Battle Maison Discussion & Records

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, I used the Truant Durant team JohnJohn0624 posted and it's totally awesome! I was able to beat Nuit in no time! Thank you very much for this team
and thank you Doubt for linking me there.

This AI abusing is just what I was looking for. Now, by any chance, are there more teams like this for the other Battle types?

There were two times where I struggled with this team. At one time, I encountered a Honedge with a Quick Claw. It was pretty nasty
because the Quick Claw activated four times and even two times in a row! After I beat Nuit, I wanted to try the team at the Battle Institute
and came across a Mismagius with Mean Look. This was pretty much a checkmate against me.

One question. In some of the battles, when I used Icicle Spear, the move missed! But it has an accuracy of 100. How can it be possible that it misses?
Honedge with Quick Claw? I guess you only just managed to beat the regular Chatelaine (20 win streak). We'd be interested to hear how the team worked for you in Super Singles if you ever try that!

As for Icicle Spear missing, you may have encountered a Pokemon holding an item like Bright Powder or Lax Incense, or their ability gave them an evasion boost like Sand Veil in a Sandstorm etc.

edit: gg Eppie

Yes, I beat the regular Nuit. I was stuck there with another team, so I came here to get inspiration. I'll definitely try Super Singles!

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If the Maison is functionally identical in ORAS, can we "add" to any current streaks from XY? I'm not looking forward to having to do another 1700 wins in Triples just to get to square 1. I know the enforcement of that will be pretty difficult and I guess it does sound kinda shady. Thoughts?
I managed to miss this earlier, so pardon the late reply. As you suggest, enforcement is a big issue. An unscrupulous player could save videos every 50 battles or so in XY, then wait until he loses, then start a streak in ORAS to chain to the deepest "still active" video save. I don't expect any of our serious contributors to do such a thing, but I think it's best not to tempt folk. Plus, this maintains the precedent of previous generations, where we never allowed adding streaks on two different cartridges (Diamond + Platinum, Black + Black2, etc.) together. My suspicion is that the more fun choice for people with long XY streaks will be to try out entirely new teams in ORAS, rather than grind through new streaks with an old team, since as you note, it's always a bit frustrating starting at zero with a team with which you've already posted a big streak. On the subject of new teams, I'm mostly done with the grindy tasks of getting TMs, completing the Pokedex, etc. so plan to start thinking about what I want to do in the ORAS Maison soon.

Wonderful! I was able to beat Nuit in Super Single Battle! I'm very glad that this worked so well.
Big thanks again to JohnJohn0624 for creating the team I used! I uploaded the videos of the battle against her in regular Singles and Super Singles. The codes are: ZPNG-WWWW-WWWG-QVQR
and DM5W-WWWW-WWWG-QVUM, respectively.

The only battle in Super Singles where I got the panic P in my eyes was when a Poliwrath appeared. Even with the Shell Smash buffs my Cloyster wasn't able to OHKO it. It
then used Circle Throw, switching Cloyster for Durant and all buffs were gone. It afterwards wiped out Durant and although the Poliwrath had very low HP left, the now non-buffed
Cloyster couldn't defeat it, and it was wiped out. Thankfully, I was able to win the battle with Garchomp. This battle was really nasty.

What would you should I do next? I'd like to beat at least another one, so I unlock the strongest Wally Battle.

Oh... I'm sorry. But nevertheless, I'm very thankful for the person who created this team! Does anybody have any team suggestions for the other Battle types
which work like this Truant Durant team worked?

L
NoCheese created the team in Gen 5 and used it again in Gen 6. The only thing JohnJohn did was modify Durant's EVs, which were modified to a spread I used in my 1174 streak.[/quotLuisLuis
Mega Camerupt streak imo. Do the default avatar some justice already
Listen this is the last time I want to hear anybody taking credit for MY TEAM AND MY SPREAD AND MY STREAK!!!! I did not get any of that COMMONSENCE Team form anybody I built it and played it by MYSELF!! So once again STOP saying its yours or ANYBODY Else's Thankyou.
Oh... I'm sorry. But nevertheless, I'm very thankful for the person who created this team! Does anybody have any team suggestions for the other Battle types
which work like this Truant Durant team worked?
Hi , Thankyou for big ups on my team. Don't let anybody fool you That is MY team. For some reason people round here are full of hate feel me?If you need to know anything about this team let me know . I created it and played it better than anybody else in Super Singles!I thought Since I am number one in super single wins people would want to hear about it but obviously I didn't account for the in house bitch shit.I guess you only get to say what you want about anybody else's teams if you kiss the right asses!a Any way Thankyou for the ups and HMU if you need any tips on MY TEAM.

Hi , Thankyou for big ups on my team. Don't let anybody fool you That is MY team. For some reason people round here are full of hate feel me?If you need to know anything about this team let me know . I created it and played it better than anybody else in Super Singles!I thought Since I am number one in super single wins people would want to hear about it but obviously I didn't account for the in house bitch shit.I guess you only get to say what you want about anybody else's teams if you kiss the right asses!a Any way Thankyou for the ups and HMU if you need any tips on MY TEAM.
This is to EVERYBODY in the Smogon community. It has come to my attention on several occasions that people are Putting my top streak in Super Singles Down as a copied team. I would like everyone to know that I have been playing pokemon since the original GOLD which I still own.The spread on Durant is nothing more than COMMONSENCE and the other two spreads are exactly what Everybody who uses those pokemon run.Though for some reason people keep saying that I'm using someone else's team.I have used Durant since it was released and who hasn't used Garchomp? So in conclusion This team is 100% MINE! And I would appreciate it if people kept there false accusations to themselves .Thanks to all for your time.

NoCheese Edit: GIF removed. Stick with words, and please abstain from the arguing using GIFs. It gets really annoying when reading through things. I've intentionally abstained from jumping into this discussion, as having used a similar team, I want to avoid the appearance of any sort of conflict of interest in how I moderate this thread. But I've never found GIFs to promote serious discussion, and they are terribly distracting in a row of posts, so I've removed this one.

Codraroll Edit: Please do not double post, and please please do not triple post. Please please please do not quadruple post, and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need a few tips on how to use the team. What do you do if Durant misses Entrainment and gets KOed before it can move again? What do you do against a Speed Boost Yanmega lead that uses Detect on the first turn? What do you do against lead Mismagius and Lapras? What do you do against leads with Protect and Substitute like Venusaur and Tauros? What do you if something like Rhyperior uses Protect, then Earthquake, then Protect, and then KOes Durant with a critical hit (this goes for any Pokemon that has Protect or Detect and can do at least 40% damage to Durant)? Do you switch in and sacrifice Garchomp on every lead that has Fake Out so Cloyster can set up later, or do you just keep Durant in and hope nothing bad happens? What do you do if Machamp uses Protect against Durant the first turn?

People aren't asking questions because, as you said, the team is very common sense and performs the exact same way around 95% of the time. The one replay of a sub-optimal matchup you posted showed that you clearly weren't playing in a way as to maximize your odds of winning (if you had sacrificed Cloyster after it got phazed out to bring Durant in for free and let Garchomp set up at full health, the only things that would have beaten you would've been Sturdy Sawk getting a critical hit, Sturdy Carbink getting a critical hit and a 25% damage roll on top of that, or Hawlucha getting a flinch with Power Herb Sky Attack, compared to all the stuff I listed in the post before that would have beaten the weakened +0 Garchomp and backup 1 HP Cloyster), so it's clear you just avoided hitting that really unlucky battle where a lot goes wrong at once (which is extremely lucky to avoid for over 1200 battles). With that being the case, it's much more helpful to direct someone asking how to use the team to NoCheese's more extensive write-up.

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello, #battlemaison. I have a streak of 690 ongoing wins in Super Doubles in Pokémon XY, enough for the second place on the leaderboard. Battle video incoming hopefully no sooner than the 1000-win mark.

