XY NU Dun Sleep on Scyther :] (Peak #8/1646 Elo)

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
Proof of Ladder: http://puu.sh/cU8Xc.jpg
(I didn't get a chance to ladder any higher because Showdown died)

Dun Sleep on Scyther :]

What is up guys --Steven here-- and I'm going to be bringing you a Scyther RMT today (I had to do it). :]

Team Building Process:

I had been sleeping on Scyther for the entirety of Pokemon X/Y, So I decided to build my final XY NU team around the supposed based lord, I decided on a creative Sub-SD mono attacking set.

I'm running a Scyther as a win condition that generally relies on being at full HP. So I needed a core to prevent hazards from being on my side of the field. Prinplup is easily the best defogger in the tier right now, and Xatu is good at keeping hazards away against more stally teams.

Looking at the first three members of my team, I realized that Scarf Rotom is a pain, so I decided to throw on another Pokemon I hadn't used this generation..Liepard. I really wanted a reliable way to kill Rotom so I decided to run Pursuit Liepard.

Ah, Garbodor. My friend. I needed a more reliable switch in to fighting types, and I wanted hazard stack to force the opponent to either Defog for my Scyther, or Rapid Spin and lose momentum. Garbodor is also a very reliable answer to BD Slurpuff, which every team needs.

I kept going back and forth on this last slot basically trying to avoid using Lanturn, but it fit the team so perfectly. It acts as a check to Feraligatr, Scarf Rotom, Fire Spam, and is a good way to beat rocks and steels for Scyther.

Let's get on to the team~

DunSleepOnMe (Scyther) @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 176 HP / 116 SpD / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Substitute
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Ah Scyther, I don't know how I could have slept on you for so long. This is a custom set that I came up with (shout out to Omfuga for helping me with the EV's). The goal of this set is to outspeed Base 100's and to have the maximum bulk possible. This set is honestly incredible in the current NU metagame. Once you remove opposing flying resists, this thing can very easily sweep through unprepared teams. In addition, it's an absolutely amazing stall-breaker, as it can set up on most of the threats that stall uses.

Just to put the bulk of this set into perspective~

252 SpA Typhlosion Fire Blast vs. 176 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Scyther: 222-264 (68.3 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And a couple more practical calcs~

0 SpA Seismitoad Scald vs. 176 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Scyther: 54-64 (16.6 - 19.6%) -- possible 6HKO

0 SpA Vileplume Sludge Bomb vs. 176 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Scyther: 75-88 (23 - 27%) -- 46.3% chance to 4HKO

This allows Scyther to beat a lot of balanced cores very handily, as most of the Stealth Rockers on those teams are beaten 1v1 by Xatu (I'm looking at you Ferroseed).

Hi Raseri ;S (Prinplup) @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

So, I didn't really buy into the Prinplup hype train until I actually used one. This thing is basically a god. It's amazing for balanced teams, and it helps this team in so many ways. The first way it helps this team is fairly obvious, it has Defog, which can help to keep my side of the field clean for Scyther. In addition, it's an amazing bulky pivot for common threats like (insert any Physical Attacking Pokemon here). And it can generally beat Feraligatr 1v1, so that's pretty chill. Finally, it's the first fire spam check on my team, and an amazingly reliable one as well. This thing's synergy with Xatu is incredible (baring electric), but strong Electric types don't get hazards, so that's amazing. Basically, use Prinplup if you want to win.

XatuBeKidding (Xatu) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Calm Mind

This is a Xatu, it does Xatu things~

But in all seriousness, Xatu has a really important role on the team: acting as a way to prevent hazards from getting up. You may think that Xatu has terrible type synergy with Scyther, and it does. But that's unimportant. The important synergy is with Prinplup. Xatu alleviates some pressure off of Prinplup to constantly remove hazards, and lets Prinplup act as a bulky pivot in certain games where the opposing Stealth Rock setter gets beat by Xatu 1v1. In addition, Xatu is able to help Scyther break stall, and beats the Steel types that give Scyther nightmares. All in all, Xatu is a great addition to any balanced team in this tier, and on this team it really puts pressure on the opponent's hazard setters, and lets you keep momentum.

