ORAS Doubles Viability Rankings [Nominations]

Status
Not open for further replies.

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
can you not use a garbage mon + forget spread damage when making a point lol

I do agree that Heatran should drop down a bit, probably to a, thanks to the viability increase in rain, but a- is a bit severe. It's still a Pokemon that defines the meta and its sub set is still lethal; if one of its checks is not out on the field, it's easy to set up a Sub and get around those checks (diancie gets nailed by earth power, metagross + gallade get hit pretty hard with heat wave).

also one last nom from me :]

venusaur from a --> a-

Mega venusaur is still pretty good in the metagame, but it took a hit due to mega mence. The normal poke isn't too good, either, thanks to the viability of Charyzard drastically dropping.

Mega Latias b- ----> a-

This thing hasn't seen as much usage then I'd like but it's an amazing poke, sporting 80/120/150 defenses with a nice 140 spA stat its the epitome of a good tailwind setter, it reliably gets it up while retaining the ability to do damage. Also she fucks with rain, setting up tailwind to deal with their swift swimmer(s). Also rain has an incredibly hard time dealing damage to it, due to its excellent typing.

252+ Atk Swampert Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Latias: 170-202 (56.4 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 240-284 (79.7 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Salamence Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 242-288 (80.3 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That's without any hp or def, that most latias will run, it's living a sucker punch from it's biggest counter, bisharp, living against mega swampert and setting up t-wind/dealing damage back, and lives a dragon claw from mega salamence, hitting back with a draco meteor ko.

Latias (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 88 SpA / 32 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Protect

Cool set courtesy of KyleCole, usually lives a +1 dclaw from mega mence (+1 252 Atk Salamence Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 136 Def Mega Latias: 324-384 (89 - 105.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO) and outspeeds jolly breloom, I've been playing around and tailwind/protect are interchangeable since it's bulky enough to not run protect and get away with it. Other spreads exist, including one that lives a timid lo draco from latios.

Last edited:
Yes I know I never post around here but I'd also like to throw my hat in for increasing Diancie's rank for Doubles.

-Diamond Storm can hit multiple enemies, and the chance to gain Defense procs with each hit, allowing multiple buffs from one use of the move. This should not be underestimated in Doubles, as 50% is pretty good for an attacking move of this nature.
---This is before factoring in Reflect and Light Screen, or IVs/EVs. With a healthy investment in Sp. Def and Dual Screens on top of the Defense buffs, Diancie simply should not die to direct damage.
-Diamond Storm in general hits very hard, especially from Mega Diancie.
-With the amount of sheer defense Diancie gets, it can easily run an All-Out Attacker set that gets perfect coverage (Fairy/Rock/Ground/Psychic) while shrugging attacks off. That is terrifying coming from something that can jump up to 160 Attack/Sp. Atk at any moment.
-Clear Body -> Magic Bounce is amazing. This means its stats can't be lowered at all in its base form (namely on switch-in), and it's still a major chore to try it after mega evolving due to non-attack moves being bounced back. It can't even be ejected due to its Fairy-typing and Magic Bounce blocking all ejector moves, short of the odd Red Card.
---Magic Bounce is just awesome in and of itself.
-Mega Diancie screws over a lot of other metagame 'Mons, notably a fair amount from the S and A ranks, with its typing and Speed tier alone.

I note these things and I don't understand why Diancie isn't in A or A+, or possibly even S. Diamond Storm is horrifying in Doubles (and Triples), Magic Bounce is always cool, and a perfect coverage attacker with all this bulk and power is incredible.

Last edited:

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ok voting time
like in the previous thread, vote "yes" if you want that certain pokemon to go to that tier, "no" if you dont want it to
pretty self explanatory

Diancie rising to A
Azumarill rising to A+
Zapdos rising to A-
Bisharp rising to A+
Swampert rising to A
Mamoswine rising to A-
Sylveon rising to A-
Heatran falling to A
Venusaur falling to A-
Latias rising to A-

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
Diancie rising to A: yes
Azumarill rising to A+: yes
Zapdos rising to A-: yes
Bisharp rising to A+: hell yes
Swampert rising to A: hell yes
Mamoswine rising to A-: no
Sylveon rising to A-: yes
Heatran falling to A: yes
Venusaur falling to A-: yes
Latias rising to A-: hell yes

lol sry

edit: actually no to mamo

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Diancie rising to A: yes
Azumarill rising to A+: no
Zapdos rising to A: no
Bisharp rising to A+: yes
Swampert rising to A: yes
Heatran falling to A: yes
Venusaur falling to A- - abstain
Latias rising to A-: abstain

Diancie rising to A: no
Azumarill rising to A+: no
Zapdos rising to A: no
Bisharp rising to A+: YES YES hell yes omg
Swampert rising to A: no
Mamoswine rising to A-: yes
Heatran falling to A: no
Venusaur falling to A- - yes
Latias rising to A-: abstain

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
Diancie rising to A: no
Azumarill rising to A+: yes
Zapdos rising to A-: abstain
Bisharp rising to A+: omg yes
Swampert rising to A: yes
Heatran falling to A: no
Venusaur falling to A-: yes
Latias rising to A-: yes

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Diancie rising to A Yes
Azumarill rising to A+ No
Zapdos rising to A- No
Bisharp rising to A+ No
Swampert rising to A No
Mamoswine rising to A- No
Sylveon rising to A- No
Heatran falling to A Yes
Venusaur falling to A- Yes
Latias rising to A- Yes

Diancie rising to A: Yes
Azumarill rising to A+: No
Zapdos rising to A-: No
Bisharp rising to A+: Yes
Swampert rising to A: YES
Mamoswine rising to A-: No
Sylveon rising to A-: Yes
Heatran falling to A: No
Venusaur falling to A-: Yes
Latias rising to A-: YES

Zapdos rising to A-: Yes
Swampert rising to A: Yes
Heatran falling to A: Yes
Latias rising to A-: Yes

Fangame10

DOU Master of Snow-based Trick Room teams
is a Tiering Contributor
Azumarill rising to A+: Yes
Bisharp rising to A+: Yes...bummer tho
Sylveon rising to A-: YES!!!!