The streak is played in XY Maison because acquiring a Mega Stone in ORAS would've taken some time. The team is what could be the final version of Lucario/Greninja.

Lucario/Greninja V2
Garchomp replaced with Assault Vest Gastrodon.

Talonflame's item changed to Life Orb.

Lucario's 4 spare EVs moved from HP to Defense; Ability changed to Inner Focus from Steadfast.
Lucario @ Lucarionite ** Zica Charger
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Def, 252 SAtk, 252 Spe
-Aura Sphere
-Flash Cannon
-Nasty Plot
-Protect

Greninja @ Focus Sash ** Zinglon
Ability: Protean
EVs: 12 HP, 252 SAtk, 244 Spe
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot
-Dark Pulse
-Mat Block

Talonflame @ Life Orb ** U-Ship
Ability: Gale Wings
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SDef
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Tailwind
-Protect

Gastrodon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Storm Drain
Nature: Modest
EVs: 180 HP, 92 Def, 220 SAtk, 12 SDef
-Earth Power
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Sludge Bomb
Another team falls victim to the almighty sea slug.

First, the changes to Lucario. 4 Def EVs allow Lucario to survive Aerodactyl4 Earthquake 100% of the time:

252 Atk Choice Band Aerodactyl Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lucario: 122-144 (84.1 - 99.3%)
252 Atk Choice Band Aerodactyl Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Lucario: 124-146 (84.9 - 100%)

Inner Focus vs Steadfast is somewhat trivial, as Lucario's Steel-typing makes the AI almost never use Fake Out on it over other, more tasty targets. And with a 4x resistance to Rock, Rock Slide flinches are also usually not a threat. Both of them give a decent boon if you somehow manage to get flinched prior to Mega Evolving; howewer, non-Mega special Lucario does not hit very hard, so it is rarely useful. Jynx4 survives non-Mega Flash Cannon 25% of the time, for example. This change hasn't affected any battle in the last 690 in a relevant simply because Lucario doesn't get targeted with Fake Out; it might be useful to avoid a Razor Fang Earthquake flinch from Aerodactyl3, but not Mega Evolving against Aerodactyl would be suicidal as it might be Aerodactyl4, which OHKOs regular Lucario. Inner Focus's greatest advantage over Steadfast might be against a Jynx + TR setter lead, where a Steadfast boost would be entirely useless if Lucario were targeted with Fake Out and staying unevolved with Inner Focus would both guarantee being able to move on Turn 1 and allow it to move before Jynx under Trick Room on Turn 2.

On to the star of the show: Gastrodon. Should you replace Garchomp with Gastrodon on all your Doubles/Triples teams effective immediately in light of it outdoing the king of dragons this time around? Probably not - but Gastrodon's skillset is a perfect fit for this team. Let's look at Lucario/Greninja for Triples - the Mega Lucario core of Lucario/Greninja/Talonflame (Mat Block support and Switch Option) is accompanied by the Rotom-W/Garchomp/Scizor "sideboard" that augments it. The three-mon core around Lucario is the same in Doubles - but what of the other three Pokémon that are all important to the team's success? Any of the three could be viable options - but picking one leaves the team vulnerable to threats the others check. Therefore, the roles have to be condensed into a single Pokémon somehow. Luckily, with the newly introduced Assault Vest, there is a Pokémon that can do a decent job at all three tasks.

This Pokémon is Gastrodon, Arceus's favored bottom feeder: with Ground-typing, it serves as a poor man's Garchomp against Electric- and Fire-types (and does better against Ice Punch/Ice Fang users such as Luxray and Electivire); with Storm Drain and Assault Vest, it can take on Slowthings and other bulky waters that Rotom-W checks; and with low speed and considerable bulk and lack of weaknesses, it can stand its ground under Trick Room and serve as a generally strong unit that can check many threats like Scizor, though with less speed and power.

You may recall from Greninja/Charizard for Triples that Gastrodon has fantastic synergy with Charizard both in and out of the Sun. Talonflame shares Charizard's typing, so the synergy is quite similar. Unlike in the Subway, the AI does not ignore Storm Drain. Once it has activated the ability, it ceases to use Water-type attacks altogether - including Surf, even it if would KO Talonflame. As such, once Storm Drain is activated (while Talonflame ideally Protects on the Surf), Talonflame's Water-type weakness is effectively removed, allowing it to stand alongside Gastrodon and face Water-types it would be useless against in normal circumstances.

There are 4 unused EVs on the spread. They're there because I originally wanted exactly 59 Speed to move in the same Speed tier as Brave Aegislash, and because 4 Speed EVs would only tie with 60-Speed Pokémon - but there could be a case for moving EVs from Defense to hit 61 Speed to outspeed that tier. But since the only threat at that speed tier, Regigigas, is mostly handled by Lucario and Gastrodon doesn't damage it anyway, it would be pretty negligible.

With Garchomp out of the picture, Talonflame can finally hold the Pink Orb and undergo Vital Dispersion to boost both of its STAB attacks considerably. A reminder of my prior complaints about Talonflame missing many KOs:

252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir: 139-165 (97.2 - 115.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Volcarona: 186-222 (96.8 - 115.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO)
252+ Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Articuno: 152-180 (77.1 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gourgeist-Average: 168-200 (97.6 - 116.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Leafeon: 132-156 (94.2 - 111.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 136-162 (92.5 - 110.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

While holding the Pink Orb, all of these KOs and more happen 100% of the time. Securing Leafeon4 (Quick Claw), one of Gastrodon's worst enemies, is especially valuable, though the others are no less useful. It also OHKOs Regice sets except for Set3 which is a non-threat, and even does decently against Zapdos2:

252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Zapdos: 113-134 (57.3 - 68%)
0 SpA Zapdos Charge Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Talonflame: 92-110 (49.7 - 59.4%)

At full HP, Talonflame always survives Charge Beam even after Flare Blitz recoil and LO damage, and 2HKOs the damn bird. Note that switching into Heat Wave is not safe, though Talonflame still has a chance to survive with average damage rolls.

Life Orb damage hurts - but with Storm Drain support, it's manageable and the power boost is well worth it. For teams that have other Pokémon that make good use of Life Orb (such as Lucario/Greninja for Triples and most Triples teams for that matter), it's probably not worth giving it to Talonflame over Sharp Beak - but if it is available, it increases Talonflame's performance considerably.

