Pokémon Emboar

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big downfall is the speed. Can't outspeed Greninja at +1? That's like the minimum a scarf user should be faster then. And of course, Greninja resists Sucker Punch initially.

Regarding Reckless it is outclassed by Staraptor and Mienshao. Both have far superior Speed at 100 and 105 respectively, as well as U-Turn, and Mienshao has the benefit of having the strongest Reckless boosted move that actually only causes recoil when you miss. They also all have Attack between 120 and 125.

At least Emboar as the widest variety of Reckless boosted moves, as well as priority in the form of Sucker Punch, which is actually pretty useful. Unfortunately CB Sucker Punch is horrid and LO plus recoil will kill you FAR quicker than its worth. And you know what, I started devising an Air Balloon set that could take advantage of an immunity, but then the power output is just abysmal and not worth it.

Sorry, I don't see Emboar working. I'm not at all optimistic about it.
Having a great speed tier for an offensive pokemon is always good, but Emboar doesn't have to be super fast to function as a wallbreaker. Think in terms of Crawdaunt, Diggersby, Azumarill, M-Hera, M-Camerupt, etc...These pokemon trade off blazing speed for immediate power and respectable bulk (they even all have abilities that boost their offensive kit). Really, the only things separating all of these pokemon on how well they perform in the meta are typing and coverage. (Azumarill just got the lucky straw in being able to pull its weight against certain offense pokes better than the rest and having well-rounded defenses.) The first three even have priority like Emboar.

So, if you need a strong, non-mega Fire hitter to break down more balanced or defensive cores (especially with a surprise factor I'll bet) that can threaten Heatran (looking at you Talonflame and Focus Blast/SubPup-less Victini), a Bisharp check outside of other fighting types, Burn check (fuck off Sableye), Trick room sweeper, just overall nuke, and you might not be able to afford defogging/spinning during a match or decide not even to include hazard control on your team, Emboar is pretty good.

It's not the end all, be all Wallbreaker, let alone sweeper. It's good under certain circumstances or teambuilding restrictions, won't be Ermagawdbanthisshit S level (probably not even B level)...but it definitely has a reliable niche, and that niche does not include being a scarfer.

Last edited:
This thing learns Scald. :o
It also gets Low Kick from ORAS tutors as another option for Fighting STAB which doesn't lower stats (though it probably won't care since it will be switching out).
As others have said, its pathetic speed is its most crippling flaw (though it's weak to birdspam too).

Some Calcs for power(Calcing Flare Blitz so it is fair):

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 8 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 1912-2256 (591.9 - 698.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Victini Flare Blitz vs. 8 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 1516-1788 (469.3 - 553.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 8 HP / 0- SpD Abomasnow in Sun: 1744-2056 (539.9 - 636.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Outdamages its competitors, and it can actually spam the STAB, unlike Vic who loses speed and defense, and Zard Y who has lower accuracy. Heck, it outdamages a 120 power move (Changed so it is fair) in sun.

Emboar is going to be a huge threat if it isn't dealt with quickly.

Yeah, definitely slow, but the power is amazing. And it can learn taunt, which is really helpful against things like Chansey, Slowbro, Latias (Switch in), and offensive mons, so you can hit with sucker punch.
252 Atk Life Orb Emboar Sucker Punch vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 239-283 (74.9 - 88.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Some Calcs for power(Calcing Flare Blitz so it is fair):

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 8 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 1912-2256 (591.9 - 698.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Victini Flare Blitz vs. 8 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 1516-1788 (469.3 - 553.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 8 HP / 0- SpD Abomasnow in Sun: 1744-2056 (539.9 - 636.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Outdamages its competitors, and it can actually spam the STAB, unlike Vic who loses speed and defense, and Zard Y who has lower accuracy. Heck, it outdamages a 120 power move (Changed so it is fair) in sun.

Emboar is going to be a huge threat if it isn't dealt with quickly.

