Sousa zenbu just a joke!

Funny day funny face funny place
Kishimu sekai de
Funny day happy day
Warau koe

Funny day funny face funny place
Hibiki watareba
Nani mo kamo kaerareru sa

Hello Smogon and welcome to my second RMT on this forum! Due to the huge unexpected popularity of my XY RU RMT, I decided to make a Rate My Team of one of my best ever teams, for the VGC`14 ruleset. I used it to get #1 in the glorious Pokemon Showdown Ladder, win the Nationals in Brazil (although no worlds invitation was given) and win the first Scottish Premier Challenge (Alpha Series) of the VGC`15 season. The theme of this RMT was inspired in the pretty cool anime called "Katekyo Hitman Reborn!", and its name was inspired in the Opening 7 of the anime.

The birth of this team was early June of 2014 (around 1 month before Brazilian Nationals) and I had never tried VGC14 before, although I have a legit Doubles Battle experience (I won Brazilian VGC`13 Nationals too, but this is story for another day). I wanted to build something solid that fit my aggresive playstyle but the team should also have good defensive switches, so I ended up with this team here. Enough talk, lets get it started and I hope you like it!

PS: This team was made for VGC14 metagame, so no ORAS move tutors and megas.

As I wanted something very solid and didnt have enough VGC14 experience to run gimmicks, of course I had to aim at the top of the viability ranking if I wanted to have a chance. Yes, Im talking about Mega Kankhaskan. In some of my battles it got either burned or -1 Attack and was still able to achieve many important kills. This is easily the best pokemon of the metagame and I cant really see any serious competitive VGC14 team without it.

After that I decided I wanted to run weather, becase as I am originally a BW OU player I am addicted to it. I tried Rain (Politoed+Ludicolo) and Sandstorm (Tyranitar), but I didnt really enjoy them. Looking at an old Sun team in NuggetBridge which I believe kingofmars used to place second in some major tournament, I decided that was I wanted to run. It may seem weird at first to run 2 megas in a team, but you can have my word it works a lot, because they work on totally opposite team matchups. Putting Charizard Y + Venusaur at first in the Team Preview usually forces the opponent to lead with pokemons that beat it, like RotomH and Talonflame. Thats when you do the unexpected and do not bring Sun at all, bringing Mega Kangkaskan instead. Besides, Venusaur in the Sun is awesome for Speed control, which is they key to win games in Double Battle formats.

Continue my Team Building proccess, I realized I just needed a water pokemon to run a FGW (Fire + Grass + Water) core in my team, which is another of my fetishes in every tier. Being always a top5 in usage for VGC14 and also one of my favourite pokemons, RotomW was the only possible choice for the team.

After that, I wanted another fast pokemon for my team (mainly to use in matchups were I wouldnt be able to bring CharizardY + Venusaur) and also an Electric-type and Rock-type resist. Taking another look in the usage list for tournaments and ladder I realized Garchomp is what I was looking for.

The last pokemon to join my team was Aegislash, as I wanted something slow to beat Trick Room teams and at the same type solid and useful as both defensive switch and offensive power against many team matchups. Aegislash is also ranking S pokemon and it is able to check Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Mawile (which the team was a bit weak against) pretty well, also having an important Fighting-type immunity to cover Mega Kangaskhan`s Fighting-type weakness.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Hammer Arm
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch​

Pretty standard moveset for big Kangaskhan. Fake Out for priority and flinching stuff, Return because it is a powerfull move and its main STAB, Sucker Punch for priority and some coverage and Hammer Arm because I love destroying pokemons that believe I run a standard Power-Up Punch, getting me an early kill (or a lot of damage) and usually a good offensive advantage in the game. I dont really care at all about the Speed reduce, as Mega Kangaskhan is still ridiculously strong and can always Sucker Punch stuff. Jolly is needed because I want that Speed Tie against popular Mega Kangaskhan, so I am able to Hammer Arm OHKO it 62.5% of the time if it is running a standard spread. Scrappy is pretty much the only usable ability for Kangaskhan, as it allows it to Fake Out ghost pokemons like Gengar, for exemple, and deal some damage on a weakened Aegislash with Hammer Arm.