I've warmed up a bit to Talonflame in Doubles since originally flaming it, but not by a lot. It's still a Pokémon with low stats and a narrow skill-set that needs a lot of support and and the ability to get the most out of its typing to perform consistently.
Abomasnow: AS KO, Talonflame KO
Absol: Swagger is a menace, KO it with Aura Sphere
Accelgor: outspeeds and KOes Greninja and Lucario; neutralized by Talonflame and Gastrodon, but obnoxiously forces switches; don't get Encored
Aerodactyl: Lucario always survives CB Earthquake (barring a crit) - depending on opposition, taking the risk may be worth it.
Aggron: may have Sturdy + Metal Burst
Alakazam: DP 11/16, Talonflame KO; may rarely use Trick and acquire a Focus Sash while removing Greninja's, so watch out
Altaria: may use Sing, Ice Beam it if possible
Ambipom: AS KO; outspeeds and may Taunt Lucario, preventing Nasty Plot
Ampharos: may survive IB + AS, KOes Lucario; Set3 threatens Thunder Wave. Gastrodon beats it.
Arcanine: AS + DP KO if Sitrus doesn't activate (max DP roll will activate it); if Sitrus activates, may miss the KO and give it a Justified boost
Archeops: IB KO, FC KO, outsped by Mega Lucario; may use Protect
Armaldo: FC KO, potentially troublesome if Lucario is not available
Aromatisse: FC + IB KO; threatens Trick Room and is obnoxious with Aromatic Mist if it goes up, but Talonflame and Gastrodon don't much care about it
Articuno: Sheer Cold and Hail + Snow Cloak are no fun, use Flash Cannon on it
Aurorus: AS KO; dangerous if Lucario is not available
Avalugg: GK 10/16, AS KO; watch out for Sturdy
Barbaracle: AS KO, GK KO
Bastiodon: AS KO, watch out for Sturdy Metal Burst (or just ignore it); Bastiodon3 (Bunny) has Fissure, kill her Bastiodon ASAP to avoid it
Beartic: AS 9/16 KO; watch out for Swift Swim
Bisharp: typically wastes time using Taunt; walled by Lucario as it only carries Rock Smash
Blastoise: Yawn, kill it; watch out for Custap Focus Punch
Blaziken: Talonflame KO; don't NP since it may have Speed Boost
Blissey: +2 AS 2HKO; as long as Lucario remains at high HP to clean it up (Mud Bomb is a 3HKO), it can be ignored safely; Clear Smog may allow you to beat it even without Lucario
Bouffalant: AS KO, massively damaging if Lucario is not around
Braviary: IB 11/16 KO; rarely uses Tailwind; Set3 (Roller Skaters) has Choice Scarf
Breloom: uses mostly Focus Punch
Bronzong: AS + DP KO; watch out for Rock Slide with Talonflame; Set1 (Mara, Claire) survives AS + DP with Sitrus and uses Hypnosis
Carbink: ???
Carracosta: watch out for Sturdy Weakness Policy; prefer FC (8/16) over AS
Chandelure: walls Lucario; Gastrodon + Talonflame can kill it but don't let it set up for too long
Charizard: Set4 walls Lucario with Assault Vest - Set3 has Choice Scarf and Talonflame has a 12/16 chance to KO it thanks to its Mild nature
Chesnaught: IB KO, Talonflame KO; some starter Breeder sets may survive IB
Clawitzer: AS + GK KO; typically locks into Water Pulse against Talonflame, feeding free boosts to Gastrodon
Claydol: survives GK; watch out for Custap
Cobalion: Set3 has Swagger, it has to die
Cofagrigus: Set3 (Anastasia) has Trick Room; Clear Smog removes boosts
Conkeldurr: will not use Mach Punch on a full-HP Greninja despite the slight chance to KO with Iron Fist (Heliolisk, for example, does get targeted); IB + AS is not a guaranteed KO
Cradily: Giga Drain threatens Gastrodon; irrelevant otherwise; Rasmus's sets have Quick Claw Stone Edge, among other fun things
Cresselia: Set1 can become annoying with Calm Mind, but Clear Smog clears its boosts; Set3-4 are dangerous with Swagger/Icy Wind and Trick Room, respectively; against Set2, keep Lucario alive at all costs to wall it
Crobat: IB 15/16 KO; often Taunts Greninja, may also use Hypnosis (extremely bad, especially for Gastrodon); assume Mat Block will fail
Cryogonal: it might get an Icy Wind off if it lives thanks to its Focus Sash
Darmanitan: Talonflame 4/16 KO; switch Talonflame on Turn 1 and KO it; Gastrodon can also kill it, but it will get two attacks if you do that
Delphox: AS + DP KO, Talonflame 9/16 KO, Gastrodon 4/16 KO
Dewgong: set-up fodder
Donphan: GK 10/16 KO; switch out Lucario, use Grass Knot, finish off with Brave Bird
Dragonite: IB misses KO if Multiscale; Set3 (Roller Skater) has Choice Band and survives FC + BB with Multiscale and can be a threat if Greninja is down
Drapion: may use Swords Dance and requires two moves or a +2 AS to KO, but not very threatening
Drifblim: IB + FC KO; threatens Hypnosis, KO it ASAP
Druddigon: survives IB; threatening if it can't be killed off or Mat Blocked; Talonflame + Gastrodon kills it before it moves under TR
Dugtrio: Rasmus's Choice Band sets can be unpleasant, especially with Arena Trap or Sand Veil evasion
Durant: often uses Protect, has Sash; threatens Talonflame with Rock Slide, but uninteresting otherwise aside from the occasional Entrainment
Dusknoir: FC + DP KO; threatens Trick Room, uses Destiny Bond; Set3 on Anastasia has Double Team and needs to die
Eelektross: Lucario survives unboosted Flamethrower; bulky, but not threatening outside misplaying into Protect; both Set3 and Set4 have Grass Knot, but its damage is low without several Charge Beam boosts
Electivire: AS + IB KO; survives Earth Power with Shuca Berry; surprisingly threatening in some situations, as it KOs both Lucario and Talonflame and outspeeds Talonflame, preventing Flare Blitz
Electrode: distrupts Mat Block with Taunt and is very obnoxious with Thunder and Light Screen
Emboar: IB + AS KO; may use Substitute, after which AS is not a guaranteed KO after it's broken (73.5% minimum)
Empoleon: AS 8/16 - missing the KO may result in a PetayaTorrent Surf, so watch out
Entei: Set3 has Scarf Eruption, switch or Protect Lucario on Turn 1 against set1-4/set3-4; all sets lose to Gastrodon, Set1 and Set4 threaten Talonflame with Stone Edge
Escavalier: survives DP + AS; Swagger is a menace, KO it ASAP and watch out for Custap Berry (don't get Gastrodon KO'd by Custap Swarm Megahorn)
Espeon: Talonflame KO; Furisode Girl sets may carry Yawn and other surprises, but they generally aren't relevant, either
Excadrill: extremely threatening with Sand Rush; if you encounter a Sand Stream + Excadrill lead pair, start praying - and you can't switch in Gastrodon either, as Life Orb EQ will 2HKO it. It also survives Earth Power with 170 SDef EVs, so you will need prior damage for Gastrodon to secure the KO. Using Tailwind to get the Speed advantage while saccing Talonflame is the only way to be sure.
Exeggutor: IB 9/16 KO, Talonflame KO; Trick Room setter that threatens Gastrodon with Wood Hammer (easily handled by the others)
Exploud: Talonflame 3/16 KO, AS KO
Feraligatr: GK + AS KO; watch out for Sheer Force/Torrent/DD and Liechi Berry
Ferrothorn: Rasmus/Bunny's Ferrothorn may have Thunder Wave (Set1). None of the four sets carry a Grass move to hit Gastrodon, so they can be mostly ignored.
Flareon: may survive AS + DP; Talonflame KO
