ORAS OU A Bit of Everything

Hello everyone and welcome to my first ever RMT. :) I started playing pokemon competitively about a year ago (when x/y came out). I decided i wanted to build a team around Garchomp, at first it was a disaster, but i kept working at it, fixing weaknesses, and moving along. Now, i have a little bit of everything, offense, defense, hazards, fast pokes, slow pokes, etc.

Basically my entire team has changed aside from Garchomp, and i just wanted to see what else i could improve on. Thanks for taking the time to read this is a hope you will like what you see! :)

Note: Most of my sets are straight off of smogon because i never really thought that other options worked better, but feel free to change anything on the team.

------------------------------------

First off:

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252Atk/4Def/252Spe
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Pretty basic Garchomp set, but it is still effective. I chose it originally because it was my favorite pokemon, but obviously since it is a garchomp i keep it on my team as a strong physical attacker. It is mostly a revenge killer, Outrage so it can hit hard, Stone Edge to hit flying types hard, Fire Blast for those pesky ferrothorn/scizor/ice types, and Earthquake as another hard-hitting STAB.

Next:

Ferrothorn Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252HP/88Def/168SpD
- Stealth Rocks
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

I chose Ferrothorn because i really needed a consistent lead on my team. As my main hazard pokemon, he allows me to get the game off to a good start. I chose Stealth Rocks as my entry hazard instead of spikes because i wanted to be able to hit flying types like Charizard and Talonflame hard. Thunder wave allows my to cripple steel and poison types that are immune to poison. Leech seed helps me regenerate health faster. I chose Power Whip over Gyro Ball because i already have a good steel type attacker(as you will see below) and because i needed to hit water types such as Azumarril better.

Next:

Greninja Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252SpA/4Def/252Spe
- Grass Knot
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Greninja is here to be my Special Sweeper. The moves he has give me great coverage against pokemon I would otherwise have trouble with. Grass Knot gives me a backup option to hit water type with in case Ferrothorn goes down early. Dark Pulse is great for dealing with Psychic types i would otherwise not be able to hit Super-Effectively. Ice Beam is great for dealing with ground types and dragons if Garchomp is gone. Surf lets me deal with fire types easily.

Next:

Metagross @Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body/Tough Claws
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252Atk/4Def/252Spe
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Pursuit

My newest addition to the team, Mega Metagross! MMgross gives me a useful mega, (because Garchomp's is not that great) a strong physical attacker and a solid defensive pokemon. Zen Headbutt and Meteor Mash give me decent STAB coverage and Earthquake hits other Steel types well. Pursuit lets me hit pokemon that try to switch out, sometimes for a free KO. It is jolly nature and has 252 Speed EVs So that it can make the most out of it's newfound speed.

Next:

Gliscor: Toxic Orb
Abilty: Poison Heal
Nature: Impish
EVs: 244HP/28Def/236Spe
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Protect
- Earthquake

The first of my 2 walls. Many people hate SubToxic Gliscor, but it works, so it is on my team. This thing lets me toxic stall just about anything that isnt water, ice, steel, or poison type. The entire set is built how it needs to be, Toxic, Protect, and Substitute all work together to stall, and earthquake lets me hit those steel types pretty hard. The 236 speed EVs allow me to outspeed anything with a base 80 speed or below (that helps me deal with non-priority mamoswine especially).

Finally:

Chansey @Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Careful
EVs: 4HP/252Def/252SpD
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Protect
- Seismic Toss

This thing is a MONSTER, it can stall out everything but Poison, Steel, and Physical fighting types. Gliscor deals with the fighting types, and chansey takes the water and ice types. Seismic Toss lets chansey 3-4HKO most pokemon that it cant toxic stall and Soft-Boiled provides great health recovery. Between Chansey and gliscor, very few pokemon are left standing. Careful nature lets chansey get even more out of her already insane SpD. The only thing she needs to worry about is knock off.

------------------------------------

So that is my team, almost every major threat in OU can be dealt with by this team (Even MSalamence). Even though i have several pokemon weak to fighting types(Chansey, ferrothorn, greninja before protean) but garchomp and gliscor can deal with them. I also have several ice weaknesses, but metagross, greninja, and ferrothorn deal with them. I was thinking about replacing Surf on Greninja because nobody in their right mind would switch a fire type in on him, but i am not sure what else to put there. I also really need to get a good fire type move somewhere, whether it is on one of these pokes or maybe introducing a new one.

These have been the biggest threats i have noticed:
Skarmory: Probably my biggest issue (especially those with roost) i cant poison it, and it is almost impossible for me to kill this thing because of my lack fire moves.

Ferrothorn: I sometimes can kill this thing with fire blast, but if that fails it is very hard to get rid of this thing.

Scizor: I can usually handle the non-roost variants, but when this thing have roost, it can be a pain.

Anything using Knock off: My games often come down to gliscor and chansey Late-game and if something that has knock off is still alive, it can cause me great pain.

Last edited:
Hey fren :]
Cool team you have there. Though I have just a few suggestions:

-On Metagross, replace Pursuit with Ice Punch or Hammer Arm. Ice Punch is great for hitting Landorus-Therian as well as Mega Salamence super effectively. It also gives great neutral coverage with Earthquake. Hammer Arm is to 2HKO Ferrothorn, basically. Choose whatever you feel fits better. The reason Pursuit is not really needed is because 50% of your team deals with Psychic types quite easily. The Latis, Mew, and Jirachi are all dealt with by Chansey + Gliscor + Ferrothorn anyways.

-Jolly --> Naive on Garchomp to ensure the 2HKO on Ferrothorn and Skarmory with Fire Blast.

-I suggest you run Taunt Gliscor because it basically shuts down Ferrothorn, Skarmory and stallbreaker Mew, which could prove to be annoying to your team. (Gliscor should have Poison Heal active prior to taking on Mew to avoid burns or Knock Offs)

-Change Leftovers to Shed Shell on Ferrothorn only because ORAS is filled to the brim with trappers and losing Ferro to them would be unfortunate.

-Replace Protect with Wish on Chansey. This means Chansey can keep its team at good health, especially Ferrothorn if you opt to remove Leftovers. Metagross also appreciates the recovery.

-Finally, I suggest you change Grass Knot-->HP Fire on Greninja. This alleviates the Ferrothorn and Scizor problem your team has.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'd go with every change that ArchPhantom suggested, except HP Fire on Greninja. Gunk Shot is a much better move, and will allow you to OHKO threats like Clefable and Sylveon. 40 Atk EVs and a Naive/Hasty Nature also guarantees an OHKO on Azumarril.

I am testing out removing surf for HP Fire and keeping grass knot. Nobody is ever gonna keep in a fire type against greninja, so i rarely ever use surf maybe it works best to catch them by surprise on the switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)