(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

This really isn't a small nitpick, but...
I hate how both ORAS and XY try to shove Mega Evolution and Primal Reversion down your throat. I mean, it's not a bad idea, but when things like Primal Reversion come in to the game, it looks like it's going to be a really important part of the plot, but it really adds nothing to the story what so ever and it's just a waste of time. Same with the animations for Primal Reversion, like, just end already.
Mega Evolution isn't that big of a problem, but I hate how they tried to make XY and ORAS's story a part of each other. When you talk to Stephen's dad he's like 'the ancient weapon herp derp' and it just adds nothing and is really stupid.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
This really isn't a small nitpick, but...
I hate how both ORAS and XY try to shove Mega Evolution and Primal Reversion down your throat. I mean, it's not a bad idea, but when things like Primal Reversion come in to the game, it looks like it's going to be a really important part of the plot, but it really adds nothing to the story what so ever and it's just a waste of time. Same with the animations for Primal Reversion, like, just end already.
Mega Evolution isn't that big of a problem, but I hate how they tried to make XY and ORAS's story a part of each other. When you talk to Stephen's dad he's like 'the ancient weapon herp derp' and it just adds nothing and is really stupid.
While I wouldn't say it's stupid and didn't add anything, I would say it kind of takes away from the games being Gen III remakes. FRLG didn't have a lot of connection to RSE and HGSS didn't have any connection to DPP. That made those remakes feel like their own game that can stand on their own without needing the current gen game to act like a third wheel. However ORAS just shoves the Kalos and XY stuff into it that it kind of feels the game is can't stand on its own without Kalos. The story sort of relies on a plot element from XY, a plot element in a region that is NO WHERE NEAR HOENN. I'd even argue that Unova is closer to Hoenn than Kalos is (at least if you put them on their real world location and go by water routes)! They pretty much needed a reason for Mega Evolutions to exist in Hoenn and decided that reason is "because Kalos and the ultimate weapon". Honestly had they said something like when Rayquaza Mega Evolved and stopped Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon (who were able to revert to their primal forms as they REALLY wanted to defeat the other one so began absorbing the energy of the planet), the energy Mega Rayquaza gave off mixed with the primal energy so that when the energy went back into the planet it allowed the Pokemon of Hoenn to Mega Evolve. I would buy that, sort of goes with Hoenn's nature theme more too. They didn't need to bring in XY, sure maybe reference it (I like the idea of AZ traveling to other regions and helping out a bit, like planting the tree in Sootopolis), but don't use a plot point from it as a plot point in these games.

I suppose I'm in the minority that actually likes the non-Gen III ish feeling in ORAS? I mean, to me, the original R/S games were really dry to me, and if you take out the mega-evolution and primal reversion aspect of the games, then that's all you're really going to be left with: just dry content. While I understand that some of the whole backstory behind Primal Reversion and Mega-Evolution just seems like unnecessary "fluff" for the sake of adding more to make the games more interesting, some of it is actually intriguing (though I suppose it really depends on the person and whether or not you care about the whole mega-evolution aspect; I most certainly did, so there's that).

I actually liked learning about Kyogre's Primal Reversion and how it connects to Mega-Evolution, because it made me feel like I was actually going somewhere (i.e, making some kind of progress) plot-wise, where my reaction was generally "oh shit, now I'm getting to the meat and bones of the games". Back in the original R/S, I can barely remember a thing that stood out to me as particularly interesting or intriguing, and in these games I can actually get a grasp that Team Aqua was after the power of Mega-Evolution, as well as Primal Reversion (Kyogre) and you, the main character, is going to stop them and save the world, as is typical for R/S.

Now, I completely actually understand the whole thing with Steven's dad going on a tangent about the weapon that destroyed Pokemon (and I think some of humanity? Maybe it destroyed most of the Pokemon population, idr the entire thing), but I believed that in itself had more to do with the general plot of the Delta episode which was relevant to that in particular. I think the games were trying to remind you of what took place in X/Y and directly connect it to the events in the Delta Episode to give you an idea of what's taking place and set the foundation for the Delta Episode, as well as, in a sense, give you a sense of urgency that "ok, this is some serious shit if he's telling me about some story years ago, even if he is a rambling old man".

tl;dr: I generally feel all of the "kalos references" and whatnot actually made ORAS more interesting. What else would you have substituted it with, given the amazing lack of "meat", so to speak, in the original R/S games? There's literally nothing that was memorable, not even during your first meeting with Steven and nothing really happens until probably after you beat Fortree's gym, whereas in ORAS you actually managed to encounter Team Aqua/Magma quite a bit. Maybe I'm wrong, it's been years since I've played the original Gen III games, but I feel it's a bit out of left field to say that mixing in a bit of Kalos' plot was unnecessary.

