Other ORAS Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
And Starmie is murdered by Bisharp. The meta hasn't been kind to either of them recently.
Not Reflect Type Starmie. If replays weren't down I could show you a buttload of replays of Starmie shitting on Bisharp after using Reflect Type. Same goes for Ferrothorn, too. I'm not saying Starmie can switch in 100% of the time! but given one free switch, Starmie beats Bisharp 1v1.

You really could just pop off a Fire Blast if you're really paranoid about that situation considering this scenario.

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Greninja in Sun: 228-268 (79.7 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This doesn't even factor SR or Life Orb Recoil so yeah just use Char-Y's best asset here if you're in this situation.
This. As long as your CharY is healthy, you've got a good chance to take Ninja off the table. That's just beem my experience, anyway

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Not Reflect Type Starmie. If replays weren't down I could show you a buttload of replays of Starmie shitting on Bisharp after using Reflect Type. Same goes for Ferrothorn, too. I'm not saying Starmie can switch in 100% of the time! but given one free switch, Starmie beats Bisharp 1v1.
My point was more that Starmie is priority-weak to an extent just like Excadrill (especially when it comes to Talonflame), but Reflect Type is viable like you said.

Tentacruel beats gengar and sabeleye spinblockers, counters one of the most popular pokemon in the game (greninja) and has overall great use with knock off stuff, scald burn stuff, and acid spray on things like crocune or clefable that might try to set up. Surprisingly not bad. I too was skeptical at first but I've been liking him a lot more than blastoise or drill as a spinner.

Alright, something I want to throw out there is Rotom-H. I've been using this guy over Rotom-W (because I wanted it to actually resist electric/voltturn and it's an excellent switch into all of magnezone/landorus/scizor) and I've been really enjoying it a lot. The fact that rocks hurts it a lot more than Rotom-W means I don't really use voltswitch on it. Instead I use Discharge, which breaks mence subs more consistently just from that slight base power boost. And fully defensive it survives quite a lot and inevitably ends up either paralyzing or burning mence (which is just one of the many uses that it has, and of course I have other mence options on the team). It's also obviously nice for any team to have a fire stab on it, and Rotom-H has an advantage over heatran in that it's immune to ground :) Well, I reccomend giving it a try, but obviously only with defog/spin support. It's really useful and underrated.

Rotom-H @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Levitate
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Speed
Bold
IVs: 0 Atk
-Overheat
-Discharge
-Will-o-wisp
-Pain Split/Rest

It's not due to his absolute power that a lot of people find Greninja difficult to handle, it's true that on neutral hits he doesn't hit as hard as say Mega Charizard X or like Mega Mawile ever used to, it's the fact that thanks to his wealth of coverage options, he's capable of hitting a vast amount of targets super effectively and his fantastic speed only aids this, in that he can outspeed and revenge kill a large portion of the offensive metagame(minus the megas you mentioned and scarf users) or that any potential switchin has to be able to take 2 hits from him, as the likelihood is that he outspeeds said switchin. When he can carry a move that hits most switchins very hard, you can see how this might be difficult to handle and why there are so few 'true' Greninja counters at the moment. The reality is that he can only wallbreak if he has the right coverage, so in this aspect you might find him a little lacking, as he can't break through Mega Venusaur if lacking Extrasensory, Mew without Dark Pulse, Ferrothorn without HP Fire etc. etc. But as a cleaner he is unrivalled in OU at the moment. Also there is no way you should ever consider running a neutral speed nature on Greninja, as the amount of things you miss out on makes his role as an offensive cleaner/revenge killer pointless (you miss out on Lati@s and the muskateers+Infernape) and tbh, the power isn't all that needed as long as you are clever with your use of it and pick off it's targets well.

tl;dr

Greninja is primarily an offensive cleaner first, a wallbreaker second if he is carrying the right coverage to break said wall.
Never run neutral speed, missing out on 108+ is too costly and the power isn't all that needed.

Regarding PS, yeah I already posted a Talonflame set I love in this thread, it's a great answer to a lot of megas and can be helpful in breaking down stall at the same time.

Regarding PPS, yeah fantastic against offense, and a lot of the threats that he can't outspeed naturally fear his Ice Shard(Sceptile, Aerodactyl) plus being able to revenge the great MegaMence is always a plus.
Oops, better change the nature on my Weavile then. Last I checked Modest was the most common nature on 'ninja.

So I am pretty new to all this, but I am making a team in Showdown with Mega-Sharpedo and I saw on Serebii that sharpedo now learns Poison fang. Problem is showdown says it's illegal as it cannot learn it.

Who needs to be contacted to pass that information to?

So I am pretty new to all this, but I am making a team in Showdown with Mega-Sharpedo and I saw on Serebii that sharpedo now learns Poison fang. Problem is showdown says it's illegal as it cannot learn it.

Who needs to be contacted to pass that information to?
The simulator hasn't been updated to include updated movepools in the teambuilder; however, you can still give your Sharpedo poison fang and it will work in the ladder, as the battling movepool has been updated I believe.

Also, poison Jab is a little bit stronger than Poison Fang even including Strong Jaw (by about 7%). The only advantage that Poison Fang has is a higher chance to poison, and it's Toxic poisoning instead of regular poisoning, but either way, Sharpedo shouldn't be looking to stay in play long enough for the poison damage to really become significant.

