ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So, aside from the Battle Maison (sorry guys, GameFreak seem pretty adamant about not having ANYTHING from Emerald in the remakes because... well honestly I'd say due to time. They pushed these games out pretty quickly. Being Nintendo is now starting to experiment with DLC we could get it in an expansion pack), what else would be in the Battle Resort if the Move Tutors are in Mauville?
Game Freak has explicitly stated they are not into DLC* and do not plan on using it in the future; people seriously need to shut up about it. It'd also be a huge dick move on GF's part to force us to pay extra money for the part of the game everyone not named R_N really wants.

*Event Legends don't count because they're a) Already in the game and b) Completely free.

Both reviewers mention post-game surprises (although the other seemed either less hopeful or just lock-jawed due to the review/play embargo), so we'll just have to wait and see what that means.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Last edited:
IGN Pokemon reviews:

Pokemon Red/Blue: 10.0
Pokemon Gold/Silver: 10.0
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire: 9.5
Pokemon Emerald: 8.0
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl: 8.5
Pokemon Platinum: 8.8
Pokemon HG/SS: 8.5
Pokemon B1W1: 9.0
Pokemon B2W2: 9.6
Pokemon XY: 9.0
Pokemon OR/AS: 7.8 ???????????

Because of "too much water"? Lmao
Guess I can say that I used to like IGN.

Last edited:
IGN Pokemon reviews:

Because of "too much water"? Lmao I used to like IGN.
7.8 and 9.5 for hoenn are way to high for me I would have given hoenn a 6.2 if was the reviewer.

I just noticed that the reviewer from IGN mentions 7 HM's, while the data dumps only mentioned 6. The one missing apparently being Flash. So does this confirm that the Tutor/egg moves list is not correct?

What, because of all the water?
Poor pokemon distribution pre gym 5, Made out of poor roadblocks most of the time, team composition limitations kill any hope of having fun doing in game challenges, and too much water. RSE despite being know as the "Explorer" games limit your opportunities of team for the sake of exploration, this is noticeable if you like to replay the games with different teams.

Also the fact that winguls and pelipers kill all the hopes you might have of improving your team. The only late game mons pre e4 you can get are Spheal and snorunt to top the cake.

There is something i like to bring at 3 days of ORAS release.

-Even if we will not have mega flygon.
-Even if we will not have trainer customization.
-Even if we will not have battle frontier.

etc.etc.etc.

*Guys, don't you agreed it will be fair at least , gamefreak will have expanded the inverse battles in oras?, if they have put only one trainer in kalos as a test of opinion of this type of battle , it could be logic enlarge more content about those kind of battles ?...they do that with the rotation and triple battles .:/.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Unfortunately I have lost hope for Frontier long since those music titles were datamined, a sneaking suspicion that Gamefreak would be lazy and the game devs giving a shifty response when asked about its inclusion the the GameExplain interview. I want to hold out until the end but my gut says no. I don't think it's a good thing to be hugely disappointed instead of hyped a few days before release...

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
I know how much too many water can be bad because of Tentacool and Wingull, but if I develops these remakes, I'll put many underwater places to enhance exploration and limit the presence of Wingull and Tentacool to a bit rare.

My true worst concern is the possibly only one Unova and Kalos Megas and still minimized for Sinnoh compared to the first three.

7.8 and 9.5 for hoenn are way to high for me I would have given hoenn a 6.2 if was the reviewer.
Boooo 10/10 for the orginals RSE!! Funnest in game and story and best set of new Pokemon from any gen!
Unfortunately I have lost hope for Frontier long since those music titles were datamined, a sneaking suspicion that Gamefreak would be lazy and the game devs giving a shifty response when asked about its inclusion the the GameExplain interview. I want to hold out until the end but my gut says no. I don't think it's a good thing to be hugely disappointed instead of hyped a few days before release...
Whatever! I'm so super Hyped still! And to put this in perspective Flygon is my favorite Dragon type and in my top 10 favorites! BUT Whatever!! Hoenn has the funnest games and region and this is gonna be AWESOME!!!! There're hella new megas (even if not Flygon or whatever other 3rd gens you love, Masquerain) There's reportedly and easily presumably extended post game (especially relative to XY) and we still have the standard Battle challenge. So like what? A 10/10 game now with way better graphics, 3 times the Pokemon, 2 times the awesome, new evolutions, new trainers, Powered Up Secret Bases! and so much beautiful!!!?!? I'm expecting it'll warrant a 20/10

Yyyup, time for me to leave. Tell 9 Tales of Ninetales I loved him

Last edited:
Why is there such a backlash about IGN's review? People get too fixated on the number at the end of a review, rather than the thousand words preceding it which discuss the game's strengths and flaws - and it did seem like she liked the game but noticed some issues. If you don't mind the water, well, you'll like the game more than this reviewer, and shouldn't that make you pleased? If the final score is the only important part of a review, then why would the reviewer bother with, you know, the review part of it?

Not to mention, in any sane universe 7.8 is a good score. But that's another grumble.

Yeah I'm not sure why people are so fixated on these reviews. Aren't you going to play the game and form your own opinion anyway?

