelix to get around.

**Special Attackers**: Any strong neutral special attack will take a chunk out of Steelix's health, so Pokemon like special attackers such as Choice Specs Rotom, Lilligant, and Mismagius can cause serious problems.

**Burn**: Getting burned cripples Steelix by lowering its damage output and wearing it down.

**Xatu**: If Steelix is running Roar, Xatu is a counter because (add spaces) it can Roost off any damage and bounce back Stealth Rock, all while setting up with Calm Mind.

**Defog and Rapid Spin**: Pelipper, Swanna, and Mantine can scare Steelix out with Water-type moves while also using and use Defog to remove its entry hazards. They should all be wary of taking a Rock Slide or Thunder Fang, however. Similarly, Sandslash has the bulk to take whatever Steelix throws at it and Rapid Spin away Stealth Rock while also hitting it with super effective Earthquakes.

2/2

Last edited:
Done. Completed. 2/2 :)

Winry. I did mean Water/Flying types like Swanna and Pelliper (rock slide or Earthquake are more powerful against normal ones). Also, Double Edge is still weaker than STAB boosted Earthquake, and the other moves should only be used when Super Effective, which double edge would never be. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)