CaP 19 Pre-Evo - Part 5 - Move Pool Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
So... Sorry about the delay. I was very ill last week and was in no position to get these threads up and going... That and my disappointment over having to wait another week for ORAS really offed my mood generally for all things Pokemon.

But. Here we are and let's get this stuff sorted.

Remember, This is much stricter than a normal CaP Movepool! We are only allowed the moves which Plasmanta itself has in its movepool. You can move them around/change their order move TMs into level up moves and vice versa, but you cannot add any moves. This still leaves a surprising amount of variability and character for you to twist into the Prevo!

I am adding the original Plasmanta Movepool to this post below so you guys can work from it. Remember, there are currently no tutors in Gen 6, so this movepool is a little smaller than usual.

Plasmanta:
Level Up Moves (3-3-4 pattern up to Lv 29, 4-5-4-5 pattern after Lv 29)
-- Poison Sting
-- Thunder Shock
-- Supersonic
06 Poison Sting –R-
06 Thunder Shock –R-
09 Supersonic –R-
12 Acid
16 Encore *
19 Thunder Wave *
22 Clear Smog *
26 Ion Deluge
29 Poison Tail
33 Aqua Tail *
38 Parabolic Charge
42 Psywave
47 Discharge
51 Cross Poison *
56 Swagger
60 Thunder *
64 Eerie Impulse
Egg Moves (Water 1 / Water 2 )

Haze *
Signal Beam *
Splash
Wide Guard
Shock Wave
Water Pulse

(As a side note, all of these moves can be obtained through breeding with either Mantine or Gyarados, though some obviously can come from multiple sources.)
TMs/HMs
TM03: Psyshock *
TM06: Toxic *
TM09: Venoshock
TM10: Hidden Power
TM12: Taunt *
TM15: Hyper Beam
TM17: Protect *
TM18: Rain Dance *
TM21: Frustration *
TM24: Thunderbolt *
TM25: Thunder * -R-
TM27: Return *
TM29: Psychic *
TM32: Double Team
TM34: Sludge Wave *
TM36: Sludge Bomb *
TM42: Façade *
TM44: Rest *
TM45: Attract
TM48: Round
TM68: Giga Impact
TM73: Thunder Wave * -R-
TM87: Swagger –R-
TM88: Sleep Talk *
TM90: Substitute *
TM91: Flash Cannon *
TM93: Wild Charge *
TM99: Dazzling Gleam *
TM100: Confide
HM01: Cut

This thread will be open for about 48 Hours. You *can* final submit from the start of this thread, but as with stats I would like to see SOME reasoning about what you have done with the flavour for the prevo!

Do not forget to include a method of Evolution. Please keep them fairly traditional, I won't be slating anything as needlessly complex as Inkay's/Sliggoo's new ways. Different is interesting, but don't go too far.

Our Prevo So Far:
Typing:
Electric/Poison
Abilities: Storm Drain / Vital Spirit / Telepathy
Stats: 40 HP / 37 Atk / 79 Def / 91 SpA / 68 SpD / 70 Spe (BST 385)

Valzy

Destroyer of Worlds
is a Contributor Alumnus
Level Up
-- Poison Sting
-- Supersonic
04 Thunder Shock
09 Acid
12 Thunder Wave
17 Clear Smog
20 Poison Tail
25 Ion Deluge
28 Parabolic Charge
33 Discharge
36 Cross Poison
41 Thunder

TMs/HMs

Thunderstone

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

(3-3-4 pattern)

— Supersonic
06 Poison Sting
06 Thunder Shock
09 Supersonic
12 Acid
16 Encore
19 Thunder Wave
22 Clear Smog
26 Ion Deluge
29 Poison Tail
32 Aqua Tail
36 Parabolic Charge
39 Psywave
42 Discharge
46 Thunder
49 Eerie Impulse

