Other ORAS Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to chime in. How do people think Mega Pinsir will fair in the new metagame? I recently came back after not playing since Mega Luke's ban, and I found it most intriguing to use him, since I don't find many of the other non-banned mega's interesting (besides maybe Gyarados who I plan on making a team for too). Every time I get an SD up... I win. He hits like a truck. Opinions?
Well it was completely overshadowed by Mega Salamence so I think it is a kind of a underrated threat of a moment, which is pretty funny considering it was one of the most dangerous mons in XY. But honestly I still think it belongs in A+ as nothing has really changed from XY now that Mega Mence is gone. It doesn't beat all the new mega's but a fair number nonetheless and can still work around the ones it can't beat one on one.

Last edited:
Well it was completely overshadowed by Mega Salamence so I think it is a kind of a underrated threat of a moment, which is pretty funny considering it was one of the most dangerous mons in XY. But honestly I still think it belongs in A+ as nothing has really changed from XY now that Mega Mence is gone. It doesn't beat all the new mega's but a fair number nonetheless and can still work around the ones it can't beat one and one.
Mega Mence was just... Not fair. It isn't fair to compare any mega to him maybe besides Mega Luke or Mega Khan (I put Mega Gengar below Mence nigh the Perish Song hax). I just meant now, I can see him climbing back into the limelight and become one of the premier sweepers. It doesn't take much to come in on something that it can threaten and they can't threaten back (like a Terrakion locked into CC), get a set up and then proceed to nuke. I'm still testing, and I'm enjoying it right now.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Chesnaught seems to be a great pick in this meta. It's incredibly similar to ferrothorn, but it's not set up fodder because of the new move tutors. Super Fang is a great asset as it alone beats grass types that cause chesnaught problems, while essentially walling them with grass typing and bulletproof.

Like Grass/fighting is arguably better than GRass/steel just because you can build your team to handle chesnaught's weaknesses more than ferrothorn. being able to switch in on terrak, specs secret sword from keldeo, EQ's, and taking hp fire's like nothing is incredible.

Gyarados and Venusaur may get a little bit more usage thanks to Gyarados's buffs and the shift in the meta to help venu. A great answer to both is none other than Chesnaught; superfang handles really limits how they're able to play with those mons. I've been using a spread of 252/160/96 which prevents venu from getting a 2hko with hp fire and providing decent bulk to ware off weaker special attacks.

The moveset of chesnaught is entirely dependent on your team, but you have a few options. Spikes, Spiky shield to help scout for choice mons and wittle down opponents, leech seed/synthesis, super fang, drain punch.

I'll probably write a little bit more on chesnaught after i do more testing as he fits much better on niche teams than ferrothorn. you can throw ferrothorn on teams and itll help make the team better, but chesnaught doesnt have the same glaring weaknesses that ferrothorn has. So essentially you can cover up Chesnaught's weaknesses much better than ferrothorn.

shed shell ferro is so good tho at not getting trapped by gothitelle and nobody is going to run shed shell chesnaught.

Last edited:

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Yeah Specs Dragalge (AV is bad) has a niche in being a pretty good partner for Mega Gyarados (shout outs to Srn for sharing this with me n_n) due to being able to check Keldeo reasonably well, while also taking on the likes of Azumarill and clef to help aid a sweep. Additionally, Dragalge is also able to take on bulky grasses like Chesnaught when running sludge wave, which is huge because that thing is a bitch for gyara.

