A Quickstart Guide to ORAS Breeding/Training

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Quick question, Do the breeding mechanics still remain the same with destiny knot?

I've been breeding this skrelp for awhile now and despite having a 5IV skrelp with a 6IV ditto in the day-care that I got off x/y, I still got some 3 and 2 IVs hatching ocassionally..

Just my luck or something is different?
Usually things like this happen when you forget to attach Destiny Knot or something else equally silly. I've been breeding for a while and haven't noticed any discrepancies with XY.
How does grinding with Blissey help you get battle items? As far as I know, they're only at the Maison, which sets your levels to 50, bar Life Orbs which Absol can be found with.
Those were two different statements. The second half of his message is expressing his desire for a guide for locating battle items.

Usually things like this happen when you forget to attach Destiny Knot or something else equally silly. I've been breeding for a while and haven't noticed any discrepancies with XY.
Nope, ditto got the knot and skrelp got the everstone, just double checked. Exact IVs are 31/17/31/31/31/31 Skrelp, Ditto 31/31/31/31/31/31

Probably just my luck then. I wasn't sure if we were clear yet on breeding mechanics remaining the same.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nope, ditto got the knot and skrelp got the everstone, just double checked. Exact IVs are 31/17/31/31/31/31 Skrelp, Ditto 31/31/31/31/31/31

Probably just my luck then. I wasn't sure if we were clear yet on breeding mechanics remaining the same.
If you're doing it right, you're guaranteed four. There's something wrong if you're getting 2 or 3.

I'll take pictures whenever I get access to a cam.. I just got two 2 IV skrelps in the last batch.. I don't think even without destiny knot would let that happen..

I certainly can competitve breed judging the 11k egg hatched on my x.. just incase you guys are thinking I'm a noob at this.

Last edited:
Is there anyway you could post where OR/AS players who have no access to X or Y can get a Ditto which is necessary for basic breeding?

Maybe you could post a link to some people who will trade Ditto for any Pokemon they have available?

That would be the best part to add to this thread

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'll take pictures whenever I get access to a cam.. I just got two 2 IV skrelps in the last batch.. I don't think even without destiny knot would let that happen..

I certainly can competitve breed judging the 11k egg hatched on my x.. just incase you guys are thinking I'm a noob at this.
Is it possible you traded over the wrong Ditto and it isn't actually the 6IV one? I really can't think of anything else, but I feel like someone else would have mentioned it if they were encountering similar difficulties. Like I said, everything seems normal on my front, and I haven't encountered anything weird.
Is there anyway you could post where OR/AS players who have no access to X or Y can get a Ditto which is necessary for basic breeding?

Maybe you could post a link to some people who will trade Ditto for any Pokemon they have available?

That would be the best part to add to this thread
If we are considering this guide to be self-contained, I think the best place to get Ditto would be on Mirage Island. There is one island that I had yesterday that only contains Ditto + Munna, making it very easy to rack up Ditto encounters until you can Dex Nav for one with 3* potential (usually ~3-4IV). If anyone else knows of another way to get good Ditto using only OR/AS and without trading for one, let me know.

If we are considering this guide to be self-contained, I think the best place to get Ditto would be on Mirage Island. There is one island that I had yesterday that only contains Ditto + Munna, making it very easy to rack up Ditto encounters until you can Dex Nav for one with 3* potential (usually ~3-4IV). If anyone else knows of another way to get good Ditto using only OR/AS and without trading for one, let me know.
The only problem with the MI method is that you have to get lucky and find one with ditto. It seems to me that the easiest thing to do if you're able to is to trade one over from xy, and that has the added benefit of producing eggs more quickly. I don't know about anything easier for people who aren't able to trade from xy or don't have a ditto safari.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
Yeah, I'm only planning to include resources that can be found in ORAS. It isn't exactly a "quickstart" if you have to track down someone to trade you a Ditto.

The only problem with the MI method is that you have to get lucky and find one with ditto. It seems to me that the easiest thing to do if you're able to is to trade one over from xy, and that has the added benefit of producing eggs more quickly. I don't know about anything easier for people who aren't able to trade from xy or don't have a ditto safari.
Any chance you knew someone that has Ditto available for trading or if you have one available yourself? I'd really appreciate it

I was checking where you can find Dittos in OR/AS on Serebii. What I found is that a Mirage Island on Route 132 has Ditto 40% encounter chance and Munna 60%, while a Mirage Cave north of Route 132 has Ditto 40%, Excadrill 30% and Tynamo 30%

I was referring to Bestow (a move that Blissey does learn). It would give the other pokemon an item. I believe one of the Blissey Secret Bases has one that gives out Lucky Eggs. Give Blissey the move Bestow and have it hold an item (Life Orb, Choice Band, etc) and then it would give your pokemon the item to keep. If I had Blissey's I would do that.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was referring to Bestow (a move that Blissey does learn). It would give the other pokemon an item. I believe one of the Blissey Secret Bases has one that gives out Lucky Eggs. Give Blissey the move Bestow and have it hold an item (Life Orb, Choice Band, etc) and then it would give your pokemon the item to keep. If I had Blissey's I would do that.
I don't think held items are saved after trainer battles (unless it's a one-time use like berries or balloons). I got my soft sand switcheroo'd during my playthrogh from a Minun, but I still got it back after the battle.

The Hidden Power checker can be found in Fortree City. She's in the second house on the upper set of houses. Perhaps you should add that to the Miscellaneous Locations section?

I haven't checked many of the posts above but do female Pokemon still pass down the Pokeball it was originally caught/gifted in?

Last edited:
Do the Shiny Charm and Oval Charm (whatever the egg one was) still exist, and if so are they from National Dec and Hoenn Dex, like XY?

Edit: A second note: Make sure to mention Mt. Pyre's horde encounter is inside specifically, and not outside, as outside has Meditite hordes as well.

Last edited:
It might be worth mentioning that if you don't mind gambling your Pokemiles away you have a chance to get breeding/evo items like Power Band, Destiny Knot, Evolution Stones, etc from the Pokemon Global Link mini games. It could save you quite a few battle points and time if you don't like spending time in the Maison.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)