Some calcs to show the reason why I love Hammer Arm over Power-Up Punch:
252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Hammer Arm vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 168-198 (93.3 - 110%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Hammer Arm vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 201-237 (109.2 - 128.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Ferrothorn: 126-150 (69.6 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 156 HP / 20 Def / 204 SpA / 4 SpD / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Overheat
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect​

The Big Boss of the team and the reason for this RMT`s name choice. While Heat Wave is its main move, hitting both pokemons of the opponent, Solar Beam allows it to abuse Sun and hit pokemons like RotomW, Politoed, Tyranitar, Mega Gyarados and Mamoswine. Overheat is a pretty solid choice here, although it may sound out of place. Ive never wished I had a different move here (like Ancient Power, Air Slash or Roost), as Overheat has saved me in many games and does get very important OHKOs. Protect is needed for obvious reason, mainly for turn 1 double Protect with Venusaur in the field so I can quickly put something to sleep with Venusaur and hit hard the other pokemon (usually) with Charizard Y. I run Modest because I have no reason to fight a war against pokemons like Salamence (which usually runs Choice Scarf and outspeed it anyway) and other Mega Charizard Y, so I just prefer the extra power. It has enough Speed to be faster than standard RotomW, Adamant Mamoswine, Adamant Mega Gyarados and Jolly Mega Tyranitar, and the rest of the efforts are put into HP and 4 in Def and SpD for extra points. I survived around 3 of my Nationals battles with Charizard living hits with 1-5 HP left, so trust me when I say this is the best effort for Mega Charizard Y (in this team at least).

Some calcs to show the reason why I run Overheat:
204+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Overheat vs. 160 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan in Sun: 394-465 (100.7 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

204+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr in Sun: 373-441 (90 - 106.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

204+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 200+ SpD Rotom-W: 232-274 (76.3 - 90.1%)

204+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 390-460 (96.5 - 113.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

204+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 186-219 (52.1 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Venusaur (M) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 196 HP / 4 Def / 188 SpA / 4 SpD / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect​

It works very well with Mega Charizard Y, multiplying by 2 its Speed in Sun and allowing it to put pokemons to Sleep while abusing No Sleep Clause from VGC ruleset. It is efforted to outspeed standard RotomW outside of the Sun and outspeed the fastest Megas (Manectric, Alakazam, Aerodactyl) in the Sun. It also outspeeds base 100 Speed Choice Scarfed pokemons with neutral nature (mainly Salamence and Zapdos) in the Sun. I didnt feel like outspeeding Scarf +Speed base 100 pokemons was needed at all, because the team can deal with them with other methods, so I didnt want to waste more efforts in Speed. Then I distributed the remaing efforts in SpA and some bulky, with a Modest nature allowing it to do extra damage. Wide Lens is the best item for Venusaur, rising Sleep Powder`s accuracy from 75% to 82.5%. Its still a probabilistic frawled strategy, but putting pokemons to sleep is so good in Double Battle formats that this is worth the risk.

Garchomp (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect​

Pretty standard moveset for big Chomper. Dragon Claw and Earthquake are both strong STAB and powerful moves. Rock Slide is very useful to hit pokemons like Mega Charizard Y, Talonflame and RotomH (and has a nice 30% Flinch chance), and also hits both pokemons of the opponent, some times killing something while doing damage to another pokemon. Protect is a needed move in Double Battle formats, as it scouts what the opponent is about to do, prevents Fake Out and stalls a turn for passive damage to happen or Trick Room`s counter to fade.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 4 SpA / 172 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect​

Being my favourite to use pokemon and also one of the top in usage, RotomW is the glue of the team. It allows me to do defensive switches while being annoying with Will-O-Wisp. Thunderbolt and Hydro Pump are its main STAB moves and Protect is used because its an amazing move in Double Battle formats. Sitrus Berry is the best item for RotomW, allowing it to get very convenient a recovery without needing to waste a turn and a move slot with Rest+Chesto. This spread allows to always survive special attacks like Solar Beam from Modest Mega Charizard Y and also physical attacks like Return from Adamant Mega Kangaskhan and 3 average damage Dragon Claw from Jolly Garchomp (factoring Sitrus Berry).