Floatzel: Talonflame KO, GK 11/16; can be annoying with its Speed, but just bring in Gastrodon when in doubt
Florges: Petal Dance hurts Gastrodon and it can survive, but it doesn't do much of anything; Ace Trainer Bunny's sets are no exception
Flygon: IB KO, +2 AS KO; it will use Stone Edge on Talonflame, so it is easy to handle in any situation
Forretress: Stealth Rock does no favors for Talonflame, but you can't stop it from going up
Froslass: Sash is obnoxious - watch out for Icy Wind and Destiny Bond
Gallade: IB + FC KO; Talonflame KO
Garchomp: AS + IB KO; Set3 carries Choice Scarf and must always be targeted with Ice Beam if facing Rasmus, with Lucario Protecting or switching out
Gardevoir: Talonflame KO, survives FC with Babiri; Bunny may carry Hypnosis, tracing Protean may make things interesting
Gastrodon: Lucario survives +1 Earthquake
Gengar: DP KO, Talonflame KO; Set1 (Jai) has Hypnosis and Focus Sash
Gigalith: watch out for Sturdy
Glaceon: AS KO through BrightPowder - may Detect
Gliscor: Set4's EQ fails to KO Lucario; Set3 does get the kill
Gogoat: KOed by Talonflame, survives Ice Beam; slow and non-threatening otherwise
Golem: watch out for Sturdy
Golurk: GK KO
Goodra: Talonflame 3/16 KO. It forces Lucario out with Assault Vest and Fire Blast, but Talonflame KOs it with any other damage on top
Gothitelle: check for Shadow Tag with Lucario; if it has the ability, it must die, but it can also punish commitment with a random Protect so don't risk it too much
Gourgeist: IB 13/16, Talonflame KO; kills Gastrodon with Seed Bomb
Granbull: FC KO
Greninja: Talonflame KO, AS KO; note that AS will miss the KO if it becomes Water-type through Protean
Gyarados: Talonflame 2HKO; with Storm Drain active and Gastrodon/Talonflame on the field, Talonflame is immune to damage as Gyarados can only use EQ; Clear Smog also removes its boosts; Set3 boosts much faster and has Stone Edge for Talonflame, but is also much easier to KO; Puck/Jensen's Set1 has Thunder Wave
Hariyama: Talonflame KO, Lucario survives +0 Brick Break; attack it immediately in case it uses Belly Drum
Hawlucha: IB KO, Talonflame KO; if Unburden activates, it may be pesky
Haxorus: survives Ice Beam with Yache; 2/16 AS; may become a threat with Dragon Dance, so don't give it time to use it or be prepared to switch and finish with Brave Bird
Heatran: Set4 is the main threat with Choice Scarf; Set3 threatens Gastrodon with Solar Beam and Shuca Berry; Set1 has Sash
Heracross: Reversal is its only Fighting-type STAB, and is laughable at full HP; watch out for Endure SalacReversal with Swarm Megahorn on top; Talonflame completely destroys it
Hippowdon: AS + GK KO; Lucario survives +0 Earthquake; Rasmus's Set1 and Set3 KO Lucario, so watch out
Honchkrow: IB KO, Talonflame 3/16; threatens Thunder Wave, kill it ASAP and consider skipping Mat Block; Set3 may Snatch Mat Block for even more fun
Houndoom: AS KO, Talonflame KO; outspeeds Lucario on Turn 1
Hydreigon: AS KO, IB 2/16
Infernape: AS + DP KO; has Fake Out, but very rarely uses it, instead preferring to go for a KO with CC/FB; Sash is obnoxious
Jolteon: EP 15/16; troublesome for all three fast members; switching out Greninja for Gastrodon on Turn 1 is the preferred play; if it uses Hyper Beam, all the better
Jynx: DP 5/16, FC KO, Talonflame KO; usually uses Fake Out on Greninja; ties Lucario on Turn 1, may use Lovely Kiss
Kangaskhan: AS KO; usually uses Fake Out on Greninja, assume Mat Block will fail; spams Substitute
Kingdra: may survive AS + IB thanks to its HP investment
Klinklang: AS KO
Krookodile: IB KO, AS KO; outspeeds Lucario on Turn 1
Landorus: IB KO; switch/Protect Lucario if Set2 is a risk
Lanturn: walled by Gastrodon, overpowered by Lucario; Set3 (Roller Skaters) threatens Thunder Wave
Lapras: survives AS; Perish trap, Body Slam paralysis; +2 AS is the preferred play
Latios: Set4 KOs Lucario after Dragon Dance, other sets are favorable match-ups outside Lax Incense hax on Set1 (FC 11/16 KO on Set1); Set3 (Specs) may nail Gastrodon with Energy Ball
Latias: Set4 KOs Lucario after Hone Claws, other sets are favorable match-ups outside Lax Incense hax on Set1; Set3 (Specs) may nail Gastrodon with Energy Ball
Leafeon: IB KO, Talonflame KO, AS 14/16 KO; threatens Gastrodon with Quick Claw, but OHKO'd by Talonflame with priority
Lickilicky: AS 9/16; Lucario fears nothing, but the rest of the team does not enjoy it
Lilligant: Teeter Dance is a terrible move, but it will usually prefer Solar Beam or Leech Seed; Roux/Frank's sets threaten Gastrodon
Lopunny: AS KO; may Switcheroo your items, but that's it
Lucario: AS KO, Talonflame KO; set-up fodder
Ludicolo: often uses Fake Out on Greninja; Giga Drain KOs Gastrodon 1/16 of the time
Luxray: threatens Thunder Wave and uses Light Screen - very obnoxious, but walled by Gastrodon. Set3 OHKOes Lucario with Superpower
Machamp: AS + GK may miss the KO
Magmortar: AS + DP KO, Talonflame 14/16 KO
Magnezone: AS + DP KO; scout for Magnet Pull with Lucario, watch out for Sturdy; Set3 has BrightPowder with possible Sturdy and threatens Thunder Wave
Mamoswine: Greninja KO, Lucario KO
Mandibuzz: bulky Swagger; survives +2 AS; AS + IB also misses the KO
Manectric: may go for either Overheat or Thunder (more common); preferred play is Turn 1 double switch, as Lucario is threatened by Thunder and can't Protect on both Turn 1 and Turn 2 if you keep it in; Set3 announces Air Balloon and does not have Scarf. May rarely use Trick.
Marowak: IB KO
Medicham: FC 7/16, Talonflame KO; threatening if you can't kill it before it lands a hit
Meganium: set-up fodder
Metagross: Lucario survives +0 CH EQ; you can just ignore it. Watch out for Set3 on Anastasia and Trick stealing Life Orb/Assault Vest, howewer.
Mienshao: it mostly uses HJK and Fake Out is very rare
Milotic: loses to Gastrodon, can be ignored
Miltank: AS KO
Mismagius: Perish trapping, BrightPowder, Power Gem for Talonflame; DP + FC KOs, but you don't want to be trapped
Moltres: +2 AS + IB KO; may rarely set up Tailwind; Set3 threatens Gastrodon with Sunny Day + Solar Beam
Mr. Mime: survives FC with Babiri Berry; Set3 sets screens, but you can't stop it
Muk: Brick Break does little, Lucario resists Explosion
Musharna: does little to Greninja, Clear Smog removes boosts; Mara's Set2 has Energy Ball to 2HKO Gastrodon
Nidoking: IB KO
Nidoqueen: survives IB, EQ KOs Lucario 1/16 of the time
Ninetales: Lucario survives +0 Flamethrower (without Drought), Gastrodon survives
Noivern: IB KO
Pinsir: Talonflame KO; preferred play is to switch Talonflame on Turn 1 and assume it will nearly never use Guillotine
Politoed: may survive AS + GK; KOes with Focus Blast; rarely uses Hypnosis and survives +2 AS so Nasty Plot is a bad idea, not a fun foe
Poliwrath: usually uses Focus Punch, keep hitting it to avoid the punches
Porygon-Z: Jai's Set1 carries Thunder Wave, so don't let it live; Set2 has Specs Hyper Beam and is one of the strongest attackers in the Maison; the common Set4 is food