The "Hoenn has too much Surfing" argument has never held any water, in my opinion at least. I mean what else do you expect from a region where the entire game and lore revolve around the equal and cataclysmic battle between pokemon of land and sea? It's not like Surfing is much different from walking and you always have Repels...

Why is there such a backlash about IGN's review? People get too fixated on the number at the end of a review, rather than the thousand words preceding it which discuss the game's strengths and flaws - and it did seem like she liked the game but noticed some issues. If you don't mind the water, well, you'll like the game more than this reviewer, and shouldn't that make you pleased? If the final score is the only important part of a review, then why would the reviewer bother with, you know, the review part of it?

Not to mention, in any sane universe 7.8 is a good score. But that's another grumble.
It's because our school system is on a scale where below 6 is failing, 7 is barely passing, 8 is okay, and 9 and above is considered great. While this doesn't translate into other metrics (usually), it still causes everyone to have a knee-jerk reaction based on it.

So they see 7.8 and think "C+?!, it could totally be better than that!" regardless of review content.

It's because our school system is on a scale where below 6 is failing, 7 is barely passing, 8 is okay, and 9 and above is considered great. While this doesn't translate into other metrics (usually), it still causes everyone to have a knee-jerk reaction based on it.

So they see 7.8 and think "C+?!, it could totally be better than that!" regardless of review content.
Well, perhaps people expect high grades because of the 10/10 for Red/Blue, and G/S. Even with my nostalgia, I cannot see how G/S would be better than the remakes. Well, I know I'm getting the games anyway, so who cares?

Yeah I'm not sure why people are so fixated on these reviews. Aren't you going to play the game and form your own opinion anyway?

The "Hoenn has too much Surfing" argument has never held any water, in my opinion at least. I mean what else do you expect from a region where the entire game and lore revolve around the equal and cataclysmic battle between pokemon of land and sea? It's not like Surfing is much different from walking and you always have Repels...
I see what you did there :p

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
Well, perhaps people expect high grades because of the 10/10 for Red/Blue, and G/S. Even with my nostalgia, I cannot see how G/S would be better than the remakes. Well, I know I'm getting the games anyway, so who cares?
Because about Red/Blue, it marked the beginning, which is understandable for making Kanto the origin of the adventures but also one of the world's biggest nostalgic magnet.

I sure missed a fair bit of leaks. There are a lot of things moved around for ease of access; the Exp. Share in Petalburg Woods is certainly unexpected. Also, the little monument in Mauville to commemorate the "friendship" between Mauville and Lumiose reminds me of all of the weird connections they made in HGSS between Sinnoh and Johto. I'm sure we're going to get tons more connections to Kalos, especially in the Delta Episode.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
EXP Share's going to break the game in half, but Mawile won't because you'll be stuck with a shitty Mon until more than halfway into the game (assuming you don't get Mega Evolution until around Norman).

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
EXP Share's going to break the game in half, but Mawile won't because you'll be stuck with a shitty Mon until more than halfway into the game (assuming you don't get Mega Evolution until around Norman).
I cannot deny it. But Mega Blaziken is not better once you fully evolves your Torchic...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Game Freak has explicitly stated they are not into DLC* and do not plan on using it in the future; people seriously need to shut up about it. It'd also be a huge dick move on GF's part to force us to pay extra money for the part of the game everyone not named R_N really wants.

*Event Legends don't count because they're a) Already in the game and b) Completely free.
And they can't make a Battle Frontier expansion free? What if they wanted to include it but didn't have time to complete it, so instead plan to patch it in later? The only new graphics they'd need to add in is the buildings and Frontier Brains (and maybe Scott). Everything else is in the game, similar to what they did with the additional downloadable missions for Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia and Pokemon Conquest.

Also you didn't answer my question: Aside from the Battle Maison, what else would the Battle Resort have?

IGN Pokemon reviews:

Because of "too much water"? Lmao I used to like IGN.
Too much water... yet they gave the original games 9.5...

Anyway I find it hard to rely on review sites for Pokemon since its a bit of a personal taste series so it can be hit and miss of several levels depending on the reviewer. As long as the reviews are generally good I'll know that I'd at least like it.

Great if you want to rush through it, and simple enough to fix if you don't want it breaking the game: just turn it off and leave it off. Not even gonna defend Mawile.

I'm not hung up on the score, but I don't see the logic of a 7.8 score when the Pokemon gameboy/DS games have traditionally scored VERY well. OR/AS build upon a fantastic experience from XY and not only keep a lot of the same things from it, but added more Megas, every legendary, the Delta Episode, expanded secret bases, and the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on...

So what does IGN do? Give it the lowest score of any Pokemon game released in the past 15 years? It makes no sense. Yes, it's one reviewers opinion, but again, it makes no sense. The reviewer complained about a region that has too much water when they already knew that Hoenn has always had the most water of any region thus far. They knew what to expect because Nintendo has repeatedly said that OR/AS are remakes. So even though they knew what to expect, that was a "reason" to complain? Sounds to me like someone who shouldn't even have a job reviewing games. lol a 7.8 score makes zero sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)