LetThatMFClapSlow (Liepard) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Play Rough
- Encore

Pursuit Liepard. I cannot even begin to express not only how good of a set this is in the current meta, but also how excellent it is for this team. Pursuit allows me to trap and kill the likes of Rotom and Mismagius, both of whom threaten Scyther (with electric STAB and Will-O-Wisp respectively), but the coolest thing that Liepard is able to trap is Xatu. Nobody really expects Liepard to have Pursuit (it's very uncommon) and this lets you trap and kill Xatu so that Garbodor can get up hazards free of charge. Life Orb for increased damage output on Hariyama, as Knock Off + Play Rough easily takes out the beast, and Play Rough can kill Sawk. Encore is a must on basically every Liepard, and it helps me to deal with threatening set up sweepers like Lilligant and Gorebyss.

I Smell Like You (Garbodor) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

This is legit my favorite Pokemon in the NU meta. It may seems weird to pair Garbodor with a Defogger, but I'll explain why it makes sense to have it on the team (in my eyes). Although I have a Defogger, I also have Xatu, which can sometimes prevent the opponent from getting up their hazards for an entire game (ex: Ferroseed), therefore, I lose nothing by hazard stacking and putting pressure on the opponent. In addition, stacking hazards forces the opponent to either Defog and keep my Scyther healthy or to Rapid Spin and give up momentum. In addition, as I mentioned in the Liepard section, Liepard can trap Xatu to give Garbodor a free path to set up hazards. Finally, the defensive typing makes a lot of sense for the team, and gives me another way to check physical sweepers, as well as a way to beat Pawniard.

DownForWhat? (Lanturn) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Ice Beam

So...Lanturn. I never thought Lanturn would be a Pokemon that I would use, and to be honest, I have no idea what the best EV spread would be to run on this Pokemon, but it was legitimately a perfect fit for this team. I needed a Pokemon that could beat SD Feraligatr, an Electric immunity, and another fire spam check. Lanturn filled every single glaring hole that the team had. After using Lanturn, I actually really like it in this meta. It can switch in and beat a variety of threats, and actually hits pretty hard with Choice Specs. I've been torn between Ice Beam and HP Grass, but Ice Beam is more useful to hit grass types than HP Grass is to beat Seismitoad, because Xatu can handle the frog.

Threat List:

Electivire
Banded Sawk
Fire Spam
Swellow
Imprison CM users
Sun

Thank you very much for reading my RMT, this is my last RMT for XY. It was a really great generation for competitive Pokemon as well as real life stuff. As this generation ends, hopefully ORAS will bring some new stuff into NU. Until then...

Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/1bhkiYX2 (please keep nicknames when using the team)

Bye guys~

Shoutouts (Only because it's the end of XY):

Kiyo : Thank you for not only being a good fren, but for introducing me to the based lord Prinplup. Also, this man coined the phrase "Dun Sleep on Scyther"

TheCanadianWifier : Thank you for only laughing a little bit when I said I wanted to use Lanturn, and we need to record again. :]

iplaytennislol : Thanks for the points. ;S

HJAD : Lanturn *__* Also you're a really chill guy and you need to join call more.

Raseri : I just wanted to say thank you for helping to guide this tier in the correct direction for all of XY, and also being a good friend.

fingerscrossed : This man is just getting into NU, but he is an excellent teambuilder and player. I'm sure once he gets into the tier we will be a power duo once again. ;S

swagilyph : Joe has been a good friend, and understands my pain of never getting a scald burn.
/me cries

Oshony PokeGod : For giving me motivation to keep going to school.

Spuun : For spurning me on in new ways to beat the god toad (most Power Herb Solarbeam)

QueenOfLuvdiscs : Oml this RMT was just too ez. But nah, thanks for reminding me constantly that every good team needs a stallbreaker.