Porygon2: AS KO; threatens Thunder Wave, kill it ASAP
Probopass: AS KO; scout for Magnet Pull with Lucario and watch out for Sturdy
Pyroar: AS KO, Talonflame 3/16; faster than Lucario on Turn 1
Quagsire: +1 EQ KOs Lucario 1/16 of the time; don't Nasty Plot on it as Unaware Amnesia may punish it
Raichu: Set4's Grass Knot 3HKOs Gastrodon - not much of a threat, but Set3 has Fake Out/Thunder Wave with Sash and is very obnoxious
Raikou: loses to Gastrodon, outsped by Greninja; outspeed Lucario, which is a little awkward
Rampardos: GK 15/16, Lucario KO; targets Talonflame in a late-game situation, allowing Gastrodon to hit it
Rapidash: Talonflame KO
Regice: pray it's not Set4. On the bright side, Gastrodon should beat it 1v1.
Regigigas: use Aura Sphere; threatening if Lucario is not available
Regirock: watch out for Sturdy and Explosion and the Rock Polish set
Registeel: watch out for Rock Polish with flinch-causing EQ
Reuniclus: +2 FC 8/16 KO; DP + FC KO
Rhyperior: GK KO, AS KO; may survive AS in the Sand
Roserade: food for Lucario and Talonflame; Gastrodon survives Giga Drain but will not enjoy it
Salamence: Puck/Jensen's Set2 may have Dragon Dance with DC/EQ/ZH; Set3 may survive Ice Beam with Yache Berry
Samurott: threatens Gastrodon with Grass Knot
Sawk: watch out for Sturdy if it doesn't announce Mold Breaker
Sceptile: threatens Gastrodon, but useless against the rest of the team
Scizor: Talonflame KO; without Life Orb, may miss KO thanks to Occa
Scrafty: +1 Drain Punch KOes Lucario 25% of the time; it survives +0 Aura Sphere
Seismitoad: Greninja KO; Dig gets it killed by allies frequently. It may use Rock Slide on Talonflame.
Serperior: IB 10/16; watch out for Overgrow Leaf Storm and Contrary if it gets to move multiple times; Set2 on starter Breeder shas Captivate, and can be extremely dangerous if it's female (12.5% chance) and hits Lucario and Greninja (both Male)
Shiftry: uses Fake Out on Greninja very often - assume that Mat Block will fail and consider a Turn 1 switch
Shuckle: Set4 is uninteresting; Set1-3 on Bunny can throw a curve ball
Skarmory: Set3 has Scarf but deals low damage outside Rock Slide on Talonflame, Set4 is irrelevant
Skuntank: AS + IB KO; watch out for Explosion, Fire Blast doesn't KO Lucario
Slaking: AS KO
Slowbro: AS + DP KO; Gastrodon handles it, so sniping is not mandatory
Slowking: will set up TR; loses to Gastrodon; Mara's Set1 has Psyshock, but Gastrodon has enough physical bulk to take it on; Anastasia's Set3 is Specs with Focus Blast to OHKO Lucario
Slurpuff: OHKOes Lucario if you let it and has Energy Ball for Gastrodon (which it survives)
Snorlax: Earthquake 2HKOs Lucario 60% of the time; +2 Nasty Plot is a 2HKO, making Lucario one of the few special attackers in the Maison that can overpower it
Spiritomb: may hurt non-Fighting/Dark Greninja; Set3 on Anastasia has Swagger, kill it ASAP
Staraptor: Set4 doesn't have Close Combat; Set3 is Choice Band; Puck/Jensen's Set2 is Scarf without Brave Bird (almost always locks into CC) and Set1 is Sash Endeavor
Starmie: DP/GK 14/16; outspeeding Lucario with Razor Fang is no fun
Steelix: AS KO
Suicune: Gastrodon helps greatly, Lucario and Greninja can overpower it with NP and GK
Swampert: GK 3/16
Sylveon: survives FC; doesn't do anything
Talonflame: FC + IB KOs most of the time without activating Sitrus Berry; Swords Dance and Gale Wings are risk factors; Set3 is irrelevant
Tangrowth: IB KO, AS 11/16 KO; threatens Gastrodon, has BrightPowder
Tauros: AS 12/16; irrelevant as long as Lucario lives to take it down with Aura Sphere in the end; Puck's Set2 carries Swagger, so prioritize killing it
Tentacruel: impervious to FC + DP, but doesn't do much of anything; Gastrodon allows Talonflame and Lucario free rein after its Surf is disabled by Storm Drain
Terrakion: Set2 (Choice Scarf) threatens Lucario, Protect or switch if it is a possibility
Throh: survives +2 Aura Sphere
Thundurus: Set4 has Prankster Taunt, but virtually never uses it to disrupt Mat Block; Greninja and Gastrodon beat them all, but Lucario is semi-walled
Togekiss: FC KO, survives IB; Set3 threatens Thunder Wave
Tornadus: Set1 threatens Gastrodon with Grass Knot; Set4 has Prankster Taunt but almost never uses it to distrupt Mat Block
Torterra: Lucario survives EQ, it does nothing; starter Breeder sets may threaten Gastrodon and Set2 has Scarf, Set3 has Custap Berry
Toxicroak: it uses Taunt, but is too slow to do anything with it
Trevenant: IB 13/16, Talonflame KO; threatens Trick Room and underspeeds Gastrodon with Iron Ball; Gastrodon survives Energy Ball, howewer
Typhlosion: AS + DP KO, Talonflame 2/16, Gastrodon 15/16; starter Breeders may carry Set3 (Scarf Eruption), so take care against them; Power Herb Solar Beam KOs Gastrodon
Tyranitar: Set4 has Sash; Rasmus's Tyranitar may have Thunder Wave or Dragon Dance to outspeed Lucario and must die ASAP
Tyrantrum: AS KO, IB KO; threatening if Lucario and Greninja are down
Umbreon: Confuse Ray is a menace, KO it ASAP
Unfezant: Set4 does nothing. Set3 can deal some damage with Power Herb Sky Attack
Ursaring: QC Cross Chop KOs Lucario; don't keep Lucario in on it
Vanilluxe: survives AS, but Set4 does nothing even so; Andrei/Cobb may carry Set3 (Sheer Cold), KO ASAP when facing him
Vaporeon: loses to Gastrodon
Venusaur: Set4 is useless; other sets on starter Breeders may threaten Gastrodon
Vespiquen: Confuse Ray is a menace, kill it ASAP
Victreebel: IB KO, Talonflame KO, uses Solar Beam; complete set-up bait
Vileplume: mostly uses Solar Beam; rarely goes for Teeter Dance, which is awful
Virizion: Talonflame KO; Set1 may use Taunt, so getting greedy with Nasty Plot may backfire
Volcarona: Talonflame KO; extremely bad if Talonflame is down, though Clear Smog may save the day
Wailord: GK KO
Walrein: AS 5/16 KO; +2 AS always KOs, go for it if possible; Lucario Aura Sphere is the ultimate answer to Walrein aside from Sturdy and Substitute stall; against Andrei, don't use Nasty Plot as Walrein2 may Encore you in a hilarious manner
Weavile: typically uses Fake Out and Taunt; bad for Greninja, but does little to the rest of the team; may hurt Talonflame sometimes
Weezing: set up
Whiscash: AS + GK KO; +2 AS only has a 50% chance to KO; note that there is a slim chance to miss the AS + GK KO if it gets Leftovers recovery in-between the hits
Yanmega: IB KO, Talonflame KO; safe to Nasty Plot when suitable despite Speed Boost and flinching as it will "always" target Greninja
Zapdos: Set2 is public enemy #1, other sets lose to Gastrodon; with enough Roost and Double Team and a Heat Wave burn, even Gastrodon may lose to Set2 in the long run; Life Orb Flare Blitz deals very good damage and has decent odds, howewer
Zebstrika: threatens Thunder Wave, outspeeds Lucario, has Sash; unpleasant, something will likely get paralyzed
Zoroark: may surprise KO Lucario on Turn 1 if Mat Block is distrupted or not used; Focus Band activation is a risk, but not one you can do much to prevent

