XY OU The 'Bird Spam' team

Please do comment any suggestions and improvements for my team in the comment section!

The core:
These pokemon all fulfill basically the same role and support each other in doing so. These pokemon are designed to break through any team with sheer power by luring out the counters to highly aggressive flying-type pokemon and then weakening or outright KO-ing it, paving the way for the other two pokemon to bulldoze through an enemy team. Their EVs are all placed in Attack and Speed to Maximize offensive potential.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak

Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Taunt

Swords dance Talonflame is here to serve as the primary win condition of this team. The aim is to get rid of all the Steel and rock-type pokemon with the other two flying-types that wall Talonflame, set up a Swords Dance and then sweep the enemy team. Roost is for priority recovery and taunt is to allow Talonflame to beat defensive walls and checks to Talonflame.

Salamence @ Salamencite

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Fire Blast

The third bird spammer in this team and the secondary win condition. This was originally Mega-Pinsir but I decided that Mega Salamence has more utility in Intimidate before mega-evolving, more speed and a more useful set-up ability in Dragon Dance which suits the hyper-offensive nature of this team comp better. Return is self-explanatory with Aerilite, Earthquake is to deal with Steel types and Fire Blast to deal with Scizor and Ferrothorn.

The support staff:
The rest of the team is here, but I couldn't really think of what good pokemon to add to this team so suggestions are especially welcome here.

Terrakion @ Life Orb

Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Life Orb Terrakion packs pure power in order to muscle its way past any physical wall. Close Combat and Stone Edge serve as powerful STABs, Earthquake is to serve as a more reliable move against pokemon such as Heatran and Swords Dance is allow Terrakion to set up and act as another win condition against the enemy team in a pinch if required. This Terrakion set is equipped to blow holes in Steel, Rock and Electric-type pokemon on the enemy team to open the way for the bird sweep.

Azelf @ Focus Sash

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 196 Atk / 60 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Explosion
- Fire Blast

Typical suicide lead with a Focus Sash to complete the super-troll Azelf anti-lead set. Taunt the enemy stealth rock setter, set up rocks on the switch and then explode in the face of Azelf's counter. Fire blast is to deal with pokemon such as Ferrothorn who tend to stay in and try to attack Azelf. 252 EVs in speed to maximize trolling potential, 160 in Attack to achieve some crucial KOs and the rest dumped in Special Attack to spice up Fire Blast.

Starmie @ Life Orb

Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rapid Spin

Rapid Spinner of the team. Damn good and underrated pokemon imo that fits the nature of this hyper-offensive team very well as this is the fastest Rapid Spinner outside of Sand Rush Excadrill. STABs for more damage (Psyshock chosen because physical walls already melt like butter and the only threat left is specially defensive pokemon) and Hidden Power Fire is to deal with Steel Types. EVs are placed in Special Defence and Speed to maximize Offensive presence. Life orb is to boost damage output while Analytic allows Starmie to take care of Venusaur should it switch into Starmie. This pokemon is incredibly important if Azelf fails to take out the defogger because Stealth Rocks really eat into the bird core that this team is based around.

Clefable @ Life Orb

Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Had no idea what to put for the last pokemon on this team so I put Clefable as she fits on any team pretty well. This is a Calm Mind set which can act as a tertiary win condition should the bird core fail as well as being incredibly annoying to deal with as even with bulky Steel types like Heatran can't do too much damage to Clefable after a couple CM boosts and soft-boiled. Moonblast is self-explanatory and Flamethrower is to deal with Steels apart from Heatran if they somehow escaped from all the other coverage moves on this team to deal with them. Also a fairly good counter to Mega-Manectric who otherwise can destroy most of this team because of how specially bulky Clefable can get.

Last edited:
Hi there. You have a serious weakness to stealth rock users as you have three flying types in your team. I suggest replacing starmie with latias as it has more bulk and it can use defog which clears all the hazards away. If a spinblocker blocks starmie's rapid spin such as gengar then half of your team will take hazard damage badly. Another note is that you need to replace staraptor as it is outclassed by talonflame and you do not need another stealth rock weak pokemon on your team. Gengar can decimate a lot of your team and other ice types in the OU tier such as mamoswine and kyurem-b. I suggest replacing staraptor with terrakion as terrakion with a choice band can OHKO a lot of pokemon(such as ice types to help your birds) with close combat.

Private message me with some changes and I'll give you a proper rate.

I'm running a similar team on Wifi only with Scarf Keldeo instead of Terrakion, AV Landorus-T as a pivot and mono attack CM Sylveon who also serves as my cleric. I personally find ugh Talonflame to be easier to use especially w/ LO, but CB Staraptor smashes things so much better. It also has priority in the former of Quick Attack if that is what you are lacking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)