Research Week ORAS Edition [Week 1] - Won by Rohail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
shout-out to my Mazz for being the OG-OP
Hello, Underused!

Professor Kink here to present to you the ORAS edition of Research Week!

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Week:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon or movesets I choose and / or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.
A few things to clarify:
  • Sign-ups can be as late as you want, but the week will always end on Saturday.
  • Early period means the first three days of the Research Week, so let's keep the theorymoning to a minimum after this period. The late period refers to the last four days of the research week, where raw evidence and discussion should become the basis of the thread.
  • The prizes for Research Week have been decided; winning a Research Week will grant you half-ops on our IRC channel, #xyuu. You'll also get put in the UU Hall of Fame. Don't forget, participation in projects like Research Week help towards earning the Community Contributor badge!
  • I'm implementing a mandatory discussion in order to be considered as a winner of Research Week. If you do not post one somewhat-coherent post that describes the Pokemon that you're using, their roles, and their niche in the metagame, you will be disqualified from winning this week. Please post about your experiences no matter if you think you've got a chance to win or not.
  • Finally, I'd like to implore you to all please remember to post and save your replays. Often, these replays are the most informative sources of information about RW Pokemon - you can write a full two paragraphs about the role of a Pokemon, but often that can all be summed up with a video and an explanation of it. How useful are these Pokemon in XYUU? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #xyuu and the Viability Ranking Thread as well.

This Week's Selection
Krookodile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: HP / 252 Atk / Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor

Suicune @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory/Air Slash/Hidden Power Electric
- Calm Mind

Accelgor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Bug Buzz
- Encore
- Final Gambit

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
  • The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in the XYUU Hall of Fame (found in the Resource Thread)

Last edited:
Alt: Krookotrial

I'm going to use Bulk Up Krookodile
Tbh, I don't see it being too successful bc its an easy revenge kill by all the fast fighting types that are running rampant rn (ie, Loppuny, Gallade, Mienshao, Infernape and Luke to a lesser extent), and other fast special attackers like pidgeot, sceptile, hydriegon (which also resists stab combo), shaymin, nido, starmie, raikou, whimsicott; I mean the list just goes on and on. I feel like T-Wave support will be manditory, but even then idk. I'll give it a shot.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
To all that signed up, the krook set is now HP/Speed interchangeable. You have to keep the max attack adamant, but you can diversify the remaining EVS how you see fit.

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
R Research
Accelgor

Initial thoughts:
Accelgor seems like the perfect lead for HO Spikes stacking teams. It can support dangerous Pokemon like Mega Bunny, Pidgeot, Nidoking, Lucario, etc. since they only need a little bit of chip damage to muscle past their checks. Accelgor's Speed + unburden means that it can set up at least two layers of Spikes against anything that doesn't have priority. My only concern is being able to keep the Spikes on the field. UU is a tier filled with great Defoggers and even Spinners, so removing the Spikes isn't too hard to do, so I'll need to keep offensive pressure up, which shouldn't be that hard since I'm using HO. We'll see how it goes though :]

I feel like this replay speaks volumes to how bad Bulk Up Krookodile is. In my earlier post I mentioned how it wouldn't work because of the speed issue, but even with 3 layers of spikes and a +2 boost, it doesn't even have the raw power to break through any standard physical tanks such as Vaporeon, Swampert, Hippo, and Milotic, as seen in the replay. Every team has multiple answers to this set, without even specifically trying to counter it. It is extremely underwhelming.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-193020157

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
I feel like this replay speaks volumes to how bad Bulk Up Krookodile is. In my earlier post I mentioned how it wouldn't work because of the speed issue, but even with 3 layers of spikes and a +2 boost, it doesn't even have the raw power to break through any standard physical tanks such as Vaporeon, Swampert, Hippo, and Milotic, as seen in the replay. Every team has multiple answers to this set, without even specifically trying to counter it. It is extremely underwhelming.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-193020157
Then you're playing it wrong ;) I've seen that Krook do some spectacular things.

Then you're playing it wrong ;) I've seen that Krook do some spectacular things.
Any proof though? The only type of team Krook can really break is stall, which isn't very common rn.

And are my previous points invalid? Base 92 speed leaves much to be desired, especially when you're investing so much in bulk; very few non-stall teams are swept by Krook. Fighting spam is the defining aspect of the current meta, therefore any variant of Krook attempting to stay in for many turns in attempt of sweeping, is not a viable Krook in my opinion. I mean in the replay I posted, it had the support of 3 layers of spikes and was given the opportunity to set up 2 bulk ups. That is a setup opportunity most sweepers would feast off of, but Krook just lacks the power to break bulky waters which are also dominate the meta rn.

In order for any counter-argument to be taken seriously, replays of competitive battles featuring this set would be needed; no low ladder bs.

After using leadnape for a while, my overall feelings on how it performs right now are sort of "eh". I mean it can do its job pretty consistently, but I feel a little underwhelmed, mostly because I find myself wishing I was using Azelf instead a lot of the time. I mean, leadnape does get very good matchups against a lot of the more common defensive leads in the tier like Swampert and Mega Aggron, and I'd be a terrible liar if I said that getting off a 1hp Endeavor against something that only has lefties for recovery feels awesome, but I'm just not totally satisfied because those aren't the most common leads that I've been running into. The biggest issue right now that's stopped leadnape from really putting in work for me has been the presence of Fake Out lead Lopunny, who absolutely destroys this set with Fake Out followed by High Jump Kick, it basically forces me to switch into my Cress straight from the outset or waste Infernape totally. With Lopunny being on basically every team that Gallade isn't on or close to it right now, leadnape struggles to get his job done far too often for my taste.

I like the poke, and I'll use him for the rest of the week, but at the moment it feels like having this poke lead when he struggles with the most common mega atm I can't really endorse using him. I'll definitely be giving him another shot if and when Mega Lopunny leaves UU, but right now I think its not leadnape's time.

Is it possible to switch between RW pokes a little bit btw? Because I kind of want to try out lead Accelgor a little too.

In.
Alt: 0kayThen
I'm gonna be using lead Accelgor, that speed is gonna be crazy. I hope it's useful at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)