Edit: added explanation for Gastrodon's 4 missing EVs

Edit 2: I've made minor improvements to this team. If you're reading this and feel like using it, check them out.

Edit 3: Added brief notes for each Pokémon in the Maison. Note that they are not complete and not entirely up to date; the possibility of Clear Smog is missing in many places.

Last edited:
Hello, #battlemaison. I have a streak of 690 ongoing wins in Super Doubles in Pokémon XY, enough for the second place on the leaderboard. Battle video incoming hopefully no sooner than the 1000-win mark.

The streak is played in XY Maison because acquiring a Mega Stone in ORAS would've taken some time. The team is what could be the final version of Lucario/Greninja.

Lucario/Greninja V2
Garchomp replaced with Assault Vest Gastrodon.

Talonflame's item changed to Life Orb.

Lucario's 4 spare EVs moved from HP to Defense; Ability changed to Inner Focus from Steadfast.
Lucario @ Lucarionite ** Zica Charger
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 Def, 252 SAtk, 252 Spe
-Aura Sphere
-Flash Cannon
-Nasty Plot
-Protect

Greninja @ Focus Sash ** Zinglon
Ability: Protean
EVs: 12 HP, 252 SAtk, 244 Spe
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot
-Dark Pulse
-Mat Block

Talonflame @ Life Orb ** U-Ship
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SDef
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Tailwind
-Protect

Gastrodon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 180 HP, 92 Def, 220 SAtk, 12 SDef
-Earth Power
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Sludge Bomb
Another team falls victim to the almighty sea slug.

First, the changes to Lucario. 4 Def EVs allow Lucario to survive Aerodactyl4 Earthquake 100% of the time:

252 Atk Choice Band Aerodactyl Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lucario: 122-144 (84.1 - 99.3%)
252 Atk Choice Band Aerodactyl Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Lucario: 124-146 (84.9 - 100%)

Inner Focus vs Steadfast is somewhat trivial, as Lucario's Steel-typing makes the AI almost never use Fake Out on it over other, more tasty targets. And with a 4x resistance to Rock, Rock Slide flinches are also usually not a threat. Both of them give a decent boon if you somehow manage to get flinched prior to Mega Evolving; howewer, non-Mega special Lucario does not hit very hard, so it is rarely useful. Jynx4 survives non-Mega Flash Cannon 25% of the time, for example. This change hasn't affected any battle in the last 690 in a relevant simply because Lucario doesn't get targeted with Fake Out; it might be useful to avoid a Razor Fang Earthquake flinch from Aerodactyl3, but not Mega Evolving against Aerodactyl would be suicidal as it might be Aerodactyl4, which OHKOs regular Lucario. Inner Focus's greatest advantage over Steadfast might be against a Jynx + TR setter lead, where a Steadfast boost would be entirely useless if Lucario were targeted with Fake Out and staying unevolved with Inner Focus would both guarantee being able to move on Turn 1 and allow it to move before Jynx under Trick Room on Turn 2.

On to the star of the show: Gastrodon. Should you replace Garchomp with Gastrodon on all your Doubles/Triples teams effective immediately in light of it outdoing the king of dragons this time around? Probably not - but Gastrodon's skillset is a perfect fit for this team. Let's look at Lucario/Greninja for Triples - the Mega Lucario core of Lucario/Greninja/Talonflame (Mat Block support and Switch Option) is accompanied by the Rotom-W/Garchomp/Scizor "sideboard" that augments it. The three-mon core around Lucario is the same in Doubles - but what of the other three Pokémon that are all important to the team's success? Any of the three could be viable options - but picking one leaves the team vulnerable to threats the others check. Therefore, the roles have to be condensed into a single Pokémon somehow. Luckily, with the newly introduced Assault Vest, there is a Pokémon that can do a decent job at all three tasks.

This Pokémon is Gastrodon, Arceus's favored bottom feeder: with Ground-typing, it serves as a poor man's Garchomp against Electric- and Fire-types (and does better against Ice Punch/Ice Fang users such as Luxray and Electivire); with Storm Drain and Assault Vest, it can take on Slowthings and other bulky waters that Rotom-W checks; and with low speed and considerable bulk and lack of weaknesses, it can stand its ground under Trick Room and serve as a generally strong unit that can check many threats like Scizor, though with less speed and power.

You may recall from Greninja/Charizard for Triples that Gastrodon has fantastic synergy with Charizard both in and out of the Sun. Talonflame shares Charizard's typing, so the synergy is quite similar. Unlike in the Subway, the AI does not ignore Storm Drain. Once it has activated the ability, it ceases to use Water-type attacks altogether - including Surf, even it if would KO Talonflame. As such, once Storm Drain is activated (while Talonflame ideally Protects on the Surf), Talonflame's Water-type weakness is effectively removed, allowing it to stand alongside Gastrodon and face Water-types it would be useless against in normal circumstances.

With Garchomp out of the picture, Talonflame can finally hold the Pink Orb and undergo Vital Dispersion to boost both of its STAB attacks considerably. A reminder of my prior complaints about Talonflame missing many KOs:

252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir: 139-165 (97.2 - 115.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Volcarona: 186-222 (96.8 - 115.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO)
252+ Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Articuno: 152-180 (77.1 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gourgeist-Average: 168-200 (97.6 - 116.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Leafeon: 132-156 (94.2 - 111.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 136-162 (92.5 - 110.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

While holding the Pink Orb, all of these KOs and more happen 100% of the time. Securing Leafeon4 (Quick Claw), one of Gastrodon's worst enemies, is especially valuable, though the others are no less useful. It also OHKOs Regice sets except for Set3 which is a non-threat, and even does decently against Zapdos2:

252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Zapdos: 113-134 (57.3 - 68%)
0 SpA Zapdos Charge Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Talonflame: 92-110 (49.7 - 59.4%)

At full HP, Talonflame always survives Charge Beam even after Flare Blitz recoil and LO damage, and 2HKOs the damn bird. Note that switching into Heat Wave is not safe, though Talonflame still has a chance to survive with average damage rolls.

Life Orb damage hurts - but with Storm Drain support, it's manageable and the power boost is well worth it. For teams that have other Pokémon that make good use of Life Orb (such as Lucario/Greninja for Triples and most Triples teams for that matter), it's probably not worth giving it to Talonflame over Sharp Beak - but if it is available, it increases Talonflame's performance considerably.

I've warmed up a bit to Talonflame in Doubles since originally flaming it, but not by a lot. It's still a Pokémon with low stats and a narrow skill-set that needs a lot of support and and the ability to get the most out of its typing to perform consistently.
NEW SUPER SINGLES Video WIN#1313: FP5G-WWWW-WWWH-6VDF

I need a few tips on how to use the team. What do you do if Durant misses Entrainment and gets KOed before it can move again? What do you do against a Speed Boost Yanmega lead that uses Detect on the first turn? What do you do against lead Mismagius and Lapras? What do you do against leads with Protect and Substitute like Venusaur and Tauros? What do you if something like Rhyperior uses Protect, then Earthquake, then Protect, and then KOes Durant with a critical hit (this goes for any Pokemon that has Protect or Detect and can do at least 40% damage to Durant)? Do you switch in and sacrifice Garchomp on every lead that has Fake Out so Cloyster can set up later, or do you just keep Durant in and hope nothing bad happens? What do you do if Machamp uses Protect against Durant the first turn?

People aren't asking questions because, as you said, the team is very common sense and performs the exact same way around 95% of the time. The one replay of a sub-optimal matchup you posted showed that you clearly weren't playing in a way as to maximize your odds of winning (if you had sacrificed Cloyster after it got phazed out to bring Durant in for free and let Garchomp set up at full health, the only things that would have beaten you would've been Sturdy Sawk getting a critical hit, Sturdy Carbink getting a critical hit and a 25% damage roll on top of that, or Hawlucha getting a flinch with Power Herb Sky Attack, compared to all the stuff I listed in the post before that would have beaten the weakened +0 Garchomp and backup 1 HP Cloyster), so it's clear you just avoided hitting that really unlucky battle where a lot goes wrong at once (which is extremely lucky to avoid for over 1200 battles). With that being the case, it's much more helpful to direct someone asking how to use the team to NoCheese's more extensive write-up.
That was one instance out of 1313 wins If you play a team long enough you are bound to make a mistake.Listen I don't care about anybody else's teams or streaks even though quite a few of them are suspect and many have identical spreads. So I would appreciate it if everyone would stop trying to make MY TEAM. somebody else's. Like I said before I don't think I will lose with this team because I can handle Lapras, Mismagius,and basically All of the threats to MY TEAM.Every time I get on this site somebody is assassinating my character by saying I somehow don't deserve my props for The streak that I played with a team that I MADE. You know how many people use The big three in super trips?So who's team is that?Anyway I really ain't beat I just posted 1313 wins and big ups to all the homies who know what that # Reps. Thanks for your time Oh this is what you do when Rhyperior uses protect on you Win #1321 Battle video PGTW-WWWW-WWWH-7ADR. I got lots!