Lots of inspiration from the Dragalge and Mantine families here, the first for being a non-Water-type aquatic Gen 6 Poison-type, the latter for being a ray, and both for being two-staged, having the same abilities at each stage, and in the Water 1 egg group. (For obvious reasons, it would be hard to carry out a Gyarados comparison, especially as the chosen stats aren't even close to the Magikarp-Gyarados progression.) In both families, the evo learns all the prevo's "level-0 (—)" moves and more: Dragalge learns Dragon Tail and Twister in addition to Skrelp's level-0 moves, while Mantine learns a ton of moves at level 0, including Mantyke's Tackle and Bubble. Also in both families, the prevo's move-learning patterns are similar to the evo's, until in Skrelp's case it evolves; then, it stops learning moves, and Dragalge's learning pattern changes. (Another notable Gen 6 family that has this happen is Noibat's, which is used as an inspiration for as well as elaborated on further in TMs. Mantyke's and Mantine's move-learning patterns are identical.) Because of this, Prevomanta's move-learning pattern is identical to Plasmanta's move-learning pattern up to 29 (3-3-4), and it does not learn Poison Sting or Thunder Shock at level —, while Plasmanta does. This leads to Prevomanta's last move, Eerie Impulse, being learnt at level 49, which is also the level Skrelp and Mantyke stop learning their moves.

There are two moves I removed from the higher levels: Cross Poison and Swagger. This is because not many of the Final Submissions in the art thread look like they could carry out these attacks: for example, noobiess's kite-manta and paintseagull's pajama-manta don't even have the means to use Cross Poison ("a slashing attack with a poisonous blade"), and everything looks way too cute to use Swagger :) You might be wondering why I kept Thunder at level 46 in accordance with the pattern instead of moving it higher, as it seems like a powerful move to learn at that level. There is precedent for this, though: the lowest level a NFE Pokemon learns Thunder in XY is actually 43 (Elekid), followed closely by 46 (Mareep). Additionally, keeping it at this level leads to the happy coincidence of Prevomanta's last move being learnt at the same level as Mantyke and Skrelp.

Haze
Signal Beam
Splash
Wide Guard
Shock Wave
Water Pulse

Obviously unchanged.

TM03: Psyshock
TM06: Toxic
TM12: Taunt
TM17: Protect
TM18: Rain Dance
TM21: Frustration
TM24: Thunderbolt
TM25: Thunder
TM27: Return
TM29: Psychic
TM34: Sludge Wave
TM36: Sludge Bomb
TM42: Facade
TM44: Rest
TM73: Thunder Wave
TM87: Swagger
TM88: Sleep Talk
TM90: Substitute
TM91: Flash Cannon
TM93: Wild Charge
TM99: Dazzling Gleam

Removed Hyper Beam and Giga Impact; the only Gen 6 NFE Pokemon that learns either is Amaura, which Prevomanta shares almost no traits with and which learns it by level-up too. Besides these removals, this pool is identical to Plasmanta's. Notably kept Psychic and Psyshock, being inspired by the Noibat line, which is a Gen 6 dual-typed family that has Telepathy as its hidden ability, keeps its types and abilities when evolving, and learns Psychic-type attacks only by TM. (Additional similarities between Plasmanta and Noivern: Noivern's level-up-move-learning pattern changes at the level Noibat evolves, and Noibat becomes much bigger upon evolution.)

Level up, at level 29

Plasmanta's level-up move pattern changes at this level, so it makes sense that its prevo should evolve then. Also inspired by Dragalge's and Skrelp's level-up-move-learning pattern, which changes for Dragalge at the level Skrelp evolves.

Last edited:

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Final Submission

Level Up Moves (4-2-4 Pattern until Lv 40, Gets Eerie Impulse at Lv 50)
-- Poison Sting
-- Thunder Shock
06 Supersonic
10 Acid
12 Encore *
16 Thunder Wave *
20 Clear Smog *
22 Double Team
26 Poison Tail
30 Aqua Tail *
32 Parabolic Charge
36 Psywave
40 Discharge
50 Eerie Impulse

I moved the level 6 moves into the level 0 moves because other Prevos do the same thing, I reduced the levels for the same reason.