Last edited:
I suppose I'm in the minority that actually likes the non-Gen III ish feeling in ORAS? I mean, to me, the original R/S games were really dry to me, and if you take out the mega-evolution and primal reversion aspect of the games, then that's all you're really going to be left with: just dry content. While I understand that some of the whole backstory behind Primal Reversion and Mega-Evolution just seems like unnecessary "fluff" for the sake of adding more to make the games more interesting, some of it is actually intriguing (though I suppose it really depends on the person and whether or not you care about the whole mega-evolution aspect; I most certainly did, so there's that).

I actually liked learning about Kyogre's Primal Reversion and how it connects to Mega-Evolution, because it made me feel like I was actually going somewhere (i.e, making some kind of progress) plot-wise, where my reaction was generally "oh shit, now I'm getting to the meat and bones of the games". Back in the original R/S, I can barely remember a thing that stood out to me as particularly interesting or intriguing, and in these games I can actually get a grasp that Team Aqua was after the power of Mega-Evolution of their own, as well as Primal Reversion (Kyogre) and you, the main character, is going to stop them and save the world, as is typical for R/S.

Now, I completely actually understand the whole thing with Steven's dad going on a tangent about the weapon that destroyed Pokemon (and I think some of humanity? Maybe it destroyed most of the Pokemon population, idr the entire thing), but I believed that in itself had more to do with the general plot of the Delta episode which was relevant to that in particular. I think the games were trying to remind you of what took place in X/Y and directly connect it to the events in the Delta Episode to give you an idea of what's taking place and set the foundation for the Delta Episode, as well as, in a sense, give you a sense of urgency that "ok, this is some serious shit if he's telling me about some story years ago, even if he is a rambling old man".

tl;dr: I generally feel all of the "kalos references" and whatnot actually made ORAS more interesting. What else would you have substituted it with, given the amazing lack of "meat", so to speak, in the original R/S games? There's literally nothing that was memorable, not even during your first meeting with Steven and nothing really happens until probably after you beat Fortree's gym, whereas in ORAS you actually managed to encounter Team Aqua/Magma quite a bit. Maybe I'm wrong, it's been years since I've played the original Gen III games, but I feel it's a bit out of left field to say that mixing in a bit of Kalos' plot was unnecessary.
To add to this, someone said earlier that the added Kalos story makes it feel like ORAS isn't it's own standalone game.
I actually like that. No really, am I the only one here who likes the idea that they're connecting different regions? Different stories? Even going so far as to bring a classic Pokémon game into the mix?
For once Pokémon actually has a universal mythos. An overarching storyline that has so much potential and, with Az's long life and travelling, opens up so many possibilities.
Not to mention the way they've done it... ORAS still stands on it's own as a story quite easily. It's still the classic game you remember of beat the evil teams and save the world from intense weather (which, by the way, I feel is far better done in this game -- Groudon sets the FUCKING SKY ON FIRE), but now you also have a mysterious element to it, a connection, some sort of... fuck I'm bad at wording this, but you get the idea. I like that GF are connecting the games now and rather than just have them all be standalone - which they still work as - you get the idea there's some sort of overarching universal mythos and mystery to solve and explore.

To add to this, someone said earlier that the added Kalos story makes it feel like ORAS isn't it's own standalone game.
I actually like that. No really, am I the only one here who likes the idea that they're connecting different regions? Different stories? Even going so far as to bring a classic Pokémon game into the mix?
For once Pokémon actually has a universal mythos. An overarching storyline that has so much potential and, with Az's long life and travelling, opens up so many possibilities.
Not to mention the way they've done it... ORAS still stands on it's own as a story quite easily. It's still the classic game you remember of beat the evil teams and save the world from intense weather (which, by the way, I feel is far better done in this game -- Groudon sets the FUCKING SKY ON FIRE), but now you also have a mysterious element to it, a connection, some sort of... fuck I'm bad at wording this, but you get the idea. I like that GF are connecting the games now and rather than just have them all be standalone - which they still work as - you get the idea there's some sort of overarching universal mythos and mystery to solve and explore.
I agree. The basic story of Ruby and Sapphire is still there with the only real intrusion from Kalos being Mega Stones, but even then, it's more that they exist than anything else. It isn't until the Delta Episode that elements from Kalos really start popping up, but this is post-game, so it's not bad.
Plus, I enjoy having connections. Look at Gen IV. We have references to the Lake of Rage and Jasmine appearing in the Sinnoh games and we see Crusher Wake in Johto along with references that the post-game of HGSS is at the same time as DPPt. I loved that.
I will admit though, I still feel weird about Gen III Hoenn being in an alternate universe.

lats

formerly lockiegengar12
Something that really annoys me is that a D/C in passerby Wi-Fi battle doesn't count as a loss for the offending player, or a win for the player that was D/C'd against.

