Serious How much racism does it qualify to be "hate speech"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Well, every single dog meat related petition on facebook attracts racists (towards Asians).

I tried reporting some of their comments, but after facebook staff reviewed them, they decided they aren't removing them.

Leaves me baffled as to how much racism is required in order for a comment to be forcefully removed?

Are comments such as "such a cruel race", "don't visit any of those Asian countries" not racist enough?

Stratos

Banned deucer.
it's not 'how much racism?,' hate speech means that you are threatening or intimidating. for example i can say 'black people are genetically inferior' as much as i want but i can never say 'today is national punch a niggger day'

google is ur friend

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I know in Canada the line is drawn at the point in what you're saying becomes harmful to the public (for instance, promoting racist ideas in a classroom) wilfully promotes hatred of an identifiable group. So for instance, I can say in public "fuck white / black / asian / brown / jewish / arab people", and at worst I'll get my ass kicked, but I'm not technically breaking the law. But if I were to be standing on a street corner, preaching this shit, and inviting people to join a group of racial supremacists, I'd now be breaking the law! Also, if I were to be releasing publications with this sort of speech, it would also be illegal.
The rules in this case are at a national level, and based upon interpretations of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 1: Reasonable Limits, and applying them to s2(b) Freedom of Speech. It wasn't always this way though, it was more or less out of the mind of the public until the early 90's, when two landmark cases, R. v. Andrews, and R. v. Keegstra, were brought to the Supreme Court, and it was ruled that speech communicating hatred towards an identifiable group is unconstitutional.
It's an interesting line between freedom of speech, and protecting social welfare, and many people criticize it, but I for one think it's a great rule. For one, it does allow making hate comments in a private conversation, so people can still be racists and have those sort of discussions, but it has to be away from the public. On the other hand, it keeps that sort of speech away from the public sphere, and helps reduce the spread of that sort of toxic thinking. So in the case of facebook comments, if we applied these same rules, it would first have to be determined whether or not facebook comments would be considered public or not, and a few other determining rules.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
I know in Canada the line is drawn at the point in what you're saying becomes harmful to the public (for instance, promoting racist ideas in a classroom) wilfully promotes hatred of an identifiable group. So for instance, I can say in public "fuck white / black / asian / brown / jewish / arab people", and at worst I'll get my ass kicked, but I'm not technically breaking the law. But if I were to be standing on a street corner, preaching this shit, and inviting people to join a group of racial supremacists, I'd now be breaking the law! Also, if I were to be releasing publications with this sort of speech, it would also be illegal.
The rules in this case are at a national level, and based upon interpretations of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 1: Reasonable Limits, and applying them to s2(b) Freedom of Speech. It wasn't always this way though, it was more or less out of the mind of the public until the early 90's, when two landmark cases, R. v. Andrews, and R. v. Keegstra, were brought to the Supreme Court, and it was ruled that speech communicating hatred towards an identifiable group is unconstitutional.
It's an interesting line between freedom of speech, and protecting social welfare, and many people criticize it, but I for one think it's a great rule. For one, it does allow making hate comments in a private conversation, so people can still be racists and have those sort of discussions, but it has to be away from the public. On the other hand, it keeps that sort of speech away from the public sphere, and helps reduce the spread of that sort of toxic thinking. So in the case of facebook comments, if we applied these same rules, it would first have to be determined whether or not facebook comments would be considered public or not, and a few other determining rules.
Very good points. To elaborate, in R vs. Keegstra, Keegstra was a school teacher who taught his students that the Holocaust was fabricated by the Jews to gain sympathy among other anti-semetic things. He was originally convicted of hate speech but he appealed that his freedom of speech was violated, he was cleared but then he was later re-convicted. So at least in Canada, by this precedent you could certainly argue that those posts are illegal but it would be hard to say whether or not that would fly in court.

Well, every single dog meat related petition on facebook attracts racists (towards Asians).

I tried reporting some of their comments, but after facebook staff reviewed them, they decided they aren't removing them.

Leaves me baffled as to how much racism is required in order for a comment to be forcefully removed?

Are comments such as "such a cruel race", "don't visit any of those Asian countries" not racist enough?
That's interesting, because one time I was responding to a graphic somebody posted about suspecting muslims or something along those lines. I wanted to see what kind of reactions I would get if I jokingly suggested that all muslims be deported and that I should get thumbs up for being a good American. Funny thing is, the post did get some likes but was removed shortly after.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
That's interesting, because one time I was responding to a graphic somebody posted about suspecting muslims or something along those lines. I wanted to see what kind of reactions I would get if I jokingly suggested that all muslims be deported and that I should get thumbs up for being a good American. Funny thing is, the post did get some likes but was removed shortly after.
Maybe because it sounds like genocide which is a more serious issue than not to visit some countries?

In the US, with all of the speech freedom, it takes a lot more to cross the line. There is also a general racial bias that I have observed lately. Some of these boundaries can also be very subjective as certain people draw the line at different places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)