I removed Thunder because Pokemon sometimes only get stronger moves when they're fully evolved, as in Close Combat for Infernape.

I replaced Ion Deluge for Double Team because on some different Pokemon, some Pokemon evolution lines learn moves at both levels, but the moves are different depending on which stage of evolution they are in (ex. Monferno Lvl 29 gets Torment, Infernape Lvl 29 gets Punishment).

I removed Swagger and Cross Poison because they are really overpowered moves to be used on a Pokemon who isn't fully evolved and who's potential sprites are either way too cute or don't have a blade to attack with cross poison.

I made Eerie Impulse break from the pattern because with powerful moves on some other Pokemon, there is a pattern that those moves break from.

Haze *
Signal Beam *
Splash
Wide Guard
Shock Wave
Water Pulse

No changes.

TMb3: Swagger
TM91: Flash Cannon *

I got rid of Thunder for the same reasons as the TM's.

I decided to keep Swagger because almost every single Pokemon who can get TMs/HMs can get Swagger as a TM, even though they might not be able to learn it by leveling up.

I got rid of Cut because even though it isn't very overpowered, all of the designs for Prevomanta don't seem very 'Cutty' (It's a word now)/they don't have anything sharp to use.

I got rid of Psychic because Psyshock seems like enough for a Pokemon that isn't even Psychic and/or immune/neutral to it, as it also seems like too overpowered of a move for a NFE Pokemon.

Got rid of Sludge Wave because even though it's only 5 BP higher than Sludge Bomb, it is more overpowered, which first stage Pokemon normally lack Unless you're a Head Smash Cranidos. This is still strongly debatable, I will most likely add it back.

Removed Hyper Beam and Giga Impact because of the BP and the fact that only one NFE can learn it (legally), which is Amaura.

Level up to level 33 with a Gyarados in the party.

Last edited:

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Final Submission

-- Poison Sting
6 Thunder Shock
9 Supersonic
12 Acid
16 Encore *
19 Thunder Wave *
22 Clear Smog *
26 Ion Deluge
29 Poison Tail
33 Aqua Tail *
38 Parabolic Charge
41 Psywave
45 Discharge
48 Thunder *
52 Eerie Impulse

Here, I decided to remove Cross Poison and Swagger, simply because neither one of them fits on our Prevo (Although Swagger is still a TM move because all pokemon who learn TMs get swagger, because do we really want to have another Volcarona Attract scenario?), in the case of the former it seems to powerful and most of the designs don't have anything that can use the move, and in the case of the latter it was go cutesy looking but at the same time all pokemon who can learn TMs are required to have Swagger, so I just removed it from level up. I kept Thunder because most electric types generally have access to this move so there would be no reason to take it out and pre evos get this move through level up anyways

Haze *
Signal Beam *
Splash
Wide Guard
Shock Wave
Water Pulse

Wasn't allowed to change, so I can't say anything

TMs/HMs
TM29: Psychic *

I removed quite a bit here, namely I removed Cut, Dazzling Gleam, Flash Cannon, Hyper Beam, and Giga Impact

Cut was removed because most of the designs simply just don't have anything on them that look like they can be slashed with

Both Dazzling Gleam and Flash Cannon where removed because most of the designs simply just don't look like they can incoperate light in them, so I felt like I had to remove these two moves. I would have removed Flash as well, but most Electric types get that move

Psyshock and Psychic stay because our Prevo has pretty much already been established to have the psychic abilities Plasmanta has

Hyper Beam and Giga Impact are taken out because barely any Prevos get these moves.