Yeah, definitely slow, but the power is amazing. And it can learn taunt, which is really helpful against things like Chansey, Slowbro, Latias (Switch in), and offensive mons, so you can hit with sucker punch.
252 Atk Life Orb Emboar Sucker Punch vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 239-283 (74.9 - 88.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Yyyyeah, this comparison doesn't make sense when Victini doesn't get Flare Blitz. I know you're trying to 'keep it fair', but this comparison is completely irrelevant as in a real situation you have to take everything into account.

252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 2068-2440 (644.2 - 760.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And even then I don't particularly like using super effective opponents as the super effective multipliers get in the way and exaggerate damage difference.

252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 367-433 (107.6 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 339-399 (99.4 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Sun: 313-370 (91.7 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

The difference in damage, realistically, is pretty damn small.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Victini does actually learn Flare Blitz however, proving that Emboar can kill 5 Abomasnow in one hit is quite pointless. As proved by the calculations in the posts above, it's clear that Emboar doesn't lack firepower. Its flaws (low speed, defenses and typing), however, will likely prevent it from becoming OU even with Reckless. The only real advantage it gets over Victini is neutrality to Stealth Rock and access to a powerful (but unreliable) priority move.

I don't think that anyone is saying that Emboar will become an OU staple or anything like that. I'm fairly certain that it will be viable, however (around C to B on the viability rankings probably) and it should carve a niche for itself that the other Fire and Fighting types and Reckless Pokemon have.

Victini has better speed and overall bulk with defenses are taken into consideration, as well as more power in V-Create and access to U-turn for momentum. However, it is highly weak to Pursuit with a Choice Band, is weak to Stealth Rock and, like Emboar, it struggles to get in on offensive teams.

Mega Charizard Y is better as a Fire type wallbreaker than both, but it's a Mega, it can actually be walled, and its takes half of its max health from SR (though with Roost, Victini honestly has bigger problems).

Entei is probably also worth mentioning, as it can give Emboar competition with a more spammable STAB and a better priority move, but it has poor coverage, is weak to Stealth Rock and is weaker than Emboar.

Emboar can hit the second hardest out of the four, but his coverage moves are stronger than the others'. He has access to powerful secondary STAB moves, which the others can't really brag about; Victini is the only one that uses the secondary STAB, which is an 80 BP 90 Acc move that doesn't have the greatest offensive typing, whereas Emboar hits hard with a 120 or 100 BP Fighting STAB move and with a higher Attack stat as well. However, Emboar takes recoil from most of its attacks and is the slowest of the four Fire type wallbreakers. He has priority, but it is unreliable, especially for a Pokemon that is essentially required to have a Choice Band. However, with Flare Blitz + Wild Charge + Superpower, it has no counters, like Victini, meaning that something is going to either faint or take serious damage whenever it gets in.

So yeah, Emboar has its differences from its competition and should be pretty viable even if it stays RU by usage.

With Greninja being suspected, is it ok to talk about the potential of Emboar's performance in a meta without Greninja in it? One of the main issues was scarf being relatively inferior because it was outsped by Greninja by one point. But if that won't be the case, then it suddenly becomes far more viable.

Emboar@Choice Scarf
Reckless
Naive 252 At / 60 SpA / 196 Spd
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Superpower/Hammer Arm
- Grass Knot

196 Spd with a scarf puts you right above Thundurus-I. However if Serperior becomes popular then you may as well run full speed to also outrun Dugtrio, Sceptile (pre-mega), Alakazam (pre-mega), Starmie, Mega Houndoom, Azelf, Tornadus-T and Raikou. What's interesting though is that we neglect Emboar's good SpA stat, and Grass Knot helps him get by some otherwise very tough walls since he isn't using a band. Namely it's a clean 2HKO on Mega Slowbro without recoil.

60 SpA Emboar Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Slowbro: 220-260 (55.8 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
60 SpA Emboar Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 238-282 (56.6 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
60 SpA Emboar Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Swampert: 340-400 (99.7 - 117.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
60 SpA Emboar Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 348-412 (88.3 - 104.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
60 SpA Emboar Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 444-525 (104.7 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This Emboar is probably a good companion on Birdspam teams, as the unlikely Grass Knot combined with his natural STAB pairing is perfect for getting rid of the bulky Steel and Rock types that give Talonflame and Mega Pinsir issues.