Last edited:
Like I said before I don't think I will lose with this team because I can handle Lapras, Mismagius,and basically
So you plan to retire the team?

On a serious note, that streak is undoubtely very impressive! It's quite facinating to see how far you've come considering all the things that can stop a durant streak (not too many, but over 1000 battles, you're bound to get in trouble sooner or later by facing the few pokemon that can ruin your day), especially if the team is played as "straight-forward" as you suggest, lol. Looking forward to the end result if/when it comes (definitly the latter) :)

So you plan to retire the team?

On a serious note, that streak is undoubtely very impressive! It's quite facinating to see how far you've come considering all the things that can stop a durant streak (not too many, but over 1000 battles, you're bound to get in trouble sooner or later by facing the few pokemon that can ruin your day), especially if the team is played as "straight-forward" as you suggest, lol. Looking forward to the end result if/when it comes (definitly the latter) :)
Thanks This team is not always straight forward.There are a lot of things that can go wrong.It's just the point of seeing it comming and adjusting accordingly.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks This team is not always straight forward.There are a lot of things that can go wrong.It's just the point of seeing it comming and adjusting accordingly.
This is what people are interested in! We want to see a long, detailed write-up of the team like everyone else has done with their streaks explaining how you deal with those specific threats. All you've done so far is post a couple of videos and been super defensive over people questioning your methods. I would recommend sitting down on a computer, reading through a few of the best streaks to see what they talk about and then write up your own. At the moment the link in the OP that goes to your streak is simply a battle video you posted with an explanation that NoCheese wrote on your behalf. If you want to earn some respect around here you need to be a little more civil / mature than just jumping in and being all 'HEY I GOT 1,000+ WINS WITH A SICK TEAM OK SEE YA'.

Sorry if I'm coming across as harsh, I'm just trying to help you out... So yeah, write up where you got the idea for the team, the teambuilding process (why you chose Cloyster over other set up sweepers, why you chose Garchomp as a backup, how you came to the EV spread etc.), what threats you've accounted for and how you deal with them and all that stuff. Bonus points for making the post look nice with some simple formatting so it's not all one big block of text.

I look forward to seeing how you go with it

That was one instance out of 1313 wins If you play a team long enough you are bound to make a mistake.Listen I don't care about anybody else's teams or streaks even though quite a few of them are suspect and many have identical spreads. So I would appreciate it if everyone would stop trying to make MY TEAM. somebody else's. Like I said before I don't think I will lose with this team because I can handle Lapras, Mismagius,and basically All of the threats to MY TEAM.Every time I get on this site somebody is assassinating my character by saying I somehow don't deserve my props for The streak that I played with a team that I MADE. You know how many people use The big three in super trips?So who's team is that?Anyway I really ain't beat I just posted 1313 wins and big ups to all the homies who know what that # Reps. Thanks for your time Oh this is what you do when Rhyperior uses protect on you Win #1321 Battle video PGTW-WWWW-WWWH-7ADR. I got lots!
No, that's a Rhyperior using Protect once on you and letting you use Entrainment on turn 3. I'm talking about when it (or Tentacruel, or Klinklang, or Floatzel, or any of the other 30+ Pokemon with Protect or Detect) uses Protect two or more times and doesn't let Durant use Entrainment. It would have been one thing if your response had been "yeah, it can definitely screw me over, but luckily on the rare occasions it happens the opponent's team was weak to Cloyster or Garchomp and it swept at +2," but given the outlandishness of your claims (that this possibility has somehow never even entered your mind when it's bound to happen at least once against a Protect lead in the span of 100, let alone 1,000 battles), I'm now more inclined to believe you're just backing up your save state.

Just looking at a page of notes I dug up while using a team with Durant, Cloyster, and Drapion, Durant was unable to use Entrainment 3 times in the span of battle 50 to 150. In battle 94, Zapdos 4 used Detect and KOed with Heat Wave on turn 2, which I had never seen it do against Durant before. I went to Cloyster and got pretty lucky in sweeping since Thunderbolt didn't paralyze it and the remaining two Pokemon were frail and weak to Ice (including the Lax Incense Latios which Cloyster didn't miss against). In battle 125, Venusaur used Protect and then Substitute. Once Durant got Leech Seeded, Drapion came in and fully set up, which neither Garchomp nor Cloyster could do. In battle 131, Samurott used Detect and KOed Durant with a critical hit Hydro Pump - Drapion set up because it could stall Samurott out of Hydro Pump PP. In battle 68, Durant was able to use Entrainment but it required me to get creative. Floatzel used Protect, then Waterfall, then Protect. At that point, it could have KOed Durant with either a critical hit Waterfall or Waterfall followed by Aqua Jet, so I switched Cloyster in on Waterfall and switched back to Durant on Low Kick, which kept it out of Aqua Jet KO range but within Waterfall KO range, ensuring that Durant could use Entrainment without Floatzel using Protect. Stuff like that happens wayy too often for you to just say "my team can adjust when stuff goes wrong."

Hi everyone. Long time reader on this board but mostly this thread.

I've decided to take a swing at making it on the board with a team that I've been working on for super singles.

My big question for you guys is how important is Sucker punch on MegaKhan over something like crunch?

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Hi everyone. Long time reader on this board but mostly this thread.

I've decided to take a swing at making it on the board with a team that I've been working on for super singles.

My big question for you guys is how important is Sucker punch on MegaKhan over something like crunch?
Sucker Punch is close to mandatory, Khan is not /that/ fast and +2 Sucker Punch OHKOes most stuff that doesn't resist it but would be able to finish off Khan otherwise (after she has taken damage while setting up). Crunch is far less important, it's just an option for Khan's coverage move (and for that I actually recommend Earthquake; Crunch is only superior against (flying/levitating) status ghosts, and after battle 40 there are only like 2 of those that appear on a semi-regular basis. Earthquake on the other hand hits Steel- and Rock-types super effectively, whereas Crunch is only a little bit stronger than a resisted Return and just as strong as super effective PuP)

Khan's standard set is Return / Sucker Punch / Earthquake or Crunch / PuP or Fake Out. Good luck!

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
A few things:

First, I've updated the leaderboard through here, so please let me know if I've missed anything.

Second, given the rapid small changes atop the singles leaderboard, I'm adding a new rule which will reduce the micromanagement required. Going forward (I'm not going to apply it retroactively), I'm only going to update the leaderboard for ongoing streaks at even 100s of battles (1100, 1200, etc.). This limits the need for repeated small updates. Feel free to share videos of interesting battles on your ongoing streaks, but I'll only update the record to the last 100 battle mark reached. Naturally, if your streak ends, you'll receive credit for the full number of victories achieved, and not just the last 100-mark.

Third, sweet doubles team, turskain. I love seeing His Serene Highness Garchomp (he's good, but not quite HRH-worthy) replaced by blue-collar Gastrodon on a very successful team. The rest of the royalty (Talonflame, Greninja, Mega Kangaskhan, Suicune, et al.) may wrinkle their noses, but stuff like this is what I love about the Maison.