Chaining. Until somebody can calculate official odds for DexNav chaining in ORAS, it is going to drive me insane. I like to know what I'm up against when it comes to odds. So far, I have attempted to chain twice: the first one broke at 82 because of a stupid mistake, and I just had one break at 75 a few minutes ago out of bad luck. At least in gen 4 I knew the probability of me succeeding even though I suck HORRIBLY at the Pokeradar. I even had some limited, if extremely lucky, success back then.

Here's my big bone to pick with GF. Why the fuck have they not released or even announced Hoopa and Volcanion yet? It has been almost an entire year since they were discovered, and we still have nothing. Even though they announced Diancie not long after it was discovered, look at how ridiculously long it took to be released! I just don't understand it. We already know about them and go to great lengths to hack them in, why not at least have the courtesy to acknowledge their existence? The same could also be said for AZ's Floette, but people don't really care about that as much.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Here's my big bone to pick with GF. Why the fuck have they not released or even announced Hoopa and Volcanion yet? It has been almost an entire year since they were discovered, and we still have nothing. Even though they announced Diancie not long after it was discovered, look at how ridiculously long it took to be released! I just don't understand it. We already know about them and go to great lengths to hack them in, why not at least have the courtesy to acknowledge their existence? The same could also be said for AZ's Floette, but people don't really care about that as much.
If I recall correctly, event legendaries have been given the same treatment in earlier generations. The worst offender being Arceus, I think, it took forever before it was announced.

The reason why Nintendo don't acknowledge them before their promotion can only be speculated on. Possibly to maximize the publicity once they are truly announced. For every Pokémon player who visits websites to look up secret info, there probably are two or three who don't, and will be completely oblivious to their existence until the events run.

Given how Hoopa's alternate Forme is coded into ORAS, I guess we'll see it released some time before the next Pokémon game comes out (similar to how Diancie was released before ORAS). Volcanion is probably still some time away, but it's reasonable to assume we'll see it before the end of this generation.

If anything, the long spacing out between event legendary releases gives us a certain idea on how long we can expect the generation to be. Since we've only gotten one of the three within the first year of Gen. VI, we can assume it will last for at least three years.

If I recall correctly, event legendaries have been given the same treatment in earlier generations. The worst offender being Arceus, I think, it took forever before it was announced.
From the Japanese release in September 2006 till the Japanese reveal in February 2009, Game Freak pretended it didn't exist.

I vaguely recall an official Pokémon magazine in the UK having to use fan-art during the official reveal because it took so long.

Why would they go to all the trouble of hiding Pokémon in the code just to reveal them all right away...?
I wasn't expecting them to reveal them immediately, it's just that it's been quite a while now that we've known about their existence.

It was the same with Arceus, I'd actually forgotten about that, but it just seems crazy to withhold info that is already widely known for so long.

I wasn't expecting them to reveal them immediately, it's just that it's been quite a while now that we've known about their existence.

It was the same with Arceus, I'd actually forgotten about that, but it just seems crazy to withhold info that is already widely known for so long.
Every event legendary has a movie, it's a way to slowly get out 'new' Pokémon while still keeping public interest without having to release a whole new gen or a new game. That's how it's always been since like... Gen 2 probably, Gen 3 at the earliest, so I'm not sure why it's so relevant now. To me it'd seem crazy to just throw in all these completely different event legendaries with very different stories and characteristics so close to each other without giving them the attention they deserve.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I vaguely recall an official Pokémon magazine in the UK having to use fan-art during the official reveal because it took so long.
I remember a website (I think it was Serebii) interviewed I think it was Junichi Masuda and asked him about Arceus as the time. He pretended he didn't know know what they were talking about.