OO include Earthquake, Head Smash, Iron Head, and HP Ice. Earthquake lets you hit Char X primarily, although Head Smash would too and benefits from Reckless, but it depends if you want that accuracy. Iron Head is needed to hit Mega Altaria. And HP Ice would do the most damage to the numerous 4x weak Dragons and Ground types to it.

Is it viable in OU? no. UU? quite possibly. While I have to admit that Emboar's movepool is ideal for reckless, that the HP stat is pretty nice, and that its typing is ok defensively, it is not enough to make it from RU all the way to OU. Even as a wallbreaker, emboar cannot outspeed many walls, allowing it to be afflicted with status, or allowing the opponent to set up one more layer of hazards, or to recover. Looking at the OU tier right now, Emboar's base speed is only higher than 10 pokes, all of which have decent checks and counters already. Granted this thing hits like a truck, but I guarantee that it will not see the opportunity to get a move off without being OHKO's most of the time. I do like that it has suckerpunch but I will not dare put that on a choice band set. After doing some calcs, assault vest emboar looks like the most viable set, but I wouldn't try it on my team. But, with the possibility of greninja being banned, it could, possibly, barely, sort of, kinda of, potentially,see some usage.

For the most part, I agree with Jaroda: don't get your hopes up.

Is this thread necessary? Yes, it hits hard but is frail, slow and outclassed by most other fire types. It's typing is good offensively, but horrible defensively. Seriously, why use this over victini, infernape ior entei. To rap this up, it kills itself way to quickly. Finally, sucker punch is a bad move on a choice set for any pokemon, as it leaves them completely open for set up sweepers to come in and proceed to sweep or heavily dent you team. Not something I would want to use.

Is this thread necessary? Yes, it hits hard but is frail, slow and outclassed by most other fire types. It's typing is good offensively, but horrible defensively. Seriously, why use this over victini, infernape ior entei. To rap this up, it kills itself way to quickly. Finally, sucker punch is a bad move on a choice set for any pokemon, as it leaves them completely open for set up sweepers to come in and proceed to sweep or heavily dent you team. Not something I would want to use.
Probably worth having around when we get to test it for real. As cynical as I am about it's potential I think it's fine to leave this thread open until it has been proved non-viable in OU.

Emboar's only place in OU is TR. With Reckless being released and access to Sucker Punch, it will arguably be the best non-Mega TR sweeper available. This will let us use that Mega Slot for something else.

Emboar's only place in OU is TR. With Reckless being released and access to Sucker Punch, it will arguably be the best non-Mega TR sweeper available. This will let us use that Mega Slot for something else.
Sucker punch is different from any other priority moves.
Is 50/50 most of times, and only 8 pp; is a mindgame most of times.
Also isn't boost by reckless and no stab, so can't do much damages.

If u want a pokemon with a lot of power and sucker punch, bisharp is probably better.
Also emboar is a wallbreaker, not a sweeper.

Sucker punch is different from any other priority moves.
Is 50/50 most of times, and only 8 pp; is a mindgame most of times.
Also isn't boost by reckless and no stab, so can't do much damages.

If u want a pokemon with a lot of power and sucker punch, bisharp is probably better.
Also emboar is a wallbreaker, not a sweeper.
His point was if someone did intend to use Emboar in TR, then Sucker Punch would be usable since you would be running Life Orb and not a choice item, and also outs speeds priority from Talonflame in Trick Room. Too bad Azumarill and Crawdaunt resist Sucker Punch though.

Granted if you are going to run TR then Emboar actually surpasses most standard TR sweepers, and would pair up with Slowbro pretty well.