Specs Dragalge most likely won't be seen very often, but he has a pretty cool niche that shouldn't be overlooked.
Av dragalge is by far bad, and makes a great core with alomomola + mew beating a ton off the meta, and is an extremely solid sdef sponge with wish support.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
shed shell ferro is so good tho at not getting trapped by gothitelle and nobody is going to run shed shell chesnaught.
It also makes sure that you can't get magnet pulled.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Av dragalge is by far bad, and makes a great core with alomomola + mew beating a ton off the meta, and is an extrenrly solid sdef sponge with wish support.
Wait are you trying to say that AV dragalge is good? First you say that "it's by far bad" and then go on to say that it beats a ton of the meta. Maybe you meant "it's by far from bad"?
Anyways, AV dragalge is bad because the only viable set in OU is choice specs that acts as a great wallbreaker. Saying that you pair it with Almomola makes it good is wrong because Alomomola is setup fodder for so many Pokemon such as sub dd mega gyara, sub cm Keldeo, etc. It's just so passive and dislikes all the new offensive Megas from ORAS.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Wait are you trying to say that AV dragalge is good? First you say that "it's by far bad" and then go on to say that it beats a ton of the meta. Maybe you meant "it's by far from bad"?
Anyways, AV dragalge is bad because the only viable set in OU is choice specs that acts as a great wallbreaker. Saying that you pair it with Almomola makes it good is wrong because Alomomola is setup fodder for so many Pokemon such as sub dd mega gyara, sub cm Keldeo, etc. It's just so passive and dislikes all the new offensive Megas from ORAS.
Dragalge doesnt need a choice specs to dish out a lot off damage, and yes dragalge is very good in that core. Saying that alomomola is setup fodder for gyara just makes me laugh, because basically a lot off defensive pokemon are and will be setup on by it lol. I never said dragalge beats a ton off the meta, i said the core did and Im aware off everything u said in ur post.

While I can appreciate that Galge is all about damage and specs hits hardest, there's something about both my primary attacks having immunities or hefty resistances that makes we wary of being locked into them, lest mega Altaria or Steel comes in to set up on my Draco Meteor or Sludge Wave. Do you think that I could get away with using life orb or some other item instead?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
While I can appreciate that Galge is all about damage and specs hits hardest, there's something about both my primary attacks having immunities or hefty resistances that makes we wary of being locked into them, lest mega Altaria or Steel comes in to set up on my Draco Meteor or Sludge Wave. Do you think that I could get away with using life orb or some other item instead?
Dragon Fang is your best option to bluff a choice item.

Expert Belt would work for those purposes, but if you aren't running Specs on Dragalge, you should probably just run another Dragon entirely. For example, LO Latios hits nearly as hard as LO Dragalge with its Draco Meteor, and is a better mon in every aspect other than wallbreaking. The Poison coverage just isn't worth it.

Specs Dragalge is cool and all, but on my latest team featuring it and mega gyarados It was more often than not a detriment. It has so many switchins its not even funny, and being locked into draco on a clefable/ Altaria is a hard spot to come back from sometimes since they just get free setup. Same goes to steel types. It seems really good on paper, but i'm not a fan at all.

In my time using dragalge it has definitely impressed me with its sheer power but also let me down. I feel if you take specs off it loses a lot of what makes it viable in OU. Adding something like toxic plate or dragon fang while good in theory leaves the rest of your attacks coming off a vanilla 97 S ATK stat which is simply too weak to justify. While life orb seems like a good middle ground it's not. Dragalge needs to keep as much HP as possible so it can deal with the walls you want it to break. The fact that your stab attacks both have types with immunity to them really hurts the specs set. Dragalge is really fun when it works but when it doesn't it feels like dead weight.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I was looking for good checks to Mega Lopunny on offense that are not named Scarf Landorus-T and i came across this set, which turned out to be more effective than i anticipated:

Celebi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Checks Mega Lopunny, Keldeo, Landorus, Thundurus, Mega Diancie, Mega Gyarados, Mega Sceptile, Mega Manectric, and more, while Healing Wish and U-turn are godsends for any scarfer. Earth Power, HP Ice, and HP Fire are also good options if you can fit them somewhere.

Btw, what checks have you guys been running for max HP / max SpD Bold Mega Slowbro with CM + Iron Defense on offense? Outside of TG + Energy Ball Manaphy, Modest Energy Ball Mega Sceptile, and NP Thundurus, i can't think of any other non-niche semi-reliable check to it.

