Pursuit
Hammer Arm
Explosion
Substitute
Stealth Rock
Agility
Hone Claws

Overview:
With the advent of its Mega Evolution in ORAS, Metagross gains solid bulk, power, and Speed, making it even more of a solid Xerneas check and powerhouse with Tough Claws Meteor Mash and Bullet Punch. Along with having access to priority and other support moves, Mega Metagross can pull off a good Agility cleaning set. Overall, even with the immense competition for the Mega Slot, Mega Metagross will most likely be helpful to teams who have a bit more trouble with Xerneas.

Possible Movesets:

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake / Hammer Arm
- Zen Headbutt / Thunder Punch / Pursuit

(An alternate EV spread of 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spe with Jolly removes any chance of Xerneas OHKOing with a +2 HP Fire after SR, but Metagross cannot outspeed +Spe base 100s)

Metagross @ Metagrossite
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake

The above EV spread lets Metagross outspeed GeoXern and RP Primal Groudon after a single Agility, while giving Metagross extra power.

~Have fun discussing!~

Last edited:
I don't like how hard this loses to Primal Kyogre and Groudon, but another Xerneas check certainly doesn't hurt! This is very vulnerable to Thunder Wave and WoW so I wish it could fit Substitute somewhere, but it has 4MSS as it is. Metagross will be fun to ladder with but IMO it's too weak to too many threats -- Ho-Oh being another one -- to be terribly viable in this metagame.

I don't like how hard this loses to Primal Kyogre and Groudon, but another Xerneas check certainly doesn't hurt! This is very vulnerable to Thunder Wave and WoW so I wish it could fit Substitute somewhere, but it has 4MSS as it is. Metagross will be fun to ladder with but IMO it's too weak to too many threats -- Ho-Oh being another one -- to be terribly viable in this metagame.
Though it does not appreciate POgre+Ho-Oh or having the 4MSS, MegaGross is not totally useless against PDon with EQ and Ray is hit pretty hard with Tough Claws Ice Punch (can't run a calc rn but I believe it OHKOs after SR). Imo MegaGross isn't particularly bad other than the fact that it occupies a Mega Slot, giving it competition with Mega Ray for the spot. Also I noticed that it doesn't do that great against any form of Mewtwo, so that's another con, I guess :(

I don't think it will be used much in uber: really cool stat but too many common weakness and the fact that use the mega slot.

Again, no point discussing- if you wanna maximize your winning chances: use Mega Rayquaza.

Assuming something gets done about item+Mega Ray, then Metagross is borderline viable. It has a nifty typing and a flying resist but requires way too much investment in defense to take on Mence/Ray which hampers its sweeping potential.

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
MegaGross is definitely a "for fun" pokemon. It has some good uses, but as stated above it can't really be justified when Mega Rayquaza/Salamence exist.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The problem with the agiligoss is that it has MAJOR 4MSS, but the set is still really good.

Mega Ray is banned, so I guess MegaGross is good now :/

Edit: Fixed up Agility EVs just to speed creep RP users such as PDon (40 Speed creeps +2 GeoXern, but 44 Speed creeps RP PDon)

Last edited:
metagross can run max hp and max special defense to take on xerneas, mewtwo, mega salamence, mega diancie.

mega salamence cant 2HKO metagross with EQ unless it runs max attack with adamant. if it does that, tough claws ice punch+bullet punch can take it out.

252+ Atk Mega Salamence Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Metagross: 182-216 (50 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mega Salamence: 316-376 (80.2 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mega Salamence: 63-75 (15.9 - 19%) -- possible 6HKO

xerneas is countered unless metagross misses meteor mash.
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Metagross: 196-232 (53.8 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Tough Claws Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 360-426 (85.9 - 101.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

then just follow up with bullet punch.
0 Atk Tough Claws Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 104 HP / 32 Def Xerneas: 162-192 (38.6 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

metagross can also pursuit trap offensive mega mewtwo y or take it out with meteor mash+bullet punch.
252 SpA Mega Mewtwo Y Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Metagross: 160-190 (43.9 - 52.1%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Tough Claws Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Mewtwo Y: 238-282 (67.2 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Tough Claws Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Mewtwo Y: 106-126 (29.9 - 35.5%) -- 26.4% chance to 3HKO

if you predict mewtwo to switch.
0 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Pursuit vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Mewtwo Y: 282-332 (79.6 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

metagross obviously hard counters diancie.
252+ SpA Diancie Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Metagross: 170-202 (46.7 - 55.4%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO

but you can take out diancie before it even gets the chance to attack.
0 Atk Tough Claws Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 292-348 (121.1 - 144.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I'm not one to post much here, but I've been using Agilgross' set for the past year already and needless to say it is pretty beast. The occasional attack boost from MM is nice, while ice punch takes care of most earthquake users. Agility on switch-in so it out-speeds basically anything that is not yet boosted. Earthquake is great coverage as well.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Was tinkering with sets and came up with:

Metagross @ Metagrossite
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake / Hammer Arm
- Zen Headbutt / Thunder Punch / Pursuit

The HP EVs allow you to always survive a +1 Earthquake from Mega Salamence after Stealth Rock damage and then kill it with Mash + BP + SR. You also retain the ability to to outspeed base 100 Speed mons such as Palkia, Mega Kangaskhan, and below. This spread also always lives +2 Xerneas Thunder after SR and has ~70% chance to live +2 HP Fire after SR. Earthquake is your best hit vs Primal Groudon, though Hammer Arm can let you break past Skarmory and Ferrothorn + check Adamant EKiller. There's a lot of moves you can run in slot 4. Zen Headbutt is your other STAB and is your best move against Palkia + Primal Groudon if not using Earthquake. Thunder Punch is an interesting option - it KOes max HP Primal Kyogre after it switches into Meteor Mash and gives you a shot to 2HKO Physically Defensive Ho-Oh with a bit of prior damage (which Zen Headbutt can't do). It can also potentially 2HKO Skarmory if it doesn't have Leftovers + SR is up or you get the Attack boost from Meteor Mash. Pursuit dumpsters Lati twins if you can get in on a Draco Meteor. Ice Punch also works well here if you want to guarantee the OHKO on Mega Salamence.

Overall Megagross is a bulky + fairly strong attacker that is a pretty decent offensive check to Xerneas and Mega Salamence. You might want to run more bulk but outspeeding Palkia/Mega Kanga is nice. It faces a lot of competition for the Mega slot but I think it can be viable.

my opinion is subject to change, but even with the removal of mray from the tier, i'm finding it really difficult to justify using mgross. pursuit-trapping latis seems like the most nifty thing it has going for it, but being highly susceptible to big threats in groudon, yveltal, ghostceus, and ho-oh really hurts. in all the builds i tried fitting it on, i would much rather use klefki as a xern check, lati deterrent, and for the awesome utility spikes (and prankster twave) provides, all while freeing myself up a mega slot.

e: this is the set i used -
Metagross @ Metagrossite
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Rock Polish / Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)