It's not really though; Grass Knot is a niche move which it hitting most of its targets for 120 power or is 4x super effective, all of whom are really defensive physically. Scald just kind of... exists. Sure, Rhyperior is hit for 4x damage with it, but it gets hit by that with Grass Knot too, so... :/

Scald actually is on the notable moves between Flamethrower and Focus Blast, but Scald doesn't hit much that is notable in OU whereas Grass Knot can deal with bulky Waters and and stuff like Slowbro, Mega Swampert and Hippowdown. Definitely niche though, but better than Scald for it. If I want to fish for a burn with Emboar, I'd rather just use Will-O-Wisp. Needs more testing though. It could be useful.

Also, to clarify some things: Emboar's not a Pokemon that you'd want to stay in with a lot of the time. Like Dragalge and Crawdaunt before it, Emboar is supposed to get in on something it either is faster than or can take a hit from and then fire a powerful attack that will usually set up a 2HKO for any Pokemon on the opposing team. That extra 20% damage on Wild Charge, Flare Blitz and Head Smash really does matter and might be enough to give Emboar some viability in OU (again, I doubt that it will move from RU in terms of usage, but in terms of viability it would probably fall within the C rankings of OU for its Choice Band set at least).

Also, I recognize that Sucker Punch is not the best option on a Choice set since it fails if the opponent switches out or doesn't attack, but the priority does have its uses for a surprise revenge kill or something. I could probably get rid of it or make Head Smash the first slash on the 4th move. Does anyone feel that Will-O-Wisp could fit on Choice Band as a "safe" move of sorts to cripple bulky phyiscal attackers with eased prediction or is the four coverage moves just better?

Last edited:
Emboar isn't like Camerupt where he doesn't have anything viable for a 4th attack outside of a very niche HP Grass, which means it can run WoW, Stealth Rock or Yawn. Emboar doesn't need to waste time trying to status or fish for a secondary effect from Scald, it's trying to kill shit. Even with an Adamant nature, check this calc out.

0- SpA Emboar Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 204-240 (48.5 - 57.1%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

It's a near guaranteed 2HKO as is. Also:

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 160-190 (40.6 - 48.2%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Emboar Grass Knot vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 206-244 (52.2 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Even with a Choice Band, Grass Knot will be your best 4th move since regardless of the variant of Mega Slowbro you will be able to 2HKO. If you're giving him a Choice Band he's meant to be a wall breaker and Grass Knot helps him fulfill this role. Sucker Punch, Scald or Wow won't.

In conclusion, if using a choice item, run Grass Knot. If using a Life Orb, yeah, use Sucker Punch to perform better against balance and HO. In which case Jaguar360 might I recommend Grass Knot as the 4th move on the choice band set and change the nature to Naive? It's better than even Head Smash considering what you're trying to hit.

In fact, I'd actually think this could be a decent LO set.

Emboar@Life Orb
Reckless
Naive 252 At / 32 SpA / 232 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower/Hammer Arm
- Sucker Punch
- Grass Knot/Wild Charge

This set actually makes Emboar dangerous and not nearly as self destructive when only 1/2 of your moves will have recoil. Looking at the tier list you need Wild Charge for less than you think. Neutral Flare Blitz is actually equal in power as a super effective Wild Charge. Many of the Water types are either faster and you shouldn't face anyway, Wild Charge doesn't OHKO, or one of your other moves are better for it anyway. Specially defensive Politoed has a 50% chance to die from Superpower after SR for example, and both it and Grass Knot are 2HKO on Slowbro with SR and Leftovers. What you do need Wild Charge for is Suicune, Azumarill, Alomomola, and Tentacruel. Meanwhile Grass Knot now lets you take on Hippowdon, Rhyperior, M-Slowbro, Quagsire, Swampert, Seismetoad, and Gastrodon and many of the Water types Wild Charge was for but without recoil damage. This is potentially his best set the more I think about it, may be worth adding more SpA for certain KOs.

EDIT: Mixed calcs for great justice.