I was looking for good checks to Mega Lopunny on offense that are not named Scarf Landorus-T and i came across this set, which turned out to be more effective than i anticipated:

Celebi @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Checks Mega Lopunny, Keldeo, Landorus, Thundurus, Mega Diancie, Mega Gyarados, Mega Sceptile, Mega Manectric, and more, while Healing Wish and U-turn are godsends for any scarfer. Earth Power, HP Ice, and HP Fire are also good options if you can fit them somewhere.

Btw, what checks have you guys been running for max HP / max SpD Bold Mega Slowbro with CM + Iron Defense on offense? Outside of TG + Energy Ball Manaphy, Modest Energy Ball Mega Sceptile, and NP Thundurus, i can't think of any other non-niche semi-reliable check to it.
Mega Slowbro was the victim of the week a week or two ago, so it might be worth it to look through that thread. Mega Gyara with Taunt, Specs Magnezone, and Mega Heracross are some other good options posted in the thread. I've also found Specs Raikou works, it comes close to OHKOing with Thunderbolt.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus

Celebi @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Heal Block Latios + 3 attacks on offense is pretty cool, shutting down slowbro with ease while also wearing down mega sableye for other teammates to take care off while also beating chansey 1v1 is pretty cool, just thought i could throw it out there.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Heal Block
- Defog/Thunderbolt, etc.

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
I could be wrong but I am pretty sure Heal Block is bounced by Magic Bounce. Mega Sab hence does not care about Heal Block and still devours you by setting up or attacking you outright.
yeah thats true nevermind that latios set then lol, i hate mega-sableye

Reactions: zbr
latios still beats sableye 1 on 1 though, for what its worth.
It actually doesn't. If Sableye hasn't mega evolved it can get a free calm mind off and easily tank a draco and recover off the damage. If Sableye has already mega evolved then it just needs to click recover on the turn that Latios uses draco because it will never OHKO.
As long as Sableye is healthy, Latios never wins.

It actually doesn't. If Sableye hasn't mega evolved it can get a free calm mind off and easily tank a draco and recover off the damage. If Sableye has already mega evolved then it just needs to click recover on the turn that Latios uses draco because it will never OHKO.
As long as Sableye is healthy, Latios never wins.
What about Mega Latios, or Calm Mind Latios?

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Greninja.

216 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Slowbro: 257-304 (65.2 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
216 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. +1 252 HP / 252 SpD Slowbro: 174-205 (44.1 - 53.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
A mon that imo could help a lot vs slowbro is taunt LO keldeo, it lures slowbro in and basically locks it into scald, then comfortably switch out to something that doesn't care about scald and do shit

A mon that imo could help a lot vs slowbro is taunt LO keldeo, it lures slowbro in and basically locks it into scald, then comfortably switch out to something that doesn't care about scald and do shit
In that case wouldn't Taunt anything be good for Slowbro? Keldeo specifically can't do much back to Slowbro besides HP Electric, so something like Gengar or Thundurus would be much better for this.

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
In that case wouldn't Taunt anything be good for Slowbro? Keldeo specifically can't do much back to Slowbro besides HP Electric, so something like Gengar or Thundurus would be much better for this.
I think the difference here is that keldeo is commonly a setup bait fpr slowbro, while the two you mentioned force it out. But yea probably it isn't that great if it can't abuse itself those free turns created by taunt, mine was just an idea.

just started really playing 6th gen and one really underrated pokemon ive used is regular gyrados this is the set ive been using

gyrados
Lum Berry
88 Hp/ 192 atk/ 4 def/ 224 speed
waterfall
bounce
dd
substitue

sets up on a lot of common defensive and offensive pokes like m-slowbro ,chesnaught, m-venu, keldeo,and greninja and many more. lum is great on this set because it bluffs m-gyra and destroys most of his common switch-ins it owns thundures when he comes into to t-wave you can sub on it so instead of being revenged you actually set-up. you can also run taunt to screw up skarm, quag, or clef. pair with a mon who can attract ferro and scald burn it as this gyra can setup on burned ferro.really anti-meta mon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)