The tyranny of mega mence has finally ended, might I say...
I feel it should also be mentioned that the discussion thread for its ban ended with 666 replies. An ominous sign if you ask me. On the plus side now Agility M-Gross doesn't have to speed creep for Scarf Ninjas and Scarf Noiverns anymore (I guess you could still creep for Sand Rush Drill if you're paranoid, but whatever).

Okay, I've seen very little discussion revolving around Mega Beedrill, so I'll start it off. This thing, played well, is an absolute monster. That speed tier is not only bonkers for revenging stuff, but it provides such a great asset to Volt-Turn teams. Adaptability U-Turn hits so goddamn hard and it gives you so much momentum when people try to switch into Beedrill. Poison Jab is cool for nailing Fairies, and Drill Run can KO Heatran with a smidge of prior damage (it's an OHKO after Rocks). It's definitely not going to break the metagame anytime soon, but it has a definite niche punching holes and then GTFO; I'd be shocked if it ended up BL and not downright OU. Obviously it competes with a lot, but it supports teams well through its speed, power, and momentum grabbing ability.

Okay, I've seen very little discussion revolving around Mega Beedrill, so I'll start it off. This thing, played well, is an absolute monster. That speed tier is not only bonkers for revenging stuff, but it provides such a great asset to Volt-Turn teams. Adaptability U-Turn hits so goddamn hard and it gives you so much momentum when people try to switch into Beedrill. Poison Jab is cool for nailing Fairies, and Drill Run can KO Heatran with a smidge of prior damage (it's an OHKO after Rocks). It's definitely not going to break the metagame anytime soon, but it has a definite niche punching holes and then GTFO; I'd be shocked if it ended up BL and not downright OU. Obviously it competes with a lot, but it supports teams well through its speed, power, and momentum grabbing ability.
Only trouble is LandoT is everywhere and counters it quite well, not to mention SR weakness.
BL does seem about right tho

Mega Beedrill actually sounds like a ideal BL mon (that is a thing in my eyes xD). Similar to Crawdaunt, Diggersby and Staraptor it hits ridiculously hard but dies easily if poorly handled. I will at least be surprised if UU won't ban it.
Given how banhappy the UU council was in XY I doubt you'll be surprised.

Mega Beedrill actually sounds like a ideal BL mon (that is a thing in my eyes xD). Similar to Crawdaunt, Diggersby and Staraptor it hits ridiculously hard but dies easily if poorly handled. I will at least be surprised if UU won't ban it.

I have no doubt that it would be banned from UU, but not only is that irrelevant, it's not what I was saying. I was saying that it's good enough in OU as it is. When the metagame settles, I'd imagine it would get the required usage to stay in OU.

Only trouble is LandoT is everywhere and counters it quite well, not to mention SR weakness.
BL does seem about right tho
You don't "counter" Beedrill in the same sense that you don't "counter" Rotom-W. It's a hit and run attacker; its main duty is to U-Turn out to things. The reason you use it is to have an obscenely powerful pivoting move. It's way better than Mega Manectric in this sense.

EDIT: The rocks weakness is pretty unfortunate, but you can easily pair it with something that either Defogs or Tentacruel, which is pretty sweet right now because of Greninja.

Last edited:
Man I really need to memorize what nature does what.
Timid makes physical attack drop for speed. It used to be the most popular one used because he was almost always used as a special attacker. Recently Naive has become the most popular for mixed sets because he gets use out of his physical sets with Gunk Shot and Low Kick. Naive makes him take a negative on special def which is considered less important than physical defense because the meta is mostly physical nowadays. Otherwise Hasty does the same thing.

I have no doubt that it would be banned from UU, but not only is that irrelevant, it's not what I was saying. I was saying that it's good enough in OU as it is. When the metagame settles, I'd imagine it would get the required usage to stay in OU.
While Mega Beedrill is undoubtedly a force to reckon with it sadly does require good chunk of support, stealth rock is prominent as ever and being weak to it is a major flaw for a u-turner and won't be able to switch in without rapid spin or defog support which the opponent can take advantage of, not to mention Skarmory and Ferrothorn wall it to hell and back so they are a easy switchin to it. I want to make it clear though I don't think Mega Beedrill is bad and should be underestimated, it is just that I don't see it gaining OU usage because it requires a skillful battler to use it and win consistently, most battlers aren't high ladder so most battlers will choose mega mons who are easier to use. But perhaps I'll be proven incorrect which isn't unlikely as I am a really bad clairvoyant ^^

While Mega Beedrill is undoubtedly a force to reckon with it sadly does require good chunk of support, stealth rock is prominent as ever and being weak to it is a major flaw for a u-turner and won't be able to switch in without rapid spin or defog support which the opponent can take advantage of, not to mention Skarmory and Ferrothorn wall it to hell and back so they are a easy switchin to it. I want to make it clear though I don't think Mega Beedrill is bad and should be underestimated, it is just that I don't see it gaining OU usage because it requires a skillful battler to use it and win consistently, most battlers aren't high ladder so most battlers will choose mega mons who are easier to use. But perhaps I'll be proven incorrect which isn't unlikely as I am a really bad clairvoyant ^^
Beedrill U-Turns out to Magnezone, and those two "counters" are toast. Granted, Skarm could be running Shed Shell, but that means it's missing out on Rocky Helmet residual damage, and is significantly easier to play against with Volt-Turn. Of course Beedrill needs support, what I was saying earlier is that it's really not that hard to use it. The rewards of using it outweigh the risks, in my opinion. What I was also saying is that Beedrill works really well on Volt-Turn--meaning that it's a fantastic team player, rather than an individual powerhouse like--say--Charizard X.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)