Evolves at Level 40

I did level 40 because another huge Water type pokemon, Wailord, evolves from its prevo at the same level

Last edited:

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

-- Poison Sting
-- Thunder Shock
-- Supersonic
06 Poison Sting
06 Thunder Shock
09 Supersonic
12 Acid
16 Encore
19 Thunder Wave
22 Clear Smog
26 Ion Deluge
29 Poison Tail
32 Aqua Tail
36 Parabolic Charge
39 Psywave
43 Discharge
46 Cross Poison
50 Swagger
53 Thunder
57 Eerie Impulse
(Water 1 / Water 2)

Haze
Signal Beam
Splash
Wide Guard
Shock Wave
Water Pulse
TM03: Psyshock
TM06: Toxic
TM12: Taunt
TM17: Protect
TM18: Rain Dance
TM21: Frustration
TM24: Thunderbolt
TM25: Thunder
TM27: Return
TM29: Psychic
TM34: Sludge Wave
TM36: Sludge Bomb
TM42: Façade
TM44: Rest
TM73: Thunder Wave
TM88: Sleep Talk
TM90: Substitute
TM93: Wild Charge
TM99: Dazzling Gleam

Evolution Method: Level 30

So, as per usual for me, I took a look at this movepool, and I didn't really see a lot that needed changing. Most moves that make sense for an evolution make sense for the base stage as well. So, as such, the actual move changes are minimal. As per usual, Hyper Beam and Giga Impact are removed, as almost no Pokemon that are not fully evolved (and never were) get these moves. However, I also thought that there might be something else that could be taken out to differentiate the prevo. While it is rare for a Pokemon to lose out on normal, common STAB moves in the base form, more powerful coverage moves are occasionally final stage exclusives. In accordance with this I took off Flash Cannon, since there are multiple examples of Pokemon who get it when their pre-evolutions do not, such as Blastoise, Lucario, and Camerupt. However, this was the only move in the movepool that really had a case like this, and as such, it was my only other removal.

The only other change here would be the levels for the level up moves. Since level up pattern often changes after evolution, I stuck the evolution in between the moves where the pattern changed. This evolution method is by far the most common in the game, as I didn't feel like doing something different here when there was no significant justification for it. Additionally, post evolution, I changed the pattern to 3-4-3-4, which mimics the pattern of Plasmanta, but at a much quicker rate, in accordance with how all level up evolution Pokemon gain moves faster before they evolve.

Last edited:
Final Submission
-- Poison Sting
-- Thunder Shock
-- Supersonic
06 Poison Sting –R-
06 Thunder Shock –R-
09 Supersonic –R-
12 Acid
16 Encore *
19 Thunder Wave *
22 Clear Smog *
26 Ion Deluge
29 Poison Tail
32 Aqua Tail *
36 Venoshock
40 Parabolic Charge
45 Psywave
49 Discharge
54 Cross Poison *
58 Dazzling Gleam
63 Swagger
67 Thunder *
72 Eerie Impulse

Haze *
Signal Beam *
Splash
Wide Guard
Shock Wave
Water Pulse
TMs/HMs

Level up knowing Venoshock

I looked at the movepool, and in my opinion, it was pretty good. What I did was that I cut down some of the really strong moves, like hyper beam, wild charge, and psychic (which I also dropped because it seemed a little uncharacteristic of it, and it already gets psywave) as it would be a bit OP. I moved venoshock into level 36, and I put dazzling gleam into level 58 from the TM list as those seem like moves it should have naturally, and it gives some more type coverage and possible sets without tms,but otherwise I left it alone. For the evolutionary method, one of the fake entries says it has a special venom, which got me thinking about venoshock, and so I gave that as the evolution condition, like with piloswine and ancientpower, and then shifted the move pattern so it would switch at level 36, where venoshock is learned, as it would be weird for the move pattern to switch at a random level.

Also, sorry that this is a bit late.

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I am pretty sad at how little discussion or submissions I had for this... But I guess I'll have to shut up shop now and throw down a poll.

Apologies for the delay, I wanted to give people more time to submit if they wanted too... Also Smash and ORAS have been taking up a fair amount of my time.

Getting the Poll together now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)