Kayo : [:

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey The Goomy your team actually synergizes really well together and the one big thing that stood out was electric types which is covered by Lanturn and like you said it just patches up a ton of your weaknesses. Something I could see being a threat to your team is Double Dance Rhydon, as it pretty much destroys your team and the one thing you have to check it is liepard which can be seen coming from a mile away and Prinplup which takes about 40% from an unboosted EQ and 80% from a +2 EQ and honestly it isn't to hard to wear it down. I'm not sure if there is a good way to fix your team to accomodate for this threat and honestly I would try to get up Toxic Spikes as fast as possible and try to not let it come in for free and then bait between EQ and Rock Blast. Honestly the one thing I think you can for go is Prinplup because you already have Xatu and the hazard control is a bit over the top; however, (the reason I'm not bolding this is cause it doesn't just solve all your problems and I'm not 100% sold on it, so lets just assume you read my rate and don't just look at the bold lol) you could try switching out Prinplup with Torterra as even at +2 Torterra rarely takes 50% from EQ, this still leaves you open to your threats list and makes fire spam an even bigger issue putting tremendous weight on Lanturn. Honestly though, I think your team is at the best it can be in its current state, any suggestions would either drastically alter your core or open up more holes than its worth. Nice team and nice synergy!

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
how do you beat a well played archeops (acro+eq)? it seems like a massive threat and the way you deal with it is like get helmet/aftermath dmg w/ garbo by making it use acro and surprise your opponent with a life orb liepard's sucker, but then what if they switch fearing a twave (swear i see twave liepard everywhere on ladder) and find out you have sucker? etc. Ik Prinplup can take one, but hey nothing stops archeops from switching out + prinplup can't rly switch on acro that well

all i can think of is maybe try a good rock or steel type over prinplup and rely more on xatu to prevent entry hazards, maybe drop calm mind for grass knot/giga drain to help xatu beat seismitoad (like, rocky helmet w/ psyshock / hwave/roost/gknot or even night shade over heat wave maybe) or even twave somewhere since xatu can take a acro from full from archeops and cripple it

edit: also yea rhydon is kind of a problem too and can easily set up on xatu.. night shade / grass knot / twave / roost is something you can try too (with helmet). helmet will allow u to chip away fighting-type's health, night shade to not be fodder to steels and just do a good amount to anything, gk for seismitoad/rhydon, twave to cripple fast stuff including archeops

you could probably try phdef carracosta over prinplup, with like scald / ajet / rock slide | knock off / SR with leftovers or rocky helmet. gives u a nice normal type switch in, flying type switch in, can switch on archeops, its a turtle, it does make fire-type's life a bit easy since both of your fire resists will be waters, but lanturn+prinplup are waters too <:) )

speaking of which, how often did you sub on fire-types with Scyther on their hp grass and just swept them?

(at first i was thinking about phdef rotom>prinplup and seismitoad>lanturn but then it wouldve left u fire weak,, you probably would need to drop garbodor for something if you were to go toad and rotom)

maybe find a spot for hp grass on lanturn or seed bomb on garbodor to help deal with seismitoad because it does seem annoying for your team and you probably have to switch in xatu and prinplup pretty often since garbo and lanturn cant touch it and won't enjoy taking a eq

sorry for shit grammar its like 2am and i can't bother (:))

cool team

Last edited:
Your team has incredibly solid defensive synergy, and honestly I don't think there is something I can suggest to truly make your team better. If i were to say anything, I guess your team has two mons weak to rock, with no resists (but tbh, prinp can eat up them stone edges). To mitigate this rock weakness (and still help vs fire spam and destroy those rock/steel types scyther hates), you could try running Thick Fat standard. AV Hariyama over Lanturn, but tbh; it is probably an un needed change. Just something to consider. Nice team fren :]

EDIT: Do you really think play rough is necessary on liepard? you have no other priority on your team so i feel Life Orb Sucker Punch would help a lot

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)