VGC Anti-weather team

Hi people. My first rmt in the correct thread (my actual first was in the wrong thread)
This team is based around taking advantage of whatever weather your opponent happens to bring.

Heracross @ heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs 252 atk/ 116 df/ 160 spd
Adamant nature
-Rock blast
-Bullet seed
-Arm thrust
-Pin missle

All Heracross wants to do is be scary. Scary to rain and hail teams, and sometimes drought teams. Its mega allows it to use the multi hit attacks to their full potential, which let's heracross do major damage to pokemon weak to its attacks. STAB pin missle is for mega gengar and gothilite and politoed, all part of a perish team (Bullet seed not pin missle for politoed, my bad). And I hate perish teams. Also has STAB fighting attack, which is extremely useful.

Weavile @ king's rock
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs 252 atk/ 120 spd/ 136 spe
Jolly nature
-Fake out
-Fling
-Ice shard
-Ice punch

My team's main priority pokemon. With jolly and enough speed evs to outspeed max speed raichu and get its fake out first,and max attack evs to take advantage of priority second effect moves, but what makes this pokemon an important aspect of my team are the secondary effects. Flinging king's rock for turn 2 flinch and using ice punch to pickpocket opponents items. Ice shard is for post turn 1 priority if needed, and faking out pokemon before they fake out you is a nice way to deny a setup turn and get a little chip damage.

Heliolisk @ choice specs
Ability: Solar power
EVs 4 hp/ 252 spa/ 252 spe
Timid nature
-Thunderbolt
-Dark pulse
-HP Ground
-Volt switch

The anti drought pokemon. Its suprisingly high special attack strength lets it almost always one hit charizards with tbolt, while quite strong hp ground and high speed let it protect heracross and weavile from troublesome fire types, increasing damage by letting heracross fire off rock blast, and keeping weavile alive long enough fling or even pickpocket an item. Side by side with heracross to deal with drought, rain, and sometimes even hail teams, it has become one of my indespensable pokemon to bring with me whenever I see a charizard.

Rotom-Heat @ wide lens
Ability: levitate
EVs 252 hp/ 4 spa/ 252 spd
Calm nature
-Will-o-wisp
-Overheat
-HP ice
-Thunder

Ever since I first started playing pokemon, in gen 4 with diamond and pearl, i've been intrested in rotom. Back in those days, I didn't know about competitive pokemon, much less how awesome rotom it. So it has stayed in a pc box since forever, until now when it left for a short while. It's great great great great great great grandchildren are here to stay on my team. I view wide lens as an important part of this build. Protecting my pokemon from physical attackers via more reliable WoW and thunders and overheats that I can count on to actualy hit as opposed to non lens pokemon. This pokemon deals with steel types like no other pokemon on my team does, and having it protect my sweepers from their enemies the physical attackers was a must have that I needed before adding rotom to this team.

Liepard @ leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs 252 hp/ 16 atk/ 240 spe
Jolly nature
-Taunt
-Fake out
-Encore
-Protect

The best fake out and taunter in my oppinion. The reason? It's amazing speed and prankster ability combo. With enough speed to fake out before other fake out users, and enough speed to outspeed max speed jolly meowstics, and get its taunt off on them. Rendering most utility pokemon useless and stopping kangaskhan and raichu in the speed department, annoying protect users by locking them into something they don't want to be locked into, and generaly annoying the opponent enough to draw fire into its protects, this speedy pokemon gives me the advantage by stopping screens from being set up, will o wisps from hitting me, and being a great anti utility pokemon in my games.

Ditto @ choice scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 hp
-Transform

It took me 5 hours to come up with this set. Trust me, it's good, but all joking aside, this is a great anti sweeper. Becoming the opponent means alot when your opponent has set up a azumaril or garchomp. Being able to outspeed via choice scarf and getting their stat boosts and using their best move against them lets ditto win most 1 on 1 battles against its enemy it chose to turn into. A great revenge killer, and occasionaly popping up to speedily fake out the fake out user, while making this team work. Without a pokemon that can turn into the enemy's swift swim or sand force pokemon, this team wouldn't have the boost it needed to destroy the opposing weather teams. Ditto is what makes it deadly to sd your garchomp and dd your salamence. Do you belly drum azumaril to aqua jet rotom heat or bring something else to avoid having a +6 azumaril rage against you? Should you really bring that mega manectric for speed and risk your rain team being decimated by two megas? Having ditto gives this team the ability to perform well, not just against weather teams, but also against other non weather teams as well. Having ditto is like having a second mega, revenge killer, and a way to take advantage of your opponents weather plan all in one.

Since this is my first rmt, I realize that there might be some things I have missed, or not accounted for in my team. That is why it is here. Thank you for the feedback.
Also how do the more experienced players decide what to counter when deciding their teams? I also haven't played in a while due to the post ddos/hard drive crash showdown glitching on this ipad. I'm hoping it's just the ladder being down, and that i'll get to try out your suggestions once it's back out.
P.S. anyone have a 6iv ditto? I'm looking for one to make teams in the actual pokemon games, I rarely go on the internet online though.

Last edited:
Hello, TehPlayer. you have some slightly uncommon Pokemon choices here like Weavile and Heliolisk which are rare but quite viable and effective, but you also have some Pokemon that lack certain qualities they need to succeed, like Mega Heracross, Ditto, and Liepard. If you want to use Heracross, there are two things that are ABSOLUTELY necessary (in my opinion). The first of which is a switch in to Talonflame. Talonflame is one of the most common Pokemon in the format and completely obliterates Heracross. You have a decent switch in too Talonflame being Rotom-H, which is also a decent check to Mega Charizard Y + Venusaur lead combos. The second thing, which you have none of, is Speed control. Heracross sits at an extremely awkward speed tier where it is fast enough to outspeed alot of slower Pokemon like Bisharp, but can't outspeed things it would like to be faster than, like Kangaskhan or Charizard. Tailwind is usually the preferred method of Speed control since it only takes a turn for your whole team to be faster than the other team, although Thunder Wave is also a viable option to slow down the opposing team. The first change that I would make to help your team would be to use a Talonflame instead of Ditto. Let's face it. Ditto sucks. Sure it has a cool niche but when it comes down to it Ditto is kind of a waste of a team slot since set-up 'mons are rare in Doubles formats, including VGC. With Talonflame you can set up priority Tailwind for Heracross, as well as utilise Quick Guard to block incoming Brave Bird's from opposing Talonflame as well as Fake Out's from Kangaskhan, Weavile, etc.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpA / 4 SpD / 132 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Brave Bird
- Overheat
- Tailwind
- Quick Guard / Protect / Taunt / Will-O-Wisp

I would also make a few moveset and EV spread changes for some of your 'mons. As far as I know, your Mega Heracross isn't EVed to survive any specific attack or outspeed any specific threat. You should use an EV spread of 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spe with an Adamant Nature. With this EV spread you can outspeed Choice Scarf Salamence (and pretty much all of the VGC '14 format) with Tailwind up. Also, Close Combat out damages Arm Thrust and Rock Blast isn't that good of a move in VGC on Heracross so I think you should use Protect instead of that. For your Rotom-H, I think you should use this set:

Rotom-H @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 4 SpA / 164 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Thunder Wave
- Protect / Will-O-Wisp

I'm a little on the fence about Liepard, because I feel it is largely outclassed by Meowstic in the role of a Prankster user with Fake Out, but I guess it can stay for now. Lastly some other small changes: Give Weavile an EV spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe and use Focus Blast instead of HP Ground on Heliolisk. Good Luck with your team and hope I helped.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)