32 SpA Life Orb Emboar Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 187-221 (47.4 - 56%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
32 SpA Life Orb Emboar Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 302-356 (71.9 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Emboar Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 265-312 (87.7 - 103.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Sylveon: 419-493 (106.8 - 125.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Conkeldurr: 305-360 (86.8 - 102.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mandibuzz: 226-266 (53.4 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
32 SpA Life Orb Emboar Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gastrodon: 276-328 (64.7 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Emboar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 650-767 (92.3 - 108.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
Rip Samurott with its useless ability
Head Smash and Flare Blitz are going to hit like freaking trucks, there's no doubt about that. My problem is, Fire / Fighting is a pretty bad defensive typing, since Birdspam and Bulky Water types are everywhere. It does have ok bulk (I guess). It's basically a similar Staraptor in my opinion. At least Staraptor has U-Turn, reliable recovery (if you really want to run Roost, idk why) and it's a lot faster. Emboar can't be Burned, however, and it's not walled by Skarm, so that's pretty cool. Does Superpower get boosted by Reckless? I don't think it does, just curious.
The common moves that get a Reckless boost are Flare Blitz, Wild Charge, and Head Smash, so the CB set should definitely use Reckless.

I see Emboar being a lot more potent with speed control in the form of Trick Room, Thunder Wave, or Tailwind. Of course, if using Trick Room, move all the Speed EVs to HP/Defense stats and run a Brave nature. Talonflame is a good offensive partner for FireSpam, and can even run Tailwind to use as it goes down so Emboar can clean up.

Harumonia Naturia

Banned deucer.
I really can't see this thing doing too much. It gets worn down too easily from hazards and recoil, and of course its horrid bulk and speed stats aren't doing it any favors.
Most people here seem to be praising Reckless Emboar to be a great wallbreaker due to Reckless and strong STABs, but there are many better options. Why use Emboar when you can use, say, Victini?

252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 252-298 (63.9 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
60 SpA Emboar Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 146-174 (37 - 44.1%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
vs
252 Atk Choice Band Victini Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 238-282 (60.4 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 307-363 (87.2 - 103.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
vs
252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 303-357 (86 - 101.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 238-282 (56.6 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
vs
252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 237-279 (56.4 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Victini has a similar damage output compared to Emboar, along with a greater movepool, significantly better bulk and speed, and an arguably better typing. Certainly, Victini is weak to Ghost and the omnipresent Knock Off, but Emboar is beaten by the most common users too.

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Emboar: 286-339 (79.2 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Emboar: 338-400 (93.6 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Emboar: 546-644 (151.2 - 178.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Even Bisharp can dish out over 60% with just Knock Off and Iron Head combined (or up to 80-90% if the opp Bish is carrying Low Kick).

Long story short, the fried ham would burn to a crisp if it tried to enter OU.

Maybe in Trick Room it would be okay? It has access to priority which, though isn't STAB, would still do more damage than STAB Mach Punch. You can't burn it, and it can boost attack with either PuP or Bulk Up, it can lower speed with Hammer Arm and of course Flare Blitz hits very hard with Reckless (plus the other coverage if you can squeeze it on - Head Smash, Wild Charge or Takedown). However the bulk, even with max HP that is appropriate to TR, still is somewhat lacking - if it had SD it would definitely be a shade better.

"It'd be good in Trick Room" is basically a polite death sentence for most would-be OU viable mons, and it comes up a lot regarding Emboar - with little behind it to back it up. Trick Room already has access to a LOT of slow heavy hitters, with all kinds of niche type combinations, and... it's not a particularly fanstastic archetype to start with. Any theorymon TR cores that Emboar would fit in particularly well with? IIRC Victini actually had some use on TR teams last gen, I don't remember why though.

"It'd be good in Trick Room" is basically a polite death sentence for most would-be OU viable mons, and it comes up a lot regarding Emboar - with little behind it to back it up. Trick Room already has access to a LOT of slow heavy hitters, with all kinds of niche type combinations, and... it's not a particularly fanstastic archetype to start with. Any theorymon TR cores that Emboar would fit in particularly well with? IIRC Victini actually had some use on TR teams last gen, I don't remember why though.
Victini was useful on TR teams because V-Create becomes spammable, since it lowers your speed and makes you "faster" in TR. So, suffice it to say, Victini sort of outclasses Emboar even in TR...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)