But yeah, the Event Legendaries are meant to not exist until officially revealed. If they could they probably wouldn't include them in the code and have you download their files directly in the game when the event is distributed, but obviously they can't do that so hiding it in the code and pretending it doesn't exist is the next best thing (and it works, they just got to make sure for any official tournament that no one enters with one which can easily be done by putting it on a ban list).

Every event legendary has a movie, it's a way to slowly get out 'new' Pokémon while still keeping public interest without having to release a whole new gen or a new game. That's how it's always been since like... Gen 2 probably, Gen 3 at the earliest, so I'm not sure why it's so relevant now.
Mew says hi. :P

Mauvile city just looks stupid now. As your walking the camera angle will switch to weird positions that will outright prevent you from seeing certain things and a large part of the city is just a black abyss as you an see past the walls.
Also one of my favourite things about Gen V was that even though it was linear it felt like a cohesive world. It was very well thought and you felt like you were actually travelling throughout a single region. In Gen VI the world just feels like a bunch of different locations shoehorned together that make little to no thematic sense; (the desert between Lumiose city is the biggest offender IMO). There was this sense of awe I got travelling through Unova that I didn't get when I went through Kalos.

Mauvile city just looks stupid now. As your walking the camera angle will switch to weird positions that will outright prevent you from seeing certain things and a large part of the city is just a black abyss as you an see past the walls.
Also one of my favourite things about Gen V was that even though it was linear it felt like a cohesive world. It was very well thought and you felt like you were actually travelling throughout a single region. In Gen VI the world just feels like a bunch of different locations shoehorned together that make little to no thematic sense; (the desert between Lumiose city is the biggest offender IMO). There was this sense of awe I got travelling through Unova that I didn't get when I went through Kalos.
I think this is because there was more emphasis on creating a "continuous" region in Gen V to enhance the atmosphere of the game and make it seem more graphically enhanced than it is. The DS had aged by this point, so there wasn't too much extra graphical power to work with, and GF probably tried to make the region design seem more realistic in its layout to compensate.
When Gen VI came around, they had shiny new 3D graphics to work with and threw any sense of continuity out the window in order to make the games look impressive next to their predecessors. Mauville City DOES look dumb, but look at how fancy it is compared to other cities in Pokemon games. I feel like the graphical upgrades in ORAS exist solely to contrast with the technology of 11 years ago.

I actually wonder whether they originally intended to release Arceus a lot earlier than they did, since they went to the effort of coding in that whole event item with associated event/encounter and then never used it for some reason.

I actually wonder whether they originally intended to release Arceus a lot earlier than they did, since they went to the effort of coding in that whole event item with associated event/encounter and then never used it for some reason.
That's something that personally falls under "(Little) Things that annoy you in Gen 4". The weird thing is that happened twice that generation. They never did release the Lock Capsule for HeartGold and SoulSilver, which means you can't get TM95 in Black and White. Luckily, it's just Snarl, so it isn't a big deal, but it is the principle of the thing.

That's something that personally falls under "(Little) Things that annoy you in Gen 4". The weird thing is that happened twice that generation. They never did release the Lock Capsule for HeartGold and SoulSilver, which means you can't get TM95 in Black and White. Luckily, it's just Snarl, so it isn't a big deal, but it is the principle of the thing.
The little completionist inside me died while playing BW, yes.
Should we just expand this thread to "Little things that annoy you in Pokémon games"? Because really a lot of problems being posted here are multi-gen or even other-gen now.

The lag that happens sometimes during battles when playing on a normal 3DS; I don't know if they managed to resolve the issue in ORAS, though.

The lag that happens sometimes during battles when playing on a normal 3DS; I don't know if they managed to resolve the issue in ORAS, though.
Unfortunately still present.
When you say 'normal 3DS', do you mean to imply this doesn't happen with the New 3DS?

Unfortunately still present.
When you say 'normal 3DS', do you mean to imply this doesn't happen with the New 3DS?
Nintendo did say that the New 3DS would have faster downloads, which means it likely has better internet/wireless speeds in general, which would reduce lag.

I don't know why, but ORAS feels less fluent than R/S/E. There are more area transitions between routes and towns. In the originals, there would be a split second delay and the route is ready to go. The music transitioned awkwardly. Also, route 113 feels less magical.

Something that's starting to annoy me just a little is with the O-Powers. When an O-Power levels up, why are the previous levels even remotely still available? Just use the highest level I have available that I have energy for for the one I pick! When are you ever going to consider using level 1 or 2 when you can use level 3? Maybe I'm getting annoyed with it because of going into Capture Power every time I reset for Terrakion at the moment...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 6)