Fourth, I've started the trophy grind. Had some fun in rotations with an uninspiring but fast Focus Sash Cloyster / Lum Berry Dragonite / Mega Kangaskhan / Choice Scarf Darmanitan squad. I wouldn't recommend it for building a serious streak, but it sure racks up the victories quickly. When you win, Chatelaine Morgan starts mentioning the sisters' plans to build a new and expanded battle facility in the new future. Game Freak really does love to tease us about the lack of a frontier.

While playing, I reflected that rotations is likely the best home for Mega Mence. Sure, Mega Mence is capable of big streaks in all formats, but given the opportunity cost of not being able to use another mega, rotations is probably the most favorable. A big curse of something like Mega Mence is that thanks to its Mega Stone, it can't hold a Lum Berry, and so is very vulnerable to paralysis, particularly on the turn it Mega Evolves, while it is still relatively easy to outspeed. But in rotations, it's easy (and indeed, a known and recommended strategy) to have a cleric ready to rotate in and solve the problem. Secondly, much of rotations strategy resolves around reducing the board state to a position where your active Pokemon can use a move that can handle all of the foe's remaining Pokemon, no matter which one rotates in. Here, Mega Salamence is a champion, because nothing is immune to Flying-type attacks. Rotations can be very frustrating when you have a move that's great against two of the foes but which the third is immune to, and sometimes forces awkward guessing games. But Aerilate-boosted STAB Return or Double Edge off of Mega Mence's massive attack is going to leave a mark even on things that resist it, making it much easier to spam. I don't plan to return to rotations until, at a minimum, I've gotten all five trophies, but it's definitely something I may play around with in the future.

Good luck on the streaks all, and if you have any particular input or thoughts on the new rule for updating the leaderboard for ongoing streaks, don't hesitate to share them.

I just obtained all of the trophies in the Battle Maison.

I still have Rotations and Triples to keep battling on since I stopped playing those once I got the trophies for them. I'm not sure if I'll go for streaks, but if I do it will likely be for Triples.

Attachments

Last edited:
Going forward (I'm not going to apply it retroactively), I'm only going to update the leaderboard for ongoing streaks at even 100s of battles (1100, 1200, etc.). This limits the need for repeated small updates. Feel free to share videos of interesting battles on your ongoing streaks, but I'll only update the record to the last 100 battle mark reached. Naturally, if your streak ends, you'll receive credit for the full number of victories achieved, and not just the last 100-mark.
First of all, I like the speedy Rotations team; glad to see it worked out!

I was thinking we might need to implement something like this; trading ongoing streaks can become a little ridiculous. It seems a little silly that if Jump posts a 1375 streak, the leaderboard would only say 1300, though. What do you think about having a "once per hundred" rule? So if someone posts an ongoing streak, the leaderboard says their exact winning streak, but you won't update until they reach the next 100 marker? So, for example, if I posted a 1323 ongoing streak, then 1375 for the same streak, then 1412, my spot on the leaderboard would say 1323, then 1412, with the 1375 wins as an uncredited post.

I'm totally fine either way, just thought I'd throw that out there as an idea.

A short break from ORAS to post this, and to add a comment.

Here are some facts gleaned from your posts thus far in this thread:

1) You "don't know who" turskain is despite him:
  • having set basically every record in this thread, and,
  • being the most prolific poster in this thread
2) Your posts by themselves did not warrant inclusion of your streak, as you failed to follow the second rule of this thread: "Provide as much information as possible. Posting your Pokémon, held items, abilities, natures, EV spreads and movesets makes your record much more interesting and gives more room for feedback from other members."

3) You insist on having created a team that is literally, objectively a copy of NoCheese's team, save for the slightly different Durant, which is identical to VaporeonIce's, and further have given neither of them credit for their well-documented, battle-tested creations when this is pointed out.

4) You are ignorant of several facets of the Maison AI, like:
  • Scarf Aerodactyl not appearing after Battle 40, and
  • Dewgong3 having Fake Out
  • Volcarona1 having Whirlwind
all of which are curious at the very least of a once-#1 singles record holder.

5) "So let it be seen by people who love the game not ones who are looking for some recognition" is exceedingly ironic, considering the facts that:
  • you actually did not post this team until you were prompted to (despite the rules being in the first post), and
  • that your posts, by virtue of your refusal to include virtually nothing outside of recognition-seeking Battle IDs, by definition seek nothing but recognition
6) You have spent more time and effort been unnecessarily defensive and combative than writing out the required team strategy explanation.

Despite how this post may read to you, I can assure you I'm holding back. I have brutally laid into a few much more respected users—like FiveKRunner, Hipmonlee and even the godfather of these threads in Peterko—than you in years past if I felt they deserved it. You have earned none of the respect they have by sheer virtue of your registration date, without even going into how you have carried yourself in just two weeks as a member of this community.

If you are going to continue to contribute to these threads, please change your attitude.
Like I said I don't know any of you nor do I care to Again with the BS giving somebody else credit for my team I don't care if you run your mouth cause like I said you are NOBODY to me and please explain why I need to Know anybody who only talks so much trash?People were asking ME about MY team and You ALL jumped in MY conversation!I never said anything until you all started that dumb shhh. HEre's an Idea MIND YOUR BUSINESS!

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Gale Wings
31/31/31/X/31/31
252 Att/4 Def/252 Spe
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Tailwind
-Protect

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Overgrow
31/x/31/31/31/31
252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
-Grass Knot
-Dragon Pulse
-Focus Blast
-Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Wide Lens
Levitate
31/X/31/31/31/31
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Discharge
-Dark Pulse
-Hydro Pump
-Protect

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Nature: Brave
Stance Change
31/31/31/31/31/x
252 HP/252 Att/4 SpD
-Iron Head
-Shadow Sneak
-Sacred Sword
-King's Shield

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Nature: Jolly
Rough Skin
31/31/31/x/31/31
252 Att/4 Def/252 Spe
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly
Pressure
31/31/31/x/31/31
252 Att/4 Def/252 Spe
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off
- Protect
- Fake Out
We did it boys, 200 streak in triples with my Sceptile team. Quoted with adjustments. I won't elaborate too much since 200 isn't a big deal.

I considered modest Sceptile with Greninja support, but I maintained my original reasoning that Sceptile is not a leading man on par with Blastoise or Gardevoir, modest or not, and I shouldn't treat it like one. While it lacks firepower initially, it CAN kill after my teammates wear the enemy down turn 1, while getting discharge boosted and outspeeding literally EVERYTHING except Accelgor (i.e. bird bait). Its speed just gives it way more staying power, letting it kill threats that would otherwise force a switch. Of course this team wouldn't work without an amazing backup. I'm sure mine is far from the best, but it worked wonderfully for this streak.

The run was definitely more stressful than with SimicCombine's set in XY, but it was very fun and satisfying using a team with my own spin on it, as well as my favorite mega.

Thank you all for your guidance and if anyone wants to know anything just ask. Some replays:

UP4G-WWWW-WWWH-BBM3 (Veteran)
86AW-WWWW-WWWH-BAK5 (Veteran)
47KG-WWWW-WWWH-BBNP (Lightning Rod nonsense)
WA3G-WWWW-WWWH-BBNX (Played like an idiot, but pulled through)
FFZG-WWWW-WWWH-BBL3 (Battle 200, nothing special)

Last edited:

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Oh yea, been doing ORAS Super Doubles Maison for BP and got a good streak going and end of 246. Lost it to a really important turn where I needed to not be crit to win. I'll post about the exact team I used when I get a better streak with it but here's the battle video of my loss for proof and some details for now ZLXW-WWWW-WWWH-BPY5. If you're too lazy to click, the 4 mons were Mega Gardevoir/Blastoise/Zapdos/Scizor.

Getting close to passing the streak I had last week, but I'll post all the details of the team and run when I lose this one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)