Zapdos rising to A-: Yes
Bisharp rising to A+: No

Azumarill raising to A+: Yes
Swampert rising to A: No
Mamoswine rising to A-: Yes

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Sylveon rising to A-: No

Diancie rising to A Yes
Zapdos rising to A- No
Bisharp rising to A+ Yes
Swampert rising to A No
Sylveon rising to A- Yes
Heatran falling to A Yes
Latias rising to A- uhhhh sure

Diancie rising to A Yes it's Mega hits a great speed tier and it has a great typing, a highly spammable STAB spread move and an immunity to Will-O-Wisp
Azumarill rising to A+ No I can never get belly drum off and it is too slow. It is a huge WoW magnet and is hard walled by ferro. But I still think it is great, because it both hits hard and has priority. A neutral is perfect for it IMO
Zapdos rising to A- Abstain I would vote no because I never see it or use it, and from what I know, it seems outclassed by rotom. But as I said, I never use it.
Bisharp rising to A+ Yes intimidate is good in the meta and bisharp is probably the best counter to intimidate stacking teams, plus knock off is a really good move.
Swampert rising to A Yes rain is one of the best play styles in the meta now, and Swampert is probably one of the best abusers, so A is probably a good place for it.
Mamoswine rising to A- No too frail and can't always OHKO Mence and Lando with Ice Shard IIRC
Sylveon rising to A- Yes I was the one who proposed it.
Heatran falling to A No it has a great typing and is still really threatening.
Venusaur falling to A- Yes sun isn't as good as it was before, and I've always found mega-saur very underwhelming.
Latias rising to A- Yes has great bulk and is one of the best setters of tailwind in my opinion. It also has a good mega and hits relatively hard. I think that Latios is a small bit better, but they each do their role differently enough that I don't think it's outclassed.

I think that everyone should say why they vote for something rather than that they do. It can help with discussion later and it can help persuade other people to vote your way.

Last edited:

qsns

VGCPL Champion
why isn't Amoonguss A+? It gets Spore, rage powder and good bulk, coupled with the amazing ability Regenerator.
In XY, especially right when Sleep Clause was lifted, it was definitely an A+ Pokemon. Due to the fact that almost all teams have adapted to it and the rise of Mega Salamence, it's dropped. I could definitely see it rising back to A+ honestly, considering that it's a fantastic partner for said Mega Mence anyways.

Diancie rising to A Yes
Zapdos rising to A- Yes
Bisharp rising to A+ Yes
Swampert rising to A No
Mamoswine rising to A- Yes
Sylveon rising to A- Yes
Heatran falling to A Yes
Latias rising to A- No

Last edited:
Swampert rising to A: Yes (combination of strength, bulk, and speed make it hard to stop inside rain, it's really good imo)
Sylveon rising to A-: Yes (is much better than some people give it credit for, usually crushes unprepared teams)
Heatran falling to A: No (wll x heatran 4ever)

Diancie rising to A Yes.
Azumarill rising to A+ Yes.
Zapdos rising to A- Yes. (starting to realize I nominated more things than I recall lol)
Bisharp rising to A+ No. (While getting them Defiant boosts works well in the meta, the fact that it can't beat Diancie bar Focus Sash when Steel-types like Metagross and Scizor can is a big deal.
Swampert rising to A Unsure. (I feel like using Swampert can create a problem in losing to rain teams w/ Ludicolo. This creates a situation where using Talonflame sounds very forced in order to beat opposing rain. This lack of flexibility in teambuilding options makes me question this ranking. Additionally, Rotom-W which is quite common can really threaten it, along with Intimidate. I'd be positive it can fit in A-, but A is something I think may be pushing the line. However, I'm not saying no, as I have a lack of experience w/ this pokemon.)
Mamoswine rising to A- Yes.
Sylveon rising to A- Yes.
Heatran falling to A No. (This pokemon is a staple on many semi-Trick Room builds, walls sun (which can beat rain and could possibly be on the rise in the future due to that) and Talonflame, resists all forms of Hyper Voice spam, and most importantly is a key pokemon for switching into Salamence Returns. In addition to that it can pack unexpected options like HP Ice and WoW to actually make things rather difficult for Salamence (especially if its the common Shuca Berry Heatran))
Venusaur falling to A- Yes. (No further than this for sure though)
Latias rising to A- No. (mega is okay, but Salamence is just a really good Mega and dropping it for Latias-Mega seems fairly difficult to justify bar uncommon situations, and Latios generally outclasses non-Mega versions. B+ seems like the ideal place to me, as it performs specific sets solidly, but is not one to really excel in many places. Also someone use Calm Mind Stored Power because that would be awesome <3)

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Diancie rising to A Yes
Zapdos rising to A- No
Bisharp rising to A+ No
Swampert rising to A No
Sylveon rising to A- Yes
Heatran falling to A No
Latias rising to A- No

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)