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 172+ SpD Rotom-W: 130-154 (82.8 - 98%)

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 68 Def Rotom-W: 126-148 (80.2 - 94.2%)

252 Atk Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 68 Def Rotom-W: 61-73 (38.8 - 46.4%)

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- King's Shield​

Aegislash is the answer from the team to Trick Room strategies, being able to underspeed most of their threats and hit very hard. Pretty standard moveset who got very popular in USA Nationals, with Shadow Ball and Flash Cannon being its main STAB moves which provide Aegislash with a solid coverage. Substitute is awesome for mindgames (this pokemons` speciality) and surprise factor, being very useful when the opponent is about to double Protect (usually scared of Fake Out from Mega Kangaskhan) or sack (switch to a weakened pokemon) + Protect when Aegislash`s partner is able to get a kill. The EV spread maximizes its destructive potential, with max Special Attack and max HP, allowing it to take hits while hitting very hard.

Thanks everyone for reading until the end of this RMT. I really hope you guys liked it because this is the best VGC team I have ever built. Shoutouts to my #baril and skype friends, as well as obviously my girlfriend Briyella (Sashay) and my best buddy HaxBro.K for breeding these awesome pokemons for me. Feel free to give me some likes if you either liked the team or believe I am a better player than CTC. Peace.

VGC14 Brazilian Nationals:
Finals Game 1: CZ3G-WWWW-WWWD-JML2
Finals Game 2: MG2G-WWWW-WWWD-JYKC
Semifinals Game 1: DQQW-WWWW-WWWD-JYWD

Swiss Game: SLVG-WWWW-WWWD-JHMV
Swiss Game: ETEG-WWWW-WWWD-JHDZ
Swiss Game: XK4G-WWWW-WWWD-JYBW

VGC15 Premier Challenge:

Finals Game 1: 5EJG-WWWW-WWWD-JMTH
Finals Game 2: HC9G-WWWW-WWWD-JMVS
Semifinals Game 2: WKYW-WWWW-WWWD-JNDJ

Tsuna Sawada (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 156 HP / 20 Def / 204 SpA / 4 SpD / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect

Ryohei (Venusaur) (M) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 196 HP / 4 Def / 188 SpA / 4 SpD / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Hibari Kyouya (Garchomp) (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Gokudera Hayato (Kangaskhan) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Hammer Arm
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch

Yamamoto (Rotom-Wash) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 4 SpA / 172 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Rukudo Mukuro (Aegislash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- King's Shield

Last edited:

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
Really nice team bro :) (gotta love that Katekyo Hitman Reborn n.n) might I ask why you didn't use solar beam over Giga drain? I'm guessing its for when you're out of sun and recovery. Was there a time where you wished you had solar beam?

HeIIraiser

tough like igglybuff
Nice team, bro.
Nice 100% acc Sleep Powder too jajajajaja

cogao porra imo
Best Venusaur ever, havent missed a single Sleep Powder in more than 30 games. <3
Also thanks for the 31/0/31/31/31/0 Shiny Aegislash. n_n

Really nice team bro :) (gotta love that Katekyo Hitman Reborn n.n) might I ask why you didn't use solar beam over Giga drain? I'm guessing its for when you're out of sun and recovery. Was there a time where you wished you had solar beam?
Hi there, Im happy you liked the team and the theme. :) Reborn <3

The reason why I run Giga Drain over Solar Beam is because Rain and Sandstorm teams are very popular in VGC14, so you really dont want to Solar Beam in a turn where there is the possibility of the opponent switching to Tyranitar/Politoed to get Weather Control, because then you will lose a turn with Venusaur charging its attack and the opponent will likely target and kill it with faster pokemon (because the weather is not Sun anymore). Also ye, the recovery Giga Drains offers to Venusaur comes in handy in many situations.

I cant really remember a situation where I needed the extra power from Solar Beam to win a match, but this has probably happened some times in Ladder games.

The Brazilian VGC scene is a joke j/s
The VGC scene in Brazil is still warming up. This years Nationals had around 60 players in Seniors, which I believe is a pretty solid number considering there was no invitation to the World Championship.

Hey dude, like u know, today this team wins VGC Belo Horizonte Sanctioned Championship, unfortunately was a simple tour without CPs, just PPs.
BUT your team wins AGAIN, my pupil "learn" how to use a few minutes before Round 1, and even missplaying sometimes, he won.

I'm proud :D

But just 2 things that I suggest u:

Low Kick > Hammer Arm
You know, since November 21st we can use ORAS tutor and I did another Kanga to u, just waiting u to trade

And the other thing is
Life Orb > Lum Berry
Garchomp even burned deals a considerable damage, and with LO, you could runs Substitute too, to troll any WOW user, like Rotoms.

Venu has not missed a simple Sleep Powder yet.
If you wanna edit your main post with replays